HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks at Caps 7:30 PM 2/13/2012

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2012, 12:40 AM
  #551
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass
 
Mr Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Would be a waste, the 2c would become a 4c and the top 4 d would become an extra.

Caps curse.
The Curse of Dainius Zubrus

100 years of no steady 2C

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:44 AM
  #552
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Just trade Schultz and Boston's 2nd for Koivu and Cramarossa and be done with it.

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:28 AM
  #553
Brian23
Registered User
 
Brian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,407
vCash: 500
Honestly, do people want GMGM to go on a selling spree to save his job? Wouldn't you rather he do nothing so the potential next GM has pieces to work with?

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:30 AM
  #554
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
I would like him to go on a selling spree because it's best for the team. GMGM is good at getting value for sales, possibly great, and waiting for the offseason will cost us all of our pending UFA for nothing.

Personally, I want Semin resigned for a paycut though.

__________________
mrwarden is in ur threads, deleting ur posts
mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:41 AM
  #555
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass
 
Mr Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
Honestly, do people want GMGM to go on a selling spree to save his job? Wouldn't you rather he do nothing so the potential next GM has pieces to work with?
I think you have it mix up. People don't want him to go crazy to try to save his job. Like trading Galiev and a 1st for a top six rental to try to make the playoffs.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:31 AM
  #556
Capathetic
Registered User
 
Capathetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
I wonder how he must feel gmgm that is. Its his job to build and keep this team in contention..and with expectations the last few years through the roof that seat has got to be hot. Right now hes not looking too good,and something needs to be done. He's like a cop watching the city get destroyed or a lifeguard letting someone drown.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:35 AM
  #557
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,617
vCash: 500
I find this "I'm afraid to let the GM do his job" attitude disturbing...

He should be allowed to do what he believes are moves to improve the roster. He's not suddenly going to start giving away assets for nothing. And I think it's funny some are talking as if he's a lame duck GM, just waiting for the firing to be announced. There's not one hint that McPhee's job is at risk right now.


Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 02-14-2012 at 02:42 AM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:39 AM
  #558
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
I would like him to go on a selling spree because it's best for the team. GMGM is good at getting value for sales, possibly great, and waiting for the offseason will cost us all of our pending UFA for nothing.

Personally, I want Semin resigned for a paycut though.
How much of a cut do you really expect him to take? Flash got 4.5 per.

So you're ready to throw the towel in huh? Or is it possible he could move out some short term guys and bring in others at the same time?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:27 AM
  #559
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 22,263
vCash: 500
I wonder if Dale isn't in over his head.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:45 AM
  #560
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry
 
stanleycaps98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chocolate City
Posts: 3,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Blind ref loses sight of puck, news at 11.
That was so beyond awful. Even up in the 400's, we were incredulous about the idea that someone could lose the puck.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:58 AM
  #561
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I wonder if Dale isn't in over his head.
something isnt right. thats for sure. this is depressing.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:18 AM
  #562
yay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
I would like him to go on a selling spree because it's best for the team. GMGM is good at getting value for sales, possibly great, and waiting for the offseason will cost us all of our pending UFA for nothing.

Personally, I want Semin resigned for a paycut though.
Pretty much this. Gmgm has always done well when selling assets . Have to believe he could get firsts and or solid prospects for Wideman and Vokoun.

Most interested to see what they do with Green. RFA, and too injury prone to give a high dollar long term deal to.

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:19 AM
  #563
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I figured there would be much pitchfork waving when I got on here.

I thought the Caps played pretty well, besides the PK and Holtby. They controlled the play at even strength, and got tons of zone time and plenty of chances on the PP.

Auger was a joke, but that's to be expected. Any explanation as to Recker's misconduct, or the random whistling of the puck dead while the Caps were in control in the offensive zone?
It was the same puck used in the Rangers game. Evidently at times and for some unknown reason it's able to camoflauge itself so zebras cannot see it but everyone else (players, fans, coaches) can with absolutely no problem. Weird.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:34 AM
  #564
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of steel View Post
Florida panthers fans rejoice
Yes. And no.

Yes until we're guaranteed in.

Then would love to see you guys make it as I'm sick of the knocks on our division.

And I'm a huge vokoun fan. He just gave a huge donation FYI to a junior hockey players family down here whose father is dying of cancer. he is very philanthropic.

See y'all Friday. Say hi in our gdt.

Cheers.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:45 AM
  #565
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 22,263
vCash: 500
The irony is we'll probably go down there, beat them again, and yet still blow it and our chances of making the playoffs.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:03 AM
  #566
Efactor
Registered User
 
Efactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
How much of a cut do you really expect him to take? Flash got 4.5 per.

So you're ready to throw the towel in huh? Or is it possible he could move out some short term guys and bring in others at the same time?
I would think 5yrs/$25M + Limited NMC is reasonable. He won't get less than Laich, but that deal would save us almost $2M/yr.

I also agree with warden. At this point, we should look to next year when we could be healthy and also reshape the roster because right now we have ZERO team chemistry.

Coaching is also an area that will need to be addressed in the off-season. We need a real coach.


Last edited by Efactor: 02-14-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Efactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:00 AM
  #567
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,450
vCash: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
something isnt right. thats for sure. this is depressing.
Its no more depressing than our playoff failures over the past three years. Something was wrong before he got here. Its just the ups and downs of a hockey team.

George built a team built around the individual play of his 4 stars. Dale has 2 stars now, and they are both meeting at least my expectations in his tenure. The other two are out of the lineup.

This is the team George built. Dale is trying to make them play as a team. Bruce to his credit saw his 4 stars and let them go win games and it was a party - everyone got laid. Instant success. Facing a well coached disciplined team, they would struggle. It was fun while it lasted, but it didn't last. Green seemed more interested in playing defense when not injured; Ovi got stuffed by double teams and seemingly demoralized - I dont see that toothless smile anymore. Semin allowed to do as he wanted - repeatedly dove. Nick stayed solid but he was the only one.

Wideman bounced around a bit for an all star, which may say something. Carlson is still a greenhorn. Alzner is still young. Orlov is even younger. Our steady Eddie Hammer has been a punching bag. Sarge and Erskine can barely make it into the lineup. MP MJ and Aucoin are not ready to be scoring line C's. Laich hasn't been a scoring line C the entire year.

What's wrong is we have no center depth, and a young defense, and a GM that seems more focused on competing 5 years from now than on a Cup today. Really, nothing much has changed.


Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-14-2012 at 08:12 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:38 AM
  #568
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
I'm not as pessimistic as most I guess. Maybe by next Tuesday I will be. IDK.

The effort was there last night - until the end. The Caps just finished playing two of the top teams in the league that are firing on all cylinders. They played a game at home and one on the road. For the most part they had their fair share of chances in both games and with a little luck could have won both games. But they didn't. Having said that they still are only one point out of eighth, three out of 7th with three games at hand and of course there is Florida.

I realize a center and another D would help. The return of Mike Green would help tremendously IMHO. Not necessarily because of his play but because of the following:

1. Wideman moves down possibly to the third pair where he started the season. Having the offensive talent in Orlov and Wideman is something few teams have on a third pairing. Hamrlik and Orlov were tearing it up last night. Look at their metrics.

2. Green would help the PP. I can't see any real adjustment Hunter has made on a struggling PP. I'm at the point where they just play it like a 5 on 5 and move around instead of setting up for that perfect play.

3. Wideman's and Carlson's minutes would be reduced.

4. Orlov moves back to the left where I could have sworn JJ said he feels more comfortable. But the kid has for the most part been great.

5. There could be at least one powerful point shot on each D pair and in some cases two depending on what Hunter does.

I'm not throwing in the towel yet. What does anyone think about Dominic Moore? Maybe not quite what you're looking for but would add depth, good faceoff guy and PK'er?

Anyway...........teams go into slumps, players can still get injured. I'm not wishing that on anyone when I say that - just that it's possible.

I'm a Habs fan too. This year I feel like I'm following the Biggest Loser between the Habs and Caps. The Habs barely, barely squeaked into the playoffs not long ago and we all know what happened.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:53 AM
  #569
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 6,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
What did Carlson/Alzner do if Wideman gave up tonight? They were on for every goal.
I make my observations on what I witnessed in person last night, not from reading a box score or watching the game on TV. When you're at a game you get to watch a player away from the puck and the little things you notice about their play. Wideman went in to the corners last night and showed no fight/battle for the puck and very little desire to be physical. On one of the Capitals PPs he and MAJO ran into each other (yeah it looked like a Chinese fire drill), Wideman immediately displayed his disatisfaction and frustration with one of his teammates and skated to the bench. Wideman by doing that demonstrated a lack of leadership and team support. He's no longer playing for the Capitals but rather his next contract. Besides, I've said it all along, he can't hold a candle to Mike Green.

Overall the Caps defense has had their problems, but I believe that they have a good foundation for next season with the return of Mike Green and the play of Orlov this season. I haven't been a fan of Hamrlik, however I must say that his play has improved alot and it helps to have him paired with Orlov (that is I think it helps Orlov to have that veteran with him). Right now that's what Carlson needs, a Willie Mitchell to play along side of him.

Capitals move the likes of Wideman, Schultz and Erskine this season and then obtain/sign a 1/2 d-man along with a veteran d-man for next season, having Hamrlik as your #7 d-man (though his earning 3.5 is alot for a 7 d-man) is not bad as he's in his late 30's and not playing as many games might be beneficial to him and the team.

BiPolar Caps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:17 AM
  #570
Bure
Registered User
 
Bure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
The Curse of Dainius Zubrus

100 years of no steady 2C
Yep pretty much.

I wish Grabovski was available.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:22 AM
  #571
MD Moose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I find this "I'm afraid to let the GM do his job" attitude disturbing...

He should be allowed to do what he believes are moves to improve the roster. He's not suddenly going to start giving away assets for nothing. And I think it's funny some are talking as if he's a lame duck GM, just waiting for the firing to be announced. There's not one hint that McPhee's job is at risk right now.
I think what you are getting is the not wanting McPhee to make any moves because he could mess things up and make matters worse. Plus I think that many have the reasonable position that his days could be numbered. I know we all have the benefit of hindsight, and his job is not easy I'm sure, but I've only been pleased with roughly 1 out of every 4 or 5 trades, and some have just been downright awful. In addition, I think some of the drafting has been a little suspect.

MD Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:23 AM
  #572
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I make my observations on what I witnessed in person last night, not from reading a box score or watching the game on TV. When you're at a game you get to watch a player away from the puck and the little things you notice about their play. Wideman went in to the corners last night and showed no fight/battle for the puck and very little desire to be physical. On one of the Capitals PPs he and MAJO ran into each other (yeah it looked like a Chinese fire drill), Wideman immediately displayed his disatisfaction and frustration with one of his teammates and skated to the bench. Wideman by doing that demonstrated a lack of leadership and team support. He's no longer playing for the Capitals but rather his next contract. Besides, I've said it all along, he can't hold a candle to Mike Green.

Overall the Caps defense has had their problems, but I believe that they have a good foundation for next season with the return of Mike Green and the play of Orlov this season. I haven't been a fan of Hamrlik, however I must say that his play has improved alot and it helps to have him paired with Orlov (that is I think it helps Orlov to have that veteran with him). Right now that's what Carlson needs, a Willie Mitchell to play along side of him.

Capitals move the likes of Wideman, Schultz and Erskine this season and then obtain/sign a 1/2 d-man along with a veteran d-man for next season, having Hamrlik as your #7 d-man (though his earning 3.5 is alot for a 7 d-man) is not bad as he's in his late 30's and not playing as many games might be beneficial to him and the team.
Yep, i saw it too. He looked like he was looking at Mojo a little too long, being a teammate and all...
Dont like Widemans game, too much risk and not enough reward. He needs to go, but Earskine... no, we need him as a gritty 7 D.

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:48 AM
  #573
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Moose View Post
I think what you are getting is the not wanting McPhee to make any moves because he could mess things up and make matters worse. Plus I think that many have the reasonable position that his days could be numbered. I know we all have the benefit of hindsight, and his job is not easy I'm sure, but I've only been pleased with roughly 1 out of every 4 or 5 trades, and some have just been downright awful. In addition, I think some of the drafting has been a little suspect.
So you've only liked 3 of the last 12-15 trades?

I can see some people having issues with a couple of his deadline deals like the Corvo deal and possibly the Morrison trade along with the King for SDR deal, but the majority of the trades he's made have been fairly good IMO.

Fedorov for Teddy Ruth
Huet for a 2nd
Cooke for Pettinger
Chimera for Clark + Jurcina
Jurcina back for essentially nothing
Scott Walker for a 7th
Flash for Hannan
Arnott for 2nd + Steckel
Wideman for 3rd + Hauswirth
Fehr for 4th + random prospect
Varlamov for 1st + 2nd

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
  #574
ReggietheSavage15
Registered User
 
ReggietheSavage15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I wonder if Dale isn't in over his head.
One thing that I noticed last night was Jim Johnson diagramming a play in the final minute of the hockey game while Dale looked on. Maybe that's the norm around the league, but I found it a bit curious.

I liked Dale as a player, but I don't like anything about him as a coach. I do feel as though he's way in over his head and probably won't be retained next year.

We have the horses here in DC as evident by the high scoring output that the team has had over the years. However, panic set in and they made one too many tweaks to the system and now EVERYTHING is a mess.

We need a coach with NHL experience to come in and to help get everything back on track. IMO, this season is a wash.

ReggietheSavage15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:02 AM
  #575
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor
 
amjay13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,878
vCash: 500
stay classy caps......per katie:

Talked to Michal Neuvirth, who said no one told him that he wouldn't be starting yesterday. He assumed he'd be in w/ Vokoun ill.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.