HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Sharks at Caps 7:30 PM 2/13/2012

Old
02-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Roughing

vCash: 500
That's the most frustrating ****ing game in this frustrating ****ing season. So much fail. I want to choke a few of these refs to death. I wanted DFH. I never thought he'd coach a team to be the complete opposite of how he played. We are the softest defensive team I've ever seen. It's not even close. Watch the goal highlights. There's never a dman in front of our net. Other team players are just allowed to skate into, and stay, in the crease area for as long as they want. It's insanity. And this happens in a "defensive oriented" system where we collapse down and let the other team have a shooting gallery. If I didn't see it happen every game I would think it impossible...

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:08 AM
amjay13

yikes:

Hunter on Michal Neuvirth: ""If he was standing on his head every night, would Braden be playing?" #Caps

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:12 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Assumption is the mother of all F ups. Holtby hadn't gotten into a game all friggin year. Its not like Neuvy is the number 1, then I could see him being miffed.

A recent article detailed that Dale and his assistants all have input in all phases of the game. I presume that Bruce did not do that.

That would easily explain JJ diagramming plays. Plus, an offense needs to break down a defense to score. Do you want lets say an offense only guy drawing up plays? A defensive guys knowledge is needed too.

I was surprised to see JJ diagramming plays at first. But he may simply be more articulate in verbalizing what they want to do. Dale tells him aside after calling a timeout, "run the Ovi one timer play" - then JJ draws it up. Delegating.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:17 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Assumption is the mother of all F ups. Holtby hadn't gotten into a game all friggin year. Its not like Neuvy is the number 1, then I could see him being miffed.

A recent article detailed that Dale and his assistants all have input in all phases of the game. I presume that Bruce did not do that.

That would easily explain JJ diagramming plays. Plus, an offense needs to break down a defense to score. Do you want lets say an offense only guy drawing up plays? A defensive guys knowledge is needed too.

I was surprised to see JJ diagramming plays at first. But he may simply be more articulate in verbalizing what they want to do. Dale tells him aside after calling a timeout, "run the Ovi one timer play" - then JJ draws it up. Delegating.
Wow. Talk about laying it on thick.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:20 AM
amjay13

Perhaps a London fan would be able to tell us if Hunter's assistants drew up the plays there...........I suspect they did.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
yikes:

Hunter on Michal Neuvirth: ""If he was standing on his head every night, would Braden be playing?" #Caps
Neuvirth has won just six of his seventeen starts. His GAA is 3.07 and his Save % is .894. He's having an awful year. The coaches know that, his teammates I'm sure don't appreciate it, no matter what he's done in the past for this team. I don't buy the talk that's he's rusty, or unlucky, or a victim of the bad defense in front of him. Sure all of those things I'm sure have affected some goals he's allowed, but in general he's just having a poor year. If the team feels they have to call up Holtby, who's not having the best year at the AHL level either, instead of playing Neuvirth, that speaks volumes.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:53 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

As for Holtby, I felt for him yesterday. That first goal, in his first NHL start of the year, was so "Caps curse" ad he'd played so well to that point. I think it really rattled him, and yet, of the 4 others, only the second was super soft and I thought he deserved a whistle before that went in. He wasn't good, but I think he'd deserve another shot this year.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:15 PM
txpd

all three goalies have given up goals from center ice in the last couple of weeks. amazing.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:18 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
all three goalies have given up goals from center ice in the last couple of weeks. amazing.
That's like a once a year (or once every 2) for the entire NHL. And the Caps get three unique cases in the span of less than 10 games.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:31 PM
txpd

only thing is that neuvirth seems to get burned for it while the other two get a pass. its interesting. particularly considering the vokoun goal cost them a point in the standings.

thats how it goes.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:39 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
only thing is that neuvirth seems to get burned for it while the other two get a pass. its interesting. particularly considering the vokoun goal cost them a point in the standings.

thats how it goes.
The Samuelsson goal was probably the most straightforward fakeout. That said, people are idiots sometimes. Doesn't make much difference, those are once-in-a-career things (well, twice for Vokoun apparently) and shouldn't factor into your evaluation of a players' abilities.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

thats how it goes.
I suspect it's because his is the only one that wasn't a deflection.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
MD Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
So you've only liked 3 of the last 12-15 trades?

