Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Official 2012/2013 Providence Bruins Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Alan Ryan

vCash: 500
Thanks so much Malt. I really appreciate your reviews and analysis. Look forward to reading about the defense and goaltending.

Just last night I was thinking about the P-Bruins line-up for next season. Lots of change coming, hopefully for the good, and I believe they will have a good team.

Here is a first cut at the roster, with the caveat that much can change before the season.

Forwards

Bourque - Camper - Tardif

Sauve - Spooner - Knight

Cunningham - Whitfield - Randell

MacDermid - Arniel - MacDonald

Defense

Bartkowski - Miller

Krug - Trotman

Button - Warsofsky

Cross - Bodnarchuk

Goal

Khudobin - Svedberg

They have more players under contract than can fit on the roster. Lots of questions on players like Cohen, Florek, Goulet, Hutchinson, Ridderwall, etc.

What does everyone think about the team for 2012?

Old
05-27-2012, 09:48 PM
xPumpedxByxLucicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Thanks so much Malt. I really appreciate your reviews and analysis. Look forward to reading about the defense and goaltending.

Just last night I was thinking about the P-Bruins line-up for next season. Lots of change coming, hopefully for the good, and I believe they will have a good team.

Here is a first cut at the roster, with the caveat that much can change before the season.

Forwards

Sauve - Spooner - Knight

Defense

Bartkowski - Miller

Krug - Trotman

Button - Warsofsky

Cross - Bodnarchuk

Goal

Khudobin - Svedberg

They have more players under contract than can fit on the roster. Lots of questions on players like Cohen, Florek, Goulet, Hutchinson, Ridderwall, etc.

Wow.. P b's could be looking at a playoff run this year.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Malt
#wpri12steve

Quote:

Forwards

Sauve - Spooner - Knight

Defense

Bartkowski - Miller

Krug - Trotman

Button - Warsofsky

Cross - Bodnarchuk

Goal

Khudobin - Svedberg

Thanks for the kind words. While it's anyone's guess as to what the actual lineup will be, you certainly have to consider that players under contract--i.e. Florek and Cohen will defintely be in the mix. That means there is an uncertainty when it comes to RFAs such as Arniel and Bartkowski.

As far as the forwards go, can they possibly go wrong with Bourque, Camper, possibly Spooner and Knight and an upstart like Cunningham? Remember, a lot of us--including me--thought the team was going to be a force with Colborne, Hamill and Alexandrov playing together a couple seasons ago.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:59 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:

Forwards

Sauve - Spooner - Knight

Defense

Bartkowski - Miller

Krug - Trotman

Button - Warsofsky

Cross - Bodnarchuk

Goal

Khudobin - Svedberg

The difference between forwards from this year is night and day. Should actually be able to score some goals.

Old
05-27-2012, 11:05 PM
roguepatriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
PROVIDENCE BRUINS 2011-2012 SEASON REVIEW PART 1

#RealMalt
Thanks for the info MALT. Hopefully expectations for next year in part2 will be a lot more positive

Old
05-28-2012, 08:21 AM
C77

Nice write-up Malt, I hope MacDermid is on the big B's next year.

Old
05-28-2012, 11:37 AM
DaaaaB's

Thanks for review Malt, I enjoyed reading it.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:59 PM
kman22

Quote:

Forwards

Sauve - Spooner - Knight

Defense

Bartkowski - Miller

Krug - Trotman

Button - Warsofsky

Cross - Bodnarchuk

Goal

Khudobin - Svedberg

I'm hoping to see Florek and Glendening added to the forwards group, even more so because I think someone from the group above makes the big club. But either way, Providence should be much improved,

Old
05-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Bri

Quote:

SNIP

Defense

Bartkowski - Miller

Krug - Trotman

Button - Warsofsky

Cross - Bodnarchuk

Goal

Khudobin - Svedberg

Would love to see this pair! The steady, smart Trotman with the speedy Krug. Could be a dynamic pair!

Old
05-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Nice job Malt

Old
05-29-2012, 08:17 PM
ODAAT

Do they have the right coach to develop what could be a very skilled yet young lineup???

Old
05-29-2012, 08:37 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Do they have the right coach to develop what could be a very skilled yet young lineup???
That's a big N-O

Old
05-29-2012, 08:42 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post
That's a big N-O
And that's a big issue for me, so important to have a solid teacher in the system at that level

Old
05-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Mione134

Quote:
And that's a big issue for me, so important to have a solid teacher in the system at that level
Agreed. The B's new a new pp coach, the PB's need a new everything.

Old
05-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPumpedxByxLucicx View Post
Wow.. P b's could be looking at a playoff run this year.
How many looks good on paper can we come up with?

1) Looks good on paper.

Old
05-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Get the guy that left to go to the NYI back in here.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:42 AM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Chargers View Post
How many looks good on paper can we come up with?

1) Looks good on paper.

I've thought that they've looked great on paper the past 3 seasons

Old
05-30-2012, 12:45 AM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Chargers View Post
Get the guy that left to go to the NYI back in here.
I'd take Gordon back in a heartbeat.

Problem is, he's an assistant coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs now.

There's gotta be another diamond-in-the-rough ala Lavvy, Sully, or Gordon out there somewhere ...

Old
05-30-2012, 06:22 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I'd take Gordon back in a heartbeat.

Problem is, he's an assistant coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs now.

There's gotta be another diamond-in-the-rough ala Lavvy, Sully, or Gordon out there somewhere ...
And is being an Assistant with the Leafs better than a Head Job in Providence????? I`d be inclined to say a better gig for Gordon within MLSE would be with the Marlies as they are the only team in the MLSE franchise who actually makes playoff appearances

Old
05-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
I've thought that they've looked great on paper the past 3 seasons

Me too--shows how much I know . . .

Old
05-30-2012, 10:23 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I'd like to see Davis Payne in here.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:00 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
And is being an Assistant with the Leafs better than a Head Job in Providence?????
Ummmmmmmmmm ..... Yes?

Riding the bus vs. flying?
AHL Salary vs. NHL Salary?
AHL facilities vs. NHL facilities?

Come on, ODAAT ... You're better than this

Old
05-30-2012, 01:41 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Ummmmmmmmmm ..... Yes?

Riding the bus vs. flying?
AHL Salary vs. NHL Salary?
AHL facilities vs. NHL facilities?

Come on, ODAAT ... You're better than this
Nothing more than my daily shot at MLSE

Old
06-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Malt
#wpri12steve

PROVIDENCE BRUINS YEAR IN REVIEW PART 2

PART ONE HERE: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...105537&page=17

Providence’s defense struggled through the first two or three months of season, as the team’s lack or talent and experience showed on the back end (on opening night, the team’s D was Marvin Degon/David Warsofsky/Ryan Button/Marc Cantin/Kevan Miller/Colby Cohen—not exactly a recipe for success there). However, as more experienced players got healthy (Bodnarchuk/McIver/Bartkowski), the team defensive play became more than adequate.

DEFENSE

Stats are games played-goals scored-assists-total points

-David Warsofsky (66-5-24-29): The undersized BU product was the team’s leading scorer and utilized his skating ability to earn a respectable 29 points in his first full season in the AHL. His defensive play is still a work in progress, and he still needs to add muscle to his 5’9” frame, but there is still potential for an NHL career. However, he will likely face competition from a similar undersized player—Torey Krug.

-Kevan Miller (65-3-21-24): One of the more positive stories to come out of Providence this year was the play of this undrafted product of the University of Vermont. Steady and strong, Miller finished with a team high +20 rating while adding 24 points. Miller also showed decent skills with the gloves off and racked up 98 pims on the year. Keep an eye on this player—he could make it to the big show sooner than later.

-Matt Bartkowski (50-3-19-22): Bartkowski had an up and down year, contributing little offense through the first couple months of the season before scoring 8 points in December. A late season injury limited his season to 50 AHL games. Bartkowski has shown in his 9 games in Boston that he isn’t ready for the NHL, so more time in the AHL will be needed. He’s RFA, so the organization will have to decide if he’s worthy of another contract.

-Andrew Bodnarchuk (63-5-12-17): A suffering through a miserable 2010-2011 season in which he battled a shoulder injury much of the year, Bodnarchuk bounced back with a 17 point season, although his -6 plus/minus was a disappointment considering this was his 4th full season in a spoked B. Undersized but strong, he could still find NHL employment soon, but it may not be with this organization.

-Colby Cohen (58-4-11-16): The former BU star has struggled in the AHL and did not improve upon his defensive play this year. Although armed with a big shot from the point, Cohen only managed 4 goals all year, 3 of which came on the PP. His decision making and passing need to improve ASAP, as he’s in danger of falling down the depth chart even further next year with Zach Trotman, Torey Krug and Tommy Cross ready to contribute next season.

The rest: Steve Kamper split his time between Providence and Boston and traded to the Wild at the trade deadline…Zach Trotman made his professional debut and played 9 games, putting up 3 points. He’s expected to help out the team’s PP next year…Zach McKelvie finally turned pro after finishing up his Army commitments but was ineffective and spent some of the season in the ECHL. A UFA, we wish him the best of luck…A third round draft pick in 2009, Ryan Button could not crack the lineup on a regular basis and also spent much of the year in Reading. He should get more playing time next year, but his upside is really unknown at this point. He managed only 2 points in 28 games in Providence…Nathan McIver spent much of the year recovering from an injury and played only 41 games. Although he has considerable NHL/AHL experience, there’s likely no need to resign the 27 year old whose best work comes with the gloves off…Tommy Cross played in 2 games and by some reports had a tough time adjusting to the pro level, but 2 games is too small a sample to jump to any conclusions. Cross should be in the regular rotation next year…Marc Cantin played only a few games in Providence and was traded to the Islanders organization at the trade deadline.

GOALTENDING

(Stats are games played-wins-losses-shootout losses-goals against average-save %)

-Anton Khudobin (44-21-19-1-2.61-.919): Khudobin’s stats are not indicative of his talent and work ethic, as Providence’s defensive play was inadequate for a good part of the year. Sure, Anton had his bad nights, but more often than not he was able to give his team a chance to win (the team won 7 shootouts this year). With the recent goaltending developments in Boston, it appears that Khudobin will get a chance to be the backup for Tuukka Rask next season.

-Michael Hutchinson (29-13-14-1-2.36-.927): After 2 notoriously bad showings at the Bruins-Islanders rookie games, Hutchinson took his place as Khudobin’s backup, playing only once in October and unable to earn his first win until November 9th, a 1-goal effort against Manchester. To his credit, Hutch improved through the year, including a 4-1 record in April, with a .177GAA and a .947 save percentage. With Khudobin likely headed to Boston, Hutch has a chance to win the starters job in Providence, but he’ll have to beat out newly signed Niklas Svedberg for the gig.

THE REST: Adam Courchaine, Adam Morrison and Karel St. Laurent appeared in a total of 8 games, with only St. Laurent being able to gain a victory, allowing 3 goals in an effort against Portland on 10/22.

COACHING: As I have written before, I do not have enough expertise to judge coaches. The general feeling on the board is that head coach Bruce Cassidy is not the right man to develop young talent in Providence. With several Bruins’ draftees—Ryan Spooner, Jared Knight, Justin Florek—likely playing in the AHL next season, it’s crucial for the right person to be in place. It should be noted that former Providence coach Rob Murray (whose Providence teams struggled in his last two years behind the bench) just coached the ECHL’s Alaska Aces to a 97 point regular season in the ECHL.

LOOKING AHEAD: Things can only get better, right? With Chris Bourque, Ryan Spooner, and Jared Knight likely joining players like Sauve, Camper and Cunningham, the team’s forward lineup looks great. But questions remain in regards to the team’s defensive makeup (still very young) and goaltending (Can Hutch maintain a consistent level of play? Will Svedberg adjust well to North American play?) The organization has secured the AHL’s leading scorer from last year, but they may want to sign at least 1 experienced defenseman to mentor a young crop of D.

SIGNED FORWARDS
Bourque/Camper/Cunningham/Florek/Randell/Sauve/Spooner/Tardif/Whitfield

RFA forwards
Arniel/Chaput/MacDermid

UFA FORWARDS
Hennessy

PREVIOUSLY SIGNED TO AN AHL CONTRACT
MacKinnon/MacDonald/Ridderwall/Robins

SIGNED DEFENSEMEN
Button/Cohen/Cross/Krug/Miller/Trotman/Warsofsky

RFA DEFENSEMEN
Bartkowski/Bodnarchuk

UFA DEFENSEMEN
McKelvie/McIver

SIGNED GOALIES
Khudobin/Hutchinson/Morrisson/Svedberg

RFA GOALIES
Courchaine

#RealMalt

Last edited by Malt: 06-03-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Alan Ryan

Thanks Malt. Looks like a good team is possible.

Closed Thread