HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you give Randy Cunneyworth a chance next year?

View Poll Results: Would you give Randy Cunneyworth a chance next year?
Yes i like the way the habs are heading 82 52.23%
No i want to try a new coach 75 47.77%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Dharvey33

vCash: 500
Would you give Randy Cunneyworth a chance next year?

I'm really beginning to like what i see of Cunneyworth, it seems the last 6 games he was able to put his game plan in motion. Yeah darche is playing a lot more than he should but damn he is looking good out there doing the little things. I think the direction told Cunneyworth in the last week that he had "Carte Blanche" to do whatever he please with the team.

He is looking more an more comfortable behind the bench. The team is often outhitting the opponent, the forecheck has never been so effective in just about i don't know how long.

I gotta give my hat to randy he manage to Change the nature of the team in 2 months of work and i think everyone is liking the way the team is going.

He reminds me a bit of Dan Bylsma when he arrived in the league, the first 3 weeks were very rough Dan couldn't buy a single win but when he was able to put his system the pens started winning.

I think Cunneyworth has a future in this league.

The direction needs a changing not the coaching IMO.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Absolutely. He took over a team that was already in disarray. He did the best he could with the ingredients he had. He's slowly moving us towards a more offensive minded team, but I don't think he's forgetting to preach the defensive minded basics that our core strategy is based on. Our highest goal scoring production this year has occurred during games he coached.

Our PP is slowly (very slowly) getting better, and the PK system he instilled under JM is still dominating. Our 5 on 5 play is better than it ever has, we are allowing less shots and goals per game than last year, and we are playing with a good amount of rookies and youngsters.

I would like to see what he could do from the start of the year, with a (semi) healthy roster.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:58 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
I'm really beginning to like what i see of Cunneyworth, it seems the last 6 games he was able to put his game plan in motion. Yeah darche is playing a lot more than he should but damn he is looking good out there doing the little things. I think the direction told Cunneyworth in the last week that he had "Carte Blanche" to do whatever he please with the team.

He is looking more an more comfortable behind the bench. The team is often outhitting the opponent, the forecheck has never been so effective in just about i don't know how long.

I gotta give my hat to randy he manage to Change the nature of the team in 2 months of work and i think everyone is liking the way the team is going.

He reminds me a bit of Dan Bylsma when he arrived in the league, the first 3 weeks were very rough Dan couldn't buy a single win but when he was able to put his system the pens started winning.

I think Cunneyworth has a future in this league.

The direction needs a changing not the coaching IMO.
ask this question after 4 games losing streak and the answers would be inversed

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:00 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I think if PG is gone, he is most likely gone as well. JM wasn't hired by Gauthier, and RC seems Gauthier guy. But at the same time I think PG might be forced into hiring a French coach by ownership. But if a new GM is hired, RC is as good as gone. No way a new GM doesn't hire a French coach.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Definitely.

They owe it to him for how he has been treated through this circus of a season.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:01 AM
shutehinside

Depends on who the new gm will be. I say a new gm should be able to hire whomever he wants to. Also, depends on who becomes available this off season.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Absolutely. He took over a team that was already in disarray. He did the best he could with the ingredients he had. He's slowly moving us towards a more offensive minded team, but I don't think he's forgetting to preach the defensive minded basics that our core strategy is based on. Our highest goal scoring production this year has occurred during games he coached.

Our PP is slowly (very slowly) getting better, and the PK system he instilled under JM is still dominating. Our 5 on 5 play is better than it ever has, we are allowing less shots and goals per game than last year, and we are playing with a good amount of rookies and youngsters.

I would like to see what he could do from the start of the year, with a (semi) healthy roster.
RC has been in charge of the PP since the beginning of the year. He was not in charge of the PK.
Four games win streak and people jump through loops. Funny thing is that if Martin was the coach, people would say PK and Price are saving his ass. Under RC, he's turning the team around. :

I have no interest in seeing RC back here next season.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
ask this question after 4 games losing streak and the answers would be inversed
That might be true but Randy Deserves a lot of Credit for this 4 game winning streak he was able to put his system in place and the players are sticking to it. Playing Gill Gomez Kaberle less than 15 minutes is not a idea that grew on trees it was Randy's idea.

The players are playing a lot better but i think they understand the way Randy wants the game to be played and i think it's a lot more entertaining than the way Martin played.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:02 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
Definitely.

They owe it to him for how he has been treated through this circus of a season.
This.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:06 AM
SeriousHabs

If Gauthier remains, yes. If there is a new GM, it should be his call.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:08 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

This is all I can say about that:

I hope day Cunney will be a good and successful coach, I doubt that will happen in Montreal. Maybe if we make the playoffs he could stay but otherwise, in friggin' July, there would be pages of editorials on why he shouldn't.

Why do we "owe him" anything though? He's getting paid and gaining experience, I don't think we "owe him."

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:09 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
That might be true but Randy Deserves a lot of Credit for this 4 game winning streak he was able to put his system in place and the players are sticking to it. Playing Gill Gomez Kaberle less than 15 minutes is not a idea that grew on trees it was Randy's idea.

The players are playing a lot better but i think they understand the way Randy wants the game to be played and i think it's a lot more entertaining than the way Martin played.
I personnaly think he is a good coach and could fit in montreal

I doubt he is a major upgrade over JM. But the home record is way better than JM

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Davebo
beep beep

If we continue to improve as the season progresses? Absolutely.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Win or lose I think the Habs already made their plans to replace him and have a french speaking coach there. Is it right no, but it's the Habs and Molson's fault for not backing him up when it was time to

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

A question to be asked at the end of the year. Right now, everybody would, we won 4 in a row. Before, nobody wanted we kept losing.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Dharvey33

Yeah i agree about the fact that if Gauthier is Gone Cunneyworth would likely be gone too. That would be a shame IMO since he is getting more and more confident.

There is still a slim hope of making the playoffs and if Cunneyworth would succeed in making them he should be a keeper for sure.

He has a future in the nhl if not with the habs with another team.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Hullois

Last I heard, he still doesn't speak French. So no.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
Last I heard, he still doesn't speak French. So no.
And that is EVER so important.

Can he work with the players to produce results. That is the only criteria that ****ing matters!

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post

Can he work with the players to produce results. That is the only criteria that ****ing matters!
Considering what Molson and Gauthier said after the media circus, he has to learn to speak french properly during the summer or he is out. If the Habs miss the playoffs, he is out anyway IMO.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Hullois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post

I doubt we have to go through the whole argument again, its been repeated many times at the time of JMs firing. You can't ignore the "coach has to be a francophone" reality.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:05 PM
EmelinHipCheck

Mixed feelings tbh. Yes he's had a lot to deal with, yes he was put in a tough spot, but you have to blame the coach for the team's failure if you want to credit him it's success. In his first month he made a lot of mistakes. Mistakes a coach in a market like ours can not afford to make. Please, bare with me on this one. Cunneyworth is a very decent guy, and he no doubt earned the respect of every single person in that locker room. He might become a good coach in a couple of years, but until then he's in a learning process. That ''Until then'' means, wether we like it or not, a failing team. Our fanbas is growing more and more impatient, and management cannot afford another losing year, they will be desperate to win ( even though the odds are we most probably won't). So no i will not be willing to give him a chance due to these circumstances, but i wish him the best of luck, he certainly deserves a lot better, this organization did not treat him with the level of class he has.

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:13 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
yes, but that's probably because i like mediocrity

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'm willing to see what the next 26 games brings, anyway. I wouldn't make the language factor the deciding one, not if he can pull off the minor miracle needed to put us in the playoffs.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
habitue*

If he's making the playoffs. Yes !

He's gonna have the whole summer to learn basic French. Should not be a problem.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'm willing to see what the next 26 games brings, anyway. I wouldn't make the language factor the deciding one, not if he can pull off the minor miracle needed to put us in the playoffs.
Again, with Molson and Gauthier comments, he has to learn to speak french during the summer or he's out. The fact that speaking french is a criteria didn't came from my mouth, it came from them. Even if Gauthier is fired, Molson took a commitment torwards the fans and he has no choice but to respect it. after the season

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote