HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks at Caps 7:30 PM 2/13/2012

Old
02-13-2012, 07:10 AM
KevinM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
as always it depends on the specifics. if this team gets green back in mid march and backstrom in early april and then make the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed. then win in the first round over boston or nyr and then lose a competitive 2nd round series, i'd say nothing major changes.

conversely if they miss the playoffs, hunter says he's not coming back and leonsis and patrick change gm's.

if backs and green dont return and they scratch into the playoffs, i doubt there are changes either. it needs to play out.
What makes you think that Hunter is going to be the scapegoat if they miss the playoffs?

KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:40 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
What makes you think that Hunter is going to be the scapegoat if they miss the playoffs?
What if he decides he doesn't want the job? The hesitation has generally been from his end in terms of taking it before, hasn't it?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:52 AM
txpd

hunter took the job for a ready made product. if this team isnt ready to win, i suspect he wants to go back to london. if mcphee is fired, he is either not offered a contract or doesnt want to stay as his position is based entirely on his long relationship with mcphee.

its like stripping ov of the c. its hard to do that and keep the player. in this case its really hard to can the gm and keep the coach.

scapegoating has nothing to do with it. hunter signed for the rest of the season. if there is a new gm, he will want his own coach. if the caps fail to make the playoffs, its possible to likely that it will be hunter's choice not to remain. lets face it, the caps record pre change and post change is not much different. their place in the standings remains the same. so far this is not a happy scenario for dale hunter.

Last edited by txpd: 02-13-2012 at 07:57 AM.
txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Depends on who the GM is obviously. But you would imagine that the new guy wants his guy coming in.

Hunter has a lot of clout in Canadian circles, and it might be hard for a guy to come in with that. Knowing that if egg lands somewhere, hitting Dale with it is a bit difficult.

That and while he might "want" to give it a try in the NHL, he doesn't "need" to give it a try in the NHL. There's a severe difference.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:16 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

If they miss the playoffs, the Hunter experiment has to be over. It would indicate that they didn't get any better. I'm sure whoever's in charge could come to some kind of amenable agreement to make it look like Dale wasn't happy with the NHL job and wanted to go to back to juniors. That way you save face for one of your organizational icons.

Then you hire an experienced NHL coach, like GMGM should have in the first place. Carlyle, Carbonneau, Quenneville, Ruff, etc.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:27 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Interested to see the lineup changes tonight if any. I'm thinking primarily of the two oldest guys on the team. Both seemingly have found their way quickly into the doghouse.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:41 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Serious question. What happens if this team misses the playoffs? Or gets bounced in the first or second round again? What will it be then. Id like a serious answer.
Are they handing out six Stanley Cups each year or does only one team still win?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Devil Dancer

They've lost every time they are supposed to win and vice versa, so look for a big win tonight.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:51 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Kolzig vs Nabokov, what a goaltending matchup!!!

Old
02-13-2012, 09:04 AM
The Flying Finn

I'd really like to see Carlyle coach this team. Don't have nothing against Hunter but you can't compare them.

The Flying Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:08 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Finn View Post
Don't have nothing against Hunter
I do.

This product @#$^ing sucks to watch.

I mean, you can call our Russians enigmatic and lazy, but when you play 4 1/2 men back all game, you aren't going to make them want to try harder.

This @#%^ is stupid.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:12 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I wonder if it would be possible to pry Tippett away from Phoenix. He'd be far and away my first choice if Ruff isn't canned.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:19 AM
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
hunter took the job for a ready made product. if this team isnt ready to win, i suspect he wants to go back to london. if mcphee is fired, he is either not offered a contract or doesnt want to stay as his position is based entirely on his long relationship with mcphee.

its like stripping ov of the c. its hard to do that and keep the player. in this case its really hard to can the gm and keep the coach.

scapegoating has nothing to do with it. hunter signed for the rest of the season. if there is a new gm, he will want his own coach. if the caps fail to make the playoffs, its possible to likely that it will be hunter's choice not to remain. lets face it, the caps record pre change and post change is not much different. their place in the standings remains the same. so far this is not a happy scenario for dale hunter.
Okay, I misunderstood and/or misread your initial post. I thought you were referring to a scenario in which we miss the playoffs and DH is the only one to get canned (which IMO wouldn't be fair to Hunter, but that's sometimes how things go).

Edit^: I would love to get Tippett.

KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:24 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I think Im on full tank mode at this point. I just dont care anymore.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:35 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, it's tough to get too emotionally invested in a team when they're mediocre in every sense.

Hopefully they ramp it up to bring the interest back or start thinking about the future and do some selling.

And Sutton got extended yesterday, so another defenseman off the market...just saying.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I don't hope they tank. But at the same time, it might be for the best.

They're just not very good.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:45 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I think Im on full tank mode at this point. I just dont care anymore.
Fact is, with games in hand, they can easily be the 7/8 seed and still play FLA twice. It sounds like Green is getting closer. I am not ready to throw it in yet.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Knuble likely sitting again. Dumb.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:49 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Fact is, with games in hand, they can easily be the 7/8 seed and still play FLA twice. It sounds like Green is getting closer. I am not ready to throw it in yet.
Closer to what? His next concussion? Or his next shoulder separation?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I don't think they tank, but I'm certainly not expecting the Caps to be a buyer for any kind of impact player. I think they let it ride, possibly add some third-tier depth, but it wouldn't completely shock me if they dealt a UFA or two. My guess is that they will have had a conversation or two with Wideman before the deadline, to get a feel for his intentions.

The weekend isn't over, not really. They lose this one in regulation, and it's starting to look fairly grim, with the weekend's three-and-out tally as a backdrop. They scrape out some points today, and they're right back in their win some/lose some mode.

Can't say that I haven't already started looking ahead to settling in for the playoffs to watch some great hockey, without having to worry about the fortunes of the team for which I cheer.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Knuble likely sitting again. Dumb.
Rather go down with Knuble than Jay Beagle. What do I know. I didn't coach a stacked team to the CHL finals.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:54 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Same.

This team is very middle of the road without Green + Backstrom. With one of them back we're slightly above average (6-8th in points) and with both back we're above average (4-6th in points).

We're by no means the dominant force that we were in the regular season with all of our players back, but with some showing of grit and heart (from time to time) I'll have a wait and see attitude in the playoffs. We're just spoiled with how well they've been playing in previous seasons. Getting to the playoffs is part of the battle.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:54 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

No problem with Knuble sitting. He's done pretty much nothing this year, and I'd be shocked if he's back nest year.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I don't think they tank, but I'm certainly not expecting the Caps to be a buyer for any kind of impact player. I think they let it ride, possible add some third-tier depth, but it wouldn't completely shock me if they dealt a UFA or two. My guess is that they will have had a conversation or two with Wideman before the deadline, to get a feel for his intentions.

The weekend isn't over, not really. They lose this one in regulation, and it's starting to look fairly grim, with the weekend's three-and-out tally as a backdrop. They scrape out some points today, and they're right back in their win some/lose some mode.

Can't say that I haven't already started looking ahead to settling in for the playoffs to watch some great hockey, without having to worry about the fortunes of the team for which I cheer.

Personally, I can't imagine McPhee lets them go down without bringing in anything. He might only get a 3rd liner or something, but I don't know that he can afford to say screw it with his job possibly up in the air a bit.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

That's why I think some third-tier depth sorts of acquisitions could happen, but that any sort of major acquisition, giving up key futures, isn't on the table.

I don't think McPhee is fighting for his job, personally. There is more fan revolt brewing than is usual, but I do not get the sense that Leonsis is about to dump his GM.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote