Notices

Official 2012/2013 Providence Bruins Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2012, 10:52 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

vCash: 500
Sauve needs to stop fighting. He's not very good at it and seeing as he gets hurt if he sneezes wrong.....if he's gonna be a goal scorer, he can't be breaking his hand. I agree with the Horton comparison as far as scrap, but punching.....no no no.

I'm trying to remember how many different injuries he's had....wrist, concussion, now hip.....maybe had a hand issue in there too?

Old
03-21-2012, 12:20 PM
brewins09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked P View Post
he plays with an edge. Very scrappy player, goes hard to the puck and plays to the whistle. I'd compare him to Nathan Horton, less a few pounds. He is my favorite player to watch, and glad to hear he will be back.

Perhaps he will need to learn to turn it down a notch so he doesn't get injured. first game back from the concussion he had a roughing penalty which if the refs let it go would have been a 5 min major. He had been in 1 or 2 fights since being back.
As far as I know he hasn't had any "fights" just pushing and stuff after the whistle.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:32 AM
Alan Ryan

Injury news from the Providence Journal:

Zach Hamill of the Providence Bruins will miss the weekend with an upper-body injury, coach Butch Cassidy said this morning.

Andrew Bodnarchuk (back) also did not practice today. Neither did Max Sauve, who may have reaggravated his hip pointer.

Providence Bruins goalie Anton Khudobin says that his injured left wrist is feeling much better, and that there is a "good chance” he will be ready for game action by this weekend.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:45 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewins09 View Post
As far as I know he hasn't had any "fights" just pushing and stuff after the whistle.
he had a semi-fight in Manchester (I know I was sitting about 15 feet away) at the end of the game after getting cheap shotted by Campbell

My take on Sauve is he is not a fighter and would get killed going up against anyone with skills in it; but competes hard, has above average NHL skills, and needs to stay on the ice. The past two years have cost him about a year or certainly reduced his development.

I would not give up on him at all, but he's got to be managed, put in the best situation to stay healthy, and come to Camp next year ready.

If you told me tomorrow I could take over his talent and age I'd expect to play 10 years in the NHL and do quite well- he's got that much skill and the NHL size and speed

Old
03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
ironranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Solid numbers, I personally know little about him/the game he plays but let`s hope some of those NCAA totals can translate into something solid in the Pro`s.

Is he finished with College now (sorry didn`t read the article)
I have been watching Florek play here at NMU for the past four years and I think he will do very well in the AHL and hopefully in the NHL as well. He is a big guy who isn't afraid to throw his weight around, but he has gotten better at not taking dumb penalties. This year he has gotten a lot better at passing than he was before and he was one of NMU's best penalty killers as well. I talked with one of his teamates here at NMU yesterday and he said that Florek was probably going to be signing and gone by the weekend.

Hopefully he will work out well for you guys and now I have a reason to watch the P. Bruins.

Old
03-22-2012, 05:13 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Injury news from the Providence Journal:

Zach Hamill of the Providence Bruins will miss the weekend with an upper-body injury, coach Butch Cassidy said this morning.

Andrew Bodnarchuk (back) also did not practice today. Neither did Max Sauve, who may have reaggravated his hip pointer.

Providence Bruins goalie Anton Khudobin says that his injured left wrist is feeling much better, and that there is a "good chance” he will be ready for game action by this weekend.
Are they still as beat up as they were? Is this just more injuries or have some of the boys come back yet?

Old
03-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Alan Ryan

Khudobin is ready to play. From the Providence Journal today:

Nearly a month after injuring his wrist during a game in Bridgeport, Anton Khudobin will be back in goal for the Providence Bruins on Friday night. Khudobin told coach Butch Cassidy after practice on Thursday morning that he was ready to go, and Cassidy said that Khudobin would get the start against Manchester.

Khudobin is expected to be recalled to Boston before the end of the Bruins’ regular-season schedule on April 7. With the status of Boston backup goalieTuukka Rask for the playoffs uncertain as he recovers from an abdomen/groin strain and with the recently signed Marty Turco not eligible to play in the postseason, Khudobin is the next goalie in line for the Bruins. “I do believe at some point they’ll want him to play an NHL game in case they need him in the playoffs,” Cassidy said.

http://www.providencejournal.com/spo...2.154b4fb.html

Old
03-22-2012, 06:08 PM
icyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Khudobin is ready to play. From the Providence Journal today:

Nearly a month after injuring his wrist during a game in Bridgeport, Anton Khudobin will be back in goal for the Providence Bruins on Friday night. Khudobin told coach Butch Cassidy after practice on Thursday morning that he was ready to go, and Cassidy said that Khudobin would get the start against Manchester.

Khudobin is expected to be recalled to Boston before the end of the Bruins’ regular-season schedule on April 7. With the status of Boston backup goalieTuukka Rask for the playoffs uncertain as he recovers from an abdomen/groin strain and with the recently signed Marty Turco not eligible to play in the postseason, Khudobin is the next goalie in line for the Bruins. “I do believe at some point they’ll want him to play an NHL game in case they need him in the playoffs,” Cassidy said.

http://www.providencejournal.com/spo...2.154b4fb.html
Good to hear. Although, hopefully we don't actually need him to play in the playoffs...

Old
03-23-2012, 06:27 PM
RaskMullet
You Like No ?

khudobin playing tonight, already sounds like he made a few big saves , I expect him to be up on tuesday

Old
03-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Justin Florek has a goal and two assists so far in his first pro game. P-Bruins lead Manchester 3-1 in the second period.

Old
03-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Malt
#wpri12steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Justin Florek has a goal and two assists so far in his first pro game. P-Bruins lead Manchester 3-1 in the second period.
I'm not able to watch tonight's game, but this is good to hear. Florek could be a good player---great size and seems to have some good hands (at least from the few clips I've seen from him. Hope to watch the rest of the weekend games.

Old
03-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Alan Ryan

Khudobin is in net and has 17 saves on 18 shots.

Old
03-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Great start for Florek.

Here is a profile on him from Kirk (August 2011): http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot...27-justin.html

Old
03-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

And Florek scores again! 4-2 Providence.

Warsofsky scores an EN and the PBs win 5-2.

Last edited by Artemis: 03-23-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old
03-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Alan Ryan

Good P-Bruins win over Manchester (5-2) and a great start for rookie 5th round draft pick Justin Florek. He had 2 goals, 2 assists and was +4 with 4 shots.

Goals: Florek (2), Arniel, Cunningham & Warsofsky

Assists: Florek (2), Camper (2), Cunningham & Robins

Stars: #1-Florek, # 2-Khudobin & # 3-Cunningham

Goaltending: Khudobin had 29 saves on 31 shots

AHL game summary: http://theahl.com/stats/official-gam...ame_id=1009615

Old
03-23-2012, 10:49 PM
jetsjets1028

wow article not high on florek offensively but tonight pbruins debut 2 goals 2 assists go figure! pbruins 2 biggest games of year and win nicely in each 5-1 in game i saw vs spr make me 5-0 seeing them (4-0) vs spr thankfully had my yearly trip to the dunk see them at home finally get see great game

tomorrow in hartford will be tough pbruins 2 great games this week due for not so great blowout win.. connecticut smoked home tonight 1-2 last 3 home games as falocns smoked thme last sat and barely beat port in so sunday,, so i have feeling ct will be ready shouldv be close game but not sure pbruins have great chance at this 1

Old
03-23-2012, 11:28 PM
DKH

Sat 5 rows behind the P Bruins net for the first and third and didn't drink (at the game anyways) so I had pretty good focus

I'll get Florek out of the way....really impressive. He's big but not huge; just seemed to do everything right; for tonight either had a horse shoe up his ass or has quite a feel for the game because every shift he did something good- the puck was always near by. I know Joe Colborne is rated number 18 on the Hockey News prospect list but I've seen Colborne play plenty and Florek is faster, quicker, whatever- he gets there in a hurry; and is 'around' be it the net, the play, the action. Maybe he turns into a pumpkin tomorrow but tonight he deserved the first star.

Khudobin was fantastic. This guy is talented- I'd have zero problem with him playing net tomorrow in LA if he had to. He showed no signs of the wrist injury and we ran into him leaving and he joked when asked if he was headed to Boston, its a secret but he was pretty damn happy. Just watching him play net with the quickness and style was worth the trip.

And finally, Ryan Button. He was confident and making plays all over. I admit I was thinking he was fading away, and when I saw him in warmups I had no idea what I was about to see. That good. And you know how you get validation? When a bunch of prep school hockey players are sitting around you and talking about a wide variety of subjects from equipment, to the Bruins, the NCCA's, Florek, but throw in a 'that Button is having a heck of a game.' Best part was it was complete- he was strong in both zones. He plays like this he's got a strong chance to be in Boston some time next year

Old
03-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Sat 5 rows behind the P Bruins net for the first and third and didn't drink (at the game anyways) so I had pretty good focus

I'll get Florek out of the way....really impressive. He's big but not huge; just seemed to do everything right; for tonight either had a horse shoe up his ass or has quite a feel for the game because every shift he did something good- the puck was always near by. I know Joe Colborne is rated number 18 on the Hockey News prospect list but I've seen Colborne play plenty and Florek is faster, quicker, whatever- he gets there in a hurry; and is 'around' be it the net, the play, the action. Maybe he turns into a pumpkin tomorrow but tonight he deserved the first star.

Khudobin was fantastic. This guy is talented- I'd have zero problem with him playing net tomorrow in LA if he had to. He showed no signs of the wrist injury and we ran into him leaving and he joked when asked if he was headed to Boston, its a secret but he was pretty damn happy. Just watching him play net with the quickness and style was worth the trip.

And finally, Ryan Button. He was confident and making plays all over. I admit I was thinking he was fading away, and when I saw him in warmups I had no idea what I was about to see. That good. And you know how you get validation? When a bunch of prep school hockey players are sitting around you and talking about a wide variety of subjects from equipment, to the Bruins, the NCCA's, Florek, but throw in a 'that Button is having a heck of a game.' Best part was it was complete- he was strong in both zones. He plays like this he's got a strong chance to be in Boston some time next year
Thanks for the great report! Sounds like you had a good time. Great news about Khudobin. And I'm so glad to hear about Button. Confidence can make all the difference for young defensemen. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:53 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Florek kinda reminded me of Mikko Lehtonen, just as a first impression. I'll be honest, both goals he scored, the goaltender should have stopped. Arniel's was a rifle shot, best shot he's made all year.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Florek kinda reminded me of Mikko Lehtonen, just as a first impression. I'll be honest, both goals he scored, the goaltender should have stopped. Arniel's was a rifle shot, best shot he's made all year.
That is not a flattering comparison. I was hoping at least for a comparision to Wheeler, Colborne or Penner.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post

Thanks Dan!

Woo on Buttsy! I was starting to worry that he was a flash in the pan who'd impress in camp but fade away when it mattered..

Glad that Warsofsky is doing well.

How's Cohen?

I am Boston Strong

Old
03-24-2012, 12:56 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
That is not a flattering comparison. I was hoping at least for a comparision to Wheeler, Colborne or Penner.
My kid on the way home said the Lehtonen comparison also; however, Mikko could disappear, for this night there was no disappearance. Not a fan of Colborne, like Wheeler a lot.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Ratty

Lehtonen, BTW, is now playing for Severstal Cherepovets, same team as Maxim Chudinov. Lets hope Mikko doesn't feed Max any bad information about Providence and the AHL to discourage him from coming to TC.

Old
03-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Spoked P

Here are my game notes:

Obviously the line of Florek-Camper-Cunningham was on fire, with a combined 8 points and a +12! They played like they had been on the same line all year. Florek really gelled well. He was in the right spot each time. Gotta give credit to Camper as he was the real play maker last night, Florek benefitted with the goals. Camper worked it, spun to the slot, fired a shot, great individual effort, after the initial save Florek flipped the in at the doorstep. He kept the puck after scoring.

Later in the 3rd off a nuetral zone turnover Camper made a saucer pass to Florek, which he played perfectly. He skated with his head up while Camper came down for the two on one, Florek took the shot, didn't get much on it, but beat him 5 hole.

Those of you looking for a Tremblay update he took just two shifts. There was 13 forwards on the bench he was the odd man out. He replaced Jarrett Staal's spot.

Khudobin was great. He was quick, spralling to, saves in traffic. The first goal was a horrible giveaway by Mckelvie in the defensive zone right in the slot. Doby also had a breakaway save. I was impressed with his play. Like someone else mentioned, he didn't look injured at all.

Robins was short shifting. He didn't look right to me, and appeared to be playing through some pain. He still had the physical side to his game, but was not his usual self.

Closed Thread