HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Hotspots

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2004, 12:02 AM
GoM

vCash: 500
Montreal Hotspots

Recap:

I'm turning 18 next month, as is my best friend (4 days after me). My mom said, since I'm gonna be an adult, she'll pay for me and a friend to go to Montreal for a weekend. Naturally, he was my choice. In short, he said yes, and now we're heading down, November 26-28.

So, we're both gonna be 18. We can do anything.

So, please enlighten me on some of the recommended 'hotspots' and how easy they're to get to, whether it's your favourite bar or...other places that one might think we'd want . Also, how easy they'd be to get to...we're staying at the Hotel Novatel, which I understand is right downtown, so yeah

*brushes up on 4-years-without-studying-French*

Old
10-26-2004, 01:17 AM
MacHabs93

Foufounes Electriques. corner of St-Catherine and St-Laurent

Old
10-26-2004, 01:50 AM
tritone

It really depends on what you want to do...there's a place for every type of person in Montreal.....maybe if you gove a little insight as to what type of place you like it would help....I mean a blues bar with a live band could be a dream come true for one person and a total yawn for another.

Old
10-26-2004, 06:42 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHabs93
Foufounes Electriques. corner of St-Catherine and St-Laurent
I'm not much of a fan of Foufs myself. Bah, to each his own I guess.

If you just head down to St. Laurent street, there's tons and tons of places (though it's a really long street) where I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Old
10-26-2004, 07:57 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
Recap:

I'm turning 18 next month, as is my best friend (4 days after me). My mom said, since I'm gonna be an adult, she'll pay for me and a friend to go to Montreal for a weekend. Naturally, he was my choice. In short, he said yes, and now we're heading down, November 26-28.

So, we're both gonna be 18. We can do anything.

So, please enlighten me on some of the recommended 'hotspots' and how easy they're to get to, whether it's your favourite bar or...other places that one might think we'd want . Also, how easy they'd be to get to...we're staying at the Hotel Novatel, which I understand is right downtown, so yeah

*brushes up on 4-years-without-studying-French*
Ask McPhee where his daughter lives, and then go as far away from there as you can.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, BTW.

Old
10-26-2004, 08:10 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Ask McPhee where his daughter lives, and then go as far away from there as you can.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, BTW.
Everyone picks on the hippies. You realize Bill, maybe his Mother will be alone.

Old
10-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Anthony P

Congratulations....

Tops would be a good choice.... it's in Laval ;-) about 20 mins by car from downtown montreal....

Also good is le vieux shack.... but that's in St Jerome.... about an hour north of montreal.... this place has the most beautiful women on the planet :-)

Another good one is L'Action off Viau on the 40 (east from montreal)..... great broads there too :-)

Old
10-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Only been to Montreal twice, and man im telling ya, there are many, many hot spots

Old
10-26-2004, 08:15 PM
GoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
It really depends on what you want to do...there's a place for every type of person in Montreal.....maybe if you gove a little insight as to what type of place you like it would help....I mean a blues bar with a live band could be a dream come true for one person and a total yawn for another.
Well, live blues would be awesome, actually haha.

Other than that...well....most live music would be good, and any sports bars or anything (assuming there would be the Alouettes or something on a saturday night)

What are your favourite places to go to (the board in general), I'll keep some of em in mind that perk my interest, and bam

Old
10-26-2004, 08:49 PM
E = CH²

I haven't been to Montréal a lot, but there's a little restaurant-bar on St-Denis called Bière et compagnie which is pretty cool to start the evening. If you like import beers, mussels (best I've ever had) and fries

Here are some comments by customers :

Quote:
This is an excellent Quartier Latin beer bar with two locations offers a great selection of Belgian beers with a good selection of Quebec micros, which IMHO have always been underated. One interesting note - the menu has caribou burgers (it tastes a little like sausage - thought I was going to say chicken?) A great place to go if you're in this beautiful city.
Last time I went was before 2001 and there weren't Caribou burgers but this guy went in 2003 so...

Quote:
Fantastik spot. I was given the name of this place from a friend that told me to get some mussels and a pint. They had 100 different beers, glasses to match the brand, and the PEI mussels were the best I have had. 40 different ways of preparing the mussels. Beer selection is everything from local beers on tap to top shelf belgian beer. Most of the Unibroue beers are available in bottle with glass to match. Music selection is everything from indie rock to break beats. I recommend this to anyone visiting Montreal.
You can also have cider and sangria.

Quote:
My wife and I visted Bieres et Compagnie during a recent visit to Montreal. On a Monday night, the place was fairly empty and they let us sit at a table even though we only wanted beers, not dinner (later, my wife saw the hostess tell another group that if they wanted beers only, they would need to sit at the bar...they decided not to stay).

The beer menu is entirely in French. It began with a description of how to taste and enjoy beers, noting three characteristics: color, smell and taste. Then, each beer was described in French, with the color, smell and taste mentionned. This was the first time I had seen the "nose" of the beer described on a beer menu.

The selection was heavy on Canadian beers, especially those from Quebec. There were NO beers from the U.S. offered...the selection included Canadian, German, English, Belgian and other European beers. There were approximately 12 on tap and the rest in bottles.

We tried a number of Canadian beers that I had not tried before. My wife enjoyed a beer brewed with maple syrup and I tried a A'Chouffe licensed to a brewery in Quebec. All the beers were served in appropriate glassware. The bartender actually washed and dried each glass as the beers were ordered so the glasses were extremely clean.

All in all great beer bar to visit when you're in Montreal...and the mussels smelled pretty good too. Next time...
Quote:
The only downside is they say, you need to eat, because they don't have their full alcohol permit. If you know the law, you might know it is totally wrong, just a marketing way to get people to eat. The selection of beers was better a few year ago. Now, I must agree with everyone here saying their selections tend to be more "Québécois" oriented, nevertheless you can find some beers you wont find in any others bars aroud town.

It is a good place to go, if you want to eat and drink at the same time before going out.
Last time I went was probablye 4-5 years ago, I went about 4-5 times and they never told me I had to eat something. But now that you know that they can't really force you to eat, maybe you can get out of this one. But that would mean you'd be missing out on those awesome mussels and exotic caribou burgers

Plus the waitresses are absolutely gorgeous, last time I went anyway.

Here's the adress :

Bieres et Compagnie
4350 Rue St Denis
(between Sherbrooke & Mount Royal Metro stops)
Montreal, QC H2J2L1
(514) 844-0394
Listed Since: July 1998
Last Updated: December 2002

Old
10-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

It depends a lot of what you actually want to do.

A nice place is the Brutopia on Crescent (near the Bell Center in fact), they have a good selection of homebrewed beers.

Old
10-26-2004, 10:00 PM
GoM

We'll probably just end up wandering around looking for fun-looking spots

Thanks though, keep em coming

Old
10-26-2004, 10:34 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Brutopia is good, so is Madhatters (across the street from Brutopia).

Personally, my favorite place is a crappy little bar on Prince Arthur called Cafe Verranda. Me and my friends have been going there for a long time, back when it was Cafe du Nuit. It became our bar after Le Bal Masque burned down.

Verranda has cheap beer and cheap chicken wings. However, beware for 16 year olds, they infest the place.

Old
10-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Madevilz

Depends what you are looking for.
I went to the Fouf before, it's an ok place, scuse me for my vocabulary, but its more for "punks".
If you are into clubing, there's the Boom and the Loft.
And since your 18, why not strip clubs lol
I personnally recommend the Downtown club!
mwhehehe

Old
10-27-2004, 12:47 AM
Bugsy

The best places in Montreal usually have "spectacles" written in neon lights! In those places, you are sure to meet someone by the name of Amber or Crystal or Sapphire!

Gentlemen, put your hands together for.................

Old
10-27-2004, 12:56 AM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz
Depends what you are looking for.
I went to the Fouf before, it's an ok place, scuse me for my vocabulary, but its more for "punks".
If you are into clubing, there's the Boom and the Loft.
And since your 18, why not strip clubs lol
I personnally recommend the Downtown club!
mwhehehe
I recall the GoM likes punk music from his thread in the lounge. Therefore, the Foufs could be an interesting place for him to go.

Old
10-27-2004, 01:01 AM
E = CH²

I agree with J-D on this one. Les Foufounes électriques (which btw could be translated as "The electric buttocks") is definately a place GoM should check out.

Old
10-27-2004, 01:21 AM
GoM

And where's this Fouf?

Quote:
The best places in Montreal usually have "spectacles" written in neon lights! In those places, you are sure to meet someone by the name of Amber or Crystal or Sapphire!

Gentlemen, put your hands together for.................
(a)

Old
10-27-2004, 09:21 AM
joepaco

If you ask me ... stay away from Crescent street . It' over-rated big-time. the only good thing there is ''Boustan''. That guy is a great Montreal figure.

You think of hitting up the after-hours ?

Circus is very nice indeed

Last edited by joepaco: 10-27-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old
10-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
I think that for punk fans there's also L'X or something like that? Someone could give me more info about that?

Old
10-27-2004, 10:14 AM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
And where's this Fouf?

(a)

On Ste-Catherine street a bit east of St-Laurent.

Old
10-27-2004, 10:21 AM
joepaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
I think that for punk fans there's also L'X or something like that? Someone could give me more info about that?

It's closed down . and it was more od a mini+ crummy looking '' Club Soda'' for punks

Old
10-27-2004, 10:29 AM
GoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaco
You think of hitting up the after-hours ?
Yeah, that's the idea, primarily

Old
10-27-2004, 04:26 PM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
Yeah, that's the idea, primarily
I agree with joepaco. Circus is a nice place if you want to go to an after-hour. Redlite is also decent, but a bit far.

Old
10-28-2004, 10:39 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
Recap:

Don't be offended by my comment but ...... way to enter the adulthood, mom is paying for you. lol.

I know nothing is wrong with that, I just found it really, but really funny.

Hahaha since i'll be an adult, SHE'S paying for me. lol

Closed Thread