HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you give Randy Cunneyworth a chance next year?

View Poll Results: Would you give Randy Cunneyworth a chance next year?
Yes i like the way the habs are heading 82 52.23%
No i want to try a new coach 75 47.77%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 50
I'd say we have to wait till the end of the year to see how he does, but I like him. He's done alright for what he was given.

Although if there's a better coach out there for us to pick-up in the off-season, I'd say go for him.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
If this team manages to make the playoffs and then do some damage, I think Cunneyworth should receive consideration.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Unsure if he's good enough. JM was superior even if people won't agree to it. He looks like a players coach like Muller and it depends which direction this team is going. If it's a situation of development, I like him as our coach, but if we're trying to compete, I need a larger sample size.

Unforunately for Cunneyworth, he's in a tough situation from my perspective. I want the team to get a decent pick and to do that he has to lose. So if he wins(and we don't make playoffs) he kinda proves himself, but it leaves me with a bad feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
If this team manages to make the playoffs and then do some damage, I think Cunneyworth should receive consideration.
If he makes the playoffs and they don't re-sign him it's a major fail. To go rock bottom, and the media and controversy and climb back into a playoff position, win or lose in playoffs thats a great testament to his focus and I would hope he'd be rewarded.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
If there's no one better, then yes. That being said, I don't feel comfortable wasting a season on an untested coach. Sure, he helped the team go from terrible to mediocre/slightly above par, but next year's roster should be much better. Can he take a good team and make them great? I don't know.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
MTL-rules

vCash: 500
If there's no bettter option, why not... but frankly, I want a coach with NHL experience and already a Cup ring (as a coach).

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:00 PM
peate
Good grief!

I'd like him to stay, if not as head coach, then as an assistant. The only people making a big deal about the french issue are the french press and a few separatists blowing it out of proportion. I bet 99% of the fans couldn't care less as long as we ice a competitive team, I know I don't.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:01 PM
AllanMTL46

If Gauthier stays, keep Cunneyworth.
If Gauthier is fired, then rebuilt with a new GM and a new coach (hopefully Roy)

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:01 PM
beerbelly

New GM = New coach

My feeling is that Molson will hire a new GM and that is the reason why they didn't let Pierre Gauthier sign a new (french speaking) head coach.

Molson will ask for a coach that speaks french this summer to his new GM.
I would be surprised if RC learns french. Even if he does, I think that he is gone.
But I think that he is not a bad coach at all.
I would keep him as an assistant coach if he wants.

beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Picaroon

vCash: 953
I would give him a chance. He deserves it and the players seem to like him quite a bit.

But, I can totally see Montreal getting rid of him, then Randy getting hired by another team and end up being some wonder coach...

Edit: I like the idea of keeping him as an assistant.

Picaroon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Roke

Cunneyworth's improved from the abomination he was for the first 6 weeks or so of his tenure but I have to say no.

If you are going to keep him that means you're comfortable going with an anglophone coach going forward and I think you should be able to find a better coach out in the market than Randy is.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Toastman

Its not that easy to learn a language over one summer even if you live in a city that speaks it

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:22 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post
I would give him a chance. He deserves it and the players seem to like him quite a bit.

But, I can totally see Montreal getting rid of him, then Randy getting hired by another team and end up being some wonder coach...

Edit: I like the idea of keeping him as an assistant.
I actually think this would be the worst outcome. I'm starting to like him more as a head coach, very agrresvily, putting players in a position to succeed, IMO main reason he is rolling 11 forwards-7 D.

But as the ast coach, he was in charge of the PP, and it has failed greatly this year, no creative at all. If kept he is kept as a head coach, I hope we sign a good offensive ast coach.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Aurel Joliat

Yes !

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Pleky Roks

If Cunneyworth is able to turn this season around and make the playoffs or even just have a really strong finish....then yes....I'd be more than willing to give him another chance last year. I think he must be a good coach and he's well respected in the dressing room from the looks of things....so why mess with that??

A lot of the current Habs played under Cunneyworth when he coached in Hamilton....so they know him and are familiar with his style.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Dharvey33

I understand it was the best time to make this thread but as i said he must be given credit for the success this team is having in the last games. We won against the Islanders and the Pens two of the hottest teams in the league.

In the last few weeks he was given full control on the team since the Martin system seems to be out.

If he continue in this curve of success he could be like Bylsma at his first year (minus the cup probably).

I'd prefer Roy as a coach than Cunneyworth but i'd prefer a lot Cunneyworth to Hartley or Therrien.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

Miss playoffs: They're all gone

Make playoffs: they all stay

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Caved in?

Most jobs in Montreal require being bilingual... heck! My job requires me to understand English and I am not complaining: knowing more than one language is a GOOD thing.

Some Anglo Saxon media and hfboards posters are giving the impression that bilingualism is a bad thing. If Cunneyworth does the job well and if he has an interest for the position, all he has to do is – watch out: the following is, according to some people, an impossible task! – learn a new language.

And learning a new language/culture is not only good from a professional point of view; it also helps you expand your horizon and become a better person.
Well, I doubt you'd find anybody that would deny that it's a good thing in general. Or that in many jobs it is indeed required. I think that the objection which arises in Montreal is over the perception of just whether or not it is required for the specific job of coaching the Montreal Canadiens. At McDonald's the cashier does have to speak to the people that place the orders. Directly. Otherwise the money doesn't come in, the correct food isn't served, etc. At the Molson's Centre... well, the fans don't actually get to pick the line combinations or player matchups, and the media can readily translate "we played well and gave it 100%" and other such hockey cliches and vague injury non-information reports from post-game press-conferences with zero impact on the success of the team.

So is french truly *required* for the coach of the Montreal Canadiens? Well, it's the debate. Raging on and on. But I get why some people can argure that it's not strictly required. Is courtesy *required*? Well, it's nice. I'd personally take the wins over the courtesy. I don't really care what Cunneyworth has to say to me as a fan. I care what he says to his players, and how that translates into on-ice success. The courtesy bit is a luxury. We've had plenty of courtesy from the Habs over the years. I'm a little hungrier for wins at the moment. (Independent of the question of whether Cunneyworth is actually a likely candidate to provide those wins either... he may well not be.)

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
If Cunneyworth is able to turn this season around and make the playoffs or even just have a really strong finish....then yes....I'd be more than willing to give him another chance last year. I think he must be a good coach and he's well respected in the dressing room from the looks of things....so why mess with that??

A lot of the current Habs played under Cunneyworth when he coached in Hamilton....so they know him and are familiar with his style.

It helps

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:53 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, I doubt you'd find anybody that would deny that it's a good thing in general. Or that in many jobs it is indeed required. I think that the objection which arises in Montreal is over the perception of just whether or not it is required for the specific job of coaching the Montreal Canadiens. At McDonald's the cashier does have to speak to the people that place the orders. Directly. Otherwise the money doesn't come in, the correct food isn't served, etc. At the Molson's Centre... well, the fans don't actually get to pick the line combinations or player matchups, and the media can readily translate "we played well and gave it 100%" and other such hockey cliches and vague injury non-information reports from post-game press-conferences with zero impact on the success of the team.

So is french truly *required* for the coach of the Montreal Canadiens? Well, it's the debate. Raging on and on. But I get why some people can argure that it's not strictly required. Is courtesy *required*? Well, it's nice. I'd personally take the wins over the courtesy. I don't really care what Cunneyworth has to say to me as a fan. I care what he says to his players, and how that translates into on-ice success. The courtesy bit is a luxury. We've had plenty of courtesy from the Habs over the years. I'm a little hungrier for wins at the moment. (Independent of the question of whether Cunneyworth is actually a likely candidate to provide those wins either... he may well not be.)
I think if Cunneyworth gets the job he should at least learn basic french. Bonjour, Merci, Bonne chance, yada yada. I think it's a sign of respect to know the basic, but anything more shouldn't be a requirement.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Estimated_Prophet

I would like to see Cunneyworth brought back. It would galvanize the team towards a xenophobic media/fanbase.

I guarantee you that the players can't stand the fans in Montreal and by collectively thumbing their noses at them they will find unity and........WIN!!!!

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
I see whats out there first..

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:43 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
That might be true but Randy Deserves a lot of Credit for this 4 game winning streak he was able to put his system in place and the players are sticking to it. Playing Gill Gomez Kaberle less than 15 minutes is not a idea that grew on trees it was Randy's idea.

The players are playing a lot better but i think they understand the way Randy wants the game to be played and i think it's a lot more entertaining than the way Martin played.
Dont you remember the complain about JM using Darche on the top 6 ? well, guess what... 20 minutes a game...

and Moen on the first line next to Plekanec, that was pretty much a JM idea that everyone hated...

and trying Emelin on the right side, you think it's Connie who thought of this ?

and our PK, who's been #1 pretty much all season, it's now on Connie suddenly ?

as for Kaberle, well Connie used it over 15 minutes a game for close to half of them so...

same for Gomez, used for 15+ minutes in half the games...

come on now, I know you WANT to believe he's better than his predecessor... but most of the things you credit him for were NOT his ideas...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Beendair Donedat

Yes. The games are entertaining to watch, the reins have come off, they are just as good defensively and on the PK, and he doesn't like being pushed around unlike Ears Martin. The team is playing it's best hockey in a long time and its because he's been allowed to implement his system. He's made guys accountable (ie Subban) and seems to have brought stability to a volatile situation.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

I agree with all of the above... however there is a PR aspect (from the team to the journalists to the fans) associated with the job so bilingualism must be, imo, among the prerequisites.

Must it overweight the other prerequisites – such as leadership, communication with the players, implementation of strategies, etc... -?

Of course not.

Let's say Babcock becomes available (one can dream!): after his interview, you give him 90/90 for hockey knowledge, leadership, experience, etc... and 1/10 for his bilingualism – the 1 point is because he mentioned that he was not afraid to learn a new language => 91/100

The interview with Clément Jodoin also went well: the guy scored 79/90 for hockey knowledge, leadership, experience, etc... and 9/10 for bilingualism => 88/100

Babcock wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think if Cunneyworth gets the job he should at least learn basic french. Bonjour, Merci, Bonne chance, yada yada. I think it's a sign of respect to know the basic, but anything more shouldn't be a requirement.
"J'ai aimé l'effort de nos joueurs de soutien"

It is not an impossible task especially if he really wants the job! No one is asking him to become perfectly bilingual within a year or two.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-13-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:15 PM
MXD

Well.... Personally, I would "listen to offers", but wouldn't ignore RC's candidature. RC would be a candidate like every other. And if the Habs make the playoffs, the only way he could be kicked out is if Gauthier is kicked out and the new GM wants to bring his guy -- something GM's always do and is totally unrelated to language.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote