HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres' Adam learning how to deal with failure

Old
02-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Slapshot85

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
the 1st part of this is dead on. the 2nd part is a result of some unforeseen events (hecht being injured all the time which forced others to be centers, leino sucking hard at center, adam sucking there eventually, ennis experiment, etc). but yeah, i have no clue what the **** goes through lindy's head when he makes line changes. hey, leino roy and pominville were a good line when vanek went down. oh vanek's back. i could put him with ennis and stafford and reunite the gerbe-goose-kaleta line that was effective as an energy line. no, that's dumb. let's put vanek with roy even though that hasn't worked much this year and then put leino with gaustad and kaleta. cause all forwards in the system are like interchangeable parts!
Excuse some of my spelling errors in my previous post.

I agree with you; Other good teams have to juggle lines when guys get hurt, but they manage to do it, for the most part, with a rational, long-term (no line changes period-to-period) approach.

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Couple of things. Ennis isn't a natural center. He was a shoot first player (usually winger) in Junior but has slowly transitioned into more of a playmaker at the pro ranks. His offensive game right now is better suited down the middle but if he ever decided to start shooting like he used to, he will be better on the wing by far.

Someone on here apparently had a discussion about Adam with Kevin Devine a summer or two ago and the consensus then was that Adam would be much more successful at wing than at center. And seriously people, it's really really hard to argue with that. People around here didn't want Jeff Carter because he wasn't a playmaking center. Well Luke Adam is a much slower, slightly smaller, much worse defensively, less talented version of Jeff Carter. He got thrown into a situation he shouldn't have been in to start the season if this organization had any sort of center depth. I think Regier and Ruff got sucked into the Jason Pominville trap where he can mesh well with just about anyone and thought they could ride it until the center disaster fixed itself. My hope that Adam at center was just to see what could happen and he will be back with the team next year as a winger with some real centers on the roster. I don't think he needs to be on the roster for the rest of the year, let him help the Amerks secure a playoff spot.

Devine was interviewed this past summer and it was on WGR.

-Devine didn't say he personally felt Adam would be a winger in the NHL. In fact quite the opposite. Devine said Adam has the potential to be a #1 or #2 center with his size and skill.

-There also wasn't a consensus in the hockey department that he would be better at wing than center. There were a few in the hockey department that felt that way but it wasn't a consensus.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
-Devine didn't say he personally felt Adam would be a winger in the NHL. In fact quite the opposite. Devine said Adam has the potential to be a #1 or #2 center with his size and skill.
You mean he said these things a few weeks before Adam was going to be at least the #2 center for the team? Because its the opposite of what he supposedly told someone at dev camp two years ago. Is this the hockey department that said Ville Leino would be a stellar center? Maybe that's the REAL problem with the team because honestly I can't name one thing about Adam that is center material.

Sucks at face-offs. Check.
Average to slightly below average NHL speed. Check.
Average NHL playmaking ability. Check.
Head on a swivel in the defensive zone. Check.
Head on a swivel in the neutral zone. Check.
Head on a swivel in the offensive zone without the puck. Check.
Extremely potent and accurate shot... Future #1 Center folks!

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:32 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
You mean he said these things a few weeks before Adam was going to be at least the #2 center for the team? Because its the opposite of what he supposedly told someone at dev camp two years ago. Is this the hockey department that said Ville Leino would be a stellar center? Maybe that's the REAL problem with the team because honestly I can't name one thing about Adam that is center material.

Sucks at face-offs. Check.
Average to slightly below average NHL speed. Check.
Average NHL playmaking ability. Check.
Head on a swivel in the defensive zone. Check.
Head on a swivel in the neutral zone. Check
Head on a swivel in the offensive zone without the puck. Check.
Extremely potent and accurate shot... Future #1 Center folks!
Wrong again. Devine made those comments prior to the draft last year. Adam wasn't being considered for a top 6 center spot in mid June (June 21st to be exact). The top 2 centers were going to be Hecht and Roy. Adam only got a chance because those two got hurt at the start of camp which was almost 3 months later. Up until then Adam's likely starting point for the season was Rochester.

As for the supposed comments Devine made a few years ago at dev camp. Do you really need to be told that players are constantly being evaluated and opinions will/can change from year to year as they develop. I don't expect you to accept this because you've had a hard on about him not being a center since the summer.

Adam had almost no defensive game coming out of juniors. It was well known he had to fix that part of his game before he was going to be ready for the NHL as a center. He played one year in the AHL. Do you actually think that was long enough time to compeltely fix his defensive game? It has gotten better but its still not good enough. Sending him back down will allow him to get back to work on that aspect of his game as well as getting his confidence back. If he can't get his defensive game squared away. Then he will likely end up on the wing. But its WAY too early to give up on him as a center.

Many on this board aren't able to grasp the fact that some players take time to develop. Offensive centers can take a little longer than most. Adam is just 21 and only in his 2nd pro season. Give it a few more years before throwing in the towel. Its not his fault management couldn't get NHL centers and he started the season in Buffalo.

If a we draft a center in the top 5 or 10 in the upcoming draft. I can see it getting real ugly in a few years if he has any bumps on the road. Some fans have zero patience for setbacks.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-15-2012 at 07:48 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote