HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Official 2012/2013 Providence Bruins Thread II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2012, 06:57 AM
  #201
Alan Ryan
Registered User
 
Alan Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
It`s not even about the "honest" evaluations, it`s simple coverage I was/have been looking for. Is there a local paper in Providence that covers the team at all that maybe I could bookmark to check out from time to time??

Thanks
The P-Bruins web site is basically used to sell tickets and not much else.

The local paper is the Providence Journal. Hockey coverage isn't great but they have some P-Bruins news.

Find it here: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/bruins/

Alan Ryan is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 07:04 AM
  #202
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
The P-Bruins web site is basically used to sell tickets and not much else.

The local paper is the Providence Journal. Hockey coverage isn't great but they have some P-Bruins news.

Find it here: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/bruins/
Thanks Alan, I appreciate it, something is better than nothing,the PB website is almost confusing, waaaaaay too much happening yet no substance IMO but...tis all good, how`s the weather there today????

ODAAT is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 10:46 AM
  #203
Spoked P
Registered User
 
Spoked P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
here are two more blogs:

http://providencebruinsinsider.blogspot.com/
http://www.somethingsbruin.net/

they do not update often enough, and I find the best source of info is here actually. it is why I signed up.

Spoked P is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 10:48 AM
  #204
Spoked P
Registered User
 
Spoked P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Carter Camper ASG skills competition jersey on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110838762457...84.m1423.l2649

his game used 1st period went for $358 and warmup went for $350

Spoked P is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 12:15 PM
  #205
Saxon Eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mendon/Greenfield NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Could anyone here with a bit of time fill me in on whom, if anyone has surprised you this season with improved play, who hasn`t, what is the issue if any in Providence etc....with all due respect to the Web designers for the PB`s, the site offers a fan who isn`t able to watch any games nothing in the way of a solid report on the prospects
Miller is biggest surprise, Camper has played well, Cunningham has had his moments,
.
Arniel points wise is a big disappointment

Saxon Eric is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 12:50 PM
  #206
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days
 
Grasshopperking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Manchester, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I really wish he was a great player. We share a last name so it wouldn't be a complete ********* move to get my own name on a jersey.
Wow! Me too. I remember when we drafted him, I was psyched. When I was in Georgia, I got a Yannick Tremblay jersey (now a collectible!)
Read that he's really fast...that's it really

Grasshopperking is online now  
Old
03-19-2012, 03:47 PM
  #207
Spoked P
Registered User
 
Spoked P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Could anyone here with a bit of time fill me in on whom, if anyone has surprised you this season with improved play, who hasn`t, what is the issue if any in Providence etc....with all due respect to the Web designers for the PB`s, the site offers a fan who isn`t able to watch any games nothing in the way of a solid report on the prospects
I have missed just 2 home games, and have been on the road for a few. I am no hockey scout or evaluator of talent so I can only give you my perspective as a fan.

My favorite players to watch have been Carter Camper, Max Sauve, Calle Ridderwall, Kyle Mackinnon, Matt Bartkowski and Bobby Robins.

Biggest Disapointments: Colby Cohen, the goaltending, and the entire Power play unit.

This team had losing streaks of 8 games early in the year and recently 5 games. The are always playing from behind. Early on in the year it was they could not find the back of the net, and recently it has been the goaltending. When Khudobin hurt his wrist and when Hutch was out with flu or in Boston, St. Laurent and Couchraine filled in for them. Between those two, it was the worst display of goaltending I have ever seen.

Special teams has been horrible all season. A complete inablity to score on the Power play and allowing easy goals on the kill. This in not a playoff team. All the problems a bad hockey team has, they have had them at some point in the season.

Yesterday's game for example, they won 5-1. On paper this looked like complete domination by the P-Bruins, but watching the game was anything but that. The defense was horrible, allowing 44 shots!!!

Spoked P is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 04:55 PM
  #208
chizzler
Registered User
 
chizzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 413
Country: Portugal
Posts: 2,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked P View Post
I have missed just 2 home games, and have been on the road for a few. I am no hockey scout or evaluator of talent so I can only give you my perspective as a fan.

My favorite players to watch have been Carter Camper, Max Sauve, Calle Ridderwall, Kyle Mackinnon, Matt Bartkowski and Bobby Robins.

Biggest Disapointments: Colby Cohen, the goaltending, and the entire Power play unit.

This team had losing streaks of 8 games early in the year and recently 5 games. The are always playing from behind. Early on in the year it was they could not find the back of the net, and recently it has been the goaltending. When Khudobin hurt his wrist and when Hutch was out with flu or in Boston, St. Laurent and Couchraine filled in for them. Between those two, it was the worst display of goaltending I have ever seen.

Special teams has been horrible all season. A complete inablity to score on the Power play and allowing easy goals on the kill. This in not a playoff team. All the problems a bad hockey team has, they have had them at some point in the season.

Yesterday's game for example, they won 5-1. On paper this looked like complete domination by the P-Bruins, but watching the game was anything but that. The defense was horrible, allowing 44 shots!!!
Not to worry. Next year will b a different team. You can bet it'll be better product on the ice. Some good prospects coming down.

chizzler is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 05:03 PM
  #209
Alan Ryan
Registered User
 
Alan Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,771
vCash: 500
Thanks for your input Spoked-P. Please keep it coming.

I saw that Nicholas Trembly got an assist yesterday. How does he look coming in out of college? Who is he playing with?


Providence 5 Springfield 1

Providence got 5 goals on 22 shots.

AHL game summary: http://theahl.com/stats/official-gam...ame_id=1009594

Goals: McIver, MacDonald (2), Whitfield & MacKinnon

Assists: Camper, Tremblay, Whitfield, Miller (2), Ridderwall, Hamill & MacKinnon

Stars: #1-Hutchinson, #2-MacDonald & #3-Whitfield

Goaltending: Hutchinson saved 43 of 44 shots. He gave up 1 PP goal.

Alan Ryan is offline  
Old
03-19-2012, 05:04 PM
  #210
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 8,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked P View Post
Biggest Disapointments: Colby Cohen, the goaltending, and the entire Power play unit.

This team had losing streaks of 8 games early in the year and recently 5 games. The are always playing from behind. Early on in the year it was they could not find the back of the net, and recently it has been the goaltending. When Khudobin hurt his wrist and when Hutch was out with flu or in Boston, St. Laurent and Couchraine filled in for them. Between those two, it was the worst display of goaltending I have ever seen.
Don't really know why you were shocked that two ECHL fill-ins were so below par.

GarbageGoal is offline  
Old
03-20-2012, 07:48 AM
  #211
Alan Ryan
Registered User
 
Alan Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,771
vCash: 500
Found this in the Globe Sunday column by Fluto Shinzawa:

Providence dealing with its own issues

Entering the weekend, the Providence Bruins had 61 points in 63 games, putting them next to last in the AHL’s Eastern Conference. With eight teams fighting for the last two playoff spots, Providence will have to put together a push to extend its season.

Providence hasn’t been to the postseason since 2009, when Tuukka Rask, Johnny Boychuk, and Brad Marchand were leading the charge.

“You’re walking a fine line between developing players and getting them ready, and winning,’’ said Bruins assistant GM Don Sweeney. “Winning is the ultimate goal.

“They’ve had ups and downs as well as a real good stretch. It’s been a combination of injuries, and they don’t score a lot of goals. But it’s a really hard-working group down there. There’s no quit in them. That’s a lot of the reason we ended up winning up top last year.’’


More information here: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...n_push/?page=3

Alan Ryan is offline  
Old
03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
  #212
Saxon Eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mendon/Greenfield NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
I'm not sure that any of Trembley, Florek or Fallstrom will contribute much at the AHL level. Hopefully, at least one of them surprises me.

Trotman will likely go back for his senior year.

Volden should stay in Europe for another year or two.

Ferlin needs at least one more year of college hockey.

I'd love to see Chudinov come over but I have my doubts that it will happen.

Having an AHL team full of prospects quite often doesn't translate to success. The teams loaded with Vets are usually the best in the league.
Kirk got word that he's close to signing a contract, might see him in Providence this weekend

Saxon Eric is offline  
Old
03-20-2012, 12:08 PM
  #213
Ratty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rive Gauche
Posts: 5,630
vCash: 500
Although I haven't seen anything to support it, my opinion is that Alexander Fallstrom stays for his senior year at Harvard. Why pass up the opportunity to get an Ivy league degree?
He's not considered a top prospect anyway; and Providence may not offer him what he's looking for at this point in his career.

Ratty is offline  
Old
03-20-2012, 12:11 PM
  #214
Spoked P
Registered User
 
Spoked P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Don't really know why you were shocked that two ECHL fill-ins were so below par.
it was the disparity that was so shocking. it was embarassing. both of them were chased 3 games in a row one weekend.

Spoked P is offline  
Old
03-20-2012, 01:15 PM
  #215
roaddogg02316
Registered User
 
roaddogg02316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked P View Post
it was the disparity that was so shocking. it was embarassing. both of them were chased 3 games in a row one weekend.
Yeah that just seems like how it is going to be. Nothing consistent with goaltending, guys who should be doing well aren't. Lost cause for this year basically. I had thought Courchaine had improved from what I heard, but maybe only improved ECHL talent wise(hadn't seen him play this year with the Bruins)

Once Khudobin is healthy he is going to Boston, so gonna have to make it by with what we have in Providence. Got 3 more games I'm gonna go to this year, hopefully they can do something in them.

roaddogg02316 is offline  
Old
03-21-2012, 04:34 AM
  #216
Alan Ryan
Registered User
 
Alan Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,771
vCash: 500
From Joe Haggerty on twitter:

Asked Peter Chiarelli about Anton Khudobin's status today: he's taking some shots, but wrist is still sore. Not that close.

Alan Ryan is offline  
Old
03-21-2012, 06:36 AM
  #217
Alicat
Charge!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOSTON
Country: United States
Posts: 19,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Although I haven't seen anything to support it, my opinion is that Alexander Fallstrom stays for his senior year at Harvard. Why pass up the opportunity to get an Ivy league degree?
He's not considered a top prospect anyway; and Providence may not offer him what he's looking for at this point in his career.
In my opinion, leaving Harvard is not an option for Fallstrom. I wouldn't be shocked if the Bruins told him he needed to finish school first. Again this is just my opinion.

Chiarelli is a Harvard grad and I saw on a Beanpot special that Donato and he are in frequent contact.

For those who don't know, Fallstrom and all other Harvard athletes are not on an athletic scholarship.

The school doesn't have athletic scholarships, just academic.

__________________
"I choose to focus on the things I CAN do and am passionate about." - Sam Berns

I am Boston Strong
6.15.11
4.15.13


Last edited by Alicat: 03-21-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Alicat is offline  
Old
03-21-2012, 07:17 AM
  #218
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,668
vCash: 500
Thanks to all for filling me in on some things (especially Spoked B), helps get a bit of a feel as to what`s going on in Providence

ODAAT is offline  
Old
03-21-2012, 07:19 AM
  #219
Saxon Eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mendon/Greenfield NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Northern Michigan's Florek expected to join P-Bruins

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/s...-p-bruins.html

Sauve returns; Tremblay goes back to school on Sunday
http://blogs.providencejournal.com/s...on-sunday.html

P-Bruins' Khudobin could be ready by the weekend
http://blogs.providencejournal.com/s...e-weekend.html

Saxon Eric is offline  
Old
03-21-2012, 07:22 AM
  #220
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
Solid numbers, I personally know little about him/the game he plays but let`s hope some of those NCAA totals can translate into something solid in the Pro`s.

Is he finished with College now (sorry didn`t read the article)

ODAAT is offline  
Old
03-21-2012, 07:31 AM
  #221
Saxon Eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mendon/Greenfield NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Solid numbers, I personally know little about him/the game he plays but let`s hope some of those NCAA totals can translate into something solid in the Pro`s.

Is he finished with College now (sorry didn`t read the article)
I think so

Saxon Eric is offline  
Old
03-21-2012, 08:25 AM
  #222
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
Kirk got word that he's close to signing a contract, might see him in Providence this weekend
Ok, cool. I don't why I thought I'd heard he was going back for his senior year. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do as a pro.

DaaaaB's is offline  
Old
03-21-2012, 10:06 AM
  #223
Alicat
Charge!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOSTON
Country: United States
Posts: 19,687
vCash: 500
So can we expect to see Florek and Trotman this weekend?

Getting excited to see Knight, Spooner, Florek, Trotman and eventually Cross in Black and Gold.

Alicat is offline  
Old
03-21-2012, 10:30 AM
  #224
Ratty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rive Gauche
Posts: 5,630
vCash: 500
Good news on Sauve. From earlier reports, I thought he was done for the season. But his hip pointer does lend some credence to those who call him "brittle".

Ratty is offline  
Old
03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
  #225
Spoked P
Registered User
 
Spoked P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Good news on Sauve. From earlier reports, I thought he was done for the season. But his hip pointer does lend some credence to those who call him "brittle".
he plays with an edge. Very scrappy player, goes hard to the puck and plays to the whistle. I'd compare him to Nathan Horton, less a few pounds. He is my favorite player to watch, and glad to hear he will be back.

Perhaps he will need to learn to turn it down a notch so he doesn't get injured. first game back from the concussion he had a roughing penalty which if the refs let it go would have been a 5 min major. He had been in 1 or 2 fights since being back.

Spoked P is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.