HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks...

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2004, 09:24 AM
Infensus

vCash: 500
Brooks...

...need I say more?

Quote:
Forget the labels and the code words Gary Bettman, lieutenant Bill Daly, the owners and all their cheerleaders could TSN's pro-owner agenda be more transparent? have applied to the shutdown.
I don't know Larry, how about your pro-player agenda?

Quote:
Because once again this week, the employers told the employees to take it or leave it. Once again this week, Slap Shots has learned, the league told the union it would not re-open talks until the players acknowledge their willingness to accept a hard cap under the guise of percentage-of-the-gross.
I would really like to know where he "learned" this, or if he simply pulls this out of his ***. I really start to get annoyed at his articles since he hardly ever backs anything up with any sources other than verbally mentioned crap.

Hey! Infensus and co has just learned from its sources that the NHLPA is on the verge of agreeing to NHL demands! Sounds just as credible as Larry Brook's sources...

Link

Old
10-31-2004, 10:20 AM
Fletch

Whether his sources are real...

I seriously doubt any journalist would reveal his sources unless a gun was held to his head. There are people, call them moles, who tip off papers here and there about various things. Sometimes they get it right, often they don't because it's not Bettman, Goodenow, Daly, etc., tipping anybody off, it's second-hand people who may only get part of the story, or didn't catch a follow-up, or whatever.

Old
10-31-2004, 10:26 AM
Infensus

But this could be often abused to cite invisible sources just to make a story, which is how I feel about Brooks.

Old
10-31-2004, 12:41 PM
Onion Boy

So you don't believe the NHL has had a take-it or leave-it stance from the beginning?

I didn't need Larry Brooks sources to figure that one out for myself...

Old
10-31-2004, 12:53 PM
Levitate

it just comes down to your opinion on it in the end...you obviously are pro owner, brooks is obviously pro player

stan fischler is obviously a shill for the BoG, errr, i mean pro owner

personally i lean towards the players because i think the issue is much more complex than just the players being "greedy" and i can't foist all of it off on them...and it seems to me the owners are much less willing to negotiate than the player are.

but i get the feeling this is like arguing about religion...just not gonna change any minds

Old
10-31-2004, 03:06 PM
Infensus

No, I am not saying I believe the owners over the players, I am saying that I do not believe Larry Brooks since in all articles I have read of his he has never once cited a source. Not that I ask him to reveal his truly "insider" ones and risk losing them.

--------------
With the lockout...

Both sides have their own agenda and I really don't care what they are, only that something gets resolved one way or another soon so we can have hockey again. Personally, I am findind other ways to fill my time right now and as time goes on I am missing hockey less and less. Perhaps once football season is over I will miss it more.

I have not been a dedicated hockey fan for a tremendously long time and started watching hockey religiously during the last baseball strike (93-94?). Who knows, maybe if this strike turns into an extended one I will become a baseball fan again with hockey being my secondary sport.

I do not align myself with either the owners or players since I feel all are greedy to some extent. This is true with any employee - you go to work every day for one reason only, to make money. As with any owner, you start a business for one reason only - to make money and keep it. Neither side in this lockout really cares about the fans no matter what they say. If you stop going to the games, somebody else eventually will. There may be a lull in attendance for a short time, but in the end with promotions and advertising the fans will come back.

While I find the whole process fairly interesting to follow I feel no emotion towards either the owners or the players. If there was no lockout, there would be a strike. Blame the owners, Bettman, Goodenow, or whomever you want but in the end it just comes down to both sides being greedy to the point of each trying to keep their slice of the pie.

Enough meaningless rambling for now...

Old
10-31-2004, 03:12 PM
xander

my major problem with brooks is that he's suposed to be a credible news source, but you can't take anything he says on the lockout seriously becouse he's turned his column into a propaganda page for the players. He's posted nothing but pro-union news in the last 5 months, anything he writes might as well come from www.nhlpa.com.

I"m not pro owner or pro player, but I do require that my news sources retain some amount of objectivity when they're writing for a public newspaper, otherwise it's just useless.

Old
10-31-2004, 03:52 PM
Levitate

Quote:
I"m not pro owner or pro player, but I do require that my news sources retain some amount of objectivity when they're writing for a public newspaper, otherwise it's just useless.
well for one, it's the post

the word "objective" should never be seriously applied when you're talking about the post

second...as a sportswriter, brooks doesn't really have to be objective about anything. sportswriters are just like glorified opinion writers. if he was reporting serious news then i'd agree that he should be objective. as a sportswriter...it's really up to him if he wants to be objective or not. most sportswriters aren't, maybe some are...it'd be nice to get a real balanced look at both sides of course but then i'd just point back to my first point about brooks writing for the post, and ask you why would really expect anything different than what you get? heh

Old
10-31-2004, 03:58 PM
xander

well, of course your right about the post, but I would like to think that the sports department could escape the long arm of rupert murdoch.

Of course your right, Brooks has a column, so he can right what he wants. But he's also the only source of hockey news for his paper, which i think meens he has somewhat of a duty to provide acurate somewhat indifferant news. I wouldn't have a huge problem if it didn't seem like he was so activly trying to find information to support his case. It's not like he's reporting news and then putting in a page break and giving his opinion on it. Instead he finds a peice of news and goes A HA! look at this news that i found and see that it supports what i'm saying. The opinion comes first and the 'news' is there to support it, as aposed to brooks comenting comenting on news. Tell me if that makes any sense.

Old
10-31-2004, 04:02 PM
Levitate

well again he's more of a sportswriter than a reporter...i guess maybe it's just me, but i've never thought of sportswriters are real reporters, just opinion writers that write on sports. so i guess i'm not expecting as much as you

Old
10-31-2004, 05:35 PM
Fish

Brooks is a columnist not a journalist, i.e. he's going to write opinion pieces...it means his standards for credibility may be lower, but he's not afraid to color his stories with opinions of his own.

Old
10-31-2004, 06:25 PM
Levitate

there, fish sums it up better than i could

Old
10-31-2004, 08:15 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infensus
I would really like to know where he "learned" this, or if he simply pulls this out of his ***. I really start to get annoyed at his articles since he hardly ever backs anything up with any sources other than verbally mentioned crap.

Hey! Infensus and co has just learned from its sources that the NHLPA is on the verge of agreeing to NHL demands! Sounds just as credible as Larry Brook's sources...
Unless I am missing something, doesn't he say right there where he learned it? Slap Shots? It's not his opinion, rather he states that Slap Shots learned this fact and he is merely moving it on to a greater amount of readers by putting it in his column.

No doubt Brooks can make things up, but that mostly comes in the form of rumours and such, in this case he is simply stating the obvious, that the NHL continues to have a take it or leave it stance. He didn't pull it out of his ass, it's a pretty well known fact that he backed up with a source, slap shots.

Old
10-31-2004, 09:59 PM
pld459666

trying to figure out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
Unless I am missing something, doesn't he say right there where he learned it? Slap Shots? It's not his opinion, rather he states that Slap Shots learned this fact and he is merely moving it on to a greater amount of readers by putting it in his column.

No doubt Brooks can make things up, but that mostly comes in the form of rumours and such, in this case he is simply stating the obvious, that the NHL continues to have a take it or leave it stance. He didn't pull it out of his ass, it's a pretty well known fact that he backed up with a source, slap shots.
if you're joking or not.

Old
10-31-2004, 10:36 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Brooks is a columnist not a journalist, i.e. he's going to write opinion pieces...it means his standards for credibility may be lower, but he's not afraid to color his stories with opinions of his own.
Fish probably the only poster on this board I actually agree with. Not just this thread but most atleast.Good sense of Hockey in and out, cool deal.

But in general, i have almost forgotten about hockey and when its back i will watch until then , whatever i been keeping myself plenty busy not to worry about hockey for now, like i said when its back im rioght back to being that same DIE HARD NYR / NHL hockey FAN, I always been.

But im not letting the NHL affect my daily life, like it has done to some others, i guess if it has i feel bad for you, who ever you are.

Old
11-01-2004, 06:14 AM
Infensus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting

That's the name of his column...

Old
11-01-2004, 10:47 AM
nyr7andcounting

lol yea I know, I had a momentary brain lapse and confused Slap Shots with a seperate hockey news provider. Well, anyway, the facts might be straight from his ass, but atleast the overall idea is pretty well known among hockey fans. League won't budge and players can't do much about that right now.

Closed Thread