HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part VII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2012, 07:49 PM
  #951
tmljeh19
Registered User
 
tmljeh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
He's hamstrung with zero cap space and isn't going to move big salary.
Then make some room. Put Backs on LTIR that frees up roughly 7M. Move JFS thats what 3.5? Moves can be made he just has no balls to do it.

tmljeh19 is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 07:54 PM
  #952
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 17,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Then make some room. Put Backs on LTIR that frees up roughly 7M. Move JFS thats what 3.5? Moves can be made he just has no balls to do it.
Putting Backstrom on LTIR effectively ends his season, since we have to remain cap compliant. No use of that $6.7M will make more of a difference than Backstrom.

Schultz is only $2.75M.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 07:56 PM
  #953
tmljeh19
Registered User
 
tmljeh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Putting Backstrom on LTIR effectively ends his season, since we have to remain cap compliant. No use of that $6.7M will make more of a difference than Backstrom.

Schultz is only $2.75M.
It ends his regular season. Do you honestly think he is gonna play again before the playoffs if at all this year? He cant even skate.

My bad being off on Schultz but its still roughly 9M of room with those two moves.

tmljeh19 is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 07:58 PM
  #954
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Here is an idea. throw out a legit name of a guy that could replace Semin for that price. I'll wait.

And being second on the team in takeaways isn't an intangible?
No.

Any combination of a 2C and a wing.....pick your poison. If I name 30 guys, you'll crap on them all. Pass.....

And I never said it would only take Semin's 7 mil in salary, but you can redistribute a few million from his salary to the 2C.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 08:02 PM
  #955
Langway
Flow➜Grow
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,507
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Putting Backstrom on LTIR effectively ends his season, since we have to remain cap compliant. No use of that $6.7M will make more of a difference than Backstrom.

Schultz is only $2.75M.
As much as Knuble is well respected and all his $2M can be better spent elsewhere.

Langway is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 08:02 PM
  #956
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
No.

Any combination of a 2C and a wing.....pick your poison. If I name 30 guys, you'll crap on them all. Pass.....
Yes it is much safer to crap all over Semin and pretend the nameless guys who are going to replace him are flawless than actually name a couple guys you'd like to see on the team in his place and have to defend their flaws.

Really that is what you bring to the table in this discussion?

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 08:22 PM
  #957
tmljeh19
Registered User
 
tmljeh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
As much as Knuble is well respected and all his $2M can be better spent elsewhere.
Exactly. There is so much wasted money on this team that can be moved but he has no balls to do so. Its rather sickening to watch it unfold like it is.

tmljeh19 is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 08:37 PM
  #958
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 17,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
It ends his regular season. Do you honestly think he is gonna play again before the playoffs if at all this year? He cant even skate.

My bad being off on Schultz but its still roughly 9M of room with those two moves.
If you're that pessimistic about Backstrom's injury, then there's no point to make additions to this roster. If you're optimistic about his return, you don't have cap space. That's my stance.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 08:46 PM
  #959
tmljeh19
Registered User
 
tmljeh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
If you're that pessimistic about Backstrom's injury, then there's no point to make additions to this roster. If you're optimistic about his return, you don't have cap space. That's my stance.
My point is you LTIR him now to free up room immediately. He can come off at anytime. Make a move for a very much needed 2C RIGHT NOW who can help this team RIGHT NOW. This team will out of it by the TDL at this pace. Then move Knuble, Schultz, Ward, Laich, Hamrlik or whomever for picks to get under. Hell you can keep Nick on LTIR until the playoffs bring him back and not have to move anyone.

tmljeh19 is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 08:52 PM
  #960
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass
 
Mr Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
As much as Knuble is well respected and all his $2M can be better spent elsewhere.
Better spent money could make a long list.

Mr Gone is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 08:53 PM
  #961
Roughing
Registered User
 
Roughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
Better spent money could make a long list.
Starting with the guy responsible for many of these contracts.

Roughing is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 09:34 PM
  #962
bonzaibondra12
Registered User
 
bonzaibondra12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
No.

Any combination of a 2C and a wing.....pick your poison. If I name 30 guys, you'll crap on them all. Pass.....

And I never said it would only take Semin's 7 mil in salary, but you can redistribute a few million from his salary to the 2C.
Semin isn't make 7 million, and is making what he is now because it is a one year deal. You know how NFL players make a ton on a one year franchise tag? It is a huge risk for a player to take a one year deal so they get more salary.

You can name 30, but you named 0. You've thrown out a 4 goal scorer so far.

bonzaibondra12 is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 10:14 PM
  #963
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 17,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
My point is you LTIR him now to free up room immediately. He can come off at anytime. Make a move for a very much needed 2C RIGHT NOW who can help this team RIGHT NOW. This team will out of it by the TDL at this pace. Then move Knuble, Schultz, Ward, Laich, Hamrlik or whomever for picks to get under. Hell you can keep Nick on LTIR until the playoffs bring him back and not have to move anyone.
Do you really need to have it explained to you why that idea wouldn't work? Remember what happened to Eric Belanger? Basing a move off of a future move that's supposed to happen almost never works. There's no guarantee we could find a suitor to take poor contracts off our hands at a reasonable return (without sending any salary back our way), especially with the TDL this close. Not to mention that there's not really many, if any, 2Cs available on the trade market for anything short of an absurd price right now. Unless you want to go all in on Carter, which likely involves opening new holes on the roster, there aren't many sellers with quality centers that aren't part of their future plans.

And there's no guarantee that the new players spark us into the playoffs. Nor that Backstrom would be anywhere close to effective if we only bring him back int he playoffs without any games to help him get his rhythm back.

Your idea is full of more holes than McPhee's plan. Which is saying something.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 10:31 PM
  #964
ahimsa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Man Kipprosoff is a good goalie. Too bad he'll never win a Stanley Cup so long as he's with Calgary.

ahimsa is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 10:59 PM
  #965
Langway
Flow➜Grow
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,507
vCash: 50

Langway is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 11:06 PM
  #966
HTFN
Registered User
 
HTFN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,142
vCash: 500
Playoffs aside, with multiple big defensemen off the market and a high price, I don't know how you can't sell Wideman at this point in time. There's just too much to gain to bank on a good playoff showing.

HTFN is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 11:10 PM
  #967
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
Playoffs aside, with multiple big defensemen off the market and a high price, I don't know how you can't sell Wideman at this point in time. There's just too much to gain to bank on a good playoff showing.
I am not for a massive sell-off, but I am for this. Cash in on his inflated value while you can.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 12:01 AM
  #968
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I am not for a massive sell-off, but I am for this. Cash in on his inflated value while you can.
If Backstrom and Green come back for good and the team makes the playoffs and plays well for itself but falls short due to defensive depth (like almost every year), the fallout would be enormous

Halpysback* is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 12:27 AM
  #969
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Semin isn't make 7 million, and is making what he is now because it is a one year deal. You know how NFL players make a ton on a one year franchise tag? It is a huge risk for a player to take a one year deal so they get more salary.

You can name 30, but you named 0. You've thrown out a 4 goal scorer so far.
Like I said man, he's just shy of 7 and has been for a few years. That's what he earns.

I don't need to name 30 players for you to waste my time on. Do your own thinking instead of asking to be spoonfed.

Blind Semin supporters have long been in the land of denial. He can be replaced just like anyone. Kuznetzov plus a decent 2C and opposite winger might easily replace his production and then some.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 12:50 AM
  #970
artilector
Registered User
 
artilector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
If Backstrom and Green come back for good and the team makes the playoffs and plays well for itself but falls short due to defensive depth (like almost every year), the fallout would be enormous
This reminds me of an old Russian joke:

- Children, which country makes the best cars?
- The Soviet Union!
- Which country makes the best candy?
- The Soviet Union!
- Which country makes the best toys?
- The Soviet Union!
- Vova, why are you crying?
- I want to live in the Soviet Union!!!

I too want to live in the universe where Wideman is realistically the missing ingredient in this team winning the Stanley Cup this year

artilector is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 12:53 AM
  #971
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Like I said man, he's just shy of 7 and has been for a few years. That's what he earns.

I don't need to name 30 players for you to waste my time on. Do your own thinking instead of asking to be spoonfed.

Blind Semin supporters have long been in the land of denial. He can be replaced just like anyone. Kuznetzov plus a decent 2C and opposite winger might easily replace his production and then some.
And doing nothing 'might' result in even better....

Can you name 5 guys? 3? 1? Can you give us anything to work with?

Semin was great tonight. If Ovechkin was half as good the Caps win that game. I don't agree with it but I understand why so many have disliked Semin so much over the years. But Semin is not the reason this team isn't what it should be these days.

I know that is hard to admit after hating on the guy for so long but...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 01:02 AM
  #972
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
If one of Green, Carlson or Orlov goes down in the playoffs (which will happen), without Wideman this team is toast. Wideman's no world beater but he can provide close to half a game of above average puck movement and average to above average defense in a pinch. That can be the difference between winning and losing a series.

If he goes for a complete steal (1st + 2nd or 1st + prospect with good chance at an NHL career), it may be worth the risk, but teams are being conservative as hell with 1sts. I can't see any team in the playoff hunt willing to pay a premium for him now that Philly is set on defense. Boston wouldn't take him back, everyone else in a playoff spot has defensemen coming out their ass. Maybe Jersey or Chicago, but neither will pay premium.

Halpysback* is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 01:08 AM
  #973
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
And doing nothing 'might' result in even better....

Can you name 5 guys? 3? 1? Can you give us anything to work with?

Semin was great tonight. If Ovechkin was half as good the Caps win that game. I don't agree with it but I understand why so many have disliked Semin so much over the years. But Semin is not the reason this team isn't what it should be these days.

I know that is hard to admit after hating on the guy for so long but...
Nonsense. Ales Hemsky and his 4 goals and crap defense brings everything Semin does and then some

Halpysback* is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 01:30 AM
  #974
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,417
vCash: 500
If Wides doesn't get a 1st it's because good GMs see the holes in his game.

Maybe Van would want him as depth. Or Dallas or Minn? I'm only guessing. Dmen are a commodity this time of year.

Wides plays hard. I respect his attitude. I just don't like his lack of hockey sense. He tries to be a wild west gunslinger but he's too much like Barney Fife.

Atlas is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 02:07 AM
  #975
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
If Backstrom and Green come back for good and the team makes the playoffs and plays well for itself but falls short due to defensive depth (like almost every year), the fallout would be enormous
Wideman isn't that guy. He's good, don't get me wrong. I'm not among those who thinks he sucks. But he's not the difference-maker in a Cup run.

And I just think this is his career year. He is very unlikely to improve on it. He will get top dollar next year and with Gill and Kubina already traded, excepting a Suter trade, he may be the hot D on the market this TDL. GMGM has to capture that value. Could yeild a good piece, not just picks or prospects if some GM is smitten and willing to overpay.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.