HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Could it be the schedule?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2012, 12:18 AM
  #1
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 500
Could it be the schedule?

While the Sharks often have stretches of schedule that are terrible, this year's schedule from beginning to end seems to be one gigiantic disaster. First, early in the season we had almost full weeks between games times when the team needed to play games to gel and assess the new players. Now down the stretch we are playing so many games, not to mention a 9-game roadie with 3 back-to-backs, that relatively short slumps end up causing losses to pile up super quickly, while on the back end we don't have practice days to rest, reset and perhaps most importantly, implement coaching changes and teach the new guys the system!

We are well and truly ****ed by the schedule this year and when you look at how talented the roster is vs. how they are performing, and you hear all the complaints about coaching, you get to wondering if the coaches look like they aren't doing their job because they don't really have the opportunity to do their job. If they wanted to completely overhaul the gameplan, they couldn't because there is not enough practice time to get it done!

Then our coach nearly gets brained and is out for an extended time ... oy vey.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:19 AM
  #2
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug
 
LeeIFBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tanning Bed
Posts: 1,473
vCash: 500
Just sounds like another excuse to me.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:20 AM
  #3
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post
Just sounds like another excuse to me.
What benefit is it to even say that? I am not the coaches, how can it be an excuse?


Last edited by slocal: 03-04-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Calm down.
Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:23 AM
  #4
sharklife25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: College Park, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 216
vCash: 50
Hey juan,

why don't you think about the way they don't work hard?

that has a whole lot more to do with it than the schedule.

every team plays 82 games in the same span of time.

We don't work hard, we don't win. Classic sharks.

sharklife25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:24 AM
  #5
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,042
vCash: 567
I think that it plays a role. The team doesn't have time to practice and work the little things out, or rest and get out some of the soreness, but it cannot be an excuse. The team knew what the schedule would be month ago and should have made preparations.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:28 AM
  #6
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 500
I don't think there is a way to prepare for this, that's my point. It just all lines up to be that exactly what we didn't need is exactly what we are getting.

Now before we use the effort EXCUSE, we have seen this team put in low-effort games for years and they have consistently dominated in the regular season, so effort is not the reason. THAT is an excuse as far as I'm concerned, by observers who are looking for an easy explanation.

But this team is as talented or more than several teams of the past few years. Something else is going wrong.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:30 AM
  #7
rn277
Playoffs Please?
 
rn277's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sacramentoews
Country: United States
Posts: 633
vCash: 500
well to be fair to juan it is a pretty damn screwy schedule.....but this shouldnt be an issue i dont think

rn277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:31 AM
  #8
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton
 
StreetSharks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Frisco
Posts: 5,473
vCash: 327
I still think it's the coaching staff.

Huskins and Nichol were "meh" as Sharks, but kick ass on the Blues roster.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:37 AM
  #9
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,273
vCash: 50
As someone who has seen his own team mysteriously go down in flames when they were in a good position in the standings, I think after a while the only reason that makes sense is that for whatever reason the players have decided that they just don't care. That's what it looked like tonight at times when they were playing the Blues.

Now, the source of them not caring is something that will probably lead to endless debate. Is it the coaches fault? Well, it could be, since the Sharks have been without McLellan since the Wild accidentally gave him a concussion , or it could just be apathy spreading through the locker room.

Regardless, the burden is on the players to show up every night, and when they don't, they don't deserve to wear the uniform that they wear.

A shakeup of some kind is probably in order, but if the players get it through their heads that they are not going to bother showing up and doing what they are paid to do, nothing will bring the team back.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:39 AM
  #10
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
I still think it's the coaching staff.

Huskins and Nichol were "meh" as Sharks, but kick ass on the Blues roster.
Seriously, i don't get this. Why, in the face of overwhelming evidence otherwise, are people so reluctant to accept the coaches are the problem?

Would you really rather it be skill? Or work ethic? I wouldn't. No one had any confidence in Shaw last season, or in Woodcroft in the off-season. Why all of the sudden are we making excuses for them?

Todd is a great assistant coach, but he simply isn't ready to be a head coach yet. Shaw and Woodcroft don't even belong behind a bench period.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:40 AM
  #11
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rn277 View Post
well to be fair to juan it is a pretty damn screwy schedule.....but this shouldnt be an issue i dont think
Why shouldn't it? This schedule is murder, it's not okay. There's a reason most teams don't have schedules like this; it would be a lot easier to make schedules if this was okay. We just got the ********* of **** ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
I still think it's the coaching staff.

Huskins and Nichol were "meh" as Sharks, but kick ass on the Blues roster.
Huskins isn't doing anything special with the blues as compared with the Sharks, other than a .250 shooting %, which gives some credence to the idea that the blues are inordinately lucky this year. Take a look at the goals in this one, 2 are luck goals, 1 was earned but only arguably.

Nichol at this point is putting up worse numbers with the blues than he did with the Sharks.

So no, that is not reality.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:41 AM
  #12
sharklife25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: College Park, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 216
vCash: 50
the problem with the coaching staff explanation is that we're not in the dressing room so we have no idea what wisdom they're imparting upon our soft, impressionable, passion-less sharks...

we played the same way under wilson... i'm not shocked we play the same heartless hockey under a different staff..

i'd rather see us lose 40 games a year and run around like a team possessed that wishes it had talent, than win 50 and look disinterested.

sharklife25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:43 AM
  #13
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
As someone who has seen his own team mysteriously go down in flames when they were in a good position in the standings, I think after a while the only reason that makes sense is that for whatever reason the players have decided that they just don't care. That's what it looked like tonight at times when they were playing the Blues.

Now, the source of them not caring is something that will probably lead to endless debate. Is it the coaches fault? Well, it could be, since the Sharks have been without McLellan since the Wild accidentally gave him a concussion , or it could just be apathy spreading through the locker room.

Regardless, the burden is on the players to show up every night, and when they don't, they don't deserve to wear the uniform that they wear.

A shakeup of some kind is probably in order, but if the players get it through their heads that they are not going to bother showing up and doing what they are paid to do, nothing will bring the team back.
Sorry but the Wild are not comparable to the Sharks in any way shape or form. The Wild were Wild-ly overperforming based on luck and crashed down to earth.

We have pretty much the exact opposite with the Sharks. Well I guess it's comparable in that way.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:45 AM
  #14
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharklife25 View Post
the problem with the coaching staff explanation is that we're not in the dressing room so we have no idea what wisdom they're imparting upon our soft, impressionable, passion-less sharks...

we played the same way under wilson... i'm not shocked we play the same heartless hockey under a different staff..

i'd rather see us lose 40 games a year and run around like a team possessed that wishes it had talent, than win 50 and look disinterested.
I don't see them looking disinterested. I see them lacking confidence in themselves and in their system (rightfully so). When your coach is icing Mitchell for 17 minutes, scratches Demers over White, and refuses to adjust their strategy to even attempt to break the trap...

Let alone the terrible PK. The fact alone that they put that on the players to fix, and when they couldn't (after over half a season) simply implemented a standard box strategy... I mean, good lord, what do they have to do prove their incompetence to you?

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:47 AM
  #15
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,273
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Sorry but the Wild are not comparable to the Sharks in any way shape or form. The Wild were Wild-ly overperforming based on luck and crashed down to earth.

We have pretty much the exact opposite with the Sharks. Well I guess it's comparable in that way.
Well right now our respective teams performances at the beginning of the year are more or less irrelevant. The only thing I know for sure is lately when I watch both the Wild and the Sharks, I see teams that don't care out there on the ice.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:03 AM
  #16
irregardless
Registered Dummy
 
irregardless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 500
No, it is not the scheduling.

If they don't have the time to do their job, maybe Todd should have thought about that before the season started, when he decided his coaching staff was set with just Matt Shaw and Jay Woodcroft.

irregardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:10 AM
  #17
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
No, it is not the scheduling.

If they don't have the time to do their job, maybe Todd should have thought about that before the season started, when he decided his coaching staff was set with just Matt Shaw and Jay Woodcroft.
And that would have created more time ... how? Seriously, am I the only person that still has a brain in this forum? Everyone is just vomiting out insanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Well right now our respective teams performances at the beginning of the year are more or less irrelevant. The only thing I know for sure is lately when I watch both the Wild and the Sharks, I see teams that don't care out there on the ice.
They are quite relevant, pointswise, but also looking inside the stats to see what is actually going on. First off, the Sharks sucked to start the season, similar to how they are sucking now, lack of chemistry. Which is sort of unsurprising given all the long-term injuries and new acquisitions. But it is also why it is so incredibly frustrating to watch the Sharks right now, it's not because they simply aren't that good of a team like the Wild, it's that they are an elite hockey team and are playing well enough to win on most nights, but are losing not just on most nights, but nearly all nights right now.

I don't see a Sharks team that doesn't care, I see one that is just at a loss for answers and incredibly frustrated, just like we are as fans.


Last edited by Phu: 03-04-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:14 AM
  #18
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,461
vCash: 500
It's the NHL and the Ref's.

__________________

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:18 AM
  #19
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
It's the NHL and the Ref's.
The steady decline of the quality of reffing (really a precipitous drop right around the new year) has not helped. And again here the schedule and lack of practice time hurts us -- it's that much harder to implement adjustments.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:31 AM
  #20
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe
 
sharkbite3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seaside, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
Hey man, I agree that the schedule may have something to do with some of the struggles the Sharks have faced. I was just pointing out that right out of the gate you insulted someone, swore at them, etc. just for responding to your first post in the thread. That's no way to carry a discussion.

sharkbite3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:32 AM
  #21
TheDanceOfMaternity
Registered User
 
TheDanceOfMaternity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,341
vCash: 500
They sure as hell are depleted, but you have to be joking if you think you are seeing inspired hockey.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:33 AM
  #22
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,461
vCash: 500
Yeah, every icing call going the Blues way and 2 missed high sticks and another penalty aftwards had nothing to do with it. When you play a team as good as the Blues you just aren't going to win. This isn't the first game and I watched extremely closely to the calls for icing and the Ref's always called in the Blues favor early. It's not a mistake. It's a FIX.

You are likely not coming back against the Blues and the Ref's made sure that they had the best chance of making that happen.

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:35 AM
  #23
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite3 View Post
Hey man, I agree that the schedule may have something to do with some of the struggles the Sharks have faced. I was just pointing out that right out of the gate you insulted someone, swore at them, etc. just for responding to your first post in the thread. That's no way to carry a discussion.
That was not a response, that was an insult. It deserved a stronger reply than it got.
And if you agreed with the premise, why the hell didn't you say so? You want to know what doesn't carry discussion ...

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:36 AM
  #24
slocal
Global Moderator
Grübermeister
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,168
vCash: 500
Let's keep it calm in here. No reason to shred anyone.

__________________

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:37 AM
  #25
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Let's keep it calm in here. No reason to shred anyone.
Indeed, taking an honest attempt at discussion and branding it an "excuse" is extremely rude.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.