HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rockford Ice Hogs and Other Prospects 2011-2012

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

vCash: 500
Another 3 point game for Brandon Saad tonight. (2g+1a). Saginaw lost 6-4.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:42 PM
moose vasko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Mark McNeil is my other favorite. He is what we need. Though he isnt tearing up the WHL, he is doing just fine at above a ppg clip. He isnt going to be a 30 plus scorer at the NHL level most years, but what he can bring to the table is exactly what we lack down the middle: size, grit, and two way play.
Agree. Good scrapper too. He is our best prospect at center. I do not want to see him moved.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Saad's stat line:

GP 34 | G 26 | A 36 | Pts 62 | +/- 27

Simply a beast. So excited to see what he can do in camp next year.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

Pirri with an absolute snipe for the GWG tonight against the Wolves.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:55 PM
MagicSlap*

I will add a bit more about Brandon Saad for the poster who inquired about him. American Dream said a lot of what I had to say about him but I will add about his last season. He struggled the second half due to a nagging injury which I know after speaking to his trainer this summer. It was not due to a lack of heart, effort or skill.

I will echo AD in terms of what Saad brings to the table in that he doesn't possess a flashy skill set. What he does possess is a fantastic hockey IQ which allows him to be in fantastic positioning at all times. He's big and strong so he can do a lot of dirty work and he has a terrific shot. Take the WJC as an example, I watched every game and he seemed to be not a dominant force but the thing is that he was always in the right place. The thing about his game is that it isn't flashy so if he's not scoring you may not notice how good he is. Exactly the case of the world juniors. He's a very safe player but one who can take advantage when the opportunity presets himself.

I fully expect him to be a top line winger or at the very least, a 2nd line player in the NHL. I think he makes the team next year and sticks thoughout. He's a perfect partner for Toews and Kane imo, they're such intelligent players that a line with them can be lethal. Just my two cents.

Old
02-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Saad's stat line:

his +/- is nasty. Just look at the other guys on his team and you see why

Old
02-25-2012, 10:53 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
I will add a bit more about Brandon Saad for the poster who inquired about him. American Dream said a lot of what I had to say about him but I will add about his last season. He struggled the second half due to a nagging injury which I know after speaking to his trainer this summer. It was not due to a lack of heart, effort or skill.

I will echo AD in terms of what Saad brings to the table in that he doesn't possess a flashy skill set. What he does possess is a fantastic hockey IQ which allows him to be in fantastic positioning at all times. He's big and strong so he can do a lot of dirty work and he has a terrific shot. Take the WJC as an example, I watched every game and he seemed to be not a dominant force but the thing is that he was always in the right place. The thing about his game is that it isn't flashy so if he's not scoring you may not notice how good he is. Exactly the case of the world juniors. He's a very safe player but one who can take advantage when the opportunity presets himself.

I fully expect him to be a top line winger or at the very least, a 2nd line player in the NHL. I think he makes the team next year and sticks thoughout. He's a perfect partner for Toews and Kane imo, they're such intelligent players that a line with them can be lethal. Just my two cents.
spot on post.

i think thats what amazes me the most with him; his iq, and positioning. you are always seeing Saad in the right spot at the right time. it is pretty uncanny for a guy his size to be there all the time. I think people are still reluctant to really call this kid a bluechip player because he lacks that superstar skill. he isnt the fastest skater or hardest shooter, but he does everything at an above average level. he is one of the more complete prospects we have had come along in some time, and I believe he will be a Hawk full time next year as well.

the WJC was a cluster **** for the US all around. I watched Saad, focused on him at times, and you are right, the kid was usually hovering around the net, but just couldnt get much of anything going. Saad is a player that if he has a top center, he could be a star, but if he doesnt have a top center, he is still going to be a very solid player because of his iq and positioning. I dont really see a downside with him at all.

he has picked up his physical game this year as well in the OHL, which should make some posters here happy. the kid has the body to be a force, though he still doesnt use it enough, he is laying out players more often then last year in the games I have seen,

Old
02-25-2012, 11:01 AM
clydesdale line

Is Brandon Pirri the new captain for the Hogs?

Old
02-25-2012, 11:21 AM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale line View Post
Is Brandon Pirri the new captain for the Hogs?
No its undecided for now.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:08 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Saad's stat line:

Ties Yakupov in points with 62 and 2 with less games played.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:56 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Ties Yakupov in points with 62 and 2 with less games played.
Who needs the first round pick when you have Saad

Old
02-25-2012, 01:34 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
he has picked up his physical game this year as well in the OHL, which should make some posters here happy. the kid has the body to be a force, though he still doesnt use it enough, he is laying out players more often then last year in the games I have seen,
A couple years ago, I saw him play a game on the U18s against the Steel. Didn't do too much physically until the third when he came out and decided to absolutely wreck every single Steel skater in one shift.

He's definitely got it in him to be a force.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:51 PM
cherrypik

I watch a little of the game last nite but missed the third period but Pirri and Bollig pulled off some bush league BS last nite. Pirri got away with two spears and Bollig tried carving someone's eye out and didn't get a penalty.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
spot on post.

i think thats what amazes me the most with him; his iq, and positioning. you are always seeing Saad in the right spot at the right time. it is pretty uncanny for a guy his size to be there all the time. I think people are still reluctant to really call this kid a bluechip player because he lacks that superstar skill. he isnt the fastest skater or hardest shooter, but he does everything at an above average level. he is one of the more complete prospects we have had come along in some time, and I believe he will be a Hawk full time next year as well.

the WJC was a cluster **** for the US all around. I watched Saad, focused on him at times, and you are right, the kid was usually hovering around the net, but just couldnt get much of anything going. Saad is a player that if he has a top center, he could be a star, but if he doesnt have a top center, he is still going to be a very solid player because of his iq and positioning. I dont really see a downside with him at all.

That couldn't be right. You think he's a more complete prospect than Toews was?

Old
02-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

he said one of the more complete, not the most.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:56 PM
massivegoonery

He also said "some time," which could reasonably be interpreted to mean the last five years.

Old
02-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judrix View Post
he said one of the more complete, not the most.
Good call. I misread the post.

Old
02-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Patkane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
He thinks Nathan Davis has more offensive upside than Toews.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...40&postcount=6

Old
02-25-2012, 03:54 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patkane View Post

Old
02-26-2012, 01:42 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
I think he is certainly one of the best overall players to come along since Toews. It is easy to say that Toews is a superstar now, but noone knew for sure how good he truly would be coming out of college.

I dont think Saad is in Toews level now or ever to be honest, but he certainly is making a case to be the next really good all around player since JT.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:31 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:

Jack Skille as Florida's 2nd line winger, book it! so, how is that going huh?

its very easy to talk about things from years ago on here.....even though you really dont have "years" but things dont always work out like you think. as Skille clearly isnt in Florida's top 6 this year....like you propheted.

I watched both Davis and Toews dozens of times in college, from what I watched then I still stand by what I said. not gonna change a thing. some things turn out good, others not so good, but hey, I got the whole Nathan Davis thing wrong so that must mean I know **** about hockey or players.

a GM drafted Patrick Stefan and Alexander Daigle #1 overall, they got paid to make those picks with experts underneath them, I watch hockey for fun with a beer in my hand....bound to get some things wrong.

Old
02-26-2012, 07:42 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:

The date stamp on that post is '07 when Davis was pounding it for the RedHawks, USA 18 and 20 and before his injuries.

Easy to criticize with the benefit of hindsight.

Old
02-26-2012, 09:06 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Jack Skille as Florida's 2nd line winger, book it! so, how is that going huh?

its very easy to talk about things from years ago on here.....even though you really dont have "years" but things dont always work out like you think. as Skille clearly isnt in Florida's top 6 this year....like you propheted.

I watched both Davis and Toews dozens of times in college, from what I watched then I still stand by what I said. not gonna change a thing. some things turn out good, others not so good, but hey, I got the whole Nathan Davis thing wrong so that must mean I know **** about hockey or players.

a GM drafted Patrick Stefan and Alexander Daigle #1 overall, they got paid to make those picks with experts underneath them, I watch hockey for fun with a beer in my hand....bound to get some things wrong.
The reason you drew so much ire for your claims wasn't just because they were out there. You defended them with such intensity that you came off jerkish.

That wasn't the only thread the legend of Nathan Davis was argued over. It was similar to the insane hatred that Duncan Keith drew from who_me. Taking a stand on a particular debate is one thing. Arguing it tooth and nail and being totally and completely wrong about a player is another.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:

it's not as worse as you with Skille.

He already admited that he was wrong about that... you still defend Skille

still wait to hear how to break a 1-3-1 trap

Old
02-26-2012, 10:46 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
The reason you drew so much ire for your claims wasn't just because they were out there. You defended them with such intensity that you came off jerkish.

That wasn't the only thread the legend of Nathan Davis was argued over. It was similar to the insane hatred that Duncan Keith drew from who_me. Taking a stand on a particular debate is one thing. Arguing it tooth and nail and being totally and completely wrong about a player is another.
its tough love. its a disfunctional family thing on here sometimes.

I am sure I came off as a dick, but like many other regulars on here, that pretty much is the norm.

people focus more on draft position then anything on here, and Davis was a kid that was just showing people wrong, kind of like a Joe Pavelski type player. Sadly injuries absolutely derailed his career, but people mainly remember it because Toews turned out more then just fine, and Davis faded into the sunset.

Toews did have much more talent to play with in college, he really wasnt a prolific scorer, but already was ahead of everyone else in terms of overall game. It seemed that Davis was the centerpiece of the offense at times, while Toews benefited more from a loaded group of guys (Stafford, Zajac, Oshie, Duncan, Porter,Lee, etc).

Closed Thread