HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question from a Rangers fan (in peace)

Old
02-13-2012, 10:06 AM
SwedeAmerican

vCash: 500
Question from a Rangers fan (in peace)

Hey fellow die-hard hockey fans,

I've been meaning to ask you guys this for a long time: Which finals loss was tougher for you guys...1994 to the Rangers or last year vs the B's? I'm guessing most of you would say last year because you were the favorites and you had game 7 at home. Both were great series and I hope you guys one year finally win the cup (as long as it doesn't mean beating the NYR).

I loved watching Pavel Bure play and I was so excited when he came to the Rangers in 2002. I went to his first game playing at MSG as a Ranger and when he scored I remember the place went absolutely nuts! The following season I saw him score on a penalty shot and also score a hat trick. It's too bad he couldn't stay healthy.

Also, do any of you guys watch football? Were you rooting for my guys in the Superbowl? (The G-men of course)

Have a great rest of the season and I hope to see you in June!

SwedeAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:14 AM
arshonagon

I was only 4 when the 1994 run happened, so maybe my opinion isn't as legitimate as somebody fully there for both runs but, because we were favoured against the Bruins while the Rangers were favoured n 94 I think it may be the Boston series that was more painful. Just my 2 cents.

And ya, had to cheer for the Giants and as an Eagles fan it killed me a little inside. But, you can never cheer for the Patriots, t was really the lesser of 2 evils But we'll get you next year.

arshonagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:18 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Easily last year. Especially after taking a 2-0 series lead

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:20 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
PING!!!

Both were very very painful. I would say last year was more frustrating given that our team was decimated by injuries and our offense remained on the sunny beaches of San Jose.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeAmerican View Post
Were you rooting for my guys in the Superbowl? (The G-men of course)
**** New England and Boston.

Does that answer your question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeAmerican View Post
Which finals loss was tougher for you guys...1994 to the Rangers or last year vs the B's?
Pretty easy answer - at least for me.

Only really disliked one player (excluding Keenan of course) on that Rangers team - Messier (and mostly after the fact - as he was awful when he played for the Canucks). There isn't a single player on that 2011 Bruins team don't dislike.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Cocoa Crisp

We were the cinderella team on 1994. If the Sharks hadn't upset the Wings, I'm not sure this thread would even exist. I remember feeling pretty empty for a few days but really excited that we had a great young team going forwards - kinda like an '06 Oilers fan

Last year was definitely more painful. So were the two ousters by the Hawks.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

They both hurt like hell.

You'll know the feeling this June when the Canucks take the Rangers in 6 games.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:55 AM
LuckyDay

That loss in double overtime in the first game really took the wind out of our sails. It was tough, especially after Snepts blasted that one from the point in the first OT. There was nothing left in us after that.

Yeah, so that New York win was the toughest. The funny thing is, in NY , no one seemed to care. They practically gave our guys a parade.

LuckyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Risiko

I think the Rangers one hurt more, for me at least. I was in love with that team and I think we had most of the country behind us going into that final. Despite the riot, there was no ill-will towards that team from the province, everyone knows they played their hearts out. There was even a huge reception for them in BC place (our football stadium). The image of the guys leaning against the boards after the game, just completely exausted, is still difficult for me to watch.

The Boston series was just so frustrating because the team was so beat up that the only way they could compete was to play boring hockey and keep the score down as much as possible (not at all the way this team is built).

We also all know that we have a great team going into the playoffs this year. It's an easier pill to swallow when you can say 'there's always next year' and be serious about it. 94 was just a run with zero expectations. It brought the city together and then ripped us apart together.

Last edited by mrmyheadhurts: 02-13-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: clean up, aisle 10...
Risiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
This year, because the Canucks were the better team.

And yes I was pulling for the Giants because I picked them. Pass rush wins every time.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I was freshly married in 1994, and that was the best year of my short life up to that time as a sports fan. 1994 hurt alot only because they were better than they showed in games 1-4, lucky to win 1 game, and then they played to their ability.

Last season injuries decimated the team. I mean decimated them. I am more proud of the 2011 Canucks than the 1994 Canucks only because they pushed it to a 7th game with almost the entire roster playing with what would've in the regular season normally have kept these players out.

Last year hurts way more because of this. healthy the Canucks win that series in 6, but injuries and stupid suspensions just stacked the odds so much, eventually it caught up to them.

And to put it in perspective, I remember when Kesler got injured vs the Sharks in game 5, even though he returned, I said to my son: "The Canucks just lost the Stanley cup". Losing him and Hamuis to injuries just killed the team.

I am happy with the east this year cause the Bruins and Rangers are going to kill each other should they meet. The East is going to be very hard to get out of.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
I was 10 during 1994, not nearly emotionally equipped enough to deal with coming so close and losing.

Losing last year really, really stunk, but I was better equipped to deal with. My wife was stunned I handled it so well. But she said she's rarely seen me as angry as I was (standing up and screaming obscenities at the TV) when the cameras cut to the riot beginning outside Rogers Arena. THAT made me mad.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:14 AM
KISSland

Last year was. Not old enough to remember 94.

When I found out the Bruins won against Tampa. I **** you not I had a dream that chara was skating around with the cup in his hand at Rogers arena. I even told my hockey crazed fan(habs fan) the gross nightmare. Couldn't believe it when we lost he mentioned it to me a couple weeks later.

Up 2-0 in the series people throwing stats my way. The sky was falling when we lost hamhuis. I kept telling my friend this is the series decider for us. I remember being in DT for game 5 thinking one more win with two games to go. And that we would put a world class effort in game 7...

I got to DT way too late(had a project at my campus.) This girl that said she could get us in caprice could only bring in one person(was with my guy friend and 2 class mates, neither of them that knowledgeable about hockey.)

We had to settle at some bar in Davis street. Was a gay bar which I didn't care but the fans their were terrible. No emotion just dull.

I remember we were down real early in the game and my friend who knew how big a fan I was kept buying me drinks. Not sure how much I drank but I remember telling the one girl if we lose I'll cry. Well I had watery eyes but I held it in till I got home.

The worse part was seeing the mayhem in Vancouver. And how *******s were running wild making the whole province and Canada look bad.

A day that I'll never forget and will be repressed till our next run..

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:17 AM
GoTeamDom

Boston 2011

Wild 2004
Chicago 2010

Chicago 2009

Rangers 1994

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
The worse part was seeing the mayhem in Vancouver. And how *******s were running wild making the whole province and Canada look bad.
Nothing to be proud about - but in the end, it was mostly just property damage. I think the most serious injury suffered was kind of a self-inflicted wound (a person with too much to drink tried to jump the viaduct and didn't make it).

Riots in other cities often results in some people dying. You can always replace/fix damaged buildings (eg., insurance, etc.,).

Old
02-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Minimalist*

Last year was harder.

Canucks in 94 was sort of a Cinderella story. Last year, the Canucks were the presidents trophy winners and were up 3 games to 2 in the finals. Losing 2 in a row and watching Boston win it in Vancouver was heartbreaking.

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Kagee*

Easily 94'

And oddly enough both the Rangers and Bruins are the top dogs of the East this year haha. Destiny awaits us? : O

Last edited by Kagee*: 02-13-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:34 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Nothing to be proud about - but in the end, it was mostly just property damage. I think the most serious injury suffered was kind of a self-inflicted wound (a person with too much to drunk tried to jump the viaduct and didn't make it).

Riots in other cities often results in some people dying. You can always replace/fix damaged buildings (eg., insurance, etc.,).
Yeah I heard about that moron. :shakeshead:.

I understand that we got off rather easy in terms of damages, but still stings. I was stuck there and the girls I was with were legitimately scared for their safety.

I had to push some people off me and the 3 girls I were with were getting grabbed at. Had to break up a fight to get to the skytrain. Went to waterfront because Granville and Burrard were impossible to get to. I saw my cousin he kept telling me to get home right away. We got lucky and took the last train that was functioning home.

It would suck to have to watch on the news your own business getting wrecked. I would be devastated.

Disappointed is all. Especially how no one was helping, just looting/taking pictures(I doubt they were doing this because they could report it to the police.) Mob mentality at its finest.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Guardian452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Last year was harder.

Canucks in 94 was sort of a Cinderella story. Last year, the Canucks were the presidents trophy winners and were up 3 games to 2 in the finals. Losing 2 in a row and watching Boston win it in Vancouver was heartbreaking.
I agree. Last year's team was a favourite to win it all from the beginning of the season. The Bruins were pretty much the only team that, on paper, had all the right pieces to beat the Canucks. The 94 Canucks team was the underdog in every round of the playoffs.

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:48 AM
dwarf

vCash: 1043
94 was way harder to handle. Trevor and Kirk, Messier's guarantee? What is there to say?

Last year the Canucks were a finesse team, and they still are. It is very difficult to beat brawn with finesse in the playoffs, so I knew they had very little hope against the Bruins. And I prayed for Tampa to beat the Bruins, we could have beat Tampa. Cest la vie.

The Canucks won't beat Lundquist in a Final. So here is to hoping your Rangers and the Bruins get knocked out early. And the Nucks get some serious playoff luck this year.

dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:54 AM
MarkMM

I was 12 when 94 happened, but was away at a school camp so I didn't see it. Still, I kind of think I found 94 harder because I was younger and more things were "all or nothing" in my mind, but this year I could rationalize a bit easier and just say we're still going to be contenders for years to come.

I was cheering for the Giants this year for a couple reasons, one petty, haha, couldn't let Boston get both championships and the second, New York is my favorite American city, I can't exaggerate how exciting I find that place.

Giants took the Superbowl, BC Lions took the Grey Cup, I guess football has been good to both cities.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Yeah I heard about that moron. :shakeshead:.

I understand that we got off rather easy in terms of damages, but still stings. I was stuck there and the girls I was with were legitimately scared for their safety.

I had to push some people off me and the 3 girls I were with were getting grabbed at. Had to break up a fight to get to the skytrain. Went to waterfront because Granville and Burrard were impossible to get to. I saw my cousin he kept telling me to get home right away. We got lucky and took the last train that was functioning home.

It would suck to have to watch on the news your own business getting wrecked. I would be devastated.

Disappointed is all. Especially how no one was helping, just looting/taking pictures(I doubt they were doing this because they could report it to the police.) Mob mentality at its finest.
True enough; agree 100%.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:55 AM
BloatedGuppy

'94 by a long shot. It was a more loveable team, the run to the Finals felt more magical and less expected, and they lost game 7 by a single goal after winning games 5 and 6 handily, so it felt like momentum was on their side and they lost the cup by inches. The 2011 Canucks got thumped in 3 of 4 games leading up to game 7, so the likelihood of them losing it all had a lot more time to sink in.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
'94 by a long shot. It was a more loveable team, the run to the Finals felt more magical and less expected, and they lost game 7 by a single goal after winning games 5 and 6 handily, so it felt like momentum was on their side and they lost the cup by inches. The 2011 Canucks got thumped in 3 of 4 games leading up to game 7, so the likelihood of them losing it all had a lot more time to sink in.
Well said!

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
moog35

I was only a few years old in 94 so i dont really remember but from what i know the 94 run seems like the team was much more lovable than last years, with gritty players who didn't dive and embellish, teams didn't take liberties on the top players and the country was behind us and not against us

Also which riot was worse the 94 one or last years?

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote