HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Botta on Chris Kreider (All Kreider discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
If I'm going to speculate on anything about Kreider it's not going to be that he's "bored" with college hockey or something (I think that's flat out BS) and more that he seems like he lacks a bit of a role on the team.

York seems to favor a certain kind of player over him, which I feel like is partly Kreider's fault (he does a lot of standing around without the puck) and I have to say partly coaching for not working with his game better.

But it's all speculation at this point...I would like to see what some pro coaching can do for him, especially with his play away from the puck...you can't stand and watch at the NHL level, you need to be getting into position, whether it's on offense or defense, and Kreider seems to not have had that drilled into him. Then again college hockey tends to be guys just skating all over the place without a lot of attention to the details of positioning

Old
03-06-2012, 01:15 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I think Kreider's been completely misused his entire time at BC. Talk about not getting what you can out of a speed demon with solid hands. "Just make the guy stand in the slot!"

Terrible.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I am actually much more worried about unrealistic expectations.
....With the Rangers fan base, I just except that as a given.

Here is my take for what that's worth: If ( and that is a sizable if, imo) Kreider sees any TOI with the Rangers this spring, Torts and Sully will look to keep things very simple w/him. If even gets on the ice in a Rangers sweater, that would be huge. If he actually contributes that would be a major plus.

The simple fact is that while jumping directly from college to pro is not w/o precedent, it's still pretty rare. So I temper my expectations, having the confidence that comes from watching this organization that they will do the right thing with Kreider.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:24 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

This is going to be Torts' instructions to Kreider:

Old
03-06-2012, 01:31 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
....With the Rangers fan base, I just except that as a given.

Here is my take for what that's worth: If ( and that is a sizable if, imo) Kreider sees any TOI with the Rangers this spring, Torts and Sully will look to keep things very simple w/him. If even gets on the ice in a Rangers sweater, that would be huge. If he actually contributes that would be a major plus.

The simple fact is that while jumping directly from college to pro is not w/o precedent, it's still pretty rare. So I temper my expectations, having the confidence that comes from watching this organization that they will do the right thing with Kreider.
I think he'll play a few preseason games. Then if he does really shine liike most of us hope, he might get a shot at the Rangers. But I have a feeling he will be jumping between CT and NYR

Old
03-06-2012, 01:41 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Anderson had won multiple Cups, he scored big goals, he was fast and he was nasty to play against.
Really? Where was that throughout the playoffs?

Old
03-06-2012, 01:45 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Agreed.

Anderson was done as an effective player when he got to the Rangers and was of minimal importance in the PO's for us.

Old
03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
RonGreschner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Agreed.

Anderson was done as an effective player when he got to the Rangers and was of minimal importance in the PO's for us.
Totally agree. The only reason why he came her was because Mess wanted him.

Old
03-06-2012, 02:02 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think Kreider's been completely misused his entire time at BC. Talk about not getting what you can out of a speed demon with solid hands. "Just make the guy stand in the slot!"

Terrible.
Considering how the Rangers have specifically utilized Hagelin's speed on long passes, I would think it's safe to say that Kreider will be used in the same manner.

Old
03-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Anderson was thought of as a playoff performer from his past experience with the Oilers.

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/ind08Anderson.shtml
Anderson was traded to the New York Rangers for Mike Gartner just before the 1994 playoffs. He joined Mark Messier and other ex-Oilers in winning the Stanley Cup in those playoffs. Of his three goals, two were game winners. At the time, only Maurice Richard had more overtime playoff goals, and only Messier, Gretzky, and Jari Kurri had more playoff points.

I'm sure his relationship with Messier had a lot to do it but I think the Rangers felt he would be a better player in the playoffs than Gartner.

Old
03-06-2012, 02:49 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Anderson was thought of as a playoff performer from his past experience with the Oilers.

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/ind08Anderson.shtml
Anderson was traded to the New York Rangers for Mike Gartner just before the 1994 playoffs. He joined Mark Messier and other ex-Oilers in winning the Stanley Cup in those playoffs. Of his three goals, two were game winners. At the time, only Maurice Richard had more overtime playoff goals, and only Messier, Gretzky, and Jari Kurri had more playoff points.

I'm sure his relationship with Messier had a lot to do it but I think the Rangers felt he would be a better player in the playoffs than Gartner.
The point is out of the 3 big trades that were made in the 93 and 94 seasons that dealt away key offensive players and young stars in the making (Weight, Amonte, Gartner) the only trade that paid dividends was the Weight for Tikkanen deal in 93.

We win that cup without Noonan, Matteau, and Gilbert. Not without Tikkanen.

Old
03-06-2012, 02:55 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The point is out of the 3 big trades that were made in the 93 and 94 seasons that dealt away key offensive players and young stars in the making (Weight, Amonte, Gartner) the only trade that paid dividends was the Weight for Tikkanen deal in 93.

Noonan and Gilbert I'll give you, but Matteau? Maybe without that trade we wouldn't have needed double OT, who knows, but he scored some very big goals for us.

Old
03-06-2012, 02:59 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Here's to hoping Kreider can match Crosby in the playoffs.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:24 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
If I'm going to speculate on anything about Kreider it's not going to be that he's "bored" with college hockey or something (I think that's flat out BS) and more that he seems like he lacks a bit of a role on the team.

York seems to favor a certain kind of player over him, which I feel like is partly Kreider's fault (he does a lot of standing around without the puck) and I have to say partly coaching for not working with his game better.

But it's all speculation at this point...I would like to see what some pro coaching can do for him, especially with his play away from the puck...you can't stand and watch at the NHL level, you need to be getting into position, whether it's on offense or defense, and Kreider seems to not have had that drilled into him. Then again college hockey tends to be guys just skating all over the place without a lot of attention to the details of positioning
Concur with this assessment. Will also help to get him with some linemates that can get him the puck with some regularity and I'm also confident his game will improve when he quickly assimilates or buys into the NYR team identity / game plan.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Noonan and Gilbert I'll give you, but Matteau? Maybe without that trade we wouldn't have needed double OT, who knows, but he scored some very big goals for us.
Pointing out a fluke goal isn't really an indication that Matteau was an offensive juggernaut. I personally believe that the game would not have gone to double OT if the trades were not made, one way or another, but I honestly think they weren't necessary to the Cup win and ended up being detrimental to the team down the line. So I agree with Coldshot here.

But we're getting way OT, sorry.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:

I was replying to question of why would the Rangers make the trade of Anderson/Gartner.
As for whether this trade and others were good or not, I won't speculate other than to say the Rangers won the Cup which is the bottom line.
As for Kreider, I can't wait until he gets here. ;-)

Old
03-07-2012, 05:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jerry York was on a podcast last night

He said Kreider hasn't made a decision yet. He will sit down and the end of the year to make that decision.

http://www.uscho.com/uscho-live/2012...of-uscho-live/

If I were Kreider,I wouldn't be telling my coach anything about my future. Its up to Kreider and his advisor/agent. Plus the Rangers.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:38 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Pointing out a fluke goal isn't really an indication that Matteau was an offensive juggernaut. I personally believe that the game would not have gone to double OT if the trades were not made, one way or another, but I honestly think they weren't necessary to the Cup win and ended up being detrimental to the team down the line. So I agree with Coldshot here.

But we're getting way OT, sorry.
Who said anything about offensive juggernaut? The question was whether we would have won the cup without him. He had 6 goals and 3 assists in 23 playoffs games that year. And he had 2 double overtime goals against the devils, games 3 and 7.

Meanwhile Tikannen, whom he claimed was intregal to our cup run, had 4 goals and 4 assists in 23 games. Matteau was every bit as important to that cup run as Tikannen was.

It's impossible to speculate what would have happened had we not made those trades.

But yes, this is OT, so I'll leave it at that.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Begins at 24:50

York said Kreider has been OK at times. An impact player for most of the season.

York brings up Andrew Luck. He was a redshirt freshman in 2008. Luck still went to school but he didn't lose any eligibility. Luck played in 2009 and 2010. He could have entered the NFL draft as a junior for the 2011 draft but he stayed in school. Luck had only played 2 years. He left Stanford after 3 years of play. Luck could have played at Stanford in 2012 as a redshirt senior.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Kreider made 1st team Hockey East. College Hockey Weekly made the selections.

Quote:
Joining Abbott and Diamond on the first team were Boston College forward Chris Kreider, defenseman Brian Dumoulin of Biddeford and goalie Parker Milner and Boston University defenseman Garrett Noonan.
http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/0...layer-of-year/

Old
03-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Vitto79

sounds like Sather is seriously considering playing Kreider ASAP if he shows he can handle it

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Old
03-07-2012, 07:09 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
sounds like Sather is seriously considering playing Kreider ASAP if he shows he can handle it

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/
OT - Out of that article, this was an adverstisement on the side.

http://www.allamericanfordinhackensa...ograph_Signing

Old
03-07-2012, 07:39 AM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
OT - Out of that article, this was an adverstisement on the side.

http://www.allamericanfordinhackensa...ograph_Signing
Wanna drive there

Old
03-07-2012, 07:58 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Wanna drive there
I work about 5 minutes from there, and live about 20 mins from there.

Old
03-07-2012, 08:12 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Rangers could certainly use Kreider's speed to get behind defenders and gain the puck in the offensive zone, right now.

Closed Thread