HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How does this team compare to the 03 Devils?

Old
02-12-2012, 11:20 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500

I read a Rupp quote and he compared the Rangers to some other teams he played on. Then I remembered that he played on the 03 Devils. I was thinking of making a thread comparing us to the 04 Lightning, because of the shot blocking and Torts, but I wonder if they're closer to the 03 Devils because the 04 Lightning were better offensively. I really thought that was one of the weaker Stanley Cup champions of the decade. We don't have Stevens, Neidermeyer, and Rafalski, but if Staal comes back to form and Sauer returns, I'll take this D against any in the league. Lundqvist hasn't proven as much in the playoffs, but IMO this season he's having isn't any worse than any of Brodeur's. The 03 team's offense wasn't all that special. Our offense is a little thin too. Is this a fair comparison?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:52 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Eh different eras... but the Devils trapped the league into a strangle hold of boredom.

This team is WAY more exciting.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Giacomin

Totally different types of teams. The main thing in common is the great goaltender.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:08 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Don't compare us to that boring trapping team.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:16 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The Rangers are much closer to the 1995 Devils. Great goaltending, a tremendous transition game and a group of seemingly interchangeable players. They play a slightly different system but I cannot get over the similarities.

And, oh yes, the Devils rolled through the playoffs that year (16-4 I think) and won the Stanley Cup.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:11 AM
truebluegoalie

I hate the nonsense of saying lundqvist hasn't proven anything in the playoffs. He is the only reason the rangers haven't been eliminated in four games just about every season since the lockout, especially the two times against the caps. Give him some offense and he would have proven himself to the people who still need proving.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:01 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I hate the nonsense of saying lundqvist hasn't proven anything in the playoffs. He is the only reason the rangers haven't been eliminated in four games just about every season since the lockout, especially the two times against the caps. Give him some offense and he would have proven himself to the people who still need proving.
I agree with this. Cant deny the fact that the Rangers had real problems scoring in the playoffs in the past. Not gonna deny he's had a couple of bad series but he's also had some where if he gave up a goal this team was done. This is really the first season that the Rangers should be going into the playoffs with one of the best teams in the NHL. This is where we should get a good idea of where Hank stands.

Just a quick look at what hes dealt with:

Last season against the Caps other than the 4-3 double OT loss, the Rangers scored 2 goals in the other 3 loses.

08-09 against the Caps in the 4 loses they scored 4 goals and that includes 2 shutouts and a 2-1 loss.

07-08 Rangers scored 19 goals against the Devils and they won in 5 games. Next series against the Pens was Hanks 2nd worst series so far I think. Pens went on to play for the Cup though not an excuse but the Rangers were severely over matched in that series

06-07 Rangers scored 17 goals in a 4 game sweep of Atlanta. Next series against Buffalo was another "bad series" for Hank when he gave up 17 goals in 6 games but the offense also struggled scoring 9 goals in the first 5 games of that series.

05-06 against the Devils was just a nightmare all around for this team but was by far numbers wise Hanks worst series. Not that it would have mattered with Jagr playing with 1 arm and the offense scoring 4 goals in the 4 games.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:05 AM
SnowblindNYR

Compared to Brodeur who was a 2 time Cup winner at the point of the 03 playoffs Lundqvist hasn't proven himself.

BTW, that Pens series he wasn't bad at all. Game 1, the Pens had 3 or 4 lucky bounces for goals. Game 2, he allowed 1 goal. Game 3, he was bad, allowing 5 goals. Game 4, he had a shutout, and game 5 he stood on his head to give the Rangers a chance in overtime. He wasn't bad at all that series and had 1 bad game. The second Devils series, despite bad bounces I thought he was a bit worse, even though we won 4-1, our offense carried us. Thankfully Brodeur wa awful that series.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Compared to Brodeur who was a 2 time Cup winner at the point of the 03 playoffs Lundqvist hasn't proven himself.
Right. Because goalies are the only ones who win championships in a TEAM sport. :

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:37 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:

BTW, that Pens series he wasn't bad at all. Game 1, the Pens had 3 or 4 lucky bounces for goals. Game 2, he allowed 1 goal. Game 3, he was bad, allowing 5 goals. Game 4, he had a shutout, and game 5 he stood on his head to give the Rangers a chance in overtime. He wasn't bad at all that series and had 1 bad game. The second Devils series, despite bad bounces I thought he was a bit worse, even though we won 4-1, our offense carried us. Thankfully Brodeur wa awful that series.
My point was for the most part in the series that they've lost there offense has been none existent. In 8 loses against the Caps they've scored 9 goals and 6 of those were in 2 games. Hard for a goalie to carry a team like that. Certainly doesnt justify the label people are putting on him

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:47 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Right. Because goalies are the only ones who win championships in a TEAM sport. :
No, but, until Lundqvist goes beyond round two, he doesn't have that experience.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:51 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The Rangers are much closer to the 1995 Devils. Great goaltending, a tremendous transition game and a group of seemingly interchangeable players. They play a slightly different system but I cannot get over the similarities.

And, oh yes, the Devils rolled through the playoffs that year (16-4 I think) and won the Stanley Cup.
I believe this is probably the best comparison of any Cup winning team in the past 25 years. The key being the young defense, solid goaltending and interchangeable parts through out the lineup. Would love to sweep Detroit in the finals like they did!

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:56 AM
MSG the place to be*

We are on pace to be tied for the third most points in the post-lockout era. Are you not entertained?

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
No, but, until Lundqvist goes beyond round two, he doesn't have that experience.
You gotta start somewhere, right?

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:12 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
I read a Rupp quote and he compared the Rangers to some other teams he played on. Then I remembered that he played on the 03 Devils. I was thinking of making a thread comparing us to the 04 Lightning, because of the shot blocking and Torts, but I wonder if they're closer to the 03 Devils because the 04 Lightning were better offensively. I really thought that was one of the weaker Stanley Cup champions of the decade. We don't have Stevens, Neidermeyer, and Rafalski, but if Staal comes back to form and Sauer returns, I'll take this D against any in the league. Lundqvist hasn't proven as much in the playoffs, but IMO this season he's having isn't any worse than any of Brodeur's. The 03 team's offense wasn't all that special. Our offense is a little thin too. Is this a fair comparison?
I would say a pretty good comparison by Rupp, though if this team could get the PP going it would be a different story. However if you look at the numbers Rupp is pretty dead on, while that Devils team finished in the 8th spot, both teams were middle of the pack in GF, Devils #14, NYR currently #12 but both teams had a great + goal differential even with their pedestrian GF #'s.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:14 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I would say a pretty good comparison by Rupp, though if this team could get the PP going it would be a different story. However if you look at the numbers Rupp is pretty dead on, while that Devils team finished in the 8th spot, both teams were middle of the pack in GF, Devils #14, NYR currently #12 but both teams had a great + goal differential even with their pedestrian GF #'s.
Rupp didn't compare this team to the 03 team. He compared us favorably to some other teams he played with. I just thought ogf that 03 team when I read his quote.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Rupp didn't compare this team to the 03 team. He compared us favorably to some other teams he played with. I just thought ogf that 03 team when I read his quote.
then good choice to compare by you, regardless of who brought it up...both teams are strong defensively with timely scoring.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:37 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
then good choice to compare by you, regardless of who brought it up...both teams are strong defensively with timely scoring.
What do you mean the Devils finished in the 8th spot? 8th spot in what?

Old
02-13-2012, 02:04 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
What do you mean the Devils finished in the 8th spot? 8th spot in what?
That's what I get for multi-tasking should have been 2nd spot in the Conference that season

Old
02-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:

They don't smell like New Jersey?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

We don't smell like swamp goo. and we don't trap like a mofo.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote