HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter May Want Out of Columbus. Interested?

Old
11-17-2011, 07:00 PM
glassjaw*

vCash: 500

Apparently, Jeff Carter has asked for a trade.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:05 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Injury concerns + eternity-long contract = no go. It would be a ballsy move on our part though.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:41 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Injury concerns + eternity-long contract = no go. It would be a ballsy move on our part though.
Please, no.
Carter is not what this team needs.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:02 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Carter for Leino.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:50 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
Apparently, Jeff Carter has asked for a trade.
Do you have a link for this?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:54 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Do you have a link for this?
Quote:
renhockey Rumor that #bluejackets Jeff Carter ask for a trade. His agent said not true. That's my story on rds.ca sorry if I did put it in english 2.
http://twitter.com/renhockey/status/137321198513172480

He's from RDS.
The story he's referring to is here.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:59 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
http://twitter.com/renhockey/status/137321198513172480

He's from RDS.
The story he's referring to is here.
Thanks.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:

I'm surprised no one has latched onto the idea of moving Roy for Carter.

11-18-2011, 11:15 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It would be pointless. Both are similar players, just Carter is a better goal scorer and Roy is better defensively. And it wouldn't add to out center depth. Plus, Roy's contract is better.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
It would be pointless. Both are similar players, just Carter is a better goal scorer and Roy is better defensively. And it wouldn't add to out center depth. Plus, Roy's contract is better.
The defensive part is open for debate. It would shuffle the Sabres old core and the cap hit is minimally more.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:19 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
The defensive part is open for debate. It would shuffle the Sabres old core and the cap hit is minimally more.
But then you're strapped with Carter seemingly forever--especially once his NTC kicks in (I presume it hasn't already).

I just don't see the point honestly. Carter for Stafford makes more sense--turning wing depth into center depth.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:27 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
When has being pointless ever stopped a trade from being pushed.

Stafford for Carter. Then we can have the 3 center line. Leino/Roy/Carter

Old
11-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Meh.
IMO if the Sabres are to compete with the Pens, Caps, Wings, Sharks, Boston, over a best-of-7 series they need to add a top-6 proven center without giving up/losing Roy.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Meh.
IMO if the Sabres are to compete with the Pens, Caps, Wings, Sharks, Boston, over a best-of-7 series they need to add a top-6 proven center without giving up/losing Roy.
Having one and acquiring another do not preclude each other from happening.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
When cap hits are taken into account, it's a pretty lateral move. At the very least, we know Roy likes it in Buffalo. Given his initial reaction to the trade and now more pouting 20 games into the season, one has to wonder about whether Carter would become a malcontent in Buffalo. Ignoring that for a moment, though, there are a couple packages that I'd be willing to part with for Carter (some of these actually suggested by CBJ fans).

1) Sekera + Gragnani + Boyes + 2012 1st + 2013 1st for Carter + Martinek. Ignoring the ridiculous position of the individual who proposed the same exact trade sans Boyes and Martinek, then wouldn't do the deal once those two were added--even though Boyes brings back a far better asset at the deadline than does Martinek--this works capwise for Buffalo. I'm shocked that CBJ poster didn't demand Enroth, Ennis, or Stafford. If Howson offers this, I accept immediately before CBJ ownership inevitably cans him. That gives us three potent top-9 scoring lines: V-A-P, E-R-S, L-C-and either Kassian or Gerbe.

2) Enroth + Sekera + Boyes + 2012 1st + 2013 2nd for Carter + Martinek. Replacing Gragnani and 2013 1st with Enroth + 2013 2nd.

3) Stafford + Sekera + 2012 CGY 2nd for Carter. I'd do it.

I don't like parting with Sekera, but I can't imagine Howson not wanting a young top-4 defenseman in any such deal for Carter, and Myers, Ehrhoff, and Regehr aren't going anywhere, for various reasons. While I think Carter is on the softer side, he puts up good numbers against tough competition, and I'd enjoy a center corps of Carter-Roy-Adam-Goose.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
When has being pointless ever stopped a trade from being pushed.

Stafford for Carter. Then we can have the 3 center line. Leino/Roy/Carter
Since when is one post "pushed"?

Old
11-18-2011, 11:51 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Pushing the idea that it takes more than one post to push something on HF

Old
11-18-2011, 11:57 AM
joshjull

Quote:
I wasn't talking about you or your proposal. I was talking about the general idea that a trade wouldn't be pushed, particularly to move out Roy, just because many would view it as pointless. Many have pushed some pretty ridiculous one side trades just to be rid of Roy. When it comes to Roy, some dont ever think moving him out, regardless of return, as being pointless.

Old
11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
When cap hits are taken into account, it's a pretty lateral move. At the very least, we know Roy likes it in Buffalo. Given his initial reaction to the trade and now more pouting 20 games into the season, one has to wonder about whether Carter would become a malcontent in Buffalo. Ignoring that for a moment, though, there are a couple packages that I'd be willing to part with for Carter (some of these actually suggested by CBJ fans).

1) Sekera + Gragnani + Boyes + 2012 1st + 2013 1st for Carter + Martinek. Ignoring the ridiculous position of the individual who proposed the same exact trade sans Boyes and Martinek, then wouldn't do the deal once those two were added--even though Boyes brings back a far better asset at the deadline than does Martinek--this works capwise for Buffalo. I'm shocked that CBJ poster didn't demand Enroth, Ennis, or Stafford. If Howson offers this, I accept immediately before CBJ ownership inevitably cans him. That gives us three potent top-9 scoring lines: V-A-P, E-R-S, L-C-and either Kassian or Gerbe.

2) Enroth + Sekera + Boyes + 2012 1st + 2013 2nd for Carter + Martinek. Replacing Gragnani and 2013 1st with Enroth + 2013 2nd.

3) Stafford + Sekera + 2012 CGY 2nd for Carter. I'd do it.

I don't like parting with Sekera, but I can't imagine Howson not wanting a young top-4 defenseman in any such deal for Carter, and Myers, Ehrhoff, and Regehr aren't going anywhere, for various reasons. While I think Carter is on the softer side, he puts up good numbers against tough competition, and I'd enjoy a center corps of Carter-Roy-Adam-Goose.
I really think trading Sekera is a bad idea.

We should trade Roy for Carter

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:22 PM
joshjull

If Carter is really asking for a trade. Then he is essentially quitting on the Jackets when times are tough. Not a very encouraging reaction to his first time as the clearcut #1 center on a team. He could hide in Philly and let others work them out of a slump. But in Columbus he is the man at center. Is fighting through this horrible start and laying the groundwork for future success that overwhelming to him?

That should make one pause about acquiring him.

Last edited by joshjull: 11-18-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old
11-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
If Carter is really asking for a trade. Then he is essentially quitting on the Jackets when times are tough. Not a very encouraging reaction to his first time as the cleacut #1 center on a team. He could hide in Philly. Is fighting through this horrible start and laying the groundwork for future success that overwhelming to him?

That should make one pause about acquiring him.
Absolutely.

If Carter is traded, the team acquiring him is taking a big risk, as he comes with a boatload of baggage...

it's a coin flip... maybe he busts out as nothing more Wayne Primeau with actual skill... or maybe he figures it out, and he's Keith Primeau with more skill

Old
11-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I really think trading Sekera is a bad idea.
We should trade Roy for Carter
I don't like trading him, either. But I think it's far easier to replace a #3 defenseman than it is to replace a 70+ point center. If we want to win a Stanley Cup in the near future, we're going to have to beat teams like Pittsburgh (Crosby-Malkin-Staal), Philadelphia (Giroux-Briere-Schenn/Couturier), and Boston (about half their forward corps)--not to mention some of the arsenals in the WC-- that boast great center depth. While I'm not sure that Carter-Roy-Adam-Goose are better than any of those groups, that's very good depth and a very productive group. I think Leopold can hold his own in the top-4 with Myers-Regehr-Ehrhoff for the duration of his contract, and we've spent a lot of resources drafting and developing many young defensemen. And that's before we even consider the UFA and trade markets. As you said in the trade thread, acquiring guys like Carter (and Roy, for that matter) is extremely difficult. While I've loved Sekera's growth over the last 13 months, I think he's more easily replaceable given what we have on hand, what we have coming up, and what our budget would allow us to acquire in UFA.

And hey, I'd love it if CBJ wanted to do a deal around Stafford + 1st rounder + 2nd rounder + prospect. But that's just wishful thinking, and I think they'd demand Sekera be a part of any such deal.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I don't like trading him, either. But I think it's far easier to replace a #3 defenseman than it is to replace a 70+ point center. If we want to win a Stanley Cup in the near future, we're going to have to beat teams like Pittsburgh (Crosby-Malkin-Staal), Philadelphia (Giroux-Briere-Schenn/Couturier), and Boston (about half their forward corps)--not to mention some of the arsenals in the WC-- that boast great center depth. While I'm not sure that Carter-Roy-Adam-Goose are better than any of those groups, that's very good depth and a very productive group. I think Leopold can hold his own in the top-4 with Myers-Regehr-Ehrhoff for the duration of his contract, and we've spent a lot of resources drafting and developing many young defensemen. And that's before we even consider the UFA and trade markets. As you said in the trade thread, acquiring guys like Carter (and Roy, for that matter) is extremely difficult. While I've loved Sekera's growth over the last 13 months, I think he's more easily replaceable given what we have on hand, what we have coming up, and what our budget would allow us to acquire in UFA.

And hey, I'd love it if CBJ wanted to do a deal around Stafford + 1st rounder + 2nd rounder + prospect. But that's just wishful thinking, and I think they'd demand Sekera be a part of any such deal.
I think it's a riskier move to trade a guy locked up at 2.75 for 4 years, who is playing a top 4 role, and being developed towards the end of last year and this year to be your franchise d-man's partner...

Roy is gone in less then 2 years... Do you want to re-sign Roy at 6+ per for 5+ years ?

I still think Carter is a huge risk/reward type of move... regardless of who you trade for him

Old
11-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Jame
Dream '16

... and if we aren't planning to pay Roy as a top tier #1 center in 2013, then we should definitely be looking to move him this year, rather then letting his trade value plummet when he enters the final year of his contract.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:18 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
... and if we aren't planning to pay Roy as a top tier #1 center in 2013, then we should definitely be looking to move him this year, rather then letting his trade value plummet when he enters the final year of his contract.
I disagree.

Even if they didn't want to pay Roy in 2 years, you keep him. Because the goal is to win a Cup, and these 2 years they are going to be in the picture. (I'm assuming that you don't just make a lateral move because the other team would need a reason for it, and I'd be really weary of Jeff Carter as the top center).

Ultimately, I think Roy will be re-signed. They'll be able to free up salary on defense (Leopold/Regehr, although maybe Regehr gets re-signed), plus throw in a hometown Pegula discount and cap increase, and I can see him signing around 5M.

It'll be interesting to see if they ink him to an extension this offseason. Of course, we'll see how the team performs when it matters first.