HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is is time to call Haley up?

Old
02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
19 in a row

vCash: 500
The intangibles haley brings and the grittiness makes this a definite yesssss.... 4th line has 3 pts combined for season (scary sad), we are incredibly soft and need this infusion... rolston should be the one to go... pandolfo is awful even strength but at least kills penalties

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

The argument on Haley "not being an NHL hockey player" is absurd. While I think he's a very underrated hockey player, a guy like him shouldn't be judged on skill alone. There are more things to the game of hockey than just skill. I think we should all know that judging how much of an impact Steve Webb brought to this club.

You all thought Reasoner would be better for this team than Z because he's a "better skilled hockey player". Well look how that's turned out. Reasoner is god awful and brings no spark to a young team that needs a spark.

Philly has pretty bad hockey players on their squad. Sestito, Rinaldo, Shelley and their a premiere playoff team. And yet, when we try to bring up a guy who brings energy and his specialty is fighting, it's a terrible idea. Haley should've started with this team at the seasons beginning. But whatever, he should get called up soon.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Isles4ever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
Let me ask you this. Why can the rangers have Rupp, Prust and Bickell on their roster. The Penguins have Cooke, Asham, Engllend. The Flyers have Talbutt, Sessito, and Rinaldo. .

Lets Look at our own division and tell me there is no problem.

The Rags dress, 6'5 Mike Rupp, Brandon Prust, 6'4 Stu Bickle they also have Boyle who fights, along with Dubinski and Callahan who will fight when needed.

The Flyers have Jody Shelly 6'4 inch goon then Tom Sesisto who is a 6'5 inch goon,then they have dirt bag fighters like Rinaldo,Talbot, Simmonds and then you have guys like Hartanall and Corburn and Bourdon who will all play tough and fight.

The Pens have Derek Engelland, Arron Asham, Matt Cooke also earlier in the year they were dressing HW 6'6 265lb Steve Macantier and also dress guys that will also fight like Orpik,Vitale,Kennedy and Adams.

The Devs dress HW fighters in Eric Boulton and Cam Janseen, then have David Clarkson, and Salvador who also fight.

And the Islanders have Matt Martin. There is a problem there when you compare our roster to every other roster in our division. Its pathetic how soft this team is.

Then you have teams like Boston, who dress HW fighter in Shawn Thorton, then Have Lucic and Chara who can take on any HW in the league and then thrown in the other players who play tough and fight like McQuaid,Horton,Campell,Boycheck,Marchand and Kelly.

Ottawa has HW Matt Carnker then a HW/LHW in Chris Neil, then comes Konopka, then guys like Zack Smith,Folingo who will fight.

The Islanders are pathetic in terms of toughness.

Last edited by Isles4ever82: 02-12-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Isles4ever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
Leddy for America

vCash: 200
Haley couldn't possibly be any worse than Wallace. In his short time up last season, he played pretty well and became a bit of a fan favorite. At the very least he would bring some energy. Also, Matt Martin is becoming too good of a player to be our only fighter.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 04:22 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
If Haley's entire career was exactly the same but he sat out that one Penguin game nobody would ever want him called up.

So because he tried to fight Brent Johnson about a year ago you think the Isles should call him up now to help push for the playoffs?

This whole Haley situation is absurd.

I'll take the bait... The whole Brent Johnson thing wasn't even the highlight of that game for him. Let's talk team toughness.

This team has NONE. You remove Hamonic, Wallace and Martin from the lineup and your left with NO one that can throw their body around, or stick up for themselves and let alone one another. The Islanders are the softest team in the NHL.

Is Haley the answer, of course not, no one is saying he is. People are acknowledging that this team needs to toughness in order to compete. If the players know they have people on the roster who will protect them, they tend to play differently.

If you don't think this team needs more toughness then I don't know what to tell you.

With or without Haley, this isn't a playoff team and if you actually believe in this "playoff push", then I have a bridge to sell you.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 04:44 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygameworn View Post
I'll take the bait... The whole Brent Johnson thing wasn't even the highlight of that game for him. Let's talk team toughness.

This team has NONE. You remove Hamonic, Wallace and Martin from the lineup and your left with NO one that can throw their body around, or stick up for themselves and let alone one another. The Islanders are the softest team in the NHL.

Is Haley the answer, of course not, no one is saying he is. People are acknowledging that this team needs to toughness in order to compete. If the players know they have people on the roster who will protect them, they tend to play differently.

If you don't think this team needs more toughness then I don't know what to tell you.

With or without Haley, this isn't a playoff team and if you actually believe in this "playoff push", then I have a bridge to sell you.
+1. Minus those guys and the ancient man on defense this club is made up of equal portions of nerdly underweight chess club players and girl scouts. If you lit a firecracker in the locker room they'd probably run out screaming, clutching their chests in mortal fear.

Where the hell have all the real men gone that once wore Isle jerseys? This club, minus the ones you mention, has none. Just a bunch of virginias who would let the Panthers come into our house and steal their lunch money. I am utterly disgusted by this roster full of preening weaklings.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:08 PM
gramatanboy

Recall Ullstrom & Haley and send down Wallace and Rolston (whose over 35 contract counts toward the cap even if he is in the minors) and let's see what the Isles can do with a fourth line of Pandolfo, Haley & Ullstrom or Nino (with the other on the 3rd line with Bailey & Martin). The fourth line needs to be able to contribute more than it has scoring wise for a team to be a playoff contender as does the 3rd line. We have nothing to lose at this point and we all know that Rolston, Pandolfo & Wallace will not be back next year.

gramatanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:01 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
I would be much more afraid to hit JT if that maniac Trevor Gillies was on the bench or Zenon Konopka or about a million better guys than Haley floating around that the Isles can pick up on the cheap.

I dont hate Haley but he in no way makes our team better.
gillies can't even get on the ice in bport...haley will protect this team and can play regular 4th line minutes....if they don't do something JT will be in a wheel chair by his 25th birthday..

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:33 PM
bmg97

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramatanboy View Post
Recall Ullstrom & Haley and send down Wallace and Rolston
Yes x 10

bmg97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:45 AM
IslesNorway

Bringing Haley up would mean next to nothing for this team in terms of results. It would make them a little grittier but Haley won't provide any offense. He was up for a little while earlier and did very little to remember him by, but he is better than Rolston!

IslesNorway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:26 AM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Bringing Haley up would mean next to nothing for this team in terms of results. It would make them a little grittier but Haley won't provide any offense. He was up for a little while earlier and did very little to remember him by, but he is better than Rolston!
The point is our fourth line has scored like 3 points were not calling him up to count on him for points its to relieve matt martin of some of his sheriff duties as well as add some grit and fire to this team and protection

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:03 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobs11 View Post
The point is our fourth line has scored like 3 points were not calling him up to count on him for points its to relieve matt martin of some of his sheriff duties as well as add some grit and fire to this team and protection
I know, but in order to have legit shot at the playoffs this team needs more than just Haley. Earlier in the season people were screaming for him to called up and when he eventually did he had very little impact. Why people think it'll be much different now I don't know.

This team needs goalscorers not 4th line grinders

Old
02-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Riddick

to be honest they need to start playing like they did last year. beat the ever loving **** out of the other team. buuuuuut they got rid of konopka gillies and haley and replaced them with pandolfo, rolston and reasoner. Honestly, i think the team could have gotten more out of the first three than they have out of the second three. just an abomination of signings; those three.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:48 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Marty Reasoner - 35 games, no goals, minus 16 (minus 16?)

Brian Rolston – 43 games 4 goals 8 points, with tons of PP time and minus 11.

Tim Wallace 31 games, 0 goals, and 1 assist – 7.

Last year in 27 games, Haley had 2 goals, 1 assist and was a minus 7.

In 39 games Gillies had 2 goals and was a minus 3.

Thank God we have these guys for “secondary scoring.”

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:51 AM
IslesNorway

I think we all agree that the 4th line has sucked offensively the whole season, but bringing up Haley won't solve it. He just had a hattrick for Bport but Wallace's numbers there were good too so it really doesn't say anything.

I don't have anytihng against Haley and I would welcome him on the team but people really need to stop thinking he's the saviour and bringing him up would make everything ok!

Old
02-14-2012, 08:03 AM
NYI78

Quote:
I think we all agree that the 4th line has sucked offensively the whole season, but bringing up Haley won't solve it. He just had a hattrick for Bport but Wallace's numbers there were good too so it really doesn't say anything.

I don't have anytihng against Haley and I would welcome him on the team but people really need to stop thinking he's the saviour and bringing him up would make everything ok!
are you expecting 30 goals each from your fourth liners?? haley brings energy and protection..that will help..if your ok with JT becoming Stephen Hawking then ok..

Old
02-14-2012, 08:38 AM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Well said, I was just about to post the same thing.

If everyone is complaining about secondary scoring, look at the 2nd and 3rd line. That's where you should be looking. Let the 4th line (checking line) do what they're supposed to do.

Voice your concerns about Bailey(6), Frans(10), Nino(1), Pando(1), Rolston(4), Reasoner(0).

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:39 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
are you expecting 30 goals each from your fourth liners?? haley brings energy and protection..that will help..if your ok with JT becoming Stephen Hawking then ok..
No I do not expect 30 goals but I expect more than a combined total of two. As for JT becoming Hawking - do you really think they'd stop taking shots at him for fear of Haley??

Old
02-14-2012, 08:50 AM
NYI78

Quote:
No I do not expect 30 goals but I expect more than a combined total of two. As for JT becoming Hawking - do you really think they'd stop taking shots at him for fear of Haley??
to be blunt...yes...will jt still take shots?? sure... would that number decrease drastically..you bet...the problem isn't the fourth line pandolfo has been good at his role...wallace..eh he can go back to bport..you have to look at the second and third lines for scoring...most 4th liners score 5-9 goals a year

Old
02-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
Quote:
I know, but in order to have legit shot at the playoffs this team needs more than just Haley. Earlier in the season people were screaming for him to called up and when he eventually did he had very little impact. Why people think it'll be much different now I don't know.

This team needs goalscorers not 4th line grinders
Yes im aware we need scoring but you can't win games with out meat and potato players ur 4thsalad line is uses to hit and aggravate which ours isn't even doing so we need to add to that as well as goal scoring but we are not a team ti roll 4 scoring lines when I we barely have 1and 1/2 scoring lines

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:25 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Let me ask you a question. Have you ever been in a fight fight in your life?

If you're going to try to do something to somebody, and their big bad friend steps out of the shadow to help them, would you still continue? And if you did, would you feel as confident about doing the guy harm?

Of course not.

And just ignore what NHL players have said for decades about retaliation, and draw your own conclusions about it. That's much easier.

And you arguing wallace's goal over haleys? Wallace hasn't scored an NHL goal yet this season. Haley had 2 in 27 games last season. But you bring up Bridgeport's goals?

Old
02-14-2012, 10:28 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNystromOwnsYou View Post
Let me ask you a question. Have you ever been in a fight fight in your life?

If you're going to try to do something to somebody, and their big bad friend steps out of the shadow to help them, would you still continue? And if you did, would you feel as confident about doing the guy harm?

Of course not.

And just ignore what NHL players have said for decades about retaliation, and draw your own conclusions about it. That's much easier.

And you arguing wallace's goal over haleys? Wallace hasn't scored an NHL goal yet this season. Haley had 2 in 27 games last season. But you bring up Bridgeport's goals?
Please take your time and read what I've argued once more. I'm not at all against bringing Haley back up, he does offer a bit of extra grit, but my point is that so many people here seem to think that he is the answer to all the Isles ills, which he is not. For the Islanders to be successful they need more than bringing up Micheal Haley I'm afraid.

Haley did well in his stint last season but there must be reason as to why he is not on the Islanders roster at the expense of Wallace. Clearly management sees more in Wallace than Haley at this point, which we can argue all we want but they won't care about at all.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Isles4ever82

Quote:

Please, Our 4th line combined has 3pts on the entire season!
Haley wont be anyworse then the hacks on the 4th line now. In fact he will at least bring energy, and stand up for his teamates, something no one on this team does besides Martin. Martin can not and should not be the only player playing physicial on the entire team. There needs to be someone else to handle the load of the fighting and to be honest Martin is becoming a player you dont want fighting 20 times a year which he is on pace for.
The forth line is not a line a team relies on to score goals. They are there to bring energy, play sound defence and bang the body and chip in a goal here and there and thats all. If your relying on a forth line to produce points, its not gonna happen.

Isles4ever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Giuseppe Franco

Haley should have been here a long time ago. I don't know what else this guy has to show that he indeed belongs. I hate to be paranoid but I'm starting to think that Wang just doesn't want the guy up here for whatever reason. I'd like to think that if Snow truly had full autonomy he'd be smart enough to have him up here already.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:14 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Please take your time and read what I've argued once more. I'm not at all against bringing Haley back up, he does offer a bit of extra grit, but my point is that so many people here seem to think that he is the answer to all the Isles ills, which he is not. For the Islanders to be successful they need more than bringing up Micheal Haley I'm afraid.

Haley did well in his stint last season but there must be reason as to why he is not on the Islanders roster at the expense of Wallace. Clearly management sees more in Wallace than Haley at this point, which we can argue all we want but they won't care about at all.
You will have to find me one person here who called him "the answer."

We want him to protect JT and our other guys. And the fact he's better tha 3 or 4 guys on the team now.