HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The All Things Parise Thread (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Lou deserves plenty of credit for sticking to his guns and making Larsson and his agent take the deal. Plenty of GMs would have blinked first and compromised their policies on rookie bonuses for a player like Larsson. Lou didn't, and it worked out for him.
Something tells me that in the long run, Larsson will be bettor off for this as well. I could be completely off, but when you're as highly touted as Larsson was, and you still play by the same as rules as other rookies present and before, it's a pretty good lesson on how the team comes first. I only say this because Adam seems to have a good head on his shoulders and he's very mature. I can't see him spiting NJ in the future for this but you can never say never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
Sometimes players are treated like family, taken care of off the ice, and have everything they ask for from their employer (salary aside). To some people these things are more important than a fat raise.

Not that I think like an athlete or anything. Just sayin'.
This is definitely a good point and very true. One thing we know for sure is that Lou and the Devils are usually well respected in this regard. It's a fine line I guess. No matter which way you slice it, at the end of the day, it's a business and these guys need to get paid. Hopefully there are enough incentives, like you mentioned, to help a guy like Parise stick around at a fair price point for all involved.

Old
02-14-2012, 03:06 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

If he leaves, he leaves.

Old
02-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post

This is definitely a good point and very true. One thing we know for sure is that Lou and the Devils are usually well respected in this regard. It's a fine line I guess. No matter which way you slice it, at the end of the day, it's a business and these guys need to get paid. Hopefully there are enough incentives, like you mentioned, to help a guy like Parise stick around at a fair price point for all involved.
I just keep thinking about it. If he stays, he's the captain for the foreseeable future. It's his team. He already knows the Jersey life, area and schools. He has his life set up here, as he's spent the last 5-6 years here. Lou just needs to be fair and I think we keep him.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
Something tells me that in the long run, Larsson will be bettor off for this as well. I could be completely off, but when you're as highly touted as Larsson was, and you still play by the same as rules as other rookies present and before, it's a pretty good lesson on how the team comes first. I only say this because Adam seems to have a good head on his shoulders and he's very mature. I can't see him spiting NJ in the future for this but you can never say never.
I agree. Lou rewards loyalty and commitment to the team. Adam showed it by taking less, and Lou will take care of him in the future.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Quote:
I agree. Lou rewards loyalty and commitment to the team. Adam showed it by taking less, and Lou will take care of him in the future.
Jay Pandolfo Gold Watch Club agrees.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
02-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
I just keep thinking about it. If he stays, he's the captain for the foreseeable future. It's his team. He already knows the Jersey life, area and schools. He has his life set up here, as he's spent the last 5-6 years here. Lou just needs to be fair and I think we keep him.
If it's "his team" in regards to Parise & Lou just needs to be "fair", then Zach needs to be fair in his contract demands.

After all, he himself has been a playoff underachiever of HIS team.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:14 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

I find myself caring less and less about the parise situation. stay or go, we have such forward depth that we wont fall on our face should he leave. usually im worried about a defenseman leaving, not a forward. im used to forwards leaving. if he leaves, I hope he goes out west..specifically, to my 2nd favorite team, the preds.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
I find myself caring less and less about the parise situation. stay or go, we have such forward depth that we wont fall on our face should he leave. usually im worried about a defenseman leaving, not a forward. im used to forwards leaving. if he leaves, I hope he goes out west..specifically, to my 2nd favorite team, the preds.
Didn't you listen to the radio interview - he's going to the Wild brah. He's all they talk about in Minnesota since they free fell from 1st to the 12 slot.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Jay Pandolfo Gold Watch Club agrees.
Exactly. I know it's early in his career, but I'm hoping Larsson is a Lou-Aid drinker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
We have forward depth, but not nearly enough to shrug off losing a 30 goal scorer like Parise. Not unless two or more of the kids burst out in a big way next season.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:36 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
We have forward depth, but not nearly enough to shrug off losing a 30 goal scorer like Parise. Not unless two or more of the kids burst out in a big way next season.
Or we trade for Nash

And the problem with Larsson being a Lou-aid drinker is Lou almost certainly ain't going to be around when Larsson goes UFA.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Exactly. I know it's early in his career, but I'm hoping Larsson is a Lou-Aid drinker.
My concern is how long will Lou be here with Larsson and will Larsson respect the next GM the same way?

Damn, beaten to the punch by a minute

Old
02-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Let's hope the next GM is smart enough to follow in Lou's footsteps in that regard.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Let's hope the next GM is smart enough to follow in Lou's footsteps in that regard.
Could Conte be able to take over?

Old
02-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

I've come to terms that if Parise leaves this team, Lou will make the appropriate moves to keep the club as competitive as ever. No Parise opens up a spot for a number 1 D-man, or a star RW to play with Kovalchuk who can then go back to his natural position on the left side. Looking at this line-up, there may not be room for Kovy and Zach on the same roster long term.

Honestly, this situation reminds me very much of a guy who wants to buy a 60 inch LCD TV for his apartment, knowing full well he could use the money for something that is actually needed, like paying rent or bills.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:39 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
I've come to terms that if Parise leaves this team, Lou will make the appropriate moves to keep the club as competitive as ever. No Parise opens up a spot for a number 1 D-man, or a star RW to play with Kovalchuk who can then go back to his natural position on the left side. Looking at this line-up, there may not be room for Kovy and Zach on the same roster long term.

Honestly, this situation reminds me very much of a guy who wants to buy a 60 inch LCD TV for his apartment, knowing full well he could use the money for something that is actually needed, like paying rent or bills.
I doubt we're gonna be spending money if he's gone.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boring Trap View Post
He is only a couple of years younger than Lou so he wouldn't be a long term solution.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
I doubt we're gonna be spending money if he's gone.
I guess it depends on the ownership situation, but using the freed up cap-space to get a Defense or a RW would be very smart. I love Zach, but we need help in other areas of the team waaaay moreso than on the left wing.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
He is only a couple of years younger than Lou so he wouldn't be a long term solution.
What about Brodeur? Nobody other than Lou knows the organization as well

Old
02-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Maybe, but as JW said, he isn't a long term solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
What about Brodeur? Nobody other than Lou knows the organization as well
I'd prefer if he had an "apprenticeship" of sorts with Lou for a few years before jumping straight into it. No need to pull a Wang and make the backup goalie the GM the day after he retires.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:27 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
I'd prefer if he had an "apprenticeship" of sorts with Lou for a few years before jumping straight into it. No need to pull a Wang and make the backup goalie the GM the day after he retires.
That's how you end up giving out a ludicrous 15 year contract.

Old
02-14-2012, 02:15 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Aw, I wanted to make the part 2 :/ I made the part 1 :V

Old
02-20-2012, 05:51 AM
DevilsAnimal*

I really think Parise wants to stay, the way he's been playing

Old
02-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

playing for max. paycheck - he wants out. haven't you been paying attention?

Old
02-20-2012, 08:02 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Sign the dotted line.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I do like the comments from Brodeur and Kovalchuk urging him to re-sign, and hoping that Lou will get it done. It's clear his teammates want him to stay.

Closed Thread