I can see some people having issues with a couple of his deadline deals like the Corvo deal and possibly the Morrison trade along with the King for SDR deal, but the majority of the trades he's made have been fairly good IMO.

Fedorov for Teddy Ruth
Huet for a 2nd
Cooke for Pettinger
Chimera for Clark + Jurcina
Jurcina back for essentially nothing
Scott Walker for a 7th
Flash for Hannan
Arnott for 2nd + Steckel
Wideman for 3rd + Hauswirth
Fehr for 4th + random prospect
Varlamov for 1st + 2nd
Federov was good; A 2nd just seems like too much to give up for a couple month rental player; Cooke/Pettinger - a wash; Chimera was one of the good ones; didn't like the Walker one and he didn't do anything; Hannan is gone and Flash is scoring goals; Arnott looked good for a few games then crap, Steckel is contributing and again a 2nd is a lot to give up for a real short term rental player; Wideman was good; Fehr ok; definitely good to get a 1st for Varly, but that's essentially what he was so it's sort of a wash although you do get the other pick

But then I'm sure we could make a longer list for those that were not good.

MD Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Moose View Post
Federov was good; A 2nd just seems like too much to give up for a couple month rental player; Cooke/Pettinger - a wash; Chimera was one of the good ones; didn't like the Walker one and he didn't do anything; Hannan is gone and Flash is scoring goals; Arnott looked good for a few games then crap, Steckel is contributing and again a 2nd is a lot to give up for a real short term rental player; Wideman was good; Fehr ok; definitely good to get a 1st for Varly, but that's essentially what he was so it's sort of a wash although you do get the other pick

But then I'm sure we could make a longer list for those that were not good.
Take a look at the deadline deals over the last couple years and you'll see what a 2nd rounder gets you. Taking a look at the overall trade market, most of those deals were good trades. I don't know what kind of return you expect to get. Complaining that the 2nd for Huet was too much to give up just makes you look bad/bitter. He was absolutely dynamite for the Caps down the stretch.

The only complaints I see in there are that Hannan is gone and Steckel is contributing. Flash would have been gone too and he was redundant in DC. As for Steckel, he is making $1.1M, has 8 points, is 3rd worst among their forwards in +/-, and 2nd worst in Corsi Rel QoC. If you want to call that producing, go right ahead.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:20 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
The Samuelsson goal was probably the most straightforward fakeout. That said, people are idiots sometimes. Doesn't make much difference, those are once-in-a-career things (well, twice for Vokoun apparently) and shouldn't factor into your evaluation of a players' abilities.
TBH........I'm not so sure that Cory Stillman, a couple of years ago while with Carolina, pulled a "Samuelsson" against Vokoun.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:26 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
TBH........I'm not so sure that Cory Stillman, a couple of years ago while with Carolina, pulled a "Samuelsson" against Vokoun.
Wasn't it even worse? Hadn't Vokoun basically left the crease already?

Old
02-14-2012, 02:34 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Wasn't it even worse? Hadn't Vokoun basically left the crease already?
I forget - just remember Stillman and his teammates having a good chuckle. I always liked Stillman - crafty and had a nose for the crease. Where the heck is he? Sign him for cheap GMGM.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:40 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
As for Holtby, I felt for him yesterday. That first goal, in his first NHL start of the year, was so "Caps curse" ad he'd played so well to that point. I think it really rattled him, and yet, of the 4 others, only the second was super soft and I thought he deserved a whistle before that went in. He wasn't good, but I think he'd deserve another shot this year.
I agree. His first NHL of the year. If he didn't make some plays in the first, we would have been beaten down more. I thought on one of those goals he was going to blow a gasket.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:47 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:

thats how it goes.
Trust me, Neuvy, and Vokoun both got cussed at for the soft goals this year. It happens. That is sports. The Neuvy soft goal against Colorado could potentially got us a point or 2. We would be in the 8th spot now if we had got that point. Vokoun letting in his goal against Winnipeg would have us in 3rd place. Vokoun has been playing great for a while now, but overall the goal tending has cost us some games this year. Add in no heart by other players and that equals a disaster. Stealing Backstrom's words, "It is what it is".

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:52 PM
txpd

i am also trying to understand the player management that dale and staff are using.
they really let neuvirth think all day that he was playing and then smacked him with reality when he showed up?

they really are scratching mike knuble for aucoin and wrecker? is this accountability at play? motivation or just circular file stuff?

Old
02-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Duke33

Quote:

thats how it goes.
Vokoun though has for the most part had a pretty solid season. He's had some gaffes but has done a good job for the most part.

Neuvirth has just been bad for the most part.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
yikes:

That was a grasping at straws decision by Hunter IMO.

If Holtby hadn't also played Sunday maybe I could have understood it. But instead of giving Neuvirth a chance to sharpen up his form with back to backs he rolls the dice on a guy whose game started 4.5 hours later than Neuvirth's the day before and then had to travel that morning to get to the rink.

I hope Vokoun is ready to play out the string this season as Hunter couldn't have alienated Neuvirth more IMO. Not that Neuvirth has been very good but still...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I make my observations on what I witnessed in person last night, not from reading a box score or watching the game on TV. When you're at a game you get to watch a player away from the puck and the little things you notice about their play. Wideman went in to the corners last night and showed no fight/battle for the puck and very little desire to be physical. On one of the Capitals PPs he and MAJO ran into each other (yeah it looked like a Chinese fire drill), Wideman immediately displayed his disatisfaction and frustration with one of his teammates and skated to the bench. Wideman by doing that demonstrated a lack of leadership and team support. He's no longer playing for the Capitals but rather his next contract. Besides, I've said it all along, he can't hold a candle to Mike Green.

Overall the Caps defense has had their problems, but I believe that they have a good foundation for next season with the return of Mike Green and the play of Orlov this season. I haven't been a fan of Hamrlik, however I must say that his play has improved alot and it helps to have him paired with Orlov (that is I think it helps Orlov to have that veteran with him). Right now that's what Carlson needs, a Willie Mitchell to play along side of him.

Capitals move the likes of Wideman, Schultz and Erskine this season and then obtain/sign a 1/2 d-man along with a veteran d-man for next season, having Hamrlik as your #7 d-man (though his earning 3.5 is alot for a 7 d-man) is not bad as he's in his late 30's and not playing as many games might be beneficial to him and the team.
Clearly every player who glares at teammate after a poor play is demonstrating a lack of leadership and support.

Thankfully it only happens about 10 times a game across all pro sports. How dare Eli Manning or Tom Brady glare or even yell at a teammate who doesn't catch the ball? I'm outraged.

Seriously though...if I'm Wideman and the Caps aren't showing any inclination towards resigning me after I'm an allstar, my patience is pretty thin for any sort of keystone cops play.

And $3.5 mil for a 7th D is absurdly poor cap management.

Lastly, Wideman is the most talented established D McPhee has ever obtained in DC. It took him 15 years to get Wideman. How long will it take him to acquire another 1/2 D-man? They don't grow on trees.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 02-14-2012 at 04:29 PM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
stay classy caps......per katie:

Talked to Michal Neuvirth, who said no one told him that he wouldn't be starting yesterday. He assumed he'd be in w/ Vokoun ill.
This is the stuff that scares me....when players are blindsided. Communication is a must. At least Hunter isn't texting players the night before a game telling them they're benched like I heard some pro soccer coach did recently.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Vokoun though has for the most part had a pretty solid season. He's had some gaffes but has done a good job for the most part.

Neuvirth has just been bad for the most part.
i think katie posted today that neuvirth's last 5 games(all he has played in the last 22) have been 2.50gaa .918sv%. is that bad?