HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So so so here we go: Are We Playoff Bound Now?

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2011, 08:49 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
So so so here we go: Are We Playoff Bound Now?

do you think that we have what it takes to make the playoffs with this team?

yes / no?

why?

why not?

to me i'm only unsure about our Goaltending situation. i would much rather a good vet backup than The Monster in that position. if Gus fails like he did last year then all we have are unproven AHL goalies to take his place. i am confident that Burke will rectify this if something goes sour. needless to say i worry a little bit about Reimer's 2nd season.

Old
07-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Leafssss

Depends how Connolly, Kessel and Lupul gel, and whether or not Liles and Franson fit into our system.

Old
07-04-2011, 08:58 AM
MJ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post

yes / no?

why?

why not?

to me i'm only unsure about our Goaltending situation. i would much rather a good vet backup than The Monster in that position. if Gus fails like he did last year then all we have are unproven AHL goalies to take his place. i am confident that Burke will rectify this if something goes sour. needless to say i worry a little bit about Reimer's 2nd season.
We are getting there and not there as yet - I am not really worried about our goaltending as we do have capable goaltenders in our system

Old
07-04-2011, 08:59 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Depends how Connolly, Kessel and Lupul gel, and whether or not Liles and Franson fit into our system.
say that C K and L don't gel as nicely as you hoped, are we still good enough to be the 8th seat in the East?

Old
07-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Dreakmur

we didn't make any major changes, so I don't see us making the play-offs

even if we do, we're just a first round victim anyway

Old
07-04-2011, 09:02 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Maybe if we can stay healthy.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:04 AM
416Leafer

Well one way of looking at it would be who would the Leafs knock out?

Caps/Pens/Bruins/Flyers are all locks I think.

The Sabres are one of the leagues most improved teams, on paper. So should be a tier above where they were last year.

NYR added Brad Richards. Tampa had what, 103 points last year? They'd need a pretty significant regression to fall out. That leaves Montreal... If Carey Price has an off year, maybe they flounder out? We're in for a tight race. Not to mention New Jersey should be contending for the playoffs, as will Carolina. I would say that for the last two playoff spots, Montreal/NYR have a slight inside track, then Toronto/NJ, and to a lesser extent Carolina.

At the end of the day, Toronto will most likely make or miss the playoffs by something like 1-3 points... it'll be a good race. Lots of "ifs" though. IF Reimer plays like he did last year. IF Connolly stays healthy. IF our young guys don't have any regression (since many of them had career years... Grabs/Kulemin/Schenn).

Old
07-04-2011, 09:18 AM
sakicisgod

1. WAS
2. PHI
3. BOS
4. TBL
5. PIT
6. NYR
7. BUF
8. ___

8th looks like the only spot we'll be in contention for...

TOR, MON, NJD, CAR

FLA, WPG, OTT

The east is getting TIGHT, we need significant improvements to make the playoffs IMO. We need a consistent game changer up front...

Old
07-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Not taking into consideration any future moves, this is how I think it shapes up today.

Playoff Teams:

Washington
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Boston
Tampa Bay
Buffalo
New York

Fringe Teams:

New Jersey
Montreal
Carolina
Toronto

Non-Playoff Teams:

NYI
Winnipeg
Florida
Ottawa

Even WPG, FLA and NYI you could make a case for to be fringe teams.

It really will be a dog fight to get into that 8th spot. I don't see the Leafs making it without acquiring a star 1st line centre. If everything goes right for the Leafs, maybe. If Reimer and Aulie struggle we're in a lot of trouble IMO.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakicisgod View Post
1. WAS
2. PHI
3. BOS
4. TBL
5. PIT
6. NYR
7. BUF
8. ___

TOR, MON, NJD, CAR

FLA, WPG, OTT

The east is getting TIGHT, we need significant improvements to make the playoffs IMO. We need a consistent game changer up front...
Get out of my head.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:21 AM
The Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
we didn't make any major changes, so I don't see us making the play-offs

even if we do, we're just a first round victim anyway
No such thing as 1st round victoms.
Montreal ALMOST beat the Cup champs in the first round going to game 7 OT.
Get to the dance and win 4 of 7 and play on.

We also have $10 million reasons to think the team will get improved before September puck drop.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
If Connolly finally stays healthy and plays up to his believed potential then we are close otherwise I don't think we significantly improved ourselves enough.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:24 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I think they will. Montreals team doesn't scare me in the least - neither does Jersey. Brodeur is getting old and didn't have much in the tank last year. Goaltending will be the Devils achilles heel.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Interactif

Not there yet, but closer today than on July 1. Still need a C, if healthy we should be ahead of Ottawa, but the east is stacked and all lineups have been upgraded.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:27 AM
TMLFAN4LIFE

How is Philly a lock to be a top 3 seeded team in the Eastern conference when they just traded away their two best players? Plus Jagr makes them a worse team if anything..

Old
07-04-2011, 09:30 AM
TMLFAN4LIFE

If James Reimer is our #1 goalie going into the season and not Jonas, I fully believe that the Leafs will make the playoffs. The same could be said about last year had Reimer been called up a few weeks earlier.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFAN4LIFE View Post
How is Philly a lock to be a top 3 seeded team in the Eastern conference when they just traded away their two best players? Plus Jagr makes them a worse team if anything..
no Jagr doesnt make them a worse team. they are up there with Boston and Washington as favorites to win the east next season.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Well it all depends on how Phaneuf, Reimer, Grabovski, Connolly, and Kessel plays. Lots of "ifs" if u ask me.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:34 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
If Reimer continues to play as well as he did last season (and everything else turns out well), then we should have a shot at one of the #6/7/8 seeds..

Obviously Tim Connolly and JML are the other 'big' factors (amongst many others) in this equation..

Old
07-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Phaneuf is Phaneuf

Nobody expected NJ to drop like a stone last season, nobody expected Ottawa to drop like a stone a couple years before that, etc. Teams sometimes just get bad. I think Philly is a prime candidate, considering how much talent they lost this offseason. I just don't see a 39 year old Jagr replacing the production of Carter or Richards. Tampa looked great these playoffs, but they actually had as many GF as they had GA last regular season. Are they a clutch team, or did they just get lucky with how the cookie crumbled? Tim Thomas basically carried the Bruins, not only to the Playoffs, but to the Cup, and he is getting older. Also, it wouldn't be the first time he followed a Vezina season with subpar play. Pittsburgh has only been a powerhouse the last 5 seasons because of Crosby and Malkin, both of which are question marks with their injuries from last season. Are all of these teams going to drop out of the playoffs? No, but to suggest that there is only ONE playoff spot up for grabs is going way too far. Everyone starts the season with 0 wins and 0 losses, and if a few things go right for the Leafs, then I'd say they have as good a shot as anyone at the post season.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:36 AM
willy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakicisgod View Post
1. WAS
2. PHI
3. BOS
4. TBL
5. PIT
6. NYR
7. BUF
8. ___

TOR, MON, NJD, CAR

FLA, WPG, OTT

1. WAS
2. PHI
3. BOS
4. PIT
5. TBL
6. BUF
7. NYR
8. ___

MON, NJD & CAR will contend for the 8th spot.

TOR will be in a fight with OTT (provided Connolly does not get hit, Reimer does not falter under the pressure being the #1 guy and the GMK line plays to the level of last year).

Old
07-04-2011, 09:37 AM
TMLFAN4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
no Jagr doesnt make them a worse team. they are up there with Boston and Washington as favorites to win the east next season.
I understand that this is your thinking, but I really want to know what is your reasoning behind this. Boston and Washington, fine, I'd even put Pittsburgh in that mix, but Philly? Come on! You're telling me that Simmonds is going to have a bounce back year, Jagr is going to be an 80 point player, Schenn is going to be an all-star?! (b/c that's what they lost in Carter and Richards essentially)... there's just way too many "what-if's" revolving around the Flyers to consider them a lock in the top 3 in my opinion.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:38 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post

yes / no?

why?

why not?

to me I'm only unsure about our Goaltending situation. i would much rather a good vet backup than The Monster in that position. if Gus fails like he did last year then all we have are unproven AHL goalies to take his place. i am confident that Burke will rectify this if something goes sour. needless to say i worry a little bit about Reimer's 2nd season.
Yes because Burke isn't done and any sort of stumble out of the gate will see Wilson riding out of town on a one horse carriage. Burke will not tolerate mediocrity this year and I'm not sure he is done adding. The Leafs still have cap space.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:39 AM
MajinBlake

I, personally, am of the opinion that the Flyers will see regression after their trades rather than progression. That said, Bryzgalov alone has the potential to prove me wrong, but a lot hinges on him.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:43 AM
willy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFAN4LIFE View Post
I understand that this is your thinking, but I really want to know what is your reasoning behind this. Boston and Washington, fine, I'd even put Pittsburgh in that mix, but Philly? Come on! You're telling me that Simmonds is going to have a bounce back year, Jagr is going to be an 80 point player, Schenn is going to be an all-star?! (b/c that's what they lost in Carter and Richards essentially)... there's just way too many "what-if's" revolving around the Flyers to consider them a lock in the top 3 in my opinion.
Off topic, but do think Philly will be a top 4 team...they have improved in net, should have pronger for the full season, JVR should get more minutes, Simmonds added to the third line, they got rid of Versteeg, draft pick Sean Couturier might make the team....

Closed Thread