HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The All Things Parise Thread (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boring Trap View Post
Stepan and Parise on the same line = Stanley Cup
Put them with Callahan and Homer Joe will tell you it's the best American line of all time.

Old
02-13-2012, 05:34 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Hiemer View Post
They work out together in the summer in Minnesota. Replacement for Travis.
That was my thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Put them with Callahan and Homer Joe will tell you it's the best American line of all time.

Still can't believe he said that. Joe makes Chico enjoyable to listen to.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

I don't know, but I'm not really all that concerned with Parise leaving. He can technically only have 27 games and then some remaining in a Devils sweater but it just really doesn't bother me. I'll most likely think otherwise once NJ plays their last game, but for now, just help the team make the playoffs and bring your A game come the spring time. I want to see hockey at least until May and further if possible. Everything else is secondary.

Trying to figure out what he will do is like being on a seesaw. One day you feel he is staying then you change your mind because of some comment in an interview. The speculation isn't worth it.

I was of the mind that he wanted to stay here. The longer this has gone on, however, certain signs are popping up that can easily make you think otherwise.

Most important thing to remember is this: Assuming NJ was truly capable of signing Parise last off season and he truly wanted to be here, a long term deal would have been signed. Taking the financial situation out of the equation, my best assumption is that neither Parise or NJD is sure what type of commitment they are willing to make here. Parise is coming off a serious injury and the Devils may be hesitant to commit when they really aren't sure what they'll be getting. Does Zach like the direction the franchise is headed in? Would he like to play in a bigger market? How much does the expiring CBA come into play here? Not nearly enough attention is paid to that.

I like Parise. I think he is a solid player and he has exactly the type of attitude and work ethic you want around your team. With that being said, I honestly always felt he was a little overrated by our fan base. He's a great player, but does he have the ability to be a true game breaker when the games matter most? He's yet to prove that.

If I were a betting man, I'd say he's gone come the summer. Why? First off, all indications are that he will almost certainly test free agency. You're this close to it already, so why not? What that will entail is that some team, and most likely a good one, will most certainly overpay for his services. At that point, should he want to remain a Devil, he can go back to Lou to match. My gut feeling is that either the financial issues will not allow us to match any offers (or sign him altogether) or Lou will simply not overpay through the nose for him. Again, this is disregarding CBA issues and the like.

It would be great to have Parise in the fold for many years to come, but to what extent? Cups aren't won through left wing in this league and we already have a dynamic one playing on the wrong side at the moment. Depending on what he will command, NJ's money, assuming it's there, will probably be better spent elsewhere. I mean even if he isn't replaced by anything near his equal, you still wont saddle the franchise with large cap hits through the wing position. Defense and center depth should always come first imo.

It may ultimately come down to Parise vs. Kovalchuk and that we were only able to keep one. If so, the right choice was made imho.

Again, and just a gut feeling, Parise is going to get severely over payed and it won't be by NJ. But that's free agency for ya.

Last edited by Sir Fenwick Corsi: 02-13-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old
02-13-2012, 07:12 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Got to agree with this post.

Lou's method's are old school and are a thing of the past for today's game. For all the good he's given this franchise, the business side of things have changed and players don't have the same loyalty they had in the past. Now a days, it's more about "me" then "the team" and free agency is the only way to get above market value.

i'm certain Parise will test every single options out there and knowing our boss won't overpay even if his own mother was held hostage, all signs point to Parise playing elsewhere at the start of the 2012-13 season.
Take a look at the Adam Larsson contract and come back say that again.

If we were playing the hockey IQ game, and it was Lou vs. You, you would be laid to waste, kiddo.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:29 PM
KohoDonuts88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
If we were playing the hockey IQ game, and it was Lou vs. You, you would be laid to waste, kiddo.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringTrap
For once I'd like to have a drama free offseason.
It doesn't have to be. Don't create any.

A few months from now, a player may exercise his right to consider his career options, and will ultimately either re-sign or depart.

That's not "drama". That's business. The drama is concocted by queens in the media and elsewhere.

Pretty easy to stay above it, if one cares to.

Last edited by Trottier: 02-13-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old
02-13-2012, 07:36 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
Take a look at the Adam Larsson contract and come back say that again.

Hopefully Larsson doesn't want extra compensation next contract around when he holds more leverage though.

That said, I don't think it's really Lou being old-school compared to not knowing the facts of what happens behind the closed doors of Lou's office. I will say that I don't like the fact that he waits until the end of the year to negotiate as it provides incentive for players to wait and ultimately add to the risk of them leaving or Lou paying more.

Lou might like to use time if you have it on your side, but everything has a price.

Nice guy though, doesn't smile well for pictures. I won't hold it against him.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Lou might like to use time if you have it on your side, but everything has a price.
True.

Including fear.

No way to conduct business.

But that's how we roll around here.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:45 PM
CerebralGenesis

I'm not entirely sure if that was aimed at me or not, I've been away for most of the weekend and haven't kept up with the discussions on the board.

But assuming it was, not a lot of fear in my post. Parise may or may not leave and my Larsson comment was just a comment echoed from the summer. Perhaps echoing myself but my ego allows me to do so lol. Crap happens and I'll be watching Devils hockey anyway, assuming I can find someone that will pay me post-college. When it comes to that, I'm a tad fearful of the pessimistic possibilities..

Old
02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure if that was aimed at me or not, I've been away for most of the weekend and haven't kept up with the discussions on the board.
Answer: no it was not at you. I do not aim anything at posters. I do aim (respond) to posts.

In this case, not yours specifically, but those that operate from that foundation - fear.

But you know what? I should simply let it be. That's the M.O. of some and best I accept it.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Old
02-13-2012, 07:58 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Answer: no it was not at you. I do not aim anything at posters. I do aim (respond) to posts.

In this case, not yours specifically, but those that operate from that foundation - fear.

But you know what? I should simply let it be. That's the M.O. of some and best I accept it.
My first hockey concern is whether they make the playoffs or not. After that, speculating always passes the time nicely as Lou does his best to improve the team.

When it comes to Parise, I'm not sure whether he leaves or not, and doubt he knows either. I am certain that he won't get traded barring a ludicrous offer that won't happen. If he goes to UFA and tests the market, that will be what I expect to happen. Whether he stays in New Jersey or leaves will probably happen in July.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
That said, I don't think it's really Lou being old-school compared to not knowing the facts of what happens behind the closed doors of Lou's office. I will say that I don't like the fact that he waits until the end of the year to negotiate as it provides incentive for players to wait and ultimately add to the risk of them leaving or Lou paying more.

Exactly. I do worry that his policy of not negotiating during the season harms the team more than it helps. Lou either ends up paying more, or losing guys who might have stayed for a reasonable price.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
When it comes to Parise, I'm not sure whether he leaves or not, and doubt he knows either.
MY POINT EXACTLY!

As I've said all along, I "believe" he will re-sign, but claim no knowledge.

The certitude of a few, frankly, whether it is simply based on fear or abject pessimism, is odd. But understandable, I suppose.

What is hard to digest, however, is when one goes from that ^ to the next step. As in:

"Parise hasn't signed yet...So he's gone...So Lou is a bum and out of touch."

Um, yeah. Sure. Time to fire up XBox.

Patience is a vice in the land of instantaneous gratification.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

One thing about Lou, he is EXTREMELY respectful of a players right to test the waters via free agency. We tend to forget that this is a right that a player earns. While some may see it as strictly an old school approach on Lou's part, I think he's just pretty comfortable in the fact that a player should have the right to experience the entire free agency process. That's not to say he would never try to sign someone prior to FA, he has of course, I just don't think he's necessarily overly concerned about it.

The only thing Lou can do is do everything possible to entice said player to stay. Should they feel there are greener pastures else where, more power to them to find out. For all we know, Parise may just have his mind settled that he will test FA no matter what. This could possibly be his last opportunity.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
One thing about Lou, he is EXTREMELY respectful of a players right to test the waters via free agency. We tend to forget that this is a right that a player earns. While some may see it as strictly an old school approach on Lou's part, I think he's just pretty comfortable in the fact that a player should have the right to experience the entire free agency process. That's not to say he would never try to sign someone prior to FA, he has of course, I just don't think he's necessarily overly concerned about it.

The only thing Lou can do is do everything possible to entice said player to stay. Should they feel there are greener pastures else where, more power to them to find out...
And, Lou has said exactly that many times. Some of us have heard him.

Likewise, he has said that if a player leaves, he harbors no resentment. How professional and how non-emo (as opposed to "old school" ).

As for the hollow criticism offered elsewhere that the game has passed him by, the guy said years ago that fans better get used to rooting strictly for the front of the jersey, since with the advent of liberal Nuuu NHL free agency rights combined with the insufferable salary cap, players would move around a lot more.

So who's "behind the times"?

Last edited by Trottier: 02-13-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old
02-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
And, Lou has said exactly that many times. Some of us have heard him.

Likewise, he has said that if a player leaves, he harbors no resentement. How professional and how non-emo (as opposed to "old school" ).

As for the hollow criticism offered elsewhere that the game has passed him by, the guy said years ago that fans better get used to rooting strictly for the front of the jersey, since with the advent of liberal Nuuu NHL free agency rights combined with the insufferable salary cap, players would move around a lot more.

So who's "behind the times"?
I never got the whole questioning Lou thing. It's very easy to critique a transaction from your computer. I don't know, I just never felt a need to play GM. Whatever players / team is put on the ice, I just support it. Lou has been around enough to know what the hell he is doing and the results speak for themselves.

As for the game passing him by, not a chance. Sure we haven't had the playoff success recently that we had come to expect at the start of the prior decade, but you can't win all the time and rosters change. Different circumstances dictate fortunes in different ways, such as the Niedermayer situation.

Look at a team like the Wings. This nearly 20 year run they have been on has been nothing short of brilliant. They are constantly at the top of the standings. But they have ultimately come up short in 14 of the prior 18 seasons. Would anybody question Holland's work at this point? You'd be nuts to. Well NJ is not that far off pace when you really think about it.

Lou has done a very nice job with the Devils. We're very lucky to have him no matter what the critics say.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Lou has screwed up more times then not post lockout and saying so is not to throw him under the buss but simply calling it as it is. He's been very average, at best, when signing UFA's, he has put us in "cap hell" more often then not and hasn't done anything to fix our biggest weakness.

I raise my hat to the work he's done to turn this franchise around and he will be forever known as one of the greatest hockey minds in the game, but to say that Lou is still on top of the game, today, would be anything but true IMO.

P.S. LOL @ Lou being the man for "convincing" a 18 year old teenager to take a "paycut" to play at the NHL level... What a mastermind !!! If someone should receive praises, it's Larsson himself and his agent who both have the final word and not Lou, but whatever. Can the fact that we pretty muched lowballed the Swede to his ELC have anything to do with our financial issues? Maybe Lou told Larsson that if he wanted to play in North America, he'd have to accept a paycut or go back to Sweden?

Just spitballing over here.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:22 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

DATW

A #4 draft pick typically gets max salary + max bonuses in his ELC, especially one expected to contribute early.

What it shows is that Lou's ways aren't always detrimental to the team.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:29 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
DATW

A #4 draft pick typically gets max salary + max bonuses in his ELC, especially one expected to contribute early.

What it shows is that Lou's ways aren't always detrimental to the team.
I get that... but if the player and his agent aren't on board with it (AKA Lou's "plan"), there's so much Lou can do about it.

The final decision isn't Lou's but the player himself and his agent.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

Parise.

Leaving?

Staying?

Trade?

Does he walk?

1st round exit?

iluvuparise

Old
02-13-2012, 09:33 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I get that... but if the player and his agent aren't on board with it (AKA Lou's "plan"), there's so much Lou can do about it.

The final decision isn't Lou's but the player himself and his agent.
And you don't think Lou had any say in persuading them to take less?

Old
02-13-2012, 09:39 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
And you don't think Lou had any say in persuading them to take less?
Of course he did since I doubt very much that Larsson and his "people" went up to Lou and told him "Hey, you picked our client 4th overall but we are willing to take close to league minimum because we are just too thrilled about having him playing for the New Jersey Devils".

All I'm saying is that Larsson and his agent deserves the majority of the credit for actually going threw with what Lou offered them and not vice-versa but that's just my opinion.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Lou deserves plenty of credit for sticking to his guns and making Larsson and his agent take the deal. Plenty of GMs would have blinked first and compromised their policies on rookie bonuses for a player like Larsson. Lou didn't, and it worked out for him.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post

The only thing Lou can do is do everything possible to entice said player to stay. Should they feel there are greener pastures else where, more power to them to find out. For all we know, Parise may just have his mind settled that he will test FA no matter what. This could possibly be his last opportunity.
Sometimes players are treated like family, taken care of off the ice, and have everything they ask for from their employer (salary aside). To some people these things are more important than a fat raise.

Not that I think like an athlete or anything. Just sayin'.

Closed Thread