HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Spain, best sporting nation?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2012, 12:33 PM
  #76
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
So wait, countries like Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France, and Spain count as Handball countries but China doesn't count for Baseball. That makes absolutely no sense.
Yeah that make no sense to count France, the current world champions, amongst the competitive handball countries.

They obviously can't compare to the mighty Chinese baseball team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Go tell Brazilians they're a Handball country and see how hard they laugh at you.
And I laugh at you for bringing up a country I didn' even mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
We were talking about countries that are competitive, not ones that are Baseball countries.
That's obviously what I was talking about as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
And guess what China is competitive at Baseball.
No. They are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
I also never said South Africa or Italy are baseball countries but rather that they are competitive enough which is true.
No, they are not competitive.

Besides, Italy is even less of a European team than Holland. There's hardly any Italian in the team.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
BTW, in the history of the World Handball Championships, how many teams outside of Europe have placed in the top 4? Don't bother looking it up because I'll tell you the answer is 2. Egypt was 4th in 2001 and Tunisia was 4th in 2005. That's over all 22 times the event has been held. Yeah, it not's dominated by one region at all is it?
And who exactly said it was not dominated by one region, genius?

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:53 PM
  #77
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Yeah that make no sense to count France, the current world champions, amongst the competitive handball countries.

They obviously can't compare to the mighty Chinese baseball team.
You were acting like I was saying Baseball was the #1 sport in Italy, China etc.

Quote:
And I laugh at you for bringing up a country I didn' even mention.
You quoted Jevo's list of 21 teams including Brazil and added two more to it. You later stated that all those teams are competitive. China is just as competitive at Baseball as some of those countries.

Quote:
That's obviously what I was talking about as well.
There was nothing obvious at all. Choose your words more wisely.


Quote:
No. They are not.
Yes, they are. Losing 4-0 to the 2x champs is competitive.

Quote:
No, they are not competitive.

Besides, Italy is even less of a European team than Holland. There's hardly any Italian in the team.
They're both somewhat competitive but yeah you're right about there being hardly any players born in Italy.


Quote:
And who exactly said it was not dominated by one region, genius?
Well, isn't the argument about which sport is more popular worldwide. Kind of hard to believe that a sport where 90% of the countries in their World Cup and all their top placed teams come from the same continent is more popular worldwide than Baseball.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:45 PM
  #78
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
You were acting like I was saying Baseball was the #1 sport in Italy, China etc.
I don't think "baseball country" means baseball is the #1 sport in the country.
I would certainly say that Sweden for instance is a hockey country, yet hockey is not the #1 sport in the country. Wouldn't you?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Yes, they are. Losing 4-0 to the 2x champs is competitive.

They're both somewhat competitive but yeah you're right about there being hardly any players born in Italy.
Your insistance that there are 8-9 competitive countries and not just 7-8 is really quite funny.

Ok so a bunch of Americans parading as "Italians" are "somewhat competitive". Fair enough. Well you know what? Italy does not give a fk.

To use it as evidence that baseball is gaining popularity worldwide is laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Well, isn't the argument about which sport is more popular worldwide. Kind of hard to believe that a sport where 90% of the countries in their World Cup and all their top placed teams come from the same continent is more popular worldwide than Baseball.
You're not very good at logic.

There's hardly anyone playing or following baseball outside of maybe 10 countries. There are a lot more countries that are into handball and where these countries are located is completely irrelevant. Do Canadians count for less because they happen to be near the USA?

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:14 PM
  #79
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Your insistance that there are 8-9 competitive countries and not just 7-8 is really quite funny.

Ok so a bunch of Americans parading as "Italians" are "somewhat competitive". Fair enough. Well you know what? Italy does not give a fk.

To use it as evidence that baseball is gaining popularity worldwide is laughable.
It's closer to 16 teams.

Quote:
You're not very good at logic.

There's hardly anyone playing or following baseball outside of maybe 10 countries. There are a lot more countries that are into handball and where these countries are located is completely irrelevant. Do Canadians count for less because they happen to be near the USA?
Our definitions of worldwide popularity must differ then. One sport is popular in Europe and the odd other country while the other is popular in North America, Central America, Carribbean, and Asia. You could even add Australia too. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more people in world who play Handball than Baseball but since 90% of them come from Europe it doesn't mean much.

Have a great weekend. It's a long weekend in Canada so don't expect to here from me until Tuesday.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:23 PM
  #80
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 9,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Dude, you're trying to be an idiot here. Just take RUS+GER+FRA+SPA and it's already a bigger population than the USA (or "America" as you call it).
ohh please, in that case let me add Japan to the USA, who's the idiot now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
The world cup is for amateurs and minor-leaguers, that's irrelevant. Hungary could win the equivalent ice-hockey competition.
ok first of all Cuba sends its full team to all competitions and in this particular one they had pretty much the same team they sent to the World Baseball Classic, the squad Holland sent wasn't even their full team...2nd of all, use your common sense a little, your whole point is that Holland is not competitive in the baseball world, therefore what does it matter if it was amateurs or professionals Holland is not supposed to win the darn competition, yet they did, against one of the best in the world, and without their full team against one of the best in the world who so happened to bring their full squad lolsss so much for your argument..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Bar one or two, all of their players are from Europe.
ok that's now, but look at previous squads...and even now the ancestry of most players isn't even from Europe, btw if you're born in French Guiana for example like Malouda he is still French FYI, just like it was or it still is (I'm not sure how the citizenship status of people from the Dutch Antilles is now)...either way what's your point? It's still Holland no matter what semantics you want to argue, their passports prove it, and that's all that counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Are you really arguing that the USA, Puerto Rico and Venezuela are three different continents??
I don't know where you are from or where you were raised/educated but I'm just going to assume that books haven't been updated there since the 15th century therefore I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...but just so that you know, the USA and Puerto Rico are in different continent than Venezuela..and FIY this is coming from someone born and raised in the Americas, therefore you should now know that is how we are taught.

so right there, that's 2 continents, Holland is in Europe and Japan is in Asia and that should give you the 4 continents I originally mentioned... unless you are now going to school me on how they should count under 1 continent, because they are located in the Eurasian landmass, and how some people consider this 1 continent bla bla bla lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Do you realise with that reasoning France alone is already 6 different continents?
ummm...lols...whaaat???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Whether you like it or not, USA, Cuba and Venezuela are from the same geographical region, disirregardless of what "continent" you believe them to belong to.
First of all, I don't "believe them to be" in a different continent...they..are..
Second of all, a "geographic region" is rather a broad term, which can be applied to any area on the earth's surface, from great landmasses such as "Eurasia" or "America", to more specific such as the continents of South America or North America, to even more specific like Central America or the Caribbean or the Balkans in Europe, to even more specific such as the Badlands in the US or the Urals in Russia etc...


Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Continental boundaries are irrelevant here, and they're not even universally accepted. For your information, in most countries USA and VEN are regarded as being from the same continent of America (yes it usually refers to a continent, not a country). I'm pretty sure that's how they see it in Venezuela. That should tell you all you need to know about the relevance of the concept of continent.
Again, I don't know where you are from but you are clearly from a country that still regards everything from Alaska to Patagonia as a single continent...and I can tell, that you are clearly NOT from the Americas by making such uneducated comments... I am, not only have I lived almost my entire life in the USA, but I was born in Latin America and have traveled in both North and South America, YOU ARE WRONG!!! hahahah ask an Argentinian if they belong in the same continent as Canada, or a Canadian that they are South Americans lolsss good luck with that...also, it's pretty much an accepted conventional fact worldwide, there are 7 continents, again update your books dude.

and it's pretty funny how you try to "teach" me about how America is not a country this and that, you're seriously butt hurt, face it we call the USA as America, even in Latin America people from the USA are known as "Americanos" , and all over the world when you say the word American, they instantly relate it to someone from the USA, so seriously stop you're not going anywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Yeah you didn't even know that. You don't seem to be very knowledgeable.
I suggest you first go an learn some basic geography and geographic terms, before making such comments.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
You might as well lump cricket and baseball together. Also FYI rugby football and football association also share the same name.
wow how dumb, screw it, let's just lump anything that uses some sort of ball together!!! Cricket and baseball are totally different sports just like rugby and soccer, that's not the case with field and ice hockey, is that so hard to understand really?


Last edited by Panteras: 02-17-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:58 PM
  #81
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,790
vCash: 1200
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
I thought the smilie kind would indicate that I was joking but I guess not since you're the 2nd person to repsond to that comment. As I explained to the 1st person, I was joking as there are a lot of people who play Soccer in the US but overall it's not very popular when compared to Football, Baseball and Basketball.
and there is NOT a lot of people who play Lacrosse in NZ or Australia, and overall it isn't even a blip on the radar compared to Rugby, League, AFL, Cricket, Basketball, Soccer.

Soccer in the USA is much, much, much bigger than Lacrosse is down here.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:54 AM
  #82
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
ohh please, in that case let me add Japan to the USA, who's the idiot now?
Poland and Egypt say hi.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
ok that's now, but look at previous squads...
And who wasn't from Europe in previous squads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
and even now the ancestry of most players isn't even from Europe, btw if you're born in French Guiana for example like Malouda he is still French FYI,
He's one of the few exceptions, the majority of the players are still from Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
just like it was or it still is (I'm not sure how the citizenship status of people from the Dutch Antilles is now)...either way what's your point?
The point is that it's stupid to use a bunch of guys from the Dutch Antilles to support the claim that baseball is somewhat popular in parts of Europe since the Dutch Antilles are not part of Europe.

The same goes for the team that for some reason plays under the name as the European country of Italy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
It's still Holland no matter what semantics you want to argue,
Actually it's not Holland. It's not even technically the Netherlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
I don't know where you are from or where you were raised/educated but I'm just going to assume that books haven't been updated there since the 15th century therefore I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...but just so that you know, the USA and Puerto Rico are in different continent than Venezuela..and FIY this is coming from someone born and raised in the Americas, therefore you should now know that is how we are taught.
lol, you must not be very bright if you're ethnocentric enough to not realise geographical continents are social constructs and that the number of continents you've been taught is just one of many models.

If your education system was unable to teach you that and insisted there's a universally agreed definition of continent, you may want to start by reading this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
so right there, that's 2 continents,
That's not for most of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
on how they should count under 1 continent, because they are located in the Eurasian landmass
Japan is not on the Eurasian landmass. Many people in Japan don't consider themselves Asian either. Quick!, claim another continent there, as if it matters!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
ummm...lols...whaaat???
Central America, North America, South America, Africa, Oceania, Europe. That's five if you want to disregard CentrAm.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
First of all, I don't "believe them to be" in a different continent...they..are..
No, they "are" not. Some people considered them to be, which is very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
Second of all, a "geographic region" is rather a broad term, which can be applied to any area on the earth's surface, from great landmasses such as "Eurasia" or "America", to more specific such as the continents of South America or North America, to even more specific like Central America or the Caribbean or the Balkans in Europe, to even more specific such as the Badlands in the US or the Urals in Russia etc...
And that's exactly why it is more relevant that the notion of "continent" which is loosely-defined itself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
Again, I don't know where you are from but you are clearly from a country that still regards everything from Alaska to Patagonia as a single continent...and I can tell, that you are clearly NOT from the Americas by making such uneducated comments...
A USonian calling others "uneducated", now that's rich.

I am educated enough to realise my worldview is just that and is not the only worthy one.

You quite evidently can't claim the same.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
and it's pretty funny how you try to "teach" me about how America is not a country this and that, you're seriously butt hurt, face it we call the USA as America, even in Latin America people from the USA are known as "Americanos" , and all over the world when you say the word American, they instantly relate it to someone from the USA,
I do call them that myself most of the time. It does not follow that the country is named "America".

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:44 AM
  #83
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 9,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Poland and Egypt say hi.
in that case Mexico and South Korea will say Hola and 안녕하세요 (thank god for google translate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
And who wasn't from Europe in previous squads?
You should know this as a football fan..

World Cup 98 squad born out of France= Bernard Lama (French Guiana which according to you is not France), Patrick Viera (Senegal), Desailly(Ghana), Thuram (Guadalupe which shares same status as French Guiana), Karembeu (New Caledonia same status as Guadalupe and French Guiana)

World Cup 98 of outside ancestry= Djorkaeff, Zidane, Henry, Diomede, Boghossain, Trezeguet,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
He's one of the few exceptions, the majority of the players are still from Europe.
He's still French by birth though, which was my point about him and the Dutch Antillean players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
The point is that it's stupid to use a bunch of guys from the Dutch Antilles to support the claim that baseball is somewhat popular in parts of Europe since the Dutch Antilles are not part of Europe.
I never claimed that it was popular in Europe, my point is that a European country is able field a rather competitive baseball team...if you have problems with where these people come from, I will let you know that by your standards a non European team won Euro 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Actually it's not Holland. It's not even technically the Netherlands.
Aruba, Curacao and St. Marteen make up along with the Netherlands the Kingdom of the Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
lol, you must not be very bright if you're ethnocentric enough to not realise geographical continents are social constructs and that the number of continents you've been taught is just one of many models.

If your education system was unable to teach you that and insisted there's a universally agreed definition of continent, you may want to start by reading this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent
and you must not be bright enough to realize that on the link you posted it clearly states and I quote:

"with seven regions commonly regarded as continents—they are (from largest in size to smallest): Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
That's not for most of the world.
ohh please what do you know, now you speak for the education system of Africa, Asia, Oceania, etc.....??

I can link you to National Geographic though, an actually reputed website unlike wikipedia

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/faq/geography.html

"By convention there are seven continents: Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and Antarctica. Some geographers list only six continents, combining Europe and Asia into Eurasia. In parts of the world, students learn that there are just five continents: Eurasia, Australia, Africa, Antarctica, and the Americas."

so as you can see in some places people are even taught 5, but as the article and even your wiki link state, the common accepted one is 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Japan is not on the Eurasian landmass. Many people in Japan don't consider themselves Asian either. Quick!, claim another continent there, as if it matters!
well DUHHH Japan is an island, I could of used Mongolia or South Korea the point still stands, the fact that you're being so technical is hilarious and clearly demonstrates you are just grasping at straws...by your same logic I could've said you were wrong to use Puerto Rico in your failed argument of the Americas because it's not in the American landmass, desperate much?

and what exactly is your point about what the Japanese people think? I thought "ethnocentricism" was another attempt by you to claim that I'm wrong to say there are 7 continents, hahaha somehow it matters what the Japanese think about Asia, but it doesn't matter how people from the Americas think about the Americas...gosh those "ethnocentric" peoples from the Americas lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Central America, North America, South America, Africa, Oceania, Europe. That's five if you want to disregard CentrAm.
I have no clue what you're trying to say here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
No, they "are" not. Some people considered them to be, which is very different.
than why are we even arguing about this? You count them as 6 , we the people from the Americas count them as 7, so when I counted them as 7 why the hell are you going to argue with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
And that's exactly why it is more relevant that the notion of "continent" which is loosely-defined itself.
than screw it, count it as regions and baseball still has more relevance in more regions than handball, which was what the original argument was all about.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
A USonian calling others "uneducated", now that's rich. :laugh:
I smell Eurosnob


Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
I am educated enough to realise my worldview is just that and is not the only worthy one.
Yet you are quick to attack others' viewpoints and speak for others as well, as apparently you had either been to, or knew Venezuelans to know their world-view, and you were laughing your ass off when I counted the USA and Venezuela in separate continents, yes very educated you are..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
You quite evidently can't claim the same.
now that's rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
I do call them that myself most of the time. It does not follow that the country is named "America".
right, the whole world knows this, but the whole world is not going to start calling us "United Statians"?? any time soon, so again...why even bring these technicalities we already know about, it just seems like you were trying to bring irrelevant crap up which are worthless to the argument we had at hand....which by the way it has gone totally off topic..
------------------------

the topic was about Spain being the best sporting nation in the world at the moment and perhaps for the past 5 or so years...let's discuss that.

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:55 AM
  #84
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
World Cup 98 squad born out of France= Bernard Lama (French Guiana which according to you is not France),
He was not born in Guyana and I have no idea why you act like I said it wasn't France. It sure is, it's just not in Europe. But he wasn't born there anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
Patrick Viera (Senegal), Desailly(Ghana), Thuram (Guadalupe which shares same status as French Guiana), Karembeu (New Caledonia same status as Guadalupe and French Guiana)
Vieira, Thuram and Desailly all grew up in the mainland, so that's only 1 guy who learned his football outside Europe. Even if you count all 4, 4 out of 22 is still a tiny minority.

That's clearly not even remotely comparable to the Dutch baseball team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
World Cup 98 of outside ancestry= Djorkaeff, Zidane, Henry, Diomede, Boghossain,
How are these guys even remotely relevant?
They were all born and raised in mainland France.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
I never claimed that it was popular in Europe, my point is that a European country is able field a rather competitive baseball team...if you have problems with where these people come from, I will let you know that by your standards a non European team won Euro 2000
Once again: only a tiny minority of these guys are not from Europe, and I think only one of them didn't grow up in mainland France.


Quote:
I have no clue what you're trying to say here.
France is five different continents (or 6 if one counts the carribean as being distinct from NA and SA).



Quote:
than screw it, count it as regions and baseball still has more relevance in more regions than handball, which was what the original argument was all about.
No it doesn't. Baseball is popular in two regions and that's it.

If the USA and Venezuela are not part of the same region, then how in the world are Spain and Russia in the same one? The only way you can reach that conclusion is by using the irrelevant notion of "continent" (whose borders sometimes split cities in two, that's how relevant a geographical notion it is) and then only one of many definitions of it.

Quote:
you were laughing your ass off when I counted the USA and Venezuela in separate continents,
And I certainly still am because not only is it not universally accepted, but even if it was it is completely irrelevant, the two countries are in the same region of the world disirregardless of what continent we believe them to belong to.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:53 PM
  #85
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 9,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
He was not born in Guyana and I have no idea why you act like I said it wasn't France. It sure is, it's just not in Europe. But he wasn't born there anyway.
you don't say it's not France, but are quick to categorize the Dutch Antilles as not part of the Netherlands..it's the same thing...and yeah we can all agree it's not in Europe that much is clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Vieira, Thuram and Desailly all grew up in the mainland, so that's only 1 guy who learned his football outside Europe. Even if you count all 4, 4 out of 22 is still a tiny minority.
how the hell am I or you supposed to know the number of Dutch Antilles born players that were raised in the Caribbean or Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
That's clearly not even remotely comparable to the Dutch baseball team.
not even "remotely" comparable, give or take a few players big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
How are these guys even remotely relevant?
They were all born and raised in mainland France.
again since we don't know about where the Dutch Antillean born players were actually raised it's all speculation for now isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Once again: only a tiny minority of these guys are not from Europe, and I think only one of them didn't grow up in mainland France.
The Dutch baseball team still had a whole bunch of players born in Europe, you will make a better case with Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
France is five different continents (or 6 if one counts the carribean as being distinct from NA and SA).
So, you are saying that because France has overseas departments France counts as 5 different continents? I'm honestly still lost....


Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
No it doesn't. Baseball is popular in two regions and that's it.
but I thought we agreed that regions could be anything from as broad as Eurasia, to as specific as Saxony...therefore, continents is the best way to classify it...you're just manipulating terms and words to your liking and it's ridiculous...for handball we can say that it's popular in as few as 1 region, Eurasia, to as many as Iberia, Central Europe, Balkans, Scandinavia etc. etc.. same for baseball, as broad as "the Americas", to as numerous as the Caribbean, East Asia, Central America etc. etc. etc.

therefore, to find a middle way, continents is the most common sense and obvious classification, which is also the one used by the world sport governing bodies such as FIFA as far as I'm concerned etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
If the USA and Venezuela are not part of the same region, then how in the world are Spain and Russia in the same one? The only way you can reach that conclusion is by using the irrelevant notion of "continent" (whose borders sometimes split cities in two, that's how relevant a geographical notion it is) and then only one of many definitions of it.
1st of all, I never said USA and Venezuela were not part of the same region, technically they are and technically they are not... 2nd of all the same can be said about Spain and Russia, what exactly is your point? read above..


Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
And I certainly still am because not only is it not universally accepted, but even if it was it is completely irrelevant, the two countries are in the same region of the world disirregardless of what continent we believe them to belong to.
your arguments have more holes in them than a sieve, you keep contradicting yourself in each comment you make and just seem to be all over the place....now you say that you still laugh at me because I claim there are 7 continents, yet in your previous post you were all snobbish claiming to be educated and how you don't claim that your viewpoint is the only valid one..lols..well make up your damn mind...hahha you're a joke....and finally I already provided you with two quotes from two separate links including one you yourself provided in which they clearly state how 7 is the most widely accepted count for continents, dude seriously stop embarrassing yourself you're beating a dead horse

anyways, I'm done, I'm already tired of pointing out your inconsistencies and irrelevances, you can have the last word for all I care, let's get back on topic which was Spain.


Last edited by Panteras: 02-18-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:34 PM
  #86
Uncle Rotter
Registered User
 
Uncle Rotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,076
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioIC...eature=related

1:55

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:36 PM
  #87
Uncle Rotter
Registered User
 
Uncle Rotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,076
vCash: 500
Back to Spain...

So Spain is the greatest sporting nation, based on having the best men's soccer team, the 2nd best men's basketball team & the 2nd best male tennis player in the world?

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:02 PM
  #88
Uncle Rotter
Registered User
 
Uncle Rotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,076
vCash: 500
Here's how Spain finished at the last Summer Olympics-15th:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Su...cs_medal_table

If you add the last Winter Olympics, Spain falls from 15th to tied for 18th in Gold medals, from tied for 14th to 17th in total medals.

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:16 PM
  #89
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 9,321
vCash: 500
but should we be using the Olympics as benchmarks for best sporting nations? by that logic China should be the current # 1 and they are irrelevant in any major sport

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:38 AM
  #90
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 19,263
vCash: 50
Are we talking about both men's and women's competition here, or only mens? Because if we're talking about both handball is a major factor on world wide sports stage and it's popularity trancends European borderlines.

Also anyone who's arguing that baseball is more fun to play than handball needs to get his head checked. But as a former handballer I'm probably biased, so I'll let the videos below do the talking for me.












Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:17 AM
  #91
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
how the hell am I or you supposed to know the number of Dutch Antilles born players that were raised in the Caribbean or Europe?
They were raised in the Antilles and that's why they play baseball, because the sport is popular there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
again since we don't know about where the Dutch Antillean born players were actually raised it's all speculation for now isn't it?
I was merely pointing out that these guys (Zidane etc.) come from Europe disirregardless of their ancestry. The two or three Dutch players from the mainland could also have a foreign grandmother for all we know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
So, you are saying that because France has overseas departments France counts as 5 different continents? I'm honestly still lost....
I'm saying counting the number of continents is utterly stupid.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
but I thought we agreed that regions could be anything from as broad as Eurasia, to as specific as Saxony...therefore, continents is the best way to classify it...
Continents can also be a lot of different things.

If a sport is popular in Istanbul and nowhere else, does that make it popular on two continents to you? And if it is also popular in Panama then that's four continents? That may be technically 4 continents but it's still only two regions.

The USA and Venezuela may or may not be on two different continents, and they are not if the International baseball federation is anything to go by, but that is a moot point since they're still in the same general region, as are both sides of the Bosphorus.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
you're just manipulating terms and words to your liking and it's ridiculous...for handball we can say that it's popular in as few as 1 region, Eurasia, to as many as Iberia, Central Europe, Balkans, Scandinavia etc. etc..
That's exacly my point, you insist on USA and VEN being two different regions or continents or whatever you want to call it, while apparently Spain and Russia and everything in between is just one region. That's not very consistent. And it's not like Russia is not (usually regarded as being) on two continents, but for some reason you disregarded this as well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
continents is the most common sense and obvious classification, which is also the one used by the world sport governing bodies such as FIFA as far as I'm concerned etc.
Genius, surely you realise that both baseball's and handball's governing bodies treat "the Americas" as a single continent, right?

I guess they use common sense and you dont.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:19 PM
  #92
Machinehead
Pump it up Puempel!
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 65,407
vCash: 50
With all due respect, my policy is if you don't play hockey you don't matter.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:15 PM
  #93
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 9,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
I'm saying counting the number of continents is utterly stupid.
so if counting continents, which can vary anywhere from 5 to 7 (even though I already posted links that clearly demonstrate how 7 is the most common accepted number), is stupid....than surely counting number of countries and regions is titanically epically moronically ********, since there are de facto and de jure countries all over the place, and regions can vary from 2 to a 1000...so wtf is your point, clearly continents makes more sense since it encompasses all of these anomalies..go ahead, I'm waiting on how you think international sport popularity should be counted now...I wanna hear this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Continents can also be a lot of different things.
are you seriously claiming continents can be "a lot of different things" as opposed to regions....LMAO!!


Last edited by Panteras: 02-19-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:19 PM
  #94
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 9,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
With all due respect, my policy is if you don't play hockey you don't matter.
If there is something I've come to find out is that your policy is as valid as the tennis guy who says the same about tennis and so on...it's all relative..although there are some that truly don't matter, like bobsledding or something lol

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:32 AM
  #95
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
so if counting continents, which can vary anywhere from 5 to 7 (even though I already posted links that clearly demonstrate how 7 is the most common accepted number), is stupid....than surely counting number of countries and regions is titanically epically moronically ********, since there are de facto and de jure countries all over the place, and regions can vary from 2 to a 1000...so wtf is your point, clearly continents makes more sense since it encompasses all of these anomalies..go ahead, I'm waiting on how you think international sport popularity should be counted now...I wanna hear this.
blablabla...

My point is that "Far east" makes more sense than "Asia" when you want to describe where Japan and South Korea are located.

Is Far East loosely defined? Maybe. It still defines the area with a lot more precision than "Asia" does.

Similarily if you wanted to say where Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine and Georgia are located together as a group, you would say "Black sea region", not "Asia and Europe".

Well, maybe not you, but someone with at least moderate intelligence would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
are you seriously claiming continents can be "a lot of different things" as opposed to regions....LMAO!!
It's too bad that I have to teach you your own language, but "also" is not usually used to mean "as opposed to".

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:22 AM
  #96
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 9,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
My point is that "Far east" makes more sense than "Asia" when you want to describe where Japan and South Korea are located.
So wait, now lumping Japan and South Korea under Far East (obviously meant to say North East Asia) makes more sense which is a more specific term, yet you wanted to lump the USA and Venezuela under something as broad as "the Americas" lmao but wait I thought Asia was wrong lolss can you possibly be any more inconsistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
It's too bad that I have to teach you your own language, but "also" is not usually used to mean "as opposed to".
It's too bad you're just finding anything to respond to except what my post was about because it's too embarrassing for you to face your idiocy


Last edited by Panteras: 02-20-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:09 AM
  #97
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
So wait, now lumping Japan and South Korea under Far East (obviously meant to say North East Asia) makes more sense which is a more specific term, yet you wanted to lump the USA and Venezuela under something as broad as "the Americas"
No, simpleton, the region I was grouping them together was not America. That would be the continent, a notion that I said many times was irrelevant.

This is very similar to the example of Turkey and Romania being grouped together in a region that is neither Europe nor Asia let alone Eurasia. One would think a brilliant mind like yourself would have seen that

The whole point of using regions was to not lump the whole continent(s) together and make baseball seem more important than it really is.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:04 PM
  #98
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 9,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
No, simpleton, the region I was grouping them together was not America. That would be the continent, a notion that I said many times was irrelevant.
As clear as day you said word by word that baseball was just 1 region+2 countries, so yes you did group them together into the Americas as a region, time and time again you keep saying that they belong in the same region so don't backtrack now and take your stupidity like a man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
This is very similar to the example of Turkey and Romania being grouped together in a region that is neither Europe nor Asia let alone Eurasia. One would think a brilliant mind like yourself would have seen that
You certainly do not need a brilliant mind to see that if you're going to argue against using continents because there is a variance in how many there are (even though again I proved how 7 is the common agreed count and the variance is only from 5-7) than logically you couldn't possibly count regions because they are monumentally more varied...and it doesn't take a brilliant mind either to realize that you're a flip flopper, inconsistent, and all over the place since you have argued for both broad and specific region count while at the same time saying that continents shouldn't be counted because they vary lolss that's like saying "hey guys lets count number of popular movies but lets not group them into genres because that's too broad, instead lets count them by actors" LOLSWUT??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
The whole point of using regions was to not lump the whole continent(s) together and make baseball seem more important than it really is.
What you need to do is first make up your mind, if you think counting by continents is wrong according to your criteria, than you simply have no grounds to count by regions (Black Sea Region/the Americas/North East Asia etc.) or countries..if you still want to count it by regions, even though it goes against your argument, than make up your mind if you want to count it as something as broad as the Americas or as something specific like North East Asia or the Black Sea region etc.. but you can't have it both ways because again, you're contradicting yourself..come back to me when you decide

**btw if you want to count it as something as broad as the Americas, which you already have, than surely you can't argue against continents hahahahha honestly it's like you're seriously a joke***

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:47 AM
  #99
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
As clear as day you said word by word that baseball was just 1 region+2 countries, so yes you did group them together into the Americas as a region, time and time again you keep saying that they belong in the same region so don't backtrack now and take your stupidity like a man
Of course I group them in the same region, it's just not America.

Similarily I would group Norway and Denmark in the same region, and that would not be "Europe". Do they also belong to Europe? Course they do. They also belong to planet Earth. But Europe, like America is way too broad when we're only talking about a couple of countries from the same part of the continent.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
You certainly do not need a brilliant mind to see that if you're going to argue against using continents because there is a variance in how many there are
I don't argue against using continents because there is a variance in how many there are.

I argue against using continents and there is a variance in how many there are (meaning using them doesn't even amount to anything conclusive).

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:03 PM
  #100
Bionda
AL East Champions
 
Bionda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
With all due respect, my policy is if you don't play hockey you don't matter.
That's a very.. Canadian perspective.

Spain is doing very well in all regards, but to proclaim itself as the best? They certainly excel at a wide variety of sports currently..

However, it is a strange claim, and hard to substantiate, because sport preferences are all relative.

I'm a huge rugby fan and play lacrosse (not common outside North America), so opinions will obviously vary on the matter.

But all that aside, Spain is doing quite well at the world stage, excited about Euro 2012

Bionda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.