HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Hawks 2011-12 Rumor , Speculation , Trade Proposal thread II

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Hawkscap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypik View Post
He completely changed the identity of the Hawks this offseason. Our Hawks were know as a puck possession team, with great speed and having a top echelon defensive unit in the NHL.

Absolutely, it's mostly Blowman's fault! The only NHL player he was able to get out of Buff, Ladd, Niemi, Campbell, Sopel, Eager, Kopy, Brouwer, Burish, Fraser and Steeger was Stalberg. He could have settled for some grinders but all he wanted was prospects and picks. I pray that half or at least a quarter of those prospects and/or draft picks pan out! I think he just wanted his name on this team/roster.

You really don't understand what happened that summer. Stan could not take players back because HE HAD NO CAP ROOM DUE TO THE PENALTY. He only could take back picks and prospects.

He had to sign guys to near the league min to fill out the roster.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:46 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not posting in any Bownan related threads for a while. Too many people are just flat out misremembering the past. How and why things happened the way they did.
It's like talking to a brick wall.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:49 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
You really don't understand what happened that summer. Stan could not take players back because HE HAD NO CAP ROOM DUE TO THE PENALTY. He only could take back picks and prospects.

He had to sign guys to near the league min to fill out the roster.
But he has failed in not flipping those or other picks and prospects for NHL talent when he could add it.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:53 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Immediately following the Vancouver loss MOST if not all of us were saying the number 1 thing this team needed to address in the offseason was toughness. Bowman addressed that specifically because he figured Frolik and Bickell would be functional players.

Except for Bolland and Mayers, none of our depth guys have been useful at all. Is that Bownans fault?
SOD has been good. Carcillo was good. It's Bowman's fault for not filling the real holes on this team, #2C, one of the goalie spots and another D (revealed soon after the season started). He failed epically and I've been calling him out since July 1 because of it but giving him the benefit of the doubt until the cavalry comes (hasn't gotten here yet). As far as your point about toughness and grit, we all recognized the need but I have no idea what you are talking about saying it was Number 1 because it most certainly was not. A #2C has always been the No. 1 need. Grunts aren't going to win you championships if the skilled positions are left vacant. Everybody knows that.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:02 PM
HockeySensible
'13 Champions

Quote:
He completely changed the identity of the Hawks this offseason. Our Hawks were know as a puck possession team, with great speed and having a top echelon defensive unit in the NHL.

Absolutely, it's mostly Blowman's fault! The only NHL player he was able to get out of Buff, Ladd, Niemi, Campbell, Sopel, Eager, Kopy, Brouwer, Burish, Fraser and Steeger was Stalberg. He could have settled for some grinders but all he wanted was prospects and picks. I pray that half or at least a quarter of those prospects and/or draft picks pan out! I think he just wanted his name on this team/roster.
He wasn't in a position to take salary back. For god sakes, this has been beaten to death.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
HockeySensible
'13 Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I'm not posting in any Bownan related threads for a while. Too many people are just flat out misremembering the past. How and why things happened the way they did.
It's like talking to a brick wall.
Too true.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:15 PM
coldsteelonice84

You don't need to remember anything except Bowman had major holes on this team and more than enough cap space and assets to fill them but decided to stand pat and the standings show the result of that decision. Unless he pulls 3 or 4 rabbits out of his hat during the next two weeks, this guy just dropped the ball like Steve Bartman because he didn't understand his own team or the trading market as well as he must have thought he did.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Someone totally missed the summer of 2010.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
For all the people talking about adding a #2 C during the offseason, who was available? Who could we have realistically acquired?

Old
02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
HockeySensible
'13 Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
You don't need to remember anything except Bowman had major holes on this team and more than enough cap space and assets to fill them but decided to stand pat and the standings show the result of that decision. Unless he pulls 3 or 4 rabbits out of his hat during the next two weeks, this guy just dropped the ball like Steve Bartman because he didn't understand his own team or the trading market as well as he must have thought he did.
I just don't get posts like these.

This team is a bad streak removed from being at the top of the standings. They're not where they are now because of the moves Bowman did/didn't make or has/hasn't made. They're there because the problems they were having when they were winning, that went unaddressed, have now caught up to them.

Unless this team, as a whole, commits to playing the way they need to play, they'll lose no matter what Bowman does personnel-wise.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:23 PM
cherrypik

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
He wasn't in a position to take salary back. For god sakes, this has been beaten to death.
The same issue we are having this year we had last year. He either ignored to address them or fail to make the correct moves. The simple thing is he could have told Q to change the D/PK scheme going into the season but didn't. I really don't understand why you guys are backing Blowman as a GM.

As for the salary cap issues, he could have took salary this year but he chose not too! He could have probably taken a gritty NHL player and a 3rd or 4th instead of a 1st for Brouwer. He could have moved Kopy or Brouwer the year prior sign Ladd or Niemi? He could have probably taken a player instead of a pick for Kopy this year.

Old
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
For all the people talking about adding a #2 C during the offseason, who was available? Who could we have realistically acquired?
Mike Richards and Jeff Carter (maybe didn't have enough, not so sure a more creative GM couldn't have made it happen, specifically for Richards, not a fan of Carter)

Handzus. He was a UFA and Bolland could have moved to No. 2 C. It would have been exponentially better than the nothing they have done so far. And like I said in the offseason, when something better came along, then you move him to the 4th line.

Old
HockeySensible
'13 Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
We totally should have signed Brad Richards to a ridiculous contract.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:26 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
I just don't get posts like these.

This team is a bad streak removed from being at the top of the standings. They're not where they are now because of the moves Bowman did/didn't make or has/hasn't made. They're there because the problems they were having when they were winning, that went unaddressed, have now caught up to them.

Unless this team, as a whole, commits to playing the way they need to play, they'll lose no matter what Bowman does personnel-wise.
I just don't get posts like this. If your post was even half true, Q would be looooonnnng gone.

Old
Sevanston

Quote:
Mike Richards and Jeff Carter (maybe didn't have enough, not so sure a more creative GM couldn't have made it happen, specifically for Richards, not a fan or Carter)

Handzus. He was a UFA and Bolland could have moved to No. 2 C. It would have been exponentially better than the nothing they have done so far.
Both Richards and Carter were dealt before Campbell was.

We couldn't have afforded either of their contracts at the time.

Plus, we clearly didn't have the pieces that Philly was looking for. Namely blue-chip prospects and top 10 picks.

Old
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Quote:
Mike Richards and Jeff Carter (maybe didn't have enough, not so sure a more creative GM couldn't have made it happen, specifically for Richards, not a fan or Carter)

Handzus. He was a UFA and Bolland could have moved to No. 2 C. It would have been exponentially better than the nothing they have done so far.
Richards and Carter were traded before we dumped Soupy.

Handzus has lost a step. I'd rather put Sharp in the middle. Even if we got Handzus, lord knows Q would immediately throw Bolland back at 3C the first time the other team's top line scored, and we'd be looking at Handzus at 2C.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Completely forgetting that Wirzt is eating salary in Rockford and Switzerland that is about equal to the cap room.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:27 PM
HockeySensible
'13 Champions

Quote:
I just don't get posts like this. If your post was even half true, Q would be looooonnnng gone.
Elaborate.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:28 PM
cherrypik

Quote:
We totally should have signed Brad Richards to a ridiculous contract.
Off the top of my head Fleischmann or Prospal. At the very least he should have signed a 3rd line center and move Bolland to the 2nd line center. Bolland does make 2nd line center $$$.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:30 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Elaborate.
He should know what to do and the players should be doing what he says. If he has lost the team or doesn't know how to fix it, then he would not longer be with the Hawks. Sure, he has had a bad season as coach and yes, some players could play better but you can't stretch a team this thin and expect it to be consistently good all year. This team has no goaltending, lacks a top 6 C and anyone who is being honest with themselves (or was coming into the year even) would have said the team only has 3 legit top 4 D-men. These aren't revelations.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:35 PM
HockeySensible
'13 Champions

Quote:
He should know what to do and the players should be doing what he says. If he has lost the team or doesn't know how to fix it, then he would not longer be with the Hawks. Sure, he has had a bad season as coach and yes, some players could play better but you can't stretch a team this thin and expect it to be consistently good all year. This team has no goaltending, lacks a top 6 C and anyone who is being honest with themselves (or was coming into the year even) would have said the team only has 3 legit top 4 D-men. These aren't revelations.
So, Bowman was suppose to fire the head coach of the team at the top of the NHL standings at the time? Really? Do you honestly believe that's realistic?

Old
02-13-2012, 12:37 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
Completely forgetting that Wirzt is eating salary in Rockford and Switzerland that is about equal to the cap room.
That means absolutely nothing to me as a fan of the Chicago Blackhawks and a STH. I'll get a jersey that says Wal-Mart on it if I want to root for financial profits. I prefer NHL hockey and am lucky to live in a market where money is no object in the path to a championship.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:39 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
So, Bowman was suppose to fire the head coach of the team at the top of the NHL standings at the time? Really? Do you honestly believe that's realistic?
No, he should have just filled the holes and let the team stay in 1st. Q would have made adjustments along the way. Instead, he let those holes fester and pushed the team too much and now it seems (unlikely true but clearly visible) that everyone has quit on the team just as Bowman has so far and just like you have as well.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:45 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Mike Richards and Jeff Carter (maybe didn't have enough, not so sure a more creative GM couldn't have made it happen, specifically for Richards, not a fan of Carter)

Handzus. He was a UFA and Bolland could have moved to No. 2 C. It would have been exponentially better than the nothing they have done so far. And like I said in the offseason, when something better came along, then you move him to the 4th line.

Credibility=Lost

Richards and Carter being dealt were complete shocks to EVERYONE but Bowman should have seen it coming? If you think this team would be better with ****ing Handzus on it then you're forming opinions off of NHL 12.

Edit: I said i was done posting! Damn. Last post. I swear.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:47 PM
HockeySensible
'13 Champions

Quote:
No, he should have just filled the holes and let the team stay in 1st. Q would have made adjustments along the way. Instead, he let those holes fester and pushed the team too much and now it seems (unlikely true but clearly visible) that everyone has quit on the team just as Bowman has so far and just like you have as well.
The team didn't plummit down the standings, from first place in the NHL because Bowman couldn't get a top-4 Dman, or a centremen to plug between Hossa and Sharp. They've pulmmited down the standings because they're atrocious in their own end and have horrible special teams. Problems they had far before the 8-game slide.

Closed Thread