HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Philadelphia - Nashville

Old
02-13-2012, 03:24 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Struck me as odd too. His cap hit is 6.5, but his actually salary for the next 3 seasons totals only 12 million. Even if Nashville intends to spend more, it would surprise me to see them being an annual "cap" team. Briere is pretty much a 1C on the Preds.
I do not think Nashville is looking to add a 34 year old #1 center. Briere is a better player than Arnott, but it would still be taking a step back. If Poile is going to go after a top line center I would rather him look elsewhere.

Also, Barry Trotz himself said during a radio interview that the owners have informed him the team will be looking to spend to the cap in the future, starting next season. It may not happen, but it is the intention.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:26 PM
McNasty

So we get Suter for Briere and an expiring Matt Carle, and with this market (sadly) Carle isn't going to make that much less than Suter.

There's simply no way to pry Suter without Schenn, Couturier, or Read +1st rounder. At that price I don't go after him when they can take a run at signing him while keeping all those assets.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:27 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I do not think Nashville is looking to add a 34 year old #1 center. Briere is a better player than Arnott, but it would still be taking a step back. If Poile is going to go after a top line center I would rather him look elsewhere.

Also, Barry Trotz himself said during a radio interview that the owners have informed him the team will be looking to spend to the cap in the future, starting next season. It may not happen, but it is the intention.
If that is true, then you should have no problem locking up Suter. The only reason I can see him leaving is because Nashville does not spend to the cap. Honestly, I hope this to be true......

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:49 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
If that is true, then you should have no problem locking up Suter. The only reason I can see him leaving is because Nashville does not spend to the cap. Honestly, I hope this to be true......
Money isn't a problem. They have had terms of a contract done since Thanksgiving. Suter's main issue is keeping people around. Rinne was a good start. There has to be movement on the Weber front. But it also goes to guys like Wilson, and other young guys. He does not want to be part of a youth movement every year.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Money isn't a problem. They have had terms of a contract done since Thanksgiving. Suter's main issue is keeping people around. Rinne was a good start. There has to be movement on the Weber front. But it also goes to guys like Wilson, and other young guys. He does not want to be part of a youth movement every year.
Where is a link for this. Not too long ago Suter's agent was in Nashville to discuss contract with Poille. It wasn't that long ago. I haven't heard anything about Weber either. I would be concerned if I was Nahsville fans. Just like I would be if I was a devils fan. They are getting close to hitting the open market and both won't negotiate contract in season.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Flgatorguy87

Those comments to the above poster stating that we came to terms with Suter last Fall are nothing more than speculation. I actually remember a recent radio interview with Poile, and he said they have not discussed the actual details of the contract very much. It seems that Suter is first concerned with the direction of the franchise. I am a Nashville fan, but I am also honest with myself. I am scared to death that Suter will walk....then Weber will walk....then our brick wall goalie doesn't look so Vezina worthy when he looses 2 top 5 D-men in front of him. I say all of that to think the way we can try to avoid that, would be trade Suter now and get a young top 6 forward who still has room to grow. Briere is not that guy, but JVR certainly could be a part of that package. I have played through numerous options in my head over and over again. The thing that I keep coming back to is the point that if Suter has these "demands" for team improvement, what does he exactly expect? What if Nashville dumps a bunch of futures and current prospects for a player like Carter, Nash, or Ryan. Well what if we then loose in the second round like we did last year, because we get cut in half by the Detroit buzzsaw. So we just sold our future for this season...made no progress...and now Suter isn't satisfied with the direction of the team. If he isn't satisfied with being in Nashville, and having his teammates work hard for him, in front of a loud sell out crowd, in a growing beautiful city, then thats fine. He just needs to tell us what it is he wants, so that we can either trade him because he isn't reasonable or give him his demands. I am tired of hearing about this.

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:06 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

While I do think both Suter and Weber feel the team is close enough this year to go for it if the opportunity presents itself, I also think that if a move is made to bring in a young forward like Carter or Ryan (not likely, but Fl mentioned those two) it would show both Weber and Suter that Nashville is committed to building a long term Cup contender. Going deep into the play offs or winning the Cup would certainly help, but I think it's more about those two wanting to make sure they don't tie themselves to the same team that saw Hamhuis, Timonen, Hartnell, Kariya, Vokoun, etc shipped out or let walk because the money wasn't there (of course, all but one of those players left in the summer of 07 when the team was being sold and looked to be moving). That's why I think Poile has some cushion here. The risk exists, but it is softened by a young group of good players who need just another piece or two in order to compete for seasons to come. It's all about that move existing, Poile pulling the trigger, and then the owners putting their money where their mouths are.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Flgatorguy87

So then why doesn't Suter see the bigger picture, that the last 3 months of this season aren't going to determine whether or not we are a constant in the hockey world or not. The big picture really says that he should resign, and then in probably 2 more years we are looking to peek. This was never suppose to be our year, so why should this FA market decide his fate. I am a skeptic by nature, its what I do for a living, but it sounds like a line of bullspit to me.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:24 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

It might be crap, but the only reasoning that makes sense is these two have seen a bunch of players, stars and role players alike, leave once they priced themselves out of Nashville's range. They each know if they sign lucrative deals the team will pretty much have to spend to the cap in order to continue to be successful. This is something that has never been done in Nashville. Just as you are skeptical of their intentions to re-sign, they are undoubtedly skeptical of Nashville's ability to spend like a cap team. I do not blame either of them one bit if this is how they see it. If the team is going to hover around the $49m mark, they each take Rinne-like deals, and the team has $21m tied up in three players, what kind of team can be iced unless the wallets open? It's a legitimate concern. Not to mention the last time the team "went for it" it nearly moved. I'm sure that whole ordeal made quite an impression on those two since they were so young when it happened.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Flgatorguy87

I agree, but I also think the fact that proves they want to spend is that they are negotiating with Suter, have paid Weber even though it was arbitration, but also paid Rinne. Why would a team who is not looking to spend, want to spend 21m on 3 players? I guess you could say if you lock up those 3 you probably could throw a handful of journeyman/low cap/garbage players at the roster and probably make the playoffs about half the seasons..but I don't think thats the case. The ownership isn't exactly rolling in the dough, so why would they be satisfied with status quo? They want to see us thrive because they see the opportunity for money.

Anyways..I don't like getting too much into what will happen because so much of it is opinion. Thats the part that makes me frustrated. My opinion is that I feel behind closed doors Poile should know exactly what Suter is expecting. He should have bullet points laid out that have demands or expectations. I also know that Poile very well could have this taken care of. I just don't feel confident that this process has happened, and that is where I question Suter. I don't trust that cat, and I don't think its his resposibility to run the organization. I know I know its his decision to play where he wants to be successful, but he can't go around challenging and demanding things.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

What a TERRIBLE deal for the Preds

Something like Carle, JVR, 1st rounder, + prospect might work.

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Remember, Brett Wilson, a Canadian billionaire, joined the ownership group in mid-November. Also, money from non-hockey events can go back into the team. The Bridge is among the busiest arenas in the world. On top of that, corporate support has increased quite a bit, and attendance has continued to increase (averaging 96.9% capacity this season). This may not be a rich organization, but it has steadily been turning into an organization that can spend more and more money on players without worrying about going broke.

These guys are not Craig Leipold. They are savvy businessmen who have earned their own personal fortunes through various business ventures. They know how to calculate risks. They know how to grow businesses in this area. They have a network that Leipold could never build. They also have the aforementioned billionaire on their side. BTW, he actually likes the Preds in Nashville

Old
02-13-2012, 07:53 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Nashville is likely more dangerous this playoffs with Weber-Carle + Briere in your top 6than with Weber-Suter and your current top 6. Briere led the league in points 2 years ago in the playoffs. He is WITHOUT QUESTION the Flyers best playoff performer. Check my avatar, I am a huge Briere fan, I did NOT throw him in for scraps. I put him there because he is exactly what Nashville needs to compete against the Detroits of the West.

Anyway, it appears to get Suter, Nashville will want us to give up our future for a "chance" at re-signing him. No thanks.
I didn't mean Briere was scrap, even though that's pretty much what it looked like I posted.

It was more of a rebuttal to those who seem to insist that we should take garbage for Suter simply to avoid losing him as a UFA.

Keeping him for what could be and what we hope is a long playoff run is better than trading him for scraps because we might lose him later.

FWIW, if I knew that Suter wouldn't be back, I'd want Briere/Coburn, at least both of those would help us for future years.

Trading a UFA d-man because he might bolt for another UFA d-man makes no sense for us.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:54 PM
RetiredFlyer
Rookie User

Briere to Nashville does make sense, if Briere would waive, given the whole playoff clutch thing and the fact that Nashville is clearly much better equipped to make a deep run this year than the Flyers.

But the return would not be Suter. It would be something more like Blum.

I would probably do something like Briere for Blum. And perhaps that trade would open up the opportunity for a Suter trade in the offseason if he does indeed plan to go to free agency and leave Nashville.

RetiredFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFlyer View Post
Briere to Nashville does make sense, if Briere would waive, given the whole playoff clutch thing and the fact that Nashville is clearly much better equipped to make a deep run this year than the Flyers.

But the return would not be Suter. It would be something more like Blum.

I would probably do something like Briere for Blum. And perhaps that trade would open up the opportunity for a Suter trade in the offseason if he does indeed plan to go to free agency and leave Nashville.
I'm on board for Briere for Blum. I have nothing against Briere, maybe he is a little pricey on the cap, (big deal for Nashville...sarcasm) but the reason he would never be the centerpiece for a Suter trade would be the fact that we would be trying to add Briere to a team that included Suter, not swap them out.

Blummer for Briere :thumbsup:

Old
02-14-2012, 12:49 AM
BrindamoursNose

No trading Briere.

The goal is to win the Cup and taking Briere out puts you further away from obtaining that goal.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Accelleratii

Bad trade. I've been a Carle supporter since he was a rookie in San Jose and FINALLY an article that statistically backs him up. Matt Carle, while paired with a ROOKIE, is having a comparable year to Ryan Suter who is paired with Shea Weber.

http://thehockeyguys.net/matt-carle-vs-ryan-suter/

Accelleratii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Accelleratii

I think a trade around Kevin Klein for Jakub Voracek would be a good start.

Accelleratii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelleratii View Post
Bad trade. I've been a Carle supporter since he was a rookie in San Jose and FINALLY an article that statistically backs him up. Matt Carle, while paired with a ROOKIE, is having a comparable year to Ryan Suter who is paired with Shea Weber.

http://thehockeyguys.net/matt-carle-vs-ryan-suter/
I'm pretty sure it's very possible to write an article based on stats that proves Suter is 10x the D-man compared to Carle.

Hockey, thank god, is so much more than stats. I've watched Carle every single game for the past 2 years and he is nowhere NEAR Suter's qualities. Not in the D-zone. Not in the O-zone. Sure, if it makes you happier to actually believe what the hack Leed managed to put together is the absolute truth, good for you.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadude View Post
What a TERRIBLE deal for the Preds

Something like Carle, JVR, 1st rounder, + prospect might work.
Hmm not for that type of UFA and not from the Flyers. If it was Weber I'd cosider but not for Suter.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:10 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I really want to get Suter/Weber, but am I the only one that wants to hang onto Danny Briere? He's a leader in the locker room and off the ice, considering the role he's played getting Giroux to where he is (and now he's grooming Couturier). Combine that with his clutch playoff performances and his age/declining trade value and you get the recipe for a veteran that you keep.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
I really want to get Suter/Weber, but am I the only one that wants to hang onto Danny Briere? He's a leader in the locker room and off the ice, considering the role he's played getting Giroux to where he is (and now he's grooming Couturier). Combine that with his clutch playoff performances and his age/declining trade value and you get the recipe for a veteran that you keep.
Doesn't really matter what we want, not even what Homer wants. Briere has his kids and ex-wife in Philly, he's not going anywhere.

Old
02-14-2012, 07:31 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorguy87 View Post
Those comments to the above poster stating that we came to terms with Suter last Fall are nothing more than speculation. I actually remember a recent radio interview with Poile, and he said they have not discussed the actual details of the contract very much. It seems that Suter is first concerned with the direction of the franchise. I am a Nashville fan, but I am also honest with myself. I am scared to death that Suter will walk....then Weber will walk....then our brick wall goalie doesn't look so Vezina worthy when he looses 2 top 5 D-men in front of him. I say all of that to think the way we can try to avoid that, would be trade Suter now and get a young top 6 forward who still has room to grow. Briere is not that guy, but JVR certainly could be a part of that package. I have played through numerous options in my head over and over again. The thing that I keep coming back to is the point that if Suter has these "demands" for team improvement, what does he exactly expect? What if Nashville dumps a bunch of futures and current prospects for a player like Carter, Nash, or Ryan. Well what if we then loose in the second round like we did last year, because we get cut in half by the Detroit buzzsaw. So we just sold our future for this season...made no progress...and now Suter isn't satisfied with the direction of the team. If he isn't satisfied with being in Nashville, and having his teammates work hard for him, in front of a loud sell out crowd, in a growing beautiful city, then thats fine. He just needs to tell us what it is he wants, so that we can either trade him because he isn't reasonable or give him his demands. I am tired of hearing about this.
Great post. I can feel the passion in the above. That is why I said above that I hope Suter does sign in Nashville, because honestly, Nashville deserves to be a contender. Great city, great hockey market. If Ryan Suter walks as a UFA and Nashville gets nothing, it will be a shame.

Old
02-14-2012, 07:39 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Doesn't really matter what we want, not even what Homer wants. Briere has his kids and ex-wife in Philly, he's not going anywhere.
Sounds like you just made an argument for why Briere will want to leave

Old
02-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Sounds like you just made an argument for why Briere will want to leave
Why? Just because they're divorced doesn't mean they hate eachother.
Let's not get into Briere's personal life here, it's just an all-around accepted fact that Briere isn't going anywhere soon.