HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Botta on Chris Kreider (All Kreider discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

vCash: 500
Have we even considered the possibility that he could be tired and have less fatigue if he comes to either whales or rangers AFTER a full season where he is pluss going to school?

If he plays for us when he's less than 100 % people are not going to believe the hype at all and are going to sour on him fast..

Old
02-29-2012, 08:58 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
Have we even considered the possibility that he could be tired and have less fatigue if he comes to either whales or rangers AFTER a full season where he is pluss going to school?

If he plays for us when he's less than 100 % people are not going to believe the hype at all and are going to sour on him fast..
Going to school isnt going to make him fatigued.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Man there are some high expectations on this kid. I don't see it happening this season. I just don't. If he does get signed and inserted I don't expect a big impact.
I'll be More than Happy to be pleasantly surprised tho ;-)

Old
02-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

so sather says "absolutely" that he's going to sign him when his season ends but the first poster says " i really doubt he's going to come here prob wants to finish out the school year"

hahaha

sather's going to sign him and give him to torts who will prob stick him right in the lineup if he feels he's an upgrade over anyone or if there is an injury. that's really the depth problem we have

Old
02-29-2012, 10:32 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
No he didn't.
Not the NHL Playoffs or the Stanley Cup, but close

He played one period of NHL hockey, was sent to the AHL where he was a back up, became the starter for the PO's and won a Calder Cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Roy

not as sexy a story had it happen in the NHL, but close lol

Old
02-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Entirely possible that the likely addition of Kreider late in the season was a key factor in them staying out of the trade market on deadline day. They may have felt he would be a better addition than any other player available (save for Nash, obviously), and he would be added for free.
Exactly. That's the only explanation for not adding another depth forward. Scott is only capable of playing on the 4th line. They are counting on Kreider to fill in the top 9 if somebody goes down or if there's a need for more scoring. That's why Wolski was not replaced with somebody like Kostytsin. Torts would rather play a raw rookie than players he doesn't see as fitting his vision of the team. One can argue the merits of that view, but that's where things are.

Also, LOL at some people who think Kreider won't leave school early and finish his classes later on. Sather said that he "absolutely" will be signing Kreider in time for him to play this season. I would bet he's had more conversations with Kreider and his advisors than anyone on this board. Some people just have to conjure up negative scenarios in order to have something to dread about this team.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I don't think it was the only explanation, but I think it was a contributing factor. The high prices, thin market, and focus on Nash were all additional factors in standing pat in terms of scoring forwards.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:04 PM
ThirdEye

I don't think Kreider will play in the NHL this season. I don't care if he's played in the Olympics before, jumping from college to playing in the NHL playoffs with guys that have played 40 more games than him this season is going to be a massive shock for him. If he does somehow end up on the roster I doubt he will make any kind of impact

Old
02-29-2012, 12:08 PM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not the NHL Playoffs or the Stanley Cup, but close

He played one period of NHL hockey, was sent to the AHL where he was a back up, became the starter for the PO's and won a Calder Cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Roy

not as sexy a story had it happen in the NHL, but close lol
In the following season, Roy started playing regularly for the Montreal Canadiens. He played 47 games during the regular season and won the starting job for the playoffs, where he emerged as a star,[3] leading his team to an unexpected Stanley Cup title and winning a Conn Smythe Trophy for the Most Valuable Player in the playoffs.[5] As a 20-year old, he became the youngest Conn Smythe winner ever and was chosen for the NHL All-Rookie Team.[4][7]

What? He played more then half the season that year. I really don't care but I'm just saying...I think the OP was saying he came up in the playoffs.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:13 PM
haveandare

I'd be really surprised if Torts put Kreider in the lineup this year. He is adamant about players being conditioned and buying into the system. Kreider is obviously in game shape but is he in NHL playoffs shape? I don't know. Does he know the NYR system well enough that Torts would be comfortable putting him out there in a playoff situation? I don't know.

I could see him playing a few with the Whale and then coming up if there's an injury and he's really tearing up the AHL, but I doubt Torts just inserts him into the lineup because he's available.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:46 PM
MSG the place to be*

I've been trying to find the right comparison for Kreider and it dawned on me that he has a lot of Lecavalier in him. Body type, speed, and shot.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:55 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah, I can see that. Hopefully Torts/Richards can do for Kreider what they did for Lecavalier.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:14 PM
BackBayNYR

Kreider has that quick first step like Gaborik and a great shot like him as well but you are right in saying he looks a lot like Lecavlier. I saw Brian Leetch this morning walking through Beacon Hill in Boston and I really wanted to ask him what he thinks of Kreider, being a BC alum and all but all I said was "Hey Brian, Let's Go Rangers!".

Old
02-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Emptyvoid

Was Lecav ever as fast as Kreider? Is Kreider even a comparable playmaker to Lecav? How about the hands?

I can see the shot and body type though.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:18 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Was Lecav ever as fast as Kreider? Is Kreider even a comparable playmaker to Lecav? How about the hands?

I can see the shot and body type though.
Game 82, Lightning vs Hurricanes...Lecavalier showed some speed and I loved it.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Game 82, Lightning vs Hurricanes...Lecavalier showed some speed and I loved it.
I remember the perfect pass off the boards to MSL to spring him on a breakaway and put a dagger through the heart of the hurricanes.

It's just that many people say that Kreider is arguably a top 3 skater in the NHL already. Is Lecav anything like that?

I think physically they are pretty comparable players. Not perfect but no comparison ever is. I doubt Kreider will have Lecav's offensive game though.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Not sure I really see the comparison to Lecavalier.

Kreider is faster, is more of a sniper, a harder worker and just a generally different type of player than VL.

Aside from the fact that they are both tall and can move, I just don't really see it all. I also think Kreider is going to be a bit bulkier than VL when all is said and done. He's already in the 220-225 range and his frama looks like it has even more room to bulk up.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:31 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBayNYR View Post
Kreider has that quick first step like Gaborik and a great shot like him as well but you are right in saying he looks a lot like Lecavlier. I saw Brian Leetch this morning walking through Beacon Hill in Boston and I really wanted to ask him what he thinks of Kreider, being a BC alum and all but all I said was "Hey Brian, Let's Go Rangers!".
from what i have seen from kreider he has that first step thats blazing just like gaborik but i think he also has a powerful stride to his skating that gaborik or any1 else on our team has for that matter. as fast as hags is sometimes he just looks unorthodox in his stride, kind of almost like running on skates. kreider just has the natural powerful speedy stride, he is going to be fun to watch.

after watching last years WC, i would like to see kreider play with stepan. they had some great chemistry at the tournament and would be interesting if that can translate to the nhl level. i would like to see the lines like this if he signs and plays for us.

kreider-stepan-gaborik
dubinsky-richards-callahan
feds/boyle?-anismov-hagelin (i assume he can play rw)
prust-rupp-mitchell/scott

mcdonagh-girardi
staal-del zotto
scott/woywitka-eminger/stralman

since staal has recently picked up his game, he should have a strong finish over these last 21 games. im 90 percent sure that no way torts has staal on the 3rd pair come playoff time. if he keeps on improving his play during the stretch run, he most likely will be back on the 1st pair in april or on the 2nd pair at the very least.

p.s not that i think kreider automatically deserves first line lw honors before playing a game, just was noting the lines i would like to see since i have seen him play with stepan before. im sure he would fit in just as good with richards so either option works.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Crease

The Kreider hype is growing by the day. What can we reasonably expect out of him next year? 50 points?

Old
02-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
The Kreider hype is growing by the day. What can we reasonably expect out of him next year? 50 points?
I don't think 20 goals is out of the question.

Stepan did it.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:43 PM
NYR Viper

I think if he has 40 points that has to be looked at as a success.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
For me, what makes Kreider so interesting as a prospect is the fact that I can't reasonably answer this question. He's so raw that he could come in and put up a 20 point campaign, but he has so many tools that I wouldn't be surprised by a 50 point season either. Just so hard to gauge his potential.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:48 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think if he has 40 points that has to be looked at as a success.
Based on the hype he gets around here, 40 points would definitely not be a "success". I think that's a reasonable prediction for him, but I get the feeling most people on this board expect him to score 30 goals and end up on the top line. These people are probably going to be disappointed

Old
02-29-2012, 02:50 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
For me, what makes Kreider so interesting as a prospect is the fact that I can't reasonably answer this question. He's so raw that he could come in and put up a 20 point campaign, but he has so many tools that I wouldn't be surprised by a 50 point season either. Just so hard to gauge his potential.
That can be said of any prospect. Wasn't Hagelin's potential low end like 10 points in an 82 game season and now we see he could be upwards of a 50 point guy in his first 82 games.

Not that points matter.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:51 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

It's hard to predict points with him, because I don't see him being a big assist guy. He'll be more like Gabby and Cally in that he will score as many or more goals than assists.

But I absolutely think he can be a 20 goal scorer as a rookie. The question is, does he take the next step and become a 30 goal scorer? What about 40?

If he ends up as a 30-35 goal player I will be extremely happy, even if he's only putting up 20 assists a year.

Closed Thread