HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gudbranson is becoming a great player

Old
02-14-2012, 01:35 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
200 games according to Potvin ...
Seriously, never saw this comin-such love for a guy with the famous whistle.

If only Guds would start taking a shot at leading the league in hits.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Holy Jokinen

Lovin his game recently. Defense is such a hard facet of the game to master, and Guds is well on his way. Next year should be great for his development. He's really been coached right, in my opinion. You can't tell a kid to go out there and start throwing the body, it's so hard to do correctly. Instead, he focused on the finer points, positioning, getting the puck out, etc.. Now we see him taking strides, and i think that's because we're seeing confidence in the kid. Can't wait to see him in two years when he's just punishing the opponent night after night.

Was also nice to see him get some PP time the other day. Hopefully he'll start shooting more too.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
come on laus, am i really being that hard? hes been playing a solid physical defensive game, but thats about it. would that get him on a list of the great dmen in this league? nope. i totally admitted that hes playing better and no longer deserves to be benched (even if we were at full strength defensively). i should say too that im pretty optimistic as panthers fans go and my posting history will back that up.

i think what we're seeing here is the same thing we've seen with markstrom. marky mark played a few good games and people were calling for him to be a starter and clemmy to traded. (how screwed would we have been if that had happened). but then we saw markstrom get humbled a bit in some games. dont let a few good games convince you that either of them are anything more than rookies. this board generally wants to rush prospects before theyre ready or believe theyre better than they really are (yet).

i like guds and wish we had a few more prospects like him, but hes got a ways to go, and its far from guaranteed that he will get there. but i certainly hope he will.
Wasn't blasting you, just stating that you're hard on him, guess have high expectations is more like it. That's fine, but I really think he's turned the corner. He'll have flubs, next season may be a bit rough, but he's really stepped up his game and has proven his worth.

02-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Seriously, never saw this comin-such love for a guy with the famous whistle.

If only Guds would start taking a shot at leading the league in hits.
I really don't care about that, as long as he makes the smart hits. Chances are, the guy who led the league in hits took himself out of position a few times to make the hit.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:37 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I really don't care about that, as long as he makes the smart hits. Chances are, the guy who led the league in hits took himself out of position a few times to make the hit.
Case in point Dion Phaneuf. Don't know how many times in his career I've seen him go out of his way to make a big hit, then someone else on the other team gets the puck on an odd man rush and score, but its a lot.

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1081
Hey guys, Wild fan coming in peace.

I'll be honest - I haven't watched any Panthers games outside of when they're playing the Wild. I'm interested in Gudbranson, and I think he'll definitely develop into a great defender one day. However, recently looking over his stat totals for this year, I'm baffled.

In 49 games played, he has 5 points and is a -18? What's going on?

Reading over this thread, everyone seems really pleased with his play, which is great. Can anyone explain how Erik's been beneficial to your team and why it's not reflecting in his numbers?

Looking forward to playing you guys on Thursday. Good luck.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Hey guys, Wild fan coming in peace.

I'll be honest - I haven't watched any Panthers games outside of when they're playing the Wild. I'm interested in Gudbranson, and I think he'll definitely develop into a great defender one day. However, recently looking over his stat totals for this year, I'm baffled.

In 49 games played, he has 5 points and is a -18? What's going on?

Reading over this thread, everyone seems really pleased with his play, which is great. Can anyone explain how Erik's been beneficial to your team and why it's not reflecting in his numbers?

Looking forward to playing you guys on Thursday. Good luck.
His offensive game is still very raw. He has a blast from the point, but struggles to hit the net with it, at times. His passing kinda sucks and he even admits it.

He also struggled defensively earlier in the year. He really didn't look NHL-ready early on and it resulted in him being scratched, etc.

We're excited about the way he's playing lately, specifically on the defensive end. He's dominated a couple of games on the defensive end, imo.

If you look at his gamelogs, you'll see how his ice time is increasing. Even though his +/- isn't showing it (in part because the team, in general, hasn't been good 5v.5 for awhile now...), the increased ice time symbolizes his improvements if you've watched him from the beginning of the year till now.

It's not that he's had a great or even good year, overall. We're just excited about his improvements at the age of 20.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:15 AM
CaptainScrewy

bump. I know a lot of fans come here looking for info on Gudbranson, and I thought about this thread even before the fight and great assist. He really is turning into a great player, very worthy of that number 3 overall pick. I know some people say Skinner or Fowler would have been the better pick but at this point I would not trade Guds for either.

Becoming an absolute beast right before our very eyes. Very exciting and my favorite player on the Panthers in a long time.

CaptainScrewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:20 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

i have never had a name on the back of any of my panthers jersey's ever because i never thought a player warranted such and players being moved all the time.

I think i just might make an exception for Gudbranson.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Yup, Murder Eyes is getting the seal of approval from me!

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:20 AM
CatWoman34
Fool on the Hill

I've been saying it for awhile this season, in years to come he will be our captain.

The way he sticks up for players, and just plays his heart out for this team - I think he'll be our C one day.

He had a great night last night - the TSN guys loved him, and he is going to be a beast!!

So glad we drafted Guds

CatWoman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Go cats go!

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Beezeral

Im in a holding pattern on my jersey.

It's down to Markstrom, Gudbranson, and Hubredeau.

The heart wants to go with the goalie, but I'm waiting until the Alien settles into the starters role full time.

Same reason I'm holding off on Hubredeau, but he's a little behind Marky because he's not a goalie.

Gudbranson is probably the safest bet. May get anxious and pull the trigger so I have something red for the playoffs

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Erick

Last night was the first time I've ever seen him skate the puck from one end to the other and then make a pass like a playmaker which resulted in the tying goal. Even if it was offsides, but whatever. It was a pretty nice rush by him. It was a very good game by him. Arguably our best player last night.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Last night was the first time I've ever seen him skate the puck from one end to the other and then make a pass like a playmaker which resulted in the tying goal. Even if it was offsides, but whatever. It was a pretty nice rush by him. It was a very good game by him. Arguably our best player last night.
Was it for real offside? Was Sammy in before Gudbranson or something?

Old
03-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
No, but looking at the replay it looked like two guys were already in the zone before Gudbranson got there. Goc and someone else. If you go on fp.com for the game video and pause it when Gudbranson gets to the blueline, it looked like offsides.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:59 PM
zeroG

for those who didn't watch the canadiens' feed, guds was their player of the game. his highlight reel from last night was impressive. this thread is more than a little premature though.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
for those who didn't watch the canadiens' feed, guds was their player of the game. his highlight reel from last night was impressive. this thread is more than a little premature though.
Yeah, seen it last night. Very nice.

I've wanted a punishing defenseman for a long time and we've found him. There was a small play last night where he didn't panic, made a move, and got the puck out. Simple play but he had poise and didn't force anything under the pressure. The kid is fun to watch.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:17 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

It took him a bit to develop over the course of the season, but at this point, he can only get better and better. I notice him really getting a feel now after almost a full season under his belt of what it takes to play in this league. He always sticks up for his teammates and is mature about the game on and off the ice. We needed a player like this for a long long time. He's going to be huge for this team for years to come.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:53 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
It was actually Bergy that could have been in early, but Eller's skate is in the way, so you cant really see it from this shot I posted. If you move a frame ahead, Bergy is in the zone, but so is the puck.

Last edited by pb1300: 08-25-2013 at 08:48 PM.
pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
It was actually Bergy that could have been in early, but Eller's skate is in the way, so you cant really see it from this shot I posted. If you move a frame ahead, Bergy is in the zone, but so is the puck.
That's extremely close. Could very well be offside there, but as you say you can't confirm 100%.