HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Paul Holmgren and Scott Howson had a lengthy discussion today

Old
02-11-2012, 06:32 PM
GScott

vCash: 500
Columbus's biggest holes are on defense and in goal and people actually think Wiz or Tyutin are going to be moved. Not likely.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:35 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
So, then why did they sign him to start with?
They were expecting to be competitive, even though they traded three of their more solid defenseman in the past few years.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnonymousPoster View Post
And unless a move is made, they're going to continue to play with 7 rookies in the lineup. So why wouldn't they make a move if they can't win with the lineup they have? Unless they want to tell Briere and Timonen that this is another year down the drain and they never were serious about competing this year.
Dude, I just said no panic moves. Does not mean no moves at all.

Flyers were very serious until Pronger went down. We can replace Pronger for 30-40 games but eventually we’ll need him to be a serious playoff contender. Pronger is not coming back. So no panic moves.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
They were expecting to be competitive, even though they traded three of their more solid defenseman in the past few years.
If it's a money issue, then they shouldn't be signing big ticket free agents. It's even worse for business to sign them to no-move clauses and then tell him it's time for him to go before he even plays 50 games with the team. That's even worse because people will talk, since there's not a ton of incentive to play for the Blue Jackets right now to start with.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:39 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Carle and a 4th for Methot?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Okay, we can stop wasting everyone's time with the Carter/PHI jokes now.

Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

I'm going to posit the craziest of the crazy theories you've ever read on HFB.

Howson and Holmgren weren't talking trade at all.

"Whaaaa?" you ask. Stay with me.

Much has been made in recent weeks about the CBJ definitely moving Carter. The latest muss and fuss started after a CBJ owners meeting in January - the local beat writer suggested following the meeting than "hints and whispers" suggest Carter will be on the move, left for us to decide whether it's because he's secretly asked for a trade - remember, when this first came up in Nov/Dec(?), Carter was asked point blank whether he'd requested a trade and he firmly denied - or if he's just so darn unhappy or if he's causing real problems - or even if ownership just wants a scapegoat. And oh, did we decide.

Carter is healthy(er) now, and playing reasonably well. Whoa. Is it because he's tryign to showcase himself? Or is he finally feeling the chance to be engaged on his new team? Speculation again is boundless.

Here's where the real craziness starts. Maybe Howson and CBJ ownership is trying to sort out the whole Jeff Carter thing themselves. Maybe they want as much information as possible before making a decision about his future in Columbus. And while you can't have expected Holmgren to be fully honest pre-trade - if he didn't want to be - he has no reason not to come clean now (for example, "Scott - I knew he was trouble, and I'm sorry I had to do that to you" or "Scott - he's a good kid who we thought needed to move on from this situation, but we hold him in the highest regard" - I'm offering no opinion on which of those Holmgren might be saying.

So Howson is gattering information that he will use to help him - and his bosses - decide what they're going to do moving forward, thus the "we'll see what happens."

Old
02-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Carle and a 4th for Methot?
Methot is out for 5 weeks. He is on IR

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
If it's a money issue, then they shouldn't be signing big ticket free agents. It's even worse for business to sign them to no-move clauses and then tell him it's time for him to go before he even plays 50 games with the team. That's even worse because people will talk, since there's not a ton of incentive to play for the Blue Jackets right now to start with.
Yet another reason the front office needs blown up and rebuilt, before anything else happens with the team.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post

Much has been made in recent weeks about the CBJ definitely moving Carter. The latest muss and fuss started after a CBJ owners meeting in January - the local beat writer suggested following the meeting than "hints and whispers" suggest Carter will be on the move, left for us to decide whether it's because he's secretly asked for a trade - remember, when this first came up in Nov/Dec(?), Carter was asked point blank whether he'd requested a trade and he firmly denied - or if he's just so darn unhappy or if he's causing real problems - or even if ownership just wants a scapegoat. And oh, did we decide.

Carter is healthy(er) now, and playing reasonably well. Whoa. Is it because he's tryign to showcase himself? Or is he finally feeling the chance to be engaged on his new team? Speculation again is boundless.

Here's where the real craziness starts. Maybe Howson and CBJ ownership is trying to sort out the whole Jeff Carter thing themselves. Maybe they want as much information as possible before making a decision about his future in Columbus. And while you can't have expected Holmgren to be fully honest pre-trade - if he didn't want to be - he has no reason not to come clean now (for example, "Scott - I knew he was trouble, and I'm sorry I had to do that to you" or "Scott - he's a good kid who we thought needed to move on from this situation, but we hold him in the highest regard" - I'm offering no opinion on which of those Holmgren might be saying.

So Howson is gattering information that he will use to help him - and his bosses - decide what they're going to do moving forward, thus the "we'll see what happens."
Interesting scenario. I could see it, even with the problems the CBJ front office has had since inception, I really don't see Carter being traded — I do believe they are shopping him, but only because of the fact that they may want to just start over. I don't think that will happen. Carter is still young and signed long term. Replace the pieces around him, improve the defense, add a proven goaltender. Then see how he performs, before doing anything drastic.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:

It's plausible and not crazy. I think maybe we need to bookmark this post and look back in a few weeks or months and we'll see how it turned out. Definitely something to chew on though DSL.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:48 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I don't think it'd be a good idea for CBJ to trade Carter, personally. Why sell low on a guy that you spent a lot on?

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:49 PM
DeflatedFootball7

What about John Moore? I almost forgot he existed and I was thinking about young defenseman. We might have drafted him if we had that pick in 09. Thoughts?

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:53 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
What about John Moore? I almost forgot he existed and I was thinking about young defenseman. We might have drafted him if we had that pick in 09. Thoughts?
I don't see why Colubmus would move him either. He'd obviously be a nice piece to have seeing as after Gustafsson and Bourdon, the Flyers have exactly 0 exciting prospects. For all you nitpickers out there, I'm not comparing Moore to Gus and MAB. Just saying those were the only NHL talent level prospects we have.

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Tripod

Maybe Scott just is saying "you owe me one!"

It is a telling tale that not that long ago Philly had a nice young core of:
Richards
Carter
Lupul
Upshall
Hartnell
Only Hartnell remains of the down town crew.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:55 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I don't see why Colubmus would move him either. He'd obviously be a nice piece to have seeing as after Gustafsson and Bourdon, the Flyers have exactly 0 exciting prospects. For all you nitpickers out there, I'm not comparing Moore to Gus and MAB. Just saying those were the only NHL talent level prospects we have.
Meh, Laurdisen, Bartulis, Kessel etc are decent. But still nothing to write home about. Bring on the draft

Old
02-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
As close to untouchable as a dman could get for the jackets.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:01 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

Probably Howson begging Homer to take back their last trade.....

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Jrtu

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
Adam Kimelman @NHLAdamK
Jackets GM Howson in Philly today. Had long meeting with Holmgren: "We'll see what happens before the 27th and we expect to be active."

ALSO

Adam Kimelman @NHLAdamK
Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier also here in Philly, but politely refused to comment.
Howson must've been begging Holmgren to take Carter back!

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:14 PM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Tough time piecing this together.

Philly needs a d-man, and Columbus doesn't have any good ones available really.

Philly wouldn't take Carter back, and they wouldn't want Nash's salary going against their caphit.

Don't see the fit
That's not necessarily true. Nash would be a great move for the flyers to make, but would have to move salary...

JVR + For Nash

HighOFFHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:26 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Sure its always a money issue, the whole idea of spending more was getting a more competitive, more sustainable product which creates more revenue.

If Columbus just kept on the status quo, picking 6th-8th overall, never being bad enough to get elite prospects and not ever being a playoff team, combined with losing money the writing would be on the wall for them to leave eventually.

About Wizniewski being traded, when that happens we'll talk. Right now it sounds like ********.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:37 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:

Very possible. Strong post!

Now, what about those 2 scouts?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
That's not necessarily true. Nash would be a great move for the flyers to make, but would have to move salary...

JVR + For Nash
JvR wasn't even playing today so why would Howson make a personal appearance if he was interested in JvR.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:05 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Very possible. Strong post!

Now, what about those 2 scouts?
They're not allowed to talk trade

I'm not interested in any defensemen from CLB personally.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:10 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
They're not allowed to talk trade

I'm not interested in any defensemen from CLB personally.
Moore? He's 19. Type of player we need going forward.