HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Sharks at Caps 7:30 PM 2/13/2012

Old
02-14-2012, 04:53 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Clearly every player who glares at teammate after a poor play is demonstrating a lack of leadership and support.

Thankfully it only happens about 10 times a game across all pro sports. How dare Eli Manning or Tom Brady glare or even yell at a teammate who doesn't catch the ball? I'm outraged.

Seriously though...if I'm Wideman and the Caps aren't showing any inclination towards resigning me after I'm an allstar, my patience is pretty thin for any sort of keystone cops play.

And $3.5 mil for a 7th D is absurdly poor cap management.

Lastly, Wideman is the most talented established D McPhee has ever obtained in DC. It took him 15 years to get Wideman. How long will it take him to acquire another 1/2 D-man? They don't grow on trees.
Wideman's suceess with the Capitals can be owed in large part to Mike Green's injuries. Happy that Wideman made the All Star team as hopefully it will increase his value for trade purposes, but lets not make Wideman out to be anything more than he is, for if he was he'd still be with Boston.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:17 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Wideman's suceess with the Capitals can be owed in large part to Mike Green's injuries. Happy that Wideman made the All Star team as hopefully it will increase his value for trade purposes, but lets not make Wideman out to be anything more than he is, for if he was he'd still be with Boston.
I agree he's made a good showing of himself and is prime trade bait, but I think you have to give him more credit than that. Sure, his role has increased because of 52's injuries, but he's stepped up his game in that increased role. Lord knows a lot of guys on this team have not made the most of similar opportunities (Marcus Johansson, white courtesy phone).

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:51 PM
artilector

If Neuvirth wasn't told that he wasn't starting, that's a fail on Caps' part, no doubt about it.

But overall, I don't see a problem with giving Holtby a chance. Why not?? With the season that Neuvirth has had, he should keep quiet and just try to make the most out of whatever starts he's getting.

Same goes for Knuble, I don't see a problem with Hunter sitting him out. He hasn't done much for the Caps this year, and as much as everybody respects him, others deserve a chance, too.

I kind of like the fact that Hunter is holding some people accountable -- Schultz, Neuvirth, Knuble.. and he doesn't do it in a stupid "you're a north-south Canadian boy, you must be working hard"... he's giving Perreault ice time because even though that guy is tiny and all about skill, he hustles..

The only way it becomes a problem is if Hunter has a double standard. Like if one of his star players coasts and Hunter doesn't do anything, that can screw up the team morale.

But so far, even though I'm quite on the fence about Hunter's tactics, the accountability thing is a breath of fresh air.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Clearly every player who glares at teammate after a poor play is demonstrating a lack of leadership and support.
Mark Messier, worst leader ever...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I agree he's made a good showing of himself and is prime trade bait, but I think you have to give him more credit than that. Sure, his role has increased because of 52's injuries, but he's stepped up his game in that increased role. Lord knows a lot of guys on this team have not made the most of similar opportunities (Marcus Johansson, white courtesy phone).
Wideman is 28 and has 500 NHL games under his belt. Johansson is in his sophomore year and isn't having a poor season. Apples and oranges...

Old
02-14-2012, 06:36 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Mark Messier, worst leader ever...
Difference, Messier could lead by example, Wideman not so much. As you would say apples and oranges.

Old
02-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Difference, Messier could lead by example, Wideman not so much. As you would say apples and oranges.
So it isn't the glaring you have the issue with, it is the lack of leading by example? Why didn't you just say that to begin with because you used the glaring as your example of poor leadership when apparently glaring in and of itself can be fine...

Old
02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
So it isn't the glaring you have the issue with, it is the lack of leading by example? Why didn't you just say that to begin with because you used the glaring as your example of poor leadership when apparently glaring in and of itself can be fine...
Right now I'm glaring at you through my computer!

Old
02-14-2012, 06:56 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Actually my position is that Wideman in no way should be glaring at his team mates. I don't care that he made the All Stars, his play has not been that stellar that his **** doesn't stink. You gonna stare you better be able to back it up with your play. I cited other examples of where I thought his play was weak last night, i.e. corner play, not being physical etc..

Old
02-14-2012, 07:00 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Wideman is 28 and has 500 NHL games under his belt. Johansson is in his sophomore year and isn't having a poor season. Apples and oranges...
except my point still holds. at 28, Wideman should know how to seize his opportunity and he has, which is more than we can say for a lot of our guys.

I think MoJo hasn't done enough with his opportunity personally. Your points about his age and experience are well taken, but nevertheless, he has a had a chance to step into a dream job and he hasn't seized it as well as I would hope. He's not had a poor season -- i agree -- but he's not elevated his game when the opportunity presented either.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I cited other examples of where I thought his play was weak last night, i.e. corner play, not being physical etc..
But that is Wideman. Are you under the impression that Wideman is a physical, rock in the corners kind of player or something?

I don't care how well he is playing or how much leadership he is showing he is never going to bring those aspects that you are complaining about above to the rink.

Old
02-14-2012, 07:14 PM
KevinM

vCash: 50
So we should get rid of Wideman, the player with the 3rd most points on the team (2nd most amongst not dead players) because he looked at Johansson funny after he skated directly into his back trying to gain the zone.

Last edited by Langway: 02-14-2012 at 07:28 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:01 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
So we should get rid of Wideman, the player with the 3rd most points on the team (2nd most amongst not dead players) because he looked at Johansson funny after he skated directly into his back trying to gain the zone.
No, get rid of him because he's a turn over machine, makes bad passes, has trouble carrying the puck out of the defensive end of the ice, plays poorly in the defensive end of the ice, not strong defensively and yeah for acting like a prima donna.

Old
02-14-2012, 08:08 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

No, get rid of him because his value at the deadline will be huge, and he has no spot in the lineup next year at the salary he'll demand.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:17 PM
KevinM

vCash: 50
Quote:
No, get rid of him because he's a turn over machine, makes bad passes, has trouble carrying the puck out of the defensive end of the ice, plays poorly in the defensive end of the ice, not strong defensively and yeah for acting like a prima donna.
You just described every d-man on this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
No, get rid of him because his value at the deadline will be huge, and he has no spot in the lineup next year at the salary he'll demand.
This is acceptable.

KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:20 PM
txpd

Quote:
are you from now on against acquiring an impact rental at the deadline for the stretch run and playoffs?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And let's not try to marginalize what he's done with the ice time he's been given. Let's not pretend that simply giving him Green's icetime is the reason he's an allstar. The player has excelled in an expanded role. And what...because he was traded out of Boston he's what in your eyes, an average player? I guess Gretzky was nothing special...hell he was traded.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:27 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
History shows he's likely to get a large amount of #1 icetime...just sayin.

#getwell52

Old
02-14-2012, 08:35 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Wait are we describing Wideman or Carlson? Carlson leads the NHL in giveaways....

Old
02-14-2012, 08:39 PM
IafrateOvie34

There is a reason boston traded Wideman to Florida for Seidenberg. He was a major reason the Bruins blew the series against Philadelphia in 2010. Get trade deadline value for him now. He is going to fetch a nice price.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
There is a reason boston traded Wideman to Florida for Seidenberg. He was a major reason the Bruins blew the series against Philadelphia in 2010. Get trade deadline value for him now. He is going to fetch a nice price.
Did you see the return Boston got for Wideman? Not like he was a castoff. It was Horton and Campbell.

I can't wait until Green's next injury (sans Wideman) and the guy who leads the NHL in giveaways now has to pick up the 11th most icetime in the league. Should be a joy to watch next season.

Old
02-14-2012, 08:48 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Did you see the return Boston got for Wideman? Not like he was a castoff. It was Horton and Campbell.

I can't wait until Green's next injury (sans Wideman) and the guy who leads the NHL in giveaways now has to pick up the 11th most icetime in the league. Should be a joy to watch next season.
So you want to resign Wideman for 4.6 for four years?

Old
02-14-2012, 08:49 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'd still rather keep Wideman at deadline unless you're blow away. And I don't mean first.

My primary goal would be to sign wides, see green healthy, and trade green for a much better killing in offseason. And if green proves unhealthy, you have wides.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:50 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
I'd do it. Prefer lower but I'd do up to about that.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's a perfectly fine price to me for a #2 D who can play top pair at an allstar level.

I'm looking at the big picture and it is this:

1. McPhee's best D acquisition via trade was Wideman by far and it took him 14 years to pull off.

2. This team can't rely on Green to play a full season.

I'm all for trading Wideman if we have a capable replacement, but we don't and we've not shown the ability to get that guy but once in 14 years.