HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Petro's game against the Sharks

Old
02-13-2012, 08:34 PM
PavelDatsyuk

vCash: 790
Petro's game against the Sharks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0dT1nWoOrw

From the main board, thought I should also share with you guys. You guys have a real special talent in St. Louis.

Sorry don't know how to embed, also kinda crappy quality video.

A little ~6 minute isolation of Pietrangelo last night. He was on the ice for only a total of 4-5 shots against, which is astonishing given his 26 minutes of ice time and almost 5 of that being on the PK.

He just doesn't allow the Sharks any sort of easy entry into the zone and shows incredible poise with the puck in the defensive end under pressure. He makes smart decisions with the puck allowing for easy transition out of the defensive zone and through the neutral zone.

The few shots against that he's on the ice for, he clears the rebound very cleanly, often, again, transitioning it out of the zone.

Most impressive was arguably his PK play itself, the Sharks just had no opportunity to even enter the zone, let alone set up a powerplay while he was on the ice.

There was about another ~5-6 minutes of him making simple, smart reverses or passes either in the defensive end or while QBing the powerplay that was left out for redundancy. He did make one minor mistake on the cycle early in the game that resulted in a scrambled possession, but other than that, an impressively mistake-free game.

PavelDatsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Burynai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelDatsyuk View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0dT1nWoOrw

From the main board, thought I should also share with you guys. You guys have a real special talent in St. Louis.

Sorry don't know how to embed, also kinda crappy quality video.

A little ~6 minute isolation of Pietrangelo last night. He was on the ice for only a total of 4-5 shots against, which is astonishing given his 26 minutes of ice time and almost 5 of that being on the PK.

He just doesn't allow the Sharks any sort of easy entry into the zone and shows incredible poise with the puck in the defensive end under pressure. He makes smart decisions with the puck allowing for easy transition out of the defensive zone and through the neutral zone.

The few shots against that he's on the ice for, he clears the rebound very cleanly, often, again, transitioning it out of the zone.

Most impressive was arguably his PK play itself, the Sharks just had no opportunity to even enter the zone, let alone set up a powerplay while he was on the ice.

There was about another ~5-6 minutes of him making simple, smart reverses or passes either in the defensive end or while QBing the powerplay that was left out for redundancy. He did make one minor mistake on the cycle early in the game that resulted in a scrambled possession, but other than that, an impressively mistake-free game.
nice vid, thx for posting.

Burynai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
A couple years ago when he was sent back down after playing a handful of games, I honestly thought he was a bust. He looked tentative and weak. I have to admit, I am not wrong very often about players, but this time I was WAY wrong. I didn't necessarily write him off, I just didn't think he would be a star. Thanks Petro for proving me wrong. Now for Stewart.........

Last edited by Mike Liut: 02-13-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Mike Liut

Sounds like your smoke detectors are chirping in the video. They need the 9 volt battery replaced.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:28 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Sounds like your smoke detectors are chirping in the video. They need the 9 volt battery replaced.
haha. I thought that was in my house. Thanks for saving me the money on a battery.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:42 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Thank you very, very much PavelDatsyuk. I literally couldn't believe what I was watching last night. Like I said elsewhere, I will remember this game a long, long time and it has nothing to do with the points.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:46 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The chirping sounds are him obviously clicking to start and stop the video cuts. I am so grateful for this vid. Like he says in the comments, there are another 5-6 minutes of Petro just doing the routine, simple, smart passes/reverses. There came a point by the third period last night where I was just watching that game in awe.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Blues0307

Good thread. Last night's game is the most impressed I've been by a Blues defenseman in years...he was outstanding in every facet. I'm literally in awe game after game watching this kid. His poise is remarkable and his instincts are off the charts. The thing I love about him is he's outstanding in every zone. The term special is used far too often with professional athletes...but it applies to Petro.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:53 AM
SteenMachine

I've said it before, but it deserves to be said again. The guy simply thinks the game in an elite capacity. He knows exactly what he's trying to accomplish at all times and has enough confidence and skill to do it with seemingly little effort. He has such a clairvoyant concept of his role on the ice and how to manage it with such a great deal of efficiency it's extremely rare that fatigue or over extending himself results in a consequence he isn't prepared to counter or adapt to. It's really rewarding to watch a guy capable of controlling a game like that with our without the puck. It makes you appreciate the little things defense first players or guys who have to use their head instead of their body to be competitive bring to a team.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:10 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

"Hockey IQ" or "hockey sense" is just another way of placing a phrase to try and rate a player on their ability to think the game. Elite hockey sense is what separates people at the NHL level. You're already talking about world class athletes, conditioned and skilled enough to have made the show so the margins get really narrow at that level between good and great. Hockey sense as a term has gained in popularity because there needed to be a way to talk about this intangible and uncanny ability the greatest players have for seeing things develop before they do.

It isn't the only thing great players have. With David Perron, for instance, I get the feeling that his hockey sense is a bit above average but his elite stickhandling skillset is what sets him apart. TJ Oshie has tremendous hockey sense. Steen's is very high. Shattenkirk has it, not quite to Petro's prodigy level but it's very high. EJ is not here any more because he had and has elite physical tools but not the hockey sense. At lower levels the elite physical tools are enough to overwhelm the competition but the hockey sense holds you back at the top level.

This is also why I hate putting Jaden Schwartz in trade threads. He will probably have the most hockey sense of any Blues forward when he's on the roster, even Oshie.

Tarasenko is somewhere around Oshie or just a tad less as far as that goes. Equal offensively but Oshie edges him defensively on that count. His physical tools are better than Oshie's, though. They're like Perron's with more force and power.

Old
02-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Blueshockey21

That is the biggest difference from EJ and Petro, while maybe more of a physical specimen EJ has the hockey sense of a 4 year old and Petro has the hockey sense of a god

Blueshockey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:30 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
lol i also thought it was at my house. i was thinking "dang, i just replaced those stupid things"

im glad you noticed because i would have probably gone to the store to buy some more batteries

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:53 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
A couple years ago when he was sent back down after playing a handful of games, I honestly thought he was a bust. He looked tentative and weak. I have to admit, I am not wrong very often about players, but this time I was WAY wrong. I didn't necessarily write him off, I just didn't think he would be a star. Thanks Petro for proving me wrong. Now for Stewart.........
I agree with you 100%. I remember not being impressed by him and was even willing to deal him at one of the drafts (I think 2009 maybe). I think there was a Pietrangelo-Kessel rumor.

Well, thank God we didn't do that. Ever since last season he's blown me away. Pietrangelo already is a star and in the future will be the best defenseman in the league IMO. So pumped we have him on our team.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote