HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Faceoffs

Old
02-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Bulls9220

vCash: 500
Faceoffs

Okay so we had a lot of injures on my team, so I got thrown into center position. Since then my team has decided to make me a center full time. Now I completely suck at faceoffs and really only get 2-3 wins a game. I've tried some different ways but the only thing I can do is push the puck up in the d end off the faceoff and rush the puck up and after a while people catch on to it.. Any advice on how to win one? Techniques?

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:51 PM
RoninNYR

1. Get low and wide, but you have to have to be able to do that ( ) side to side motion twisting from the hips... somewhat. Not unlike other hockey moves, in a face-off your strength will come from your core, feel a powerful explosive position and use it.

2. Grab a very wide grip on your stick. I use both palms facing in to win it back to my D or if my backhand is facing goal (your offside) i grab it regular grip and not as wide of a stance i try to push off with leg closest to goal and twist my body/stick into corner.

2a. menacing glance at opponent

3. look to the ref's hand that is holding the puck.

4. his hand will move up

5. you make your move timing his hand, you have options
Pull straight back sweeping his stick over yours
Muscle him off the puck by pushing forward
hold stick still with weight on it

6. if the ref does a good job the puck lands somewhat flat and you have a clean sweep to wherever you decide.
6a. it might bounce all over, in which case you will have to battle for the puck.

constant draws gets surprisingly tiring but it's fun winning them clean back

RoninNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Bulls9220

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninNYR View Post
1. Get low and wide, but you have to have to be able to do that ( ) side to side motion twisting from the hips... somewhat. Not unlike other hockey moves, in a face-off your strength will come from your core, feel a powerful explosive position and use it.

2. Grab a very wide grip on your stick. I use both palms facing in to win it back to my D or if my backhand is facing goal (your offside) i grab it regular grip and not as wide of a stance i try to push off with leg closest to goal and twist my body/stick into corner.

2a. menacing glance at opponent

3. look to the ref's hand that is holding the puck.

4. his hand will move up

5. you make your move timing his hand, you have options
Pull straight back sweeping his stick over yours
Muscle him off the puck by pushing forward
hold stick still with weight on it

6. if the ref does a good job the puck lands somewhat flat and you have a clean sweep to wherever you decide.
6a. it might bounce all over, in which case you will have to battle for the puck.

constant draws gets surprisingly tiring but it's fun winning them clean back
Thanks, Ill that tomorrow.. Hopefully I can win a few more.

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:37 PM
mobilus

x2 on watching the ref's hand with the puck. His hand will lift a half inch or so as he goes to drop the puck. The moment his hand moves, your brain should be telling your hands to move. By the time the signal works through your body and your hands move, you blade will be sweeping the ice when the puck lands.

Face offs in your end on the left side, you want the puck to go back between your legs or to your left into the corner. On the right side in your end, you want it to go between your legs or to your right, into the corner. Anywhere else on the ice, decide before you go into your stance where you want the puck to go. Knowing in advance of what you want goes a long way to succeeding. Pay attention to what other centremen do against you.

Here's an old Steve Yzerman trick... if the other centreman is the opposite shot as you (say you shoot left and he shoots right): Instead of just trying to win with speed sweeping the puck back, you push your blade forward into his blade, creating a "T" shape, the centre of your blade hitting the toe of his. You push his stick into his own feet, clearing the dot. The puck lands and your stick swings back and you backhand the puck behind you. It's all done in a very quick motion. If he shoots the same as you, sweep his blade out of the dot sideways, either forehand or backhand.

mobilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:44 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i played center for 14 years, and i only had 3 different moves depending on where you are on teh ice.

if you have quick hand eye coordination then you can try to win it to your backhand side.

if you feel that you are too slow or mising the puck (ie it sbouncing or not coming down straight) then instead of trying to get the puck, tie up the other C's stick and twist your whole body, essentially boxing him out form teh puck. if you are going to tie him up then you always let your off side winger know so he knows to come in and get the puck. We use the "yep" system, where as he is getting ready to take the draw he will skate close to teh winger and yep him so he knows. no yep assume he is going to try to win it clean.

another positive to tieing up the C is that after 4-5 times he will just assume that is what you are going to do, then you can win it clean, keep the other guy guessing all the time.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote