HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV/Books/Movies/Music) Part III

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I thought the song over the end credits of last week's GoT was awesome:

Very simple, but haunting.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I thought the song over the end credits of last week's GoT was awesome:

Very simple, but haunting.
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Don't google unless you want spoilers.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Drewr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Ok so after not really having any interest in it, I got bored enough to sit down last night and watch my first ever episode of GoT. HBO on demand, started at ep1. I forget who it was that said they gave it a shot last week and at ep4 they were hooked. I made it halfway through the 2nd episode and was snagged. I did not anticipate how rich the visuals would be along with some really strong dialogue. Exceeded expectations 100%.

Stayed up to 2am watching the first 4 episodes. Love it. Perfect time to finally get on board too - with days off between game 1 and 2 I will need a distraction.
Welcome welcome. It is great stuff. Highly recommend the books too for summer reading.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Drewr15

Quote:
Meh - it's the whole LOTR type setting. I was one of the few people I knew that wasn't jacked up for those movies either. I got over my Dungeons & Dragons phase a long time ago and never looked back.

Warcraft game never appealed to me either.
It feels more medieval and less LOTR or Harry Potter type to me. Obviously there is some magic in there but you can see who the real life inspirations are for all of the cultures. You don't feel like you are visiting a strange fantastical world just the past. At least to me.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Drewr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Don't google unless you want spoilers.
Yeah I lost my **** when they played that song. Brilliant.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
So who's playing C?

vCash: 313
Just finished a 3 hour marathon to end season 1 of GoT.

Episodes 8,9,10 in summary:

Prince Joffrey's decision in episode 9:

Old
06-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Prince Joffrey's decision in episode 9:

Old
06-02-2012, 01:22 AM
devilpop

Been hooked on Game Of Thrones since day 1, wanted to understand more about it all so I got the book and audio books of the entire series. not a reader at all but i read and/or listen just about everyday. I'm pretty much read right up until just now in HBO season 2 along with the book a clash of kings, it's very interesting seeing how everything plays out and you get so much more background on everything and everyone. I highly recommend any fan of the show try to read the books.

they've also changed a lot for the show, a hell of a lot actually. last week's episode and battle and ending went completely another way than the book had for instance. Seems they've changed more in season 2 much more so than season 1.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:24 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Almost done running through Game of Thrones season 1. Just finished episode 9.

Spoil:
I did not expect them to kill Eddard. Also, Joffrey's a total ****** nozzle. Like, worse than most Lannisters.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Ripshot 43

vCash: 50
So I just watched Alien for the first time in about 15-20 years, so it was basically like a brand new movie to me.

I see no way that Prometheus isn't a prequel as Ridley Scott has said unless he was saying that as to not have viewers expecting Aliens to come running out.

Spoil:

The ship they explore in the begining and where the guy gets the facehugger is the same ship in Prometheus. Also, the space jockey or pilot of that said alien ship has a hole burst through his stomach from the inside. His ship is also littered with the facehugger aliens and they say that his ship was headed towards Earth. So, piecing together the movie trailers for Prometheus... They are trying to stop the space jockey from brining his ship to earth because they know that it would colonize Earth with all those eggs and we can assume it crashes at the end on the planet we see in Alien.

Can't wait!

Old
06-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Almost done running through Game of Thrones season 1. Just finished episode 9.

Spoil:
I did not expect them to kill Eddard. Also, Joffrey's a total ****** nozzle. Like, worse than most Lannisters.
You ain't seen nothing yet. He gets even worse.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:43 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshot 43 View Post
So I just watched Alien for the first time in about 15-20 years, so it was basically like a brand new movie to me.

I see no way that Prometheus isn't a prequel as Ridley Scott has said unless he was saying that as to not have viewers expecting Aliens to come running out.

Spoil:

The ship they explore in the begining and where the guy gets the facehugger is the same ship in Prometheus. Also, the space jockey or pilot of that said alien ship has a hole burst through his stomach from the inside. His ship is also littered with the facehugger aliens and they say that his ship was headed towards Earth. So, piecing together the movie trailers for Prometheus... They are trying to stop the space jockey from brining his ship to earth because they know that it would colonize Earth with all those eggs and we can assume it crashes at the end on the planet we see in Alien.

Can't wait!
Spoil:
The Weyland tie-in is unmistakable that it is a Alien prequel also. I'm curious how this goes. There's been long rumors (from years ago) that the Aliens work well with human bodies and have similar features because they have human DNA mixed with them. I'm curious if maybe something happens here which mixes the Prometheus crew with the Alien DNA to make them. Just a thought.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Spoil:
The Weyland tie-in is unmistakable that it is a Alien prequel also. I'm curious how this goes. There's been long rumors (from years ago) that the Aliens work well with human bodies and have similar features because they have human DNA mixed with them. I'm curious if maybe something happens here which mixes the Prometheus crew with the Alien DNA to make them. Just a thought.
Spoil:

I'm being a little slow. Can you re explain what you just said. Are you saying the facehuggers didn't turn into the "aliens" we know from the movies until they got ahold of a human host?

Old
06-02-2012, 10:26 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Spoil:

I'm being a little slow. Can you re explain what you just said. Are you saying the facehuggers didn't turn into the "aliens" we know from the movies until they got ahold of a human host?

Spoil:
I'll just start off by saying I'm a huge Alien and Predator geek. I know a decent amount about them. A good example is the movie Predators. I saw that movie coming away years ago. Why? It's basically the plot of what was supposed to be Predator 3. Only it would have had Danny Glover and Arnold in it. Why no Predator 3? A few reasons: Predator 2 didn't do so hot at the box office, at least as much FOX wanted, the guy who played the Predator in the first 2 died (got AIDS from a blood transfusion, good luck finding a 6'9" guy who can move around nimbly in that suit), and Arnold was at the peak of his career (lots of $$$ to get him to play a role).

That said, I don't know if it's true, but years ago I heard a rumor about basically what you just said. It's been long rumored (even before the ****** AvP1 movie) that the Aliens were engineered as a race for the Predators to hunt. Ignoring the AvP movies, we know both species are in the same universe (per the end of Predator 2 and the Alien skull in the ship). So it was rumored that the Predators or some Alien race had the DNA of the Aliens that they used, and when merged with human DNA take on human attributes.

I'm thinking this may be true for a few reasons.

1. We've seen DNA mix before. Look at the "human" alien in Alien Resurrection (though that movie wasn't too good too).

2. The Prometheus crew obviously gets sick with something. You can see sickly looking people in the trailer, as well as dark veins on them, the dude with the smoke in his mask while on the planet, etc.

Prometheus is also the one that stole fire from Zeus and gave it to humans. I can see a similar thing happens (Prometheus crew steals the "aliens" from the space jockeys, and gives them to the humans [hence the other movies]).

But the rumors we're discussing about the mixed DNA is something I read years ago (like 2005 timeframe) from supposed discussion within FOX about where to go with the story. And it was that the Aliens essentially were birthed from humans (provided DNA to bring them to life).

I could be wrong. Don't take this as a current rumor, take it as speculation on my part based on what I remember from the pats. From the AVP we know that the alien will take on the aspects of it's host (for instance, the Pred-Alien if it bursts from a Predator).

TL;DR: If the old rumor was followed for this, sometime in the movie, something mixes with the crews DNA to create the aliens.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Spoil:
I'll just start off by saying I'm a huge Alien and Predator geek. I know a decent amount about them. A good example is the movie Predators. I saw that movie coming away years ago. Why? It's basically the plot of what was supposed to be Predator 3. Only it would have had Danny Glover and Arnold in it. Why no Predator 3? A few reasons: Predator 2 didn't do so hot at the box office, at least as much FOX wanted, the guy who played the Predator in the first 2 died (got AIDS from a blood transfusion, good luck finding a 6'9" guy who can move around nimbly in that suit), and Arnold was at the peak of his career (lots of $$$ to get him to play a role).

That said, I don't know if it's true, but years ago I heard a rumor about basically what you just said. It's been long rumored (even before the ****** AvP1 movie) that the Aliens were engineered as a race for the Predators to hunt. Ignoring the AvP movies, we know both species are in the same universe (per the end of Predator 2 and the Alien skull in the ship). So it was rumored that the Predators or some Alien race had the DNA of the Aliens that they used, and when merged with human DNA take on human attributes.
Oo
I'm thinking this may be true for a few reasons.

1. We've seen DNA mix before. Look at the "human" alien in Alien Resurrection (though that movie wasn't too good too).

2. The Prometheus crew obviously gets sick with something. You can see sickly looking people in the trailer, as well as dark veins on them, the dude with the smoke in his mask while on the planet, etc.

Prometheus is also the one that stole fire from Zeus and gave it to humans. I can see a similar thing happens (Prometheus crew steals the "aliens" from the space jockeys, and gives them to the humans [hence the other movies]).

But the rumors we're discussing about the mixed DNA is something I read years ago (like 2005 timeframe) from supposed discussion within FOX about where to go with the story. And it was that the Aliens essentially were birthed from humans (provided DNA to bring them to life).

I could be wrong. Don't take this as a current rumor, take it as speculation on my part based on what I remember from the pats. From the AVP we know that the alien will take on the aspects of it's host (for instance, the Pred-Alien if it bursts from a Predator).

TL;DR: If the old rumor was followed for this, sometime in the movie, something mixes with the crews DNA to create the aliens.
Awesome read. Thank you for taking the time to post that. Very interesting.

Old
06-02-2012, 12:02 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Awesome read. Thank you for taking the time to post that. Very interesting.
If you look hard enough online you'll probably find other iterations of Predator 3 as well. He started early development in like 1995 so yeah he had a while to figure it out.

I started looking. Apparently at one point Robert Rodriguez had Dutch getting captured by pirates and taken to a prison camp on another planet (wait what!?), which is found destroyed by Predators. Hilarity ensues.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Ahhh, why is it over?! Now to wait a year for a new episode.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:12 PM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

That was incredible. Every minute.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
That was incredible. Every minute.
We shall have to disagree. I wasn't a fan of the subtle changes and small things that didn't happen.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:24 PM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

Quote:
We shall have to disagree. I wasn't a fan of the subtle changes and small things that didn't happen.
I dont disagree. Thats why Im rereading the books.

But **** me if seeing all the Others at the end didnt get me pumped for next season.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
I dont disagree. Thats why Im rereading the books.

But **** me if seeing all the Others at the end didnt get me pumped for next season.
It's definitely still better than all the other crap on tv, don't get me wrong.

Spoil:
I just can't believe that they would look at Sam and not kill him. I almost thought he would attack a single whitewalker at the end with the obsidian, but he didn't.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Books are one thing the show is another.

I've only read the first book, it was great, and so was both seasons from HBO. Love it all.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

Quote:
It's definitely still better than all the other crap on tv, don't get me wrong.
Spoil:
He doesnt do that yet, which is why he didnt.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Just incredible. I wish life had a fast forward button.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
Spoil:
He doesnt do that yet, which is why he didnt.
Spoil:
Yeah I know it isn't until later, but I wasn't sure because they had already changed what was happening. I just find it hard to think that Sam can survive while surrounded by Others and Whitewalkers by himself. I just don't know they can explain how he isn't already dead and how he ends up surviving.

Closed Thread