Official 2012/2013 Providence Bruins Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Alan Ryan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
It`s not even about the "honest" evaluations, it`s simple coverage I was/have been looking for. Is there a local paper in Providence that covers the team at all that maybe I could bookmark to check out from time to time??

Thanks
The P-Bruins web site is basically used to sell tickets and not much else.

The local paper is the Providence Journal. Hockey coverage isn't great but they have some P-Bruins news.

Find it here: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/bruins/

Old
03-19-2012, 07:04 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
The P-Bruins web site is basically used to sell tickets and not much else.

The local paper is the Providence Journal. Hockey coverage isn't great but they have some P-Bruins news.

Find it here: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/bruins/
Thanks Alan, I appreciate it, something is better than nothing,the PB website is almost confusing, waaaaaay too much happening yet no substance IMO but...tis all good, how`s the weather there today????

Old
03-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Spoked P

here are two more blogs:

http://providencebruinsinsider.blogspot.com/
http://www.somethingsbruin.net/

they do not update often enough, and I find the best source of info is here actually. it is why I signed up.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Spoked P

Carter Camper ASG skills competition jersey on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110838762457...84.m1423.l2649

his game used 1st period went for $358 and warmup went for $350

Old
03-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Could anyone here with a bit of time fill me in on whom, if anyone has surprised you this season with improved play, who hasn`t, what is the issue if any in Providence etc....with all due respect to the Web designers for the PB`s, the site offers a fan who isn`t able to watch any games nothing in the way of a solid report on the prospects
Miller is biggest surprise, Camper has played well, Cunningham has had his moments,
Arniel points wise is a big disappointment

Old
03-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I really wish he was a great player. We share a last name so it wouldn't be a complete ********* move to get my own name on a jersey.
Wow! Me too. I remember when we drafted him, I was psyched. When I was in Georgia, I got a Yannick Tremblay jersey (now a collectible!)
Read that he's really fast...that's it really

Old
03-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Spoked P

Quote:
Could anyone here with a bit of time fill me in on whom, if anyone has surprised you this season with improved play, who hasn`t, what is the issue if any in Providence etc....with all due respect to the Web designers for the PB`s, the site offers a fan who isn`t able to watch any games nothing in the way of a solid report on the prospects
I have missed just 2 home games, and have been on the road for a few. I am no hockey scout or evaluator of talent so I can only give you my perspective as a fan.

My favorite players to watch have been Carter Camper, Max Sauve, Calle Ridderwall, Kyle Mackinnon, Matt Bartkowski and Bobby Robins.

Biggest Disapointments: Colby Cohen, the goaltending, and the entire Power play unit.

This team had losing streaks of 8 games early in the year and recently 5 games. The are always playing from behind. Early on in the year it was they could not find the back of the net, and recently it has been the goaltending. When Khudobin hurt his wrist and when Hutch was out with flu or in Boston, St. Laurent and Couchraine filled in for them. Between those two, it was the worst display of goaltending I have ever seen.

Special teams has been horrible all season. A complete inablity to score on the Power play and allowing easy goals on the kill. This in not a playoff team. All the problems a bad hockey team has, they have had them at some point in the season.

Yesterday's game for example, they won 5-1. On paper this looked like complete domination by the P-Bruins, but watching the game was anything but that. The defense was horrible, allowing 44 shots!!!

Old
03-19-2012, 04:55 PM
chizzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked P View Post
I have missed just 2 home games, and have been on the road for a few. I am no hockey scout or evaluator of talent so I can only give you my perspective as a fan.

My favorite players to watch have been Carter Camper, Max Sauve, Calle Ridderwall, Kyle Mackinnon, Matt Bartkowski and Bobby Robins.

Biggest Disapointments: Colby Cohen, the goaltending, and the entire Power play unit.

This team had losing streaks of 8 games early in the year and recently 5 games. The are always playing from behind. Early on in the year it was they could not find the back of the net, and recently it has been the goaltending. When Khudobin hurt his wrist and when Hutch was out with flu or in Boston, St. Laurent and Couchraine filled in for them. Between those two, it was the worst display of goaltending I have ever seen.

Special teams has been horrible all season. A complete inablity to score on the Power play and allowing easy goals on the kill. This in not a playoff team. All the problems a bad hockey team has, they have had them at some point in the season.

Yesterday's game for example, they won 5-1. On paper this looked like complete domination by the P-Bruins, but watching the game was anything but that. The defense was horrible, allowing 44 shots!!!
Not to worry. Next year will b a different team. You can bet it'll be better product on the ice. Some good prospects coming down.

Old
03-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Alan Ryan

Thanks for your input Spoked-P. Please keep it coming.

I saw that Nicholas Trembly got an assist yesterday. How does he look coming in out of college? Who is he playing with?

Providence 5 Springfield 1

Providence got 5 goals on 22 shots.

AHL game summary: http://theahl.com/stats/official-gam...ame_id=1009594

Goals: McIver, MacDonald (2), Whitfield & MacKinnon

Assists: Camper, Tremblay, Whitfield, Miller (2), Ridderwall, Hamill & MacKinnon

Stars: #1-Hutchinson, #2-MacDonald & #3-Whitfield

Goaltending: Hutchinson saved 43 of 44 shots. He gave up 1 PP goal.

Old
03-19-2012, 05:04 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:

Don't really know why you were shocked that two ECHL fill-ins were so below par.

Old
03-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Alan Ryan

Found this in the Globe Sunday column by Fluto Shinzawa:

Providence dealing with its own issues

Entering the weekend, the Providence Bruins had 61 points in 63 games, putting them next to last in the AHL’s Eastern Conference. With eight teams fighting for the last two playoff spots, Providence will have to put together a push to extend its season.

Providence hasn’t been to the postseason since 2009, when Tuukka Rask, Johnny Boychuk, and Brad Marchand were leading the charge.

“You’re walking a fine line between developing players and getting them ready, and winning,’’ said Bruins assistant GM Don Sweeney. “Winning is the ultimate goal.

“They’ve had ups and downs as well as a real good stretch. It’s been a combination of injuries, and they don’t score a lot of goals. But it’s a really hard-working group down there. There’s no quit in them. That’s a lot of the reason we ended up winning up top last year.’’

More information here: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...n_push/?page=3

Old
03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Saxon Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
I'm not sure that any of Trembley, Florek or Fallstrom will contribute much at the AHL level. Hopefully, at least one of them surprises me.

Trotman will likely go back for his senior year.

Volden should stay in Europe for another year or two.

Ferlin needs at least one more year of college hockey.

I'd love to see Chudinov come over but I have my doubts that it will happen.

Having an AHL team full of prospects quite often doesn't translate to success. The teams loaded with Vets are usually the best in the league.
Kirk got word that he's close to signing a contract, might see him in Providence this weekend

Old
03-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Ratty

Although I haven't seen anything to support it, my opinion is that Alexander Fallstrom stays for his senior year at Harvard. Why pass up the opportunity to get an Ivy league degree?
He's not considered a top prospect anyway; and Providence may not offer him what he's looking for at this point in his career.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Spoked P

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Don't really know why you were shocked that two ECHL fill-ins were so below par.
it was the disparity that was so shocking. it was embarassing. both of them were chased 3 games in a row one weekend.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:15 PM
roaddogg02316

Quote:
it was the disparity that was so shocking. it was embarassing. both of them were chased 3 games in a row one weekend.
Yeah that just seems like how it is going to be. Nothing consistent with goaltending, guys who should be doing well aren't. Lost cause for this year basically. I had thought Courchaine had improved from what I heard, but maybe only improved ECHL talent wise(hadn't seen him play this year with the Bruins)

Once Khudobin is healthy he is going to Boston, so gonna have to make it by with what we have in Providence. Got 3 more games I'm gonna go to this year, hopefully they can do something in them.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:34 AM
Alan Ryan

From Joe Haggerty on twitter:

Asked Peter Chiarelli about Anton Khudobin's status today: he's taking some shots, but wrist is still sore. Not that close.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Although I haven't seen anything to support it, my opinion is that Alexander Fallstrom stays for his senior year at Harvard. Why pass up the opportunity to get an Ivy league degree?
He's not considered a top prospect anyway; and Providence may not offer him what he's looking for at this point in his career.
In my opinion, leaving Harvard is not an option for Fallstrom. I wouldn't be shocked if the Bruins told him he needed to finish school first. Again this is just my opinion.

Chiarelli is a Harvard grad and I saw on a Beanpot special that Donato and he are in frequent contact.

For those who don't know, Fallstrom and all other Harvard athletes are not on an athletic scholarship.

The school doesn't have athletic scholarships, just academic.

I am Boston Strong

Last edited by Alicat: 03-21-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old
03-21-2012, 07:17 AM
ODAAT

Thanks to all for filling me in on some things (especially Spoked B), helps get a bit of a feel as to what`s going on in Providence

Old
03-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Saxon Eric

Northern Michigan's Florek expected to join P-Bruins

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/s...-p-bruins.html

Sauve returns; Tremblay goes back to school on Sunday
http://blogs.providencejournal.com/s...on-sunday.html

P-Bruins' Khudobin could be ready by the weekend
http://blogs.providencejournal.com/s...e-weekend.html

Old
03-21-2012, 07:22 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
Solid numbers, I personally know little about him/the game he plays but let`s hope some of those NCAA totals can translate into something solid in the Pro`s.

Is he finished with College now (sorry didn`t read the article)

Old
03-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Saxon Eric

Quote:
Solid numbers, I personally know little about him/the game he plays but let`s hope some of those NCAA totals can translate into something solid in the Pro`s.

Is he finished with College now (sorry didn`t read the article)
I think so

Old
03-21-2012, 08:25 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
Kirk got word that he's close to signing a contract, might see him in Providence this weekend
Ok, cool. I don't why I thought I'd heard he was going back for his senior year. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do as a pro.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Alicat
Charge!

So can we expect to see Florek and Trotman this weekend?

Getting excited to see Knight, Spooner, Florek, Trotman and eventually Cross in Black and Gold.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Ratty

Good news on Sauve. From earlier reports, I thought he was done for the season. But his hip pointer does lend some credence to those who call him "brittle".

Old
03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Spoked P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Good news on Sauve. From earlier reports, I thought he was done for the season. But his hip pointer does lend some credence to those who call him "brittle".
he plays with an edge. Very scrappy player, goes hard to the puck and plays to the whistle. I'd compare him to Nathan Horton, less a few pounds. He is my favorite player to watch, and glad to hear he will be back.

Perhaps he will need to learn to turn it down a notch so he doesn't get injured. first game back from the concussion he had a roughing penalty which if the refs let it go would have been a 5 min major. He had been in 1 or 2 fights since being back.

Closed Thread