HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Should (or will) the Wild continue to lose?

Old
02-12-2012, 05:09 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

vCash: 500
Should (or will) the Wild continue to lose?

Hate to bring in more negativity but, as of this post the Wild are 12th in the West and have lost to the worst team in the league twice in the last week. Have the Wild given up? If we continue to lose at lease we are potentially getting a better draft pick.(No way do I want the NHL to have more of a lottery system than they do now)

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Should: Nope.

Will: We will see.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Should: Nope.

Will: We will see.
That sums it all up nicely.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:23 PM
forthewild

should: if zidlicky plays

will: if zidlicky plays

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Ive got mixed feelings. On the one hand, we all saw what this team could do when they had it together.

On the other hand, I dont want to see them go on a run and have it come up short when some goon gets lucky and throws one of our critical guys face first into the boards again.

I'm feeling like this is a good place to decide to be sellers. Start trading away what we can for picks and prospects with an eye toward building next years team. The only people from this years team that I want to see on next years team so far are Koivu, Seto, Heatley, Clutterbuck, Spurgeon, Falk, Johnson, Powe, Prosser, and Kassian. Brodziak maybe if we can get him signed before the trade deadline for a decent deal otherwise ship him off for a pick or prospect. Christensen I am still undecided but I have liked him at times so far.

Zidz, Zanon, and Schultz I want gone. Backs I would try to move in the offseason to a team thats going to need to meet next years cap floor. Harding I think we could move by the deadline for anything from a pick to a decent prospect to a warm body to plug a hole now. Then next year we bring up Hackett to do backup. Who do we start in net if we move both Backs and Harding? I'm sure there will be someone available on the FA goalie market. A good starting goalie should not cost us more than a couple million a year. Sign one with an eye toward having Hackett be the starter in a couple of years.

Even with all our high end prospects coming up the cupboard is still pretty bare. We dont have many guys in Houston who can come up and plug a hole in the lineup when we need them, so we should still be looking at getting prospects who can have a big impact in the AHL and come up and provide support when there is a need for the parent club.

I think the first move we make is we trade peanuts for Parise's negotiating rights before the FA period begins and we lock him in. That way when FA begins, we've got him already locked up and then we can go after Suter. Then its just a matter of seeing if someone else wants to come here for a reasonable deal.

We should be in good shape next year as long as Granlund isnt a bust. Get in as a 5-8 seed. Then the year after that when more of the prospects come up and we should really start to be a true contender.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:01 PM
BigT2002

Personally this team is way too soft IMO. Everyone always seems to get hurt but Heater and Brodziak basically. I honestly think our medical staff and personal trainers who work these guys out need to be canned and they should bring in people who can actually train these guys. You can't do too much with concussions I know, but then let PMB and those with them actually rest up. We just got done patting ourselves on the back on how the farm system is doing...yet these guys come up and are not utilized in the role they are intended to be in. That needs to be addressed as well. We can't have all Top 6 scorers down there to come up and fill the role of Staubie or something. And the same goes with moving people like Clutterbuck up to the top line instead of putting the Top 6'er in the role when PMB, Lats, and the rest of these injury prone players go down as well. He is a pretty consistent player....but you can't expect him to play 20 minutes of PK/PP/ES either.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing Zids, Zanon, Bouchard, Lats, Backstrom, or even Clutterbuck gone at this point. Trade bait for many teams and hopefully we can get players who can actually stay healthy. Right now basically our 2nd line is on the IR...yet Cullen has basically only missed time because of the flu this year and that's it??

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Dee Oh Cee

The problem is...we don't have any top six players in Houston...all of those prospects are elsewhere and too young.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:06 PM
BraveNewWild

I agree that we should probably look at selling this year. If we lose the next two games, I think we sell anyone who isn't seen as part of the core moving forward.
I'm looking at: Zidlicky, Zanon, Cullen, Harding, and maybe Brodziak (if we can't sign him to a cheap contract)

Next year needs to be a year where this team shows that is moving in some kind of direction.

BraveNewWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
I'm not really sure if panicking like the world is coming to an end every time the Wild are losing is completely rational. From the teams that are competing for the last playoff spots Dallas is the only one that doesn't have more games played. Really, 5-7 teams are competing for 1-3 playoff spots, starting from the same line, so I'm just glad the rest of the season should be interesting.

Coming into the season pretty much everyone thought that we'd finish between spots 7 and 12. It looks like the Wild will be there despite lacking half of the top six for half of the season. Well boo-hoo, fail for Nail.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:09 PM
BLBarmada

They should keep losing, we won't go anywhere if we make it in, and we need a high draft pick cause we need to add a high end prospect on the back end.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Tanking is for pansies like Eddy.

Have some pride, and fight tooth and nail for that 8th spot in the playoffs. Don't trade for anybody, but don't sell all your pieces either. (Guys like Zids, Zanon or Lundin I'm ok with trading)

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
They should keep losing, we won't go anywhere if we make it in, and we need a high draft pick cause we need to add a high end prospect on the back end.
This. No point in trying to make the playoffs when only one of two things is gonna happen:

1. We squeak into the playoffs and get demolished in the 1st round

or

2. We barely miss the playoffs and get the usual mid-low 1st rd pick instead of a high 1st rd pick

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
I'm not really sure if panicking like the world is coming to an end every time the Wild are losing is completely rational. From the teams that are competing for the last playoff spots Dallas is the only one that doesn't have more games played. Really, 5-7 teams are competing for 1-3 playoff spots, starting from the same line, so I'm just glad the rest of the season should be interesting.

Coming into the season pretty much everyone thought that we'd finish between spots 7 and 12. It looks like the Wild will be there despite lacking half of the top six for half of the season. Well boo-hoo, fail for Nail.
Theyve been losing for two months now. Its not like this is some two game losing streak and were all running around screaming like this is some sudden panic. I think its high time we admit that we just plain suck and were not gonna get out of this funk for the rest of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
Tanking is for pansies like Eddy.

Have some pride, and fight tooth and nail for that 8th spot in the playoffs. Don't trade for anybody, but don't sell all your pieces either. (Guys like Zids, Zanon or Lundin I'm ok with trading)
We dont have enough pride to make 8th I think. If we start playing for pride now we'll win a few games, but in the end we'll end up 9th-12th. I say swallow it, sink the team by moving Zanon and Zids and letting our junior D just keep doing what its doing, and see how high of a pick we can get.

Old
02-12-2012, 06:31 PM
ChexLeMeneux

By saying should you are implying that Yeo and Fletcher should do everything they can to lose games. If you think free agents don't want to sign here now why would they sign for a GM and coach that are fine with throwing in the towel.

ChexLeMeneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
So now we have two guys with Zidlicky as their avatar and 'wild' in the name writing here. Not to even mention 'Minnesota'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Theyve been losing for two months now. Its not like this is some two game losing streak and were all running around screaming like this is some sudden panic. I think its high time we admit that we just plain suck and were not gonna get out of this funk for the rest of the year.
I have no idea what you, or anyone else for that matter, thought of the team's direction at the beginning of the season, but to me it seems like some people are saying that we should suddenly start tanking just because we were first for a while. And quite frankly, to me, it makes no sense.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
So now we have two guys with Zidlicky as their avatar and 'wild' in the name writing here. Not to even mention 'Minnesota'.

I have no idea what you, or anyone else for that matter, thought of the team's direction at the beginning of the season, but to me it seems like some people are saying that we should suddenly start tanking just because we were first for a while. And quite frankly, to me, it makes no sense.
What does being first for a while have anything to do with it? Were in the middle of a two month skid. When a skid goes that long I think its safe to say that its less freaky circumstance and more dreadful reality. Unless we get Lats and Butch back oh, for the next damned game, I dont see us pulling out of this skid and making it back to form in time to make the playoffs. The team had it, and lost it, and now theyve been fumbling around in the dark for two months trying to find it again. The whole rest of the NHL has pretty much passed us by at this point. I dont know what we could possibly have left in the tank at this point both emotionally and physically.

Time to get back to basics. Spend the rest of this season learning the basic fundamentals that have been missing from their game. Like how to actually make good passes, how to break out of the zone without throwing the puck off the glass, and how to crash the damned net. Yeah, tank, but tank productively.

Old
02-12-2012, 08:08 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Zidlicky to Columbus
1st round to Minnesoata

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:19 PM
TradeGuru*

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
Hate to bring in more negativity but, as of this post the Wild are 12th in the West and have lost to the worst team in the league twice in the last week. Have the Wild given up? If we continue to lose at lease we are potentially getting a better draft pick.(No way do I want the NHL to have more of a lottery system than they do now)
Wild were never going to make the playoffs going into the season, so this should be of no surprise they are out of them. what we've learned this year is that Heatley is done being anything more than a role player. Also, what we've learned is that a change of scenery won't make Setoguchi any good.

TradeGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:44 PM
BLBarmada

We had a great start where things were going well, now we've come back down to earth, I was stunned at our December record, and I think we're just not a playoff hockey team, the D just isnt strong enough, we're lacking a PPQB and a PMD, and our D is very young.

If we get lucky we get a highend D prospect, I would like to get a Trouba, or a Reilly, and I would love if we could acquire another first an use it on Matheson, he's a great D, and a legit offensive Dman, huge fan of the kid.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
Zidlicky to Columbus
1st round to Minnesoata
Zidz + Zanon + our first for their first.

If Fletcher could get their first for that somehow I would be ecstatic.

Old
02-12-2012, 09:31 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

They wouldnt want Zanon as he's a FA to be and Columbus wont be making the playoffs. They couldnt even use him as a rental.

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
They wouldnt want Zanon as he's a FA to be and Columbus wont be making the playoffs. They couldnt even use him as a rental.
So we talk to Columbus and if they agree to it, we sign Zanon to a one year extension and then trade him the next day. Problem solved

Old
02-12-2012, 11:07 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
I just hope we don't give up on Lats. The price / upside ratio is just too awesome for us to not try and resign him. He showed he's a hard worker and was in shape, and kicking ass. The concussion thing may be risky, but we can't keep letting goal scorers walk out for nothing.

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
I just hope we don't give up on Lats. The price / upside ratio is just too awesome for us to not try and resign him. He showed he's a hard worker and was in shape, and kicking ass. The concussion thing may be risky, but we can't keep letting goal scorers walk out for nothing.
Agreed. The guy is just too damned good to risk letting him walk away and then seeing him light it up with another team when he finally heals from this concussion. And I think he WILL eventually heal. Give him a "prove it" contract.

I think if we shut him down for this year, sign him for next year, and let him just go at his own pace, he will heal. And then once he does, get him up to speed a lot slower this time, rather than just letting him jump right back in and reinjure himself right away. I'm talking a couple weeks of noncontact practice followed by a couple weeks of light contact practice followed by several more weeks of full contract practice before we even let him think about dressing.

And make sure he's wearing the helmet with the best concussion protection available, and a visor.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I would like to see this team draft top end offensive talent this year. Someone who definitely will come in and score right away. The Wild need bonified elite first line talent. I don't care if they make the playoffs this season anymore. They will only get destroyed in the first round anyway. So go ahead and tank away.

I don't think they really have to tank at this point because they can't win even against the worst of the worst right now.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote