Notices

Official 2012/2013 Providence Bruins Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2012, 10:49 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

vCash: 500
Definitely love Miller's play. He's physical, which is sorely lacking with this group.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:45 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Definitely love Miller's play. He's physical, which is sorely lacking with this group.
who is he, where did he come from??? Drafted?? NCAA signing?? I haven`t heard of him

Old
04-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
who is he, where did he come from??? Drafted?? NCAA signing?? I haven`t heard of him
Miller was signed to a 2 year ELC in October, 2011.

Kirk Luedeke wrote about Miller in a Bruins porspect review on the B's web site (http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=625521).

Undrafted free agent Kevan Miller was one defenseman who spent the whole season with Providence, finishing third in scoring among blue liners with two goals and 19 points in 58 games. The native Californian was a four-year starter at the University of Vermont, seeing six games in the AHL with Providence at the end of 2010-11 on an amateur tryout (ATO).

Here is his profile on canoe.ca:

Kevan Miller

Date of birth: November 15, 1987
Place of birth: Los Angeles, CA
Ht: 6-2 Wt: 210
Shoots: R

Old
04-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:

Does his play remind you of Boychuk? Anybody else?

Old
04-18-2012, 07:32 AM
BruinsPortugal

Miller looks like will turn out another Boychuk/Mcquaid. Love it.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:36 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Miller was signed to a 2 year ELC in October, 2011.

Kirk Luedeke wrote about Miller in a Bruins porspect review on the B's web site (http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=625521).

Undrafted free agent Kevan Miller was one defenseman who spent the whole season with Providence, finishing third in scoring among blue liners with two goals and 19 points in 58 games. The native Californian was a four-year starter at the University of Vermont, seeing six games in the AHL with Providence at the end of 2010-11 on an amateur tryout (ATO).

Here is his profile on canoe.ca:

Kevan Miller

Date of birth: November 15, 1987
Place of birth: Los Angeles, CA
Ht: 6-2 Wt: 210
Shoots: R
Thx Alan, completely in the dark on this guy

Old
04-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Spoked P

when he was healthy, i think Bartkowski is the best D-man we had this year. He is great on the PP. Has a tremendous shot, and a good skater.

Letting these two go, IMO our defense only gets worse.

Old
04-18-2012, 02:11 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Does his play remind you of Boychuk? Anybody else?
More McQuaid or Mark Stuart. Johnny Boychuk was a totally different player in Providence than he is in Boston.....more offensive minded. Miller is definitely a stay at home guy who won't put up points, but will take guys to the boards hard and drop the gloves if needed.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
More McQuaid or Mark Stuart. Johnny Boychuk was a totally different player in Providence than he is in Boston.....more offensive minded. Miller is definitely a stay at home guy who won't put up points, but will take guys to the boards hard and drop the gloves if needed.

Thanks GG. Can't go wrong having a Stuart/McQuaid type around. Miller should help the Providence defense a lot next season.

Do you think the Bruins will offer Bodnarchuk and Bartkowski new contracts?

Old
04-19-2012, 03:54 PM
ed bruin

So whats the deal with Staal? I didn't know AHL players can be loaned, how has he looked?

Old
04-19-2012, 03:59 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed bruin View Post
So whats the deal with Staal? I didn't know AHL players can be loaned, how has he looked?
Nothing to discuss......he was a healthy scratch down the stretch.

Old
04-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Spoked P

Providence Bruins are auctioning off their practice jersey's on their website. Auctions end on Monday the 30th.

i'd post a link but my browser doesnt like their website.

Old
04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
BruinFanSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked P View Post
Providence Bruins are auctioning off their practice jersey's on their website. Auctions end on Monday the 30th.

I dont think anyone likes thier website!

Old
04-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:

Link: http://www.providencebruins.com/FrontPage/Index

Old
04-26-2012, 01:05 PM
CapeShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Thx Alan, completely in the dark on this guy
Love the kid !!!! KMiller is a the B's diamond in the rough. an absolute truck of a body with balls as big as grapefruits. The prototype stay at home warrior. Reminds me a lot of boychuck or siedenberg. Strong, tough etc. His religous work ethic and approach will get him a well deserved turn in the show next year. He has size, strength, big balls, stands up to anyone and for his mates and is a perfect gentleman. Exceelent signing for the B's

Old
04-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeShamrock View Post
Love the kid !!!! KMiller is a the B's diamond in the rough. an absolute truck of a body with balls as big as grapefruits. The prototype stay at home warrior. Reminds me a lot of boychuck or siedenberg. Strong, tough etc. His religous work ethic and approach will get him a well deserved turn in the show next year. He has size, strength, big balls, stands up to anyone and for his mates and is a perfect gentleman. Exceelent signing for the B's
Besides his balls, what are his other dimensions?

Last edited by Ratty: 04-26-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: sp.
Old
04-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Besides his balls, what are his other dimensions?
See post #403 above.

Old
04-26-2012, 07:25 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeShamrock View Post
nice

Old
04-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Spoked P

Anybody interested in joining the Rhode Island Reds Heritage Society for 2012 dues are due by May 1st. Just $20.

http://www.rireds.org/

Old
05-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Spoked P

I really dislike the Providence jersey auction system. They use there own website. Most AHL teams including the AHL themselves use Ebay.

This past week, practice jerseys were auctioned off, and I lost on two. Not that big of a deal, didn't really have the $$$ to spend on them anyway. However, you can't see where they ended. Also the only way to see if you won, is if your credit card was charged, no e-mail, no call, etc.

The memobilia store in Newport, Your Sports Memorbilia Store probably won them all. I am sure they will have them in their store for double what they paid for them. They are holding a ton of Providence jerseys hostage.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
The memobilia store in Newport, Your Sports Memorbilia Store probably won them all. I am sure they will have them in their store for double what they paid for them. They are holding a ton of Providence jerseys hostage.
Amazed they are still in business with the high prices they charge. They've had that same Tuukka Rask P-Bruins 1-game wonder on eBay for a grand (and nobody's going to buy it) for over a year now.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
I really dislike the Providence jersey auction system. They use there own website. Most AHL teams including the AHL themselves use Ebay.

This past week, practice jerseys were auctioned off, and I lost on two. Not that big of a deal, didn't really have the $$$ to spend on them anyway. However, you can't see where they ended. Also the only way to see if you won, is if your credit card was charged, no e-mail, no call, etc.

I see people all the time with auction jerseys, and several I know personally. You're making a huge assumption. Let whomever wants to charge as much as they want, no one will buy it.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Spoked P

Quote:
I see people all the time with auction jerseys, and several I know personally. You're making a huge assumption. Let whomever wants to charge as much as they want, no one will buy it.
oh I agree, they have the right to ask for whatever they want. just looking to rant somwhere I guess...really not that upset.

A bit bummed they did not auction off the any game worn jerseys this year. The home gold, and the alternates both were not auctioned. The whites were given away as usual at the end of the season. They also did not have a Reds night, or wear alternate green jerseys during the weekend of St. Patrick's day.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Spoked P

Quote:

well, looks like I did win a jersey. My credit card was charged on the 8th. that's 8 days after the auction ended. I think i won a Bobby Robins or a Craig Cunningham.

Old
05-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Malt
#wpri12steve

PROVIDENCE BRUINS 2011-2012 SEASON REVIEW PART 1

For the third year in a row, the Providence Bruins failed to qualify for the playoffs, posting a 35-34-3-4 record for 77 points (the Eastern Conference’s 8th seed, Manchester, finished with 83 points).

The team continued to allow more goals than they scored (193 GF/214GA), a trend that should come to a halt next season (more on that in part 2).

(It should be noted that Providence appeared to be on their way to a playoff spot before injuries throughout the organization killed any chance they had.)

A look at the key players:

Stats are games played-goals scored-assists-total points)

FORWARDS

-Carter Camper (69-18-30-48): The team’s leading point getter was signed by the organization as an undrafted free agent out of Miami University. His consistent play earned him a brief call up to Boston, where he scored his first NHL goal. Although undersized, Camper showed his skating ability may have been underrated, as he showed no problems keeping up the speedy Maxime Sauve and Craig Cunningham while centering that line late in the season. He’ll continue to improve in Providence next year.

-Josh Hennessy (69-19-22-41): Brought in as an elite player at the AHL level, the Brockton, MA native wasn’t a dominant force on the ice, but still demonstrated leadership, especially when team captain Trent Whitfield was injured early in the year. A UFA, he’ll likely be looking to hook up with another organization come July 1st IMHO.

-Craig Cunnigham (76-20-16-36): Providence’s leading goal scorer struggled for the first 2 months of season while playing third and fourth line minutes, but Cunningham found his game after being moved to a wing position. Although listed as being 5’8”, he seems to be rock-solid on his skates and was the only player in Providence to compete in all 76 games. Provided that he continues to play on one of the top two lines, a 28-30 goal season for his sophomore year seems likely.

-Kirk MacDonald (73-10-23-33): After a strong start to the year, Kirk struggled throughout November and December, managing only 3 points. However, he picked his game up towards the end of the year and ended up with 33 points, a dip from his 38 the year before. MacDonald is an AHL/ECHL vet and is physically stronger than many of his linemates, so it wouldn’t be unreasonable for the team to sign him up for another year. (MacDonald has overcome a lot during his career, be sure to research his story when he have time).

-Jamie Tardif (57-15-15-30): Tardif battled injured throughout the year, limiting his effectiveness somewhat, but he plays a physical game and can be an effective second or third liner at this level. Another nice aspect of his game—he’s a willing and capable fighter. Tardif has another year on his contract, if he’s able to stay healthy. I’d like to see him get into the 40-45 point range (as he did in the past with Grand Rapids)

-Calle Ridderwall (68-8-20-68) and Kyle MacKinnon (67-14-7-21) both played inconsistently during their first year as pros, but that’s not unusual for many players coming out of college. MacKinnon seems to have better overall skills, but Ridderwall is better defensively. Unknown if either player will be back next year.

-Maxime Sauve (39-11-15-26): The most frustrating player to discuss in the Bruins organization is this skilled, speedy, tall (but skinny) Frenchman who has the more ability than any other forward on the team, yet is so brittle and injury-prone that it’s tough for anyone to have much to say about him. Sauve earned his first call up to Boston and was injured in his first couple shifts in a game against Pittsburgh. This is be a key year for Sauve…he needs to stay 100% healthy, There should be a good amount of skilled players for him to work with, but will he even be on the ice?

-Jamie Arniel (74-7-17-24): Arniel suffered through an abysmal year, putting the puck in the back of the net only 7 times and finding himself dropped to third and fourth line duty at times, especially when new talent such as Ryan Spooner and Justin Florek arrived late in the year. Blessed with great speed but unable to put himself in quality scoring chances, the only positive note to the season is the fact that he scored 8 shoot out goals, most in the league. He’s a RFA come July 1st.

-Zach Hamill (41-8-13-21): The saga of young Mr. Hamill has been discussed elsewhere on these boards, and we wish him nothing but good luck in Washington/Hershey.

-Trent Whitfield (50-9-7-16): Whitfield suffered an injury early in the year and was largely ineffective upon his return, mostly being able to score a few dirty goals from in front of the net. A good leader on an underwhelming team, he should be looked upon for that quality next year but may not have much left in the tank given his age and recent history of injuries.

-Lane MacDermid (69-14-12-16): The young pugilist was unable to have a breakout season in terms of points (he had 7-12-19 in 2010-11), but he remains a unique player for the organization in terms of his size, skating ability and toughness. Assuming he’ll be resigned, the RFA will likely challenge for the 13th forward spot in camp, but another year in the AHL. More of a light-heavyweight than a straight-out goon, MacDermid should have a future as a 4th line energy guy a penalty killer who will be able to win his fair share of scraps in the NHL.

The rest: Jordan Caron suited up for 17 games for Providence, but his AHL days are likely over. His future is in Boston…Entertaining but reckless Bobby Robbins is a pure energy player who hits, fights and often takes unnecessary penalties. He has some skill but is better off at the ECHL level…Jared Staal contributed little after being loaned to Providence late in the year…Yannick Riendeau has proven himself to be an ECHL+ player at best and was traded to the Islanders at the trade deadline…Stafan Chaput had a 3 goal weekend at the end of October but was injured a few days later and did not play for the rest of the year…Justin Florek made an immediate impact upon signing an entry-level contract, scoring 2 goals and adding 2 assists in his first game. His skating needs a little work, but his blend of size and smarts will carry him a long way, IMHO…Ryan Spooner wasn’t 100% healthy for his 5 game run at the end of the year, but that didn’t stop him from posting 1-3-4 totals. A player to watch out for next, year, for sure (more on him for part 2 of this report)…Tyler Randell is tough-as-nails with the gloves off but wasn’t ready for the pace of the AHL, as he was sent back to the Rangers of the OHL to finish out the year. It’ll be interesting to see how he’s used in Providence next year…Nick Tremblay played 4 games at the end of the year and put up 2 points. The under-the-radar draft pick from 2008 should be back in the fall, although the type of contract he’ll be offered is unknown right now…Vet Chris Clark played 6 games for Providence but was unable to put up any points and has not played professionally since then.

COMING SOON: Defense, goaltending, looking forward to next year…

#RealMalt

Last edited by Malt: 05-28-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Closed Thread