HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV/Books/Movies/Music) Part III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
  #726
EliasFTW
Registered User
 
EliasFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Utica, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,109
vCash: 500
I just started watching The X Files on netflix. I cant believe i never watched the series before. I remember watching some episodes but my young punk lifestyle got in the way of watching religiously. And its been a long time i forgot most of the episodes i did watch. This no playoff hockey weekend wont keep me down.

EliasFTW is offline  
Old
05-10-2012, 08:54 PM
  #727
Jersey Man
Mad Dog
 
Jersey Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,252
vCash: 500
Die Hard.

Enough said.

Jersey Man is offline  
Old
05-10-2012, 09:19 PM
  #728
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,720
vCash: 500


Gosling is pretty badass.

Devilsfan92 is offline  
Old
05-10-2012, 09:25 PM
  #729
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,416
vCash: 500
It time for GoT yet?

No?

njdevsfn95 is offline  
Old
05-10-2012, 10:51 PM
  #730
holikwillfindyou
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: booville
Country: United States
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
GoT is absolute garbage

holikwillfindyou is offline  
Old
05-10-2012, 10:56 PM
  #731
Semak
Moderator
_______________
 
Semak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Osaka, Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holikwillfindyou View Post
GoT is absolute garbage
<joffreyclapping.gif>

Semak is offline  
Old
05-10-2012, 11:12 PM
  #732
Jersey Man
Mad Dog
 
Jersey Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,252
vCash: 500
Die Hard with a Vengeance is on now too!

Jersey Man is offline  
Old
05-10-2012, 11:40 PM
  #733
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles
 
Tedenby21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 8,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
It time for GoT yet?

No?
i hate how my anticipation to the episodes is whether or not it will be consistent with the books. i have such a hard time enjoying them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holikwillfindyou View Post
GoT is absolute garbage
books >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> show

and i'm not a book person.

Tedenby21 is offline  
Old
05-10-2012, 11:52 PM
  #734
holikwillfindyou
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: booville
Country: United States
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
i hate how my anticipation to the episodes is whether or not it will be consistent with the books. i have such a hard time enjoying them.

books >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> show

and i'm not a book person.
just blew my mind sir. thank you.

holikwillfindyou is offline  
Old
05-10-2012, 11:55 PM
  #735
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles
 
Tedenby21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 8,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holikwillfindyou View Post
just blew my mind sir. thank you.
i tell every person that i talk to about the series to read the books and never watch the show. this won't mean much to people here but if you knew me, you would know that speaks volumes. A Song of Ice and Fire is pretty much the only thing that I've ever really enjoyed reading in my life.

Tedenby21 is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 12:00 AM
  #736
holikwillfindyou
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: booville
Country: United States
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
i tell every person that i talk to about the series to read the books and never watch the show. this won't mean much to people here but if you knew me, you would know that speaks volumes. A Song of Ice and Fire is pretty much the only thing that I've ever really enjoyed reading in my life.
i've been watching it since it debuted, and i have never, ever..thought about reading the books until right now due to the severe awesome factor of the show. binging the closest library as i write.

holikwillfindyou is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 12:09 AM
  #737
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,622
vCash: 500
I'm forcing myself to get back into using more of my free time on reading. Re-read I Am Legend the other day (highly recommended - especially if you enjoyed anything about the movie and never read the book, as the book is 100x better/different). Decided to start Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy yesterday (which I have never read). Probably going to plow my way through a lot of these classic books that I never read when I should have. Just trying to suck a little less as a human each day.

Scott04 is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 12:17 AM
  #738
holikwillfindyou
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: booville
Country: United States
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
I'm forcing myself to get back into using more of my free time on reading. Re-read I Am Legend the other day (highly recommended - especially if you enjoyed anything about the movie and never read the book, as the book is 100x better/different). Decided to start Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy yesterday (which I have never read). Probably going to plow my way through a lot of these classic books that I never read when I should have. Just trying to suck a little less as a human each day.
yeahhhh, you pretty much just summed it up there. it's been a while since i've sat down with a good book that you just..cannot..put..down. Book club thread haha? Or is there one already?

holikwillfindyou is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 12:33 AM
  #739
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holikwillfindyou View Post
yeahhhh, you pretty much just summed it up there. it's been a while since i've sat down with a good book that you just..cannot..put..down. Book club thread haha? Or is there one already?
Not sure if there used to be a book thread, but judging by the title here, its definitely merged for here. My issue with books is a lot like with any movie or TV series. Books are just the most extreme example. I really can't get too into it until I'm a certain portion of the way through. Once I get to that point, assuming its not crap, I'm hooked. I just need to push myself to get to that point and I'm golden. Movies its easy, because that could be as simple as 20-30 minutes into the movie. I'm not going to just shut it off because I wasn't grabbed right away. TV shows may take a couple of episodes, but again, not terribly long. For a book though, depending on the nature and genre, we could be talking 1/4 to maybe even 1/2 of the book. And given the pace I may be reading and how many days I have to spread that over... could be talking about forcing myself to keep going back to a book for a couple of weeks before I can really get hooked. I'm convinced that's the reason I haven't been more consistently into reading my whole life.

Scott04 is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 12:46 AM
  #740
holikwillfindyou
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: booville
Country: United States
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Not sure if there used to be a book thread, but judging by the title here, its definitely merged for here. My issue with books is a lot like with any movie or TV series. Books are just the most extreme example. I really can't get too into it until I'm a certain portion of the way through. Once I get to that point, assuming its not crap, I'm hooked. I just need to push myself to get to that point and I'm golden. Movies its easy, because that could be as simple as 20-30 minutes into the movie. I'm not going to just shut it off because I wasn't grabbed right away. TV shows may take a couple of episodes, but again, not terribly long. For a book though, depending on the nature and genre, we could be talking 1/4 to maybe even 1/2 of the book. And given the pace I may be reading and how many days I have to spread that over... could be talking about forcing myself to keep going back to a book for a couple of weeks before I can really get hooked. I'm convinced that's the reason I haven't been more consistently into reading my whole life.
i agree 100%. television shows, movies...it's really a ongoing cataclysm of our daily society. and the worst part is that im hooked. however i remember the days of high school, and **** it even after high school that i would bunker down with a good read. and sometimes that read would interest me, aaaand sometimes it wouldn't. that binded convergence of paper would mean nothing to me. turn off light, sleep.

i need to come back to that, the feeling of reading i guess? sounds crazy but the reason i thanked you is, your post reminded me of the power of literature. takes you to a different world.....everytime.

holikwillfindyou is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 12:48 AM
  #741
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk
 
Darius Dangleaitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 20,828
vCash: 500
The books seem like they would be better, only because I can read as much as I want at one time and not have to wait for a week.

Tell me - am I a lost cause as far as the books are concerned, seeing as I've only read about an eighth into the second one? If I continue reading, is there such a discrepancy between show and book that it won't be nearly as enjoyable?

Darius Dangleaitis is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 12:57 AM
  #742
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holikwillfindyou View Post
i agree 100%. television shows, movies...it's really a ongoing cataclysm of our daily society. and the worst part is that im hooked. however i remember the days of high school, and **** it even after high school that i would bunker down with a good read. and sometimes that read would interest me, aaaand sometimes it wouldn't. that binded convergence of paper would mean nothing to me. turn off light, sleep.

i need to come back to that, the feeling of reading i guess? sounds crazy but the reason i thanked you is, your post reminded me of the power of literature. takes you to a different world.....everytime.
Glad I could help then, even if it was unintentionally. I doubt I was into reading the same way you were in the past given the way you described it. I really didn't read for leisure much, if at all in high school. But I was reading more on an overall level, between school or just general activities. Even though it wasn't a book, I made a conscious effort to read more of the newspaper on a daily basis. Admittedly the most time was spent with sports, but at least a casual skim of other sections as well. I was really good with this my freshman year of college, as we had free copies of a number of papers available in some spots on campus. I always opted for the Star-Ledger, as that was the paper I always read at home. But my first semester in particular I had a solid system. I had mostly morning classes (the joys of being a freshman), but two days a week in particular I had an 8:30 AM class followed immediately by a 10 AM class. I wasn't involved enough on campus with anything to have much else to do, and my friends would either be sleeping late or in class when I was out. Those Monday and Wednesday mornings I would grab a paper after my 10 AM class, walk back to my dorm, and read over the large majority of the paper and go get lunch with people after. I spent more time doing that than actually going to class, but at least I learned something.

My sophomore year I suddenly became big into reading books for all of about 3-4 weeks. But I was plowing through books at the time at least. While not full length novels necessarily, I do remember being so proud about finishing almost 3 books in the span of a week one time. Reading has just always been the thing I've said I would do more "when I find the time." I say that about many things, but I give reading a different tone when I say it, as that's the one I really do the least of when I really do have the time. Bought myself a Kindle Fire for my birthday last fall, so I'm forcing myself to take advantage of it. While I personally prefer a physical book over an e-book, I'm content using this, especially if it will force me to read more. Definitely made some progress, even if it was mostly re-reading books I've read before.

The real sign of progress: Within a month of buying my Kindle, I went to the public library in my town and signed up for a library card, as you can borrow e-books directly onto your e-reader device. This is the first time I've had a library card since elementary school -- probably 12-15 years ago depending on which grade that was that I had it.

Scott04 is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 05:04 AM
  #743
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
The books seem like they would be better, only because I can read as much as I want at one time and not have to wait for a week.

Tell me - am I a lost cause as far as the books are concerned, seeing as I've only read about an eighth into the second one? If I continue reading, is there such a discrepancy between show and book that it won't be nearly as enjoyable?
The biggest discrepancy between the books and show is the number of characters. There are just too many to pay for. This fact impacts everything else.

njdevsfn95 is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 09:16 AM
  #744
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles
 
Tedenby21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 8,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holikwillfindyou View Post
i've been watching it since it debuted, and i have never, ever..thought about reading the books until right now due to the severe awesome factor of the show. binging the closest library as i write.
i wouldn't even go to the library. i'd invest in the whole series right away. there are some good bundles on amazon. i guarantee once you start reading you won't put them down until you are done. i might try to reread the series this summer in my free time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
The books seem like they would be better, only because I can read as much as I want at one time and not have to wait for a week.

Tell me - am I a lost cause as far as the books are concerned, seeing as I've only read about an eighth into the second one? If I continue reading, is there such a discrepancy between show and book that it won't be nearly as enjoyable?
the discrepancies aren't huge, but you will find yourself saying "this happened in the book but not in the show" and visa versa.

Tedenby21 is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 09:35 AM
  #745
Drewr15
Registered User
 
Drewr15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Milford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
The books seem like they would be better, only because I can read as much as I want at one time and not have to wait for a week.

Tell me - am I a lost cause as far as the books are concerned, seeing as I've only read about an eighth into the second one? If I continue reading, is there such a discrepancy between show and book that it won't be nearly as enjoyable?
Yeah as njdevsfan95 mentions - the differences in season 1 had more to do with the volume of characters but they stuck pretty much dead on to the books. Season 2 they are varying way more - still keeping the overall narrative and feel but making more changes. I am a huge fan of the books - honestly I used to be an avid reader but since this series I rarely enjoy other fiction books any more as they are just not as fun. That said, I for one have enjoyed most of the shows changes. They are keeping the main plot but I have enjoyed being surprised and they mostly have kept people in character so I have really enjoyed it. The depth is not there compared to the books and it's hard to do the subtle mysteries that Martin hints at through out the books that you are forced to piece together. I always say his books are like the sixth sense - after you get through the series once, when you go back and read it again very often you realize hints and clues were there that you did not see.

Also I can say that my wife never read the books before season 1 of the show and she is enjoying both equally so I don't think it's a lost cause.

Drewr15 is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 09:23 AM
  #746
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
HIMYM finale tonight, but I won't be watching, sadly, for obvious reasons.

Saugus is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 09:24 AM
  #747
cj225
Work in Progress...
 
cj225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,984
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
HIMYM finale tonight, but I won't be watching, sadly, for obvious reasons.
We'll be DVR'ing it...1 hour tonight.

cj225 is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 09:33 AM
  #748
Ripshot 43
Registered User
 
Ripshot 43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
We'll be DVR'ing it...1 hour tonight.
I had to make the decision on what to not DVR tonight and it wasn't much of a decision. HIMYM won out pretty easily with it being the season finale. I did wanna watch the season premeire of America Got Talent with Howard Stern though. The wife and I enjoy laughing at that show. Oh well... Hockey trumps all.

Ripshot 43 is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 09:56 AM
  #749
cj225
Work in Progress...
 
cj225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,984
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshot 43 View Post
I had to make the decision on what to not DVR tonight and it wasn't much of a decision. HIMYM won out pretty easily with it being the season finale. I did wanna watch the season premeire of America Got Talent with Howard Stern though. The wife and I enjoy laughing at that show. Oh well... Hockey trumps all.
Yeah I like watching AGT as well..I'm sure it'll be on multiple nights though.

cj225 is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 10:11 AM
  #750
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,783
vCash: 425
Movie recommendation for anyone with Encore on Demand or Netflix.

'Get Low' Robert Duvall, Bill Murray and a host of other recognizable named talent including the little kid from Slingblade all grown up. It's got that indy film vibe with a unique script and absolutely incredible cinematography. Character driven 100% through and through and these actors delivered on a very solid short story. A bit of humor, a bit of sadness and a little bit of mystery as the plot unfolds.

Solid A rating from me for something that most people probably have never hear of. I just went through the On-Demand listing and saw the names of the actors and gave it a shot.


__________________

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.