HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you give Randy Cunneyworth a chance next year?

View Poll Results: Would you give Randy Cunneyworth a chance next year?
Yes i like the way the habs are heading 82 52.23%
No i want to try a new coach 75 47.77%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-13-2012, 12:17 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
Again, with Molson and Gauthier comments, he has to learn to speak french during the summer or he's out. The fact that speaking french is a criteria didn't came from my mouth, it came from them. Even if Gauthier is fired, Molson took a commitment torwards the fans and he has no choice but to respect it.
Is it sooo painful to learn another language ?

Half of the posters on this board are at least bilingual, and we were not paid to become bilingual as Cunneyworth will be.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:17 PM
lxzred

Today I want to say yes but that could change in a hurry especially if we get walloped by Carolina, not the best time to ask riding a high but I'm definitely willing to wait and see.

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Is it sooo painful to learn another language ?

Half of the posters on this board are at least bilingual, and we were not paid to become bilingual as Cunneyworth will be.
Learning English is easy, French as an adult...not so easy, trust me

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Zorba

It does not matter if we the fans want him back or not. He is gone regardless of the outcome of the year. even if the Habs make the playoffs (not happening) he will still be gone. I give him a ZERO percent chance of being back.

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

If they make the playoffs, yes.

Don't forget that the team wasn't too far off of a playoff spot when he was hired.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
If he's making the playoffs. Yes !

He's gonna have the whole summer to learn basic French. Should not be a problem.
LOL ofcourse! We're winning! Undefeated! Playoffs woo! .....

Maybe with Roy as GM and Dryden/Savard/Robinson as advisors. We'll see. Also this should be in the Candidates thread imo.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:35 PM
FisherKing

If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always got.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Craig71

The warmth and fuzzy feelings of winning make the world a better place. We have been getting some breaks that have led to a few wins and thats great, however it will be interesting to see how it looks against the B's. We have faced weaker teams outside of the shootout win against the Pens which could have gone either way. (luck has alot to do with winning or losing) I still see Cunneyworth gone at the end of the season. It is fun to win and I hope it keeps up.Go Habs.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:39 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Yes.

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
I doubt we have to go through the whole argument again, its been repeated many times at the time of JMs firing. You can't ignore the "coach has to be a francophone" reality.
Actually - we can - and should. it's how we had success in the past.

Winning is all that matters.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Leafs fan saying absolutely. Might give him more incentive to learn french as well if he knows he's sticking around.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:45 PM
windycity

Yes

Obviously he needs to learn some French even if I could care less about the issue

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:46 PM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

Our captain is an American and nobody complains, but because our coach is english speaking it's the end of the world, such a joke. Have the best guy behind the bench regardless of which language he speaks. I am a die hard Habs fan and have been since I was a little kid but this discriminatory stuff is getting pretty pathetic. I know it's not everyone but instead a select few, so my advice to you is grow up and get over it, we are not living in the 1950's anymore. The guy is learning french so let him do what he has to do and don't judge a book by it's cover.

SNM87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:47 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Again, with Molson and Gauthier comments, he has to learn to speak french during the summer or he's out. The fact that speaking french is a criteria didn't came from my mouth, it came from them. Even if Gauthier is fired, Molson took a commitment torwards the fans and he has no choice but to respect it. after the season
To be honest, if PG is kept is the only way RC has a chance to stay. PG has shown he doesn't care what the media says, or what the fans want, so if he thinks he is the best guy for the job he will keep him. Plus, I'm not sure what people are saying PG said, from what I recall, PG first said, that lanaguage is something than can easily be leant at the time of the JM firing/RC hiring. And when asked about it during the "mid-season review", he said he was sorry if the team offended anyone, which to me is like saying, saying sorry but deal with it, more than saying we'll hire a French coach in the summer.

If anyone is to blame for those comments it would be Molson, because he was the one that worth a statement saying the RC was only interim coach (I think he may have been pressured into doing this by his partners Molson Coors Inc/Bell...)

Last edited by habs03: 02-13-2012 at 12:57 PM.
habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:06 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
To be honest, if PG is kept is the only way RC has a chance to stay. PG has shown he doesn't care what the media says, or what the fans want, so if he thinks he is the best guy for the job he will keep him. Plus, I'm not sure what people are saying PG said, from what I recall, PG first said, that lanaguage is something than can easily be leant at the time of the JM firing/RC hiring. And when asked about it during the "mid-season review", he said he was sorry if the team offended anyone, which to me is like saying, saying sorry but deal with it, more than saying we'll hire a French coach in the summer.

If anyone is to blame for those comments it would be Molson, because he was the one that worth a statement saying the RC was only interim coach (I think he may have been pressured into doing this by his partners Molson Coors Inc/Bell...)
He said something along the lines that " Like M. Molson said, speaking french will be a very important criteria in the decision". Of course, Cunneyworth might be given the chance to learn it but if he can't speak properly before next season, I can't see him behind the bench.

For the record, I'm also tired of the language issues but agree or not, management (and especially Molson) made a statement that they will have to respect.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
sharks9

Depends how we finish the season and which coaches are available in the offseason.

I think RC should at least be considered for the job next year.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

We'd see car burning on TV if he were renewed.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
Definitely.

They owe it to him for how he has been treated through this circus of a season.
I really do not understand that (the "oh my GAWD they treated him badly") line of thought.

The Montréal Canadiens are giving him his first opportunity (head coach) behind the bench of a NHL team and coping with adversity is among the prerequisites for the job.

I am sure that Cunneyworth, a guy who looks grounded and solid, is thankful.

-----------------------------

Back to the OP...

I know that Gauthier did not build a proper D squad (it will be his downfall; we only have ONE experienced D that can eat a lot of minutes on even strength: Gorges!) but I dislike Cunneyworth's propensity to use 7 D. I know he is mainly doing it to reduce Gill's horror show on even strength but I wish for a 12F + 6D lineup.

The team's record under Cunneyworth is 10-12-2; that is slightly worse than Martin. However I like the way the team has been playing lately (more aggressively) so Cunneyworth is growing on me. Though I hope this team won't go down the path of "big beefs" are better than skilled players – I still remember the days of Turner Stevenson and Brent Bilodeau!

Long story short: it is too early to tell, Cunneyworth is growing on me... and I still wish for Patrick Roy in 2012-13!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
We'd see car burning on TV if he were renewed.
Lets hope Montrealers dont have the Greek mentality and burn the city to the ground if the decide to keep him

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:26 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
He said something along the lines that " Like M. Molson said, speaking french will be a very important criteria in the decision". Of course, Cunneyworth might be given the chance to learn it but if he can't speak properly before next season, I can't see him behind the bench.

For the record, I'm also tired of the language issues but agree or not, management (and especially Molson) made a statement that they will have to respect.
Oh thanks, that is pretty bad, seems like Molson caved in. I can't blame him, he has a business to run, and I believe he had to borrow a lot of money to buy the Habs, so his investors must have a lot of say on this issue too.

Anyone know the actually break down of the Habs ownership. It came out that Bell Media owns 18%, Bulldogs owner Michael Andlauer has some soft of share, I think Molson/Coors still only the 19-20%?

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:39 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
ask this question after 4 games losing streak and the answers would be inversed
Completely agreed.

Maybe it doesn't need 4 consecutive losses, just 2 are enough.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:44 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Lets hope Montrealers dont have the Greek mentality and burn the city to the ground if the decide to keep him

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Again, with Molson and Gauthier comments, he has to learn to speak french during the summer or he's out. The fact that speaking french is a criteria didn't came from my mouth, it came from them. Even if Gauthier is fired, Molson took a commitment torwards the fans and he has no choice but to respect it. after the season
For sure, that's what they said. And I believe they mean it. Just if the OP question is "would you give RC a chance...", the answer was yes, I would. If he got us in the playoffs, and even if he couldn't speak french come October.

But on the bright side for RC, I bet if he pulls us into the playoffs this year, it will look great on his resume, and maybe he doesn't have to care whether we keep him or not. It could help get him a job somewhere else. Me, I was born and raised a Habs fan and learning french was not a big issue. I'd be super-keen to learn it otherwise just to stay in Montreal, fulfilling the dream. But RC... well, I don't think he has the same historic sympathies, and if his performance gives him a chance at a job elsewhere... I wouldn't blame him the least bit either if he chose to use the language issue as motivation to jump ship. Could cut both ways. He's only stuck with a summer of language lessons if Montreal is the only place he can get work.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
ThaDevilGirl

If they feel he's the best coach for the team, yes. But the organization should absolutely look at the available options.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Oh thanks, that is pretty bad, seems like Molson caved in. I can't blame him, he has a business to run, and I believe he had to borrow a lot of money to buy the Habs, so his investors must have a lot of say on this issue too.

Anyone know the actually break down of the Habs ownership. It came out that Bell Media owns 18%, Bulldogs owner Michael Andlauer has some soft of share, I think Molson/Coors still only the 19-20%?
Caved in?

Most jobs in Montreal require being bilingual... heck! My job requires me to understand English and I am not complaining: knowing more than one language is a GOOD thing.

Some Anglo Saxon media and hfboards posters are giving the impression that bilingualism is a bad thing. If Cunneyworth does the job well and if he has an interest for the position, all he has to do is – watch out: the following is, according to some people, an impossible task! – learn a new language.

And learning a new language/culture is not only good from a professional point of view; it also helps you expand your horizon and become a better person.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-13-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote