HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Crombeen vs. Porter

Old
02-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
Crombeen vs. Porter

I keep watching Porter and wondering why he has been benched for Crombeen.

I like BJ, but he isn't physical (fights, but never really thoughs body checks) and he lacks Porter's offense. When playing on the 3rd line CP tends to produce. When playing on the 4th, he tends to blow up dmen.

I think BJ may be better in the dzone, but really, not as strong on the forecheck and he isn't near a quick.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:59 AM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

vCash: 50
I have always liked Porter... he has room for improvement and needs time to work out some of his issues. He makes a few bad passes on occassion, but overall, I am pleased with his performance... definitely over Crombeen's lately.

BigB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:01 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Crombeen was pretty bad last year. He's been meh at best this year. He's just a guy. Decent on PK. He fights, but he loses those fights, and fights are one of the more overrated aspects of contributing to a team winning (provided the roster itself stands up for each other) than anything I can think of.

Hitchcock really likes Porter, thinks he's been well-coached, etc. For the time being they need both to fill out a roster so it's not one versus the other.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

I would play both Reaves and Porter ahead of Crombeen

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Linus

vCash: 526
Crombeen used to be a big part of the PK, but he hasn't spent one second on the PK with Hitchcock as the coach. Porter has had eight minutes of SH time, which isn't much and only works out to be on average 17 seconds per game, but he's still used more than Crombeen. I thought that Hitchcock was just letting Crombeen get up to speed after his injury, but it seems that he prefers to just use other players. I don't mind having Crombeen in when there's injuries, but if we had a healthy roster I'd like to see Porter in over Crombeen.

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:11 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

No doubt Porter has taken a big step forward this season. However, with a fully healthy roster I don't think either guy is in the line-up.

(in no particular order)
McDonald-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Stewart
Langenbrunner-Arnott-Steen
D'Agostini-Sobotka-?

Room for one more. Do you go with Porter I guess? His offensive instincts and consistency make him a better partner for those two. You can make a strong case for Reaves, too, though.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
No doubt Porter has taken a big step forward this season. However, with a fully healthy roster I don't think either guy is in the line-up.

(in no particular order)
McDonald-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Stewart
D'Agostini-Sobotka-?

Room for one more. Do you go with Porter I guess? His offensive instincts and consistency make him a better partner for those two. You can make a strong case for Reaves, too, though.

Swap Steen and Stewart

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:49 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

The one argument that I can make for Steen being on the 3rd line is that he can make that line score and he will get his minutes on the PP and PK. I also don't like Perron with Berglund and Stewart. I think Perron has to play with Backes and Oshie or with some combination of McDonald, Berglund, and Steen. If Stewart doesn't build on what he did last game, then he goes back to the 3rd.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:54 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Swap Steen and Stewart
I was just illustrating a point about Porter vs Crombeen. They're probably BOTH out of the line-up if the Blues' roster gets healthy.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
I was just illustrating a point about Porter vs Crombeen. They're probably BOTH out of the line-up if the Blues' roster gets healthy.

I hope we get to a point where that happens. It seems when one comes back, another goes out.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:09 PM
BlueDream

Yeah, I'm convinced we'll never have a fully healthy roster so it really doesn't even matter. For now though Porter does deserve to stay in the lineup for a while. He's played great in his last 4 games, registering points in each.

When McDonald and Arnott return I'd like to see:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Stewart
Sobotka-Arnott-Langenbrunner
Porter-Nichol-Reaves

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:11 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Fully healthy (IMO):

Steen-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Perron
Langenbrunner-Arnott-Stewart
Porter-Sobotka-D'Agostini
Reaves, Crombeen

Hitch says he likes Perron on the right. D'Agostini too, though he and Langenbrunner are interchangeable. Crombeen definitely sits, Reaves gets in there occasionally.

Steen & McDonald could also switch, but listed this way given the chemistry the Steen-Backes-Oshie line has had. McDonald and Perron would be enough playmaking on a line with Berglund. Until Stewart shows ANYTHING different he doesn't see the top two lines when the team is fully healthy.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Yeah, I'm convinced we'll never have a fully healthy roster so it really doesn't even matter. For now though Porter does deserve to stay in the lineup for a while. He's played great in his last 4 games, registering points in each.

When McDonald and Arnott return I'd like to see:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
Sobotka-Arnott-Langenbrunner
Porter-Nichol-Reaves

I like that one too w/o Steen.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:16 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:

(in no particular order)
McDonald-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Stewart
D'Agostini-Sobotka-?

Don't forget about Nichol either.

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:17 PM
BigTeddyPaul

vCash: 872
I think it was about two years ago when Crombeen was getting over 20 minutes of ice a game sometimes to lead (or come really close) the team in forward ice time.

...dark days I tell ya...

I agree with what everyone else has pretty much said. Everything he does is meh. He doesn't hit like he needs to to earn a spot. He doesn't score or create scoring opportunities like he needs to to earn a spot. He doesn't fight as much as he needs to to earn a spot, and when he does...he almost always looks outclassed.

To me he just seems to have either lost a step in whatever direction he was going or just lost the fire that used to drive him to being a decent bottom six player.

BigTeddyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:19 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Crap, forgot Nichol. I guess Sobotka-Nichol-D'Ags, and I'd trade Crombeen. (Obviously they're going to be fully healthy by the deadline so this will happen.)

When just McDonald and Perron are back:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
Porter-Arnott-Langenbrunner
Sobotka-Nichol-Porter
Reaves, Crombeen

It's also too bad Huskins isn't fully healthy. Tonight would be a good excuse to get him into the lineup in Russell's spot for a couple games. Good to see Cole at any rate.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:23 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Argh, not Porter twice. Let me retry:

When McDonald and Arnott are back (hopefully in Columbus Tuesday or home against the Isles Thursday):

Perron-Backes-Oshie
Porter-Arnott-Langenbrunner
Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves
Crombeen

Steen, D'Agostini on IR.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:40 PM
STL fan in IA

I've been fine with Crombeen over the years and still think he's a good 4th liner but he's certainly expendable and I'd be completely fine with seeing Porter in the lineup over him. Porter also makes $400k less than Beener so that's a factor too for a team on a fairly tight budget. Crombeen likely isn't worth much at all on the market but if Army can find a deal that helps the team with Crombeen going the other way (likely would have to be a deal where Beener is just a part of the deal), then I'd be absolutely fine with it.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:22 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Crombeen was pretty bad last year. He's been meh at best this year. He's just a guy. Decent on PK. He fights, but he loses those fights, and fights are one of the more overrated aspects of contributing to a team winning (provided the roster itself stands up for each other) than anything I can think of.

Hitchcock really likes Porter, thinks he's been well-coached, etc. For the time being they need both to fill out a roster so it's not one versus the other.
That is wrong. He wins a lot more fights then he loses. You can go to HockeyFights and clearly see that he is a decent middleweight fighter.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:29 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
That is wrong. He wins a lot more fights then he loses. You can go to HockeyFights and clearly see that he is a decent middleweight fighter.
Won't go look it up, I'll take your word for it. Gotta say though, I have a hard time remembering him winning any fights. Not that fights matter much.

Old
02-11-2012, 06:32 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Won't go look it up, I'll take your word for it. Gotta say though, I have a hard time remembering him winning any fights. Not that fights matter much.
Crombeen is 4-0 this season in fights. Last season he was 11-2-4.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:39 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Armstrong should mention that when he tries to trade him.

Old
02-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

If this lineup is fully healthy, Alex Steen is not on the top line IMO. McDonald is a better player and he had plenty of chemistry with Backes as well. Plus spreads out the 2 way players better if they are not all on the same line.

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Crombeen is 4-0 this season in fights. Last season he was 11-2-4.

He won the fight the other night ?

Old
02-12-2012, 12:47 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTeddyPaul;43972951[B
]I think it was about two years ago when Crombeen was getting over 20 minutes of ice a game sometimes to lead (or come really close) the team in forward ice time.[/B]

...dark days I tell ya...

I certainly don't remember Crombeen ever getting over 20 minutes of ice time.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote