HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Changing up the first line

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
  #1
Tavares2TheRescue
#beLEEve
 
Tavares2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, IL/LI, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,554
vCash: 200
Changing up the first line

The Islanders' offense has been absolutely horrible lately. Even the first line has not been very good at all. Tavares is obviously the #1 center, but either Okposo or Moulson (or both) need to be replaced. I'm in favor of moving Bailey and Parenteau to Tavares' wings. I never thought I'd want to see PA back on Tavares' wing, but he and Bailey seem to be the only capable Islanders forwards at the moment. Bailey has looked very recently, but hasn't had very much to show for it. I think putting him with Tavares would help the both of them. Also, it's really beginning to show how badly we need a REAL first line winger.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:16 PM
  #2
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,627
vCash: 2000
As an outsider who only watches the occasional Isles' game, I'm still a little bit mystified why Josh Bailey seems to rarely be played in a scoring role, with guys who can score.

I understand a coach sticking to certain lines, or keeping guys in certain roles, when the team is scoring. But the Isles have struggled to score goals all season. Surely trying Bailey with guys who can score goals for a 10-game stretch can't exactly hurt things worse, can it?

IMO, Bailey at the very least should be swapped up with Nielsen as the 2nd line center. If for no other reason than the fact Nielsen's kind of plateaued offensively; what you see is what you'll always get with him, and that's a 3rd line center who can chip in 30 to 40 points. Bailey, on the other hand, still has the potential to be a legitimate 2nd line pivot.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:03 PM
  #3
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,268
vCash: 500
PAP - JT - KO
Moulson - Bailey - Martin
Grabner - Neilsen - Nino
Wallace - Pandolfo -Rolston

Just try it...just try something.

I'm so tired of it taking weeks/months before minor changes are made.

There is no damn rule that says that Moulson has to play with JT. Or Nielsen with Grabner (eventhough I put them together). Please Capuano, just try something just to see if it works. These lines have been all wrong all season long. It doesn't matter if some of them worked last year. They aren't working this year.

oh and while we're at it, bench Rolston for Ullstrom. Rolston has sucked the joy of watching games out of me. He needs to go the way of the DiPietro.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
  #4
19NYSports91
Registered User
 
19NYSports91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
PAP - JT - KO
Moulson - Bailey - Martin
Grabner - Neilsen - Nino
Wallace - Pandolfo -Rolston

Just try it...just try something.

I'm so tired of it taking weeks/months before minor changes are made.

There is no damn rule that says that Moulson has to play with JT. Or Nielsen with Grabner (eventhough I put them together). Please Capuano, just try something just to see if it works. These lines have been all wrong all season long. It doesn't matter if some of them worked last year. They aren't working this year.

oh and while we're at it, bench Rolston for Ullstrom. Rolston has sucked the joy of watching games out of me. He needs to go the way of the DiPietro.
Not bad, I like it. I just can't see Martin playing on the second line, but they do need a player to go in the corners effectively. The second line right now is pretty soft, they never come out with the puck along the boards. Bailey has to move to the second line. What happened to Ullstrom? I really liked his game before he got hurt.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:40 PM
  #5
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!
 
petrocelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
As an outsider who only watches the occasional Isles' game, I'm still a little bit mystified why Josh Bailey seems to rarely be played in a scoring role, with guys who can score.

I understand a coach sticking to certain lines, or keeping guys in certain roles, when the team is scoring. But the Isles have struggled to score goals all season. Surely trying Bailey with guys who can score goals for a 10-game stretch can't exactly hurt things worse, can it?

IMO, Bailey at the very least should be swapped up with Nielsen as the 2nd line center. If for no other reason than the fact Nielsen's kind of plateaued offensively; what you see is what you'll always get with him, and that's a 3rd line center who can chip in 30 to 40 points. Bailey, on the other hand, still has the potential to be a legitimate 2nd line pivot.
You hit it on the head with Bailey, and to a lesser extent, the same can be said about Neiderreiter......
What drives me crazy about this team is they rush guys like Bailey and Nino, and then they don't put them in a position to be successful... Bailey has rarely ever played with other skilled wingers and hasn't sniffed the top 2 lines this year.... and Nino has been buried on the 4th line this year..... Then people say, they have to EARN playing time and EARN a promotion to an offensive role, when in reality, they never even earned a roster spot to begin with... Did Rolston do anything to EARN his 2nd line slot and power play time this year?? Rolston did the opposite.. He did everything in his power to get demoted and Cappy kept him on the power play and second line till very recently.... So please don't hand me the "playing time has to be earned line."..... Bailey has been playing better lately, so at some point, put him in an offensive role and see what he's got.... Heck, Okposo wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire when he was promoted to Tavares' line.... I'd love to see Bailey play with Tavares, at least on the power play..
Nino wasn't ready... still isn't... wasted year....period.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:31 PM
  #6
Tavares2TheRescue
#beLEEve
 
Tavares2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, IL/LI, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,554
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Not bad, I like it. I just can't see Martin playing on the second line, but they do need a player to go in the corners effectively. The second line right now is pretty soft, they never come out with the puck along the boards. Bailey has to move to the second line. What happened to Ullstrom? I really liked his game before he got hurt.
I'd actually love to see what Martin can do with an increased offensive role. I remember last year I said I wanted to see him on JT's wing. My thoughts haven't changed.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:57 PM
  #7
redbull
springtime hockey!
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I understand a coach sticking to certain lines, or keeping guys in certain roles, when the team is scoring. But the Isles have struggled to score goals all season. Surely trying Bailey with guys who can score goals for a 10-game stretch can't exactly hurt things worse, can it?
can't figure that out. Bailey's been excellent of late, developing some real chemistry with Matt Martin but having Rolston/Rakhshani/Wallace on the wing is killing that line's ability to generate offense. Bailey-Martin have been more dangerous short-handed than five-on-five.

Bailey would be a much better #2 centre than Nielsen. I'd like to see Bailey-Okposo-Martin/Ullstrom as a second line. Problem with the second line is Grabner. He's been terrible and he's impossible to play with because he floats on the perimeter and looks for breakaways that he rarely converts on. He cannot pass, cannot forecheck, cannot/does not back-check - total liability on the ice. He ruins the second line because he doesn't use his line-mates.

Tavares can play with anyone and produce but I'd say Bailey and Parenteau are the ONLY other forwards who can generate offense. And Grabner on the rare occasion.

Bailey's the only top ten pick (among the forwards) I can recall to have the absolute worst supporting cast his entire career. For a guy who's in his FOURTH NHL season, I don't think he's ever played with anyone who's scored more than 10 goals in the NHL, with the exception of Jon Sim, Comeau last year and Rolston in 1997.

Boggles the mind.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:38 AM
  #8
Fist of Fury
Wang Chung
 
Fist of Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Inject this team with adrenaline & testosterone.

Fist of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:27 AM
  #9
Lek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh
Country: United States
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lek
Capster has yet to make any significant line changes from what he started with this year. The "Big" line change that was implemented was moving KO and PA....that is not what I would call line changeS....and better yet his 'tweak" the other game was ....wait for it...changing it back!!!!!...asshat!!!!!

There is not a coach anywhere in the league that would not have done something with the lines, personnel as is, to at least attempt to help this team succeed, especially over the last two weeks!!!! The Capster has led them this team to fail by doing.....nothing.

Lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:42 AM
  #10
Isles72
Registered User
 
Isles72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
okposo has looked a bit sluggish lately so the small move I'd make right now is putting Pap back on the Jt/MM line.

it doesnt look as though Rolston will be going anywhere so I'm not even going to bother suggesting 2nd, 3rd line combos til next season

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:46 AM
  #11
camper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
can't figure that out. Bailey's been excellent of late, developing some real chemistry with Matt Martin but having Rolston/Rakhshani/Wallace on the wing is killing that line's ability to generate offense. Bailey-Martin have been more dangerous short-handed than five-on-five.

Bailey would be a much better #2 centre than Nielsen. I'd like to see Bailey-Okposo-Martin/Ullstrom as a second line. Problem with the second line is Grabner. He's been terrible and he's impossible to play with because he floats on the perimeter and looks for breakaways that he rarely converts on. He cannot pass, cannot forecheck, cannot/does not back-check - total liability on the ice. He ruins the second line because he doesn't use his line-mates.

Tavares can play with anyone and produce but I'd say Bailey and Parenteau are the ONLY other forwards who can generate offense. And Grabner on the rare occasion.

Bailey's the only top ten pick (among the forwards) I can recall to have the absolute worst supporting cast his entire career. For a guy who's in his FOURTH NHL season, I don't think he's ever played with anyone who's scored more than 10 goals in the NHL, with the exception of Jon Sim, Comeau last year and Rolston in 1997.

Boggles the mind.
Remember Bails had no game till he played with Marty, big brother helped him a lot. They need another winger and it isn't Nino. Nino has yet to find his game, Grabs is the candidate but he must be able to keep his wing on the boards . The real problem keeps coming back, too many guys play the same soft game.

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:06 AM
  #12
NYI78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Milford CT
Country: United States
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
can't figure that out. Bailey's been excellent of late, developing some real chemistry with Matt Martin but having Rolston/Rakhshani/Wallace on the wing is killing that line's ability to generate offense. Bailey-Martin have been more dangerous short-handed than five-on-five.

Bailey would be a much better #2 centre than Nielsen. I'd like to see Bailey-Okposo-Martin/Ullstrom as a second line. Problem with the second line is Grabner. He's been terrible and he's impossible to play with because he floats on the perimeter and looks for breakaways that he rarely converts on. He cannot pass, cannot forecheck, cannot/does not back-check - total liability on the ice. He ruins the second line because he doesn't use his line-mates.

Tavares can play with anyone and produce but I'd say Bailey and Parenteau are the ONLY other forwards who can generate offense. And Grabner on the rare occasion.

Bailey's the only top ten pick (among the forwards) I can recall to have the absolute worst supporting cast his entire career. For a guy who's in his FOURTH NHL season, I don't think he's ever played with anyone who's scored more than 10 goals in the NHL, with the exception of Jon Sim, Comeau last year and Rolston in 1997.

Boggles the mind.
bailey refuses to shoot the puck with any consistency...he needs to produce scoring chances to get 2nd line minutes...at least his recent play has increased his trade value

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:09 AM
  #13
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,627
vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
bailey refuses to shoot the puck with any consistency...he needs to produce scoring chances to get 2nd line minutes...at least his recent play has increased his trade value
I don't really get this sort of criticism of Bailey. He's a playmaker, first and foremost. He's got playmaker instincts, and so he's likely to look for a pass than to take the shot.

Look at a guy like Henrik Sedin. He's got 80 shots on goal this season in 55 games, which is only 6 more shots than Bailey has, despite the fact he's playing almost 20 minutes a night, on the top line, and getting top powerplay unit minutes.

Would you knock Sedin for "refusing" to shoot the puck with any consistency? No, because that's not his game. His game is creating chances for his wingers, much like Bailey's. The difference is Sedin's passing to the likes of his brother Daniel, or Kesler, or Burrows, while Bailey's passing to the likes of Rolston, Wallace, Pandolfo, etc.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:17 AM
  #14
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 17,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
okposo has looked a bit sluggish lately so the small move I'd make right now is putting Pap back on the Jt/MM line.

it doesnt look as though Rolston will be going anywhere so I'm not even going to bother suggesting 2nd, 3rd line combos til next season
This....

Last 5 games he has not had that energy he had while playing on the first line....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:02 AM
  #15
Lek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh
Country: United States
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I don't really get this sort of criticism of Bailey. He's a playmaker, first and foremost. He's got playmaker instincts, and so he's likely to look for a pass than to take the shot.

Look at a guy like Henrik Sedin. He's got 80 shots on goal this season in 55 games, which is only 6 more shots than Bailey has, despite the fact he's playing almost 20 minutes a night, on the top line, and getting top powerplay unit minutes.

Would you knock Sedin for "refusing" to shoot the puck with any consistency? No, because that's not his game. His game is creating chances for his wingers, much like Bailey's. The difference is Sedin's passing to the likes of his brother Daniel, or Kesler, or Burrows, while Bailey's passing to the likes of Rolston, Wallace, Pandolfo, etc.
There ya go

Lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.