Old
02-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Jets trade Riley Holzapfel to Anaheim for Maxime Macenauer

Confirmed.

Quote:
One trade did go down Monday: The Winnipeg Jets acquired center Maxime Macenauer from the Ducks for forward Riley Holzapfel.

Macenauer played a penalty killing role in his 29 games with the Ducks this season but was currently in the American Hockey League.

Holzapfel has yet to make his NHL debut.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:09 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
I think it is now.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
neato

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
hmmm....

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:13 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I'm surprised they got anything at all for Holzapfel. Drafted in 2006 and has never played an NHL game yet.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Jets have 23 on their roster, correct? And Flood apparently is being kept up. Hmm indeed.

Edit: nvm, didn't realize that Macenauer had been sent down to the AHL.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
IMckay

vCash: 50
Minor deal again but we definitely won this one I think. Holza is a guy that seems to have really tapered off and it doesn't look like he'll be able to make the bigs. Mac is a year younger and has already played 30 NHL games, apparently looking decent and has ok potential as 4th liner. From reading the ducks fans reactions they are suprised as they thought he played pretty well.

IMckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Holzapfel was someone who was high in ATL depth chart a few years ago, but has seemingly stalled in the American League. From what I can recall, he is a jack of all trades, master of none type of guy who's NHL future is looking like a long shot at best at this point.

Macenauer is a little bigger, but he does not have the two way upside that Holzapfel had/has. He is more of a defense only grinder. He was really only in the NHL though since ANA has pretty terrible depth forwards. I doubt he is ever an everyday player, but as a guy to call up for injuries he is a hard worker and grinds pretty well, I think.

Not a bad deal, looks very similiar to the Esposito/McArdle deal where we get depth guy that can be a grinder 14th forward/AHL callup in exchange for a prospect who is very very close to busting.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Another incredible move.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Fallenity

vCash: 950
From my perspective, I think you guys won this trade. Mac was liked for his work ethic and I at least was seriously surprised when he got dropped to the AHL. He doesn't have much offensive capabilities, but is a serious grinder along the edges, winning puck battles. Has potential to become a good defensive bottom-6 center.

Hope the Jets give him a chance on the NHL level, this is a deal that could come to bite us. Apparently Holzapfel hasn't played in the NHL yet..?

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
From my perspective, I think you guys won this trade. Mac was liked for his work ethic and I at least was seriously surprised when he got dropped to the AHL. He doesn't have much offensive capabilities, but is a serious grinder along the edges, winning puck battles. Has potential to become a good defensive bottom-6 center.

Hope the Jets give him a chance on the NHL level, this is a deal that could come to bite us. Apparently Holzapfel hasn't played in the NHL yet..?
Nope.

And imo I don't think he ever will.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Fallenity

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Nope.

And imo I don't think he ever will.
Shame, maybe Mace just didn't fit with BB's system, don't understand otherwise why he got traded. Plus he was very good on the PK and faceoffs.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Good stuff. I didn't have high hopes for Riley and it doesn't sound like many of our Atlanta friends did. I like this.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:39 PM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

My guess is that this is the move that puts the Jets over the edge - start planning that parade, boys.

Just kidding, of course.

The cupboard was somewhat empty when the Jets landed in May, so one of the thousands of tasks the Jets had to do was fill in the missing pieces in three organizations, and this is nothing more than strengthening the depth of the IceCaps.

Macenauer probably will never see NHL time with the Jets, but should be an upgrade for the St. John's roster.

DarthMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Meh, it is what it is. At least some Ducks fans seem a bit disappointed. Some even say they thought Maxime Macenauer was their future 4th line center.

It may be a minor deal, and some will be unhappy that this is yet another deal for St. John's, but the fact of the matter is any time you can trade a piece with (likely) no NHL future for an asset with the likelihood/potential of having an NHL future of some sort, it's a fine deal to make.

This is one of those deals that we may look back on and think, hey, that was a pretty decent minor deal, if Maxime Macenauer does indeed give us some NHL time and who knows, perhaps occupies a spot on our 4th line full time one day. You just never know.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:51 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Don't anyone say Chevy hasn't been making moves.

Start planning the parade.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Jets1975

Yawn.

Jets1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:54 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Esposito, Aliu and Holzapfel for McArdle, Negrin and Macenauer.

The players we lost were more "name" players, but the guys we received at least have the potential to contribute in the NHL some day (except for maybe Negrin).

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Which is a shame about Negrin, in his draft year he was projected to be a potential top-10 pick before an injury cleaned out most of his season and his stock dived several rounds.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:03 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
I like it.
If you can win a every trade you make, eventually it leads to success. Obviously this isn't an organizatino changing move, but little things like this need to be done to improve the organization as a whole.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:13 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Not a huge move, but I think the Jets came out on top of this one. Someone who's logged real NHL time, for someone who hasn't had a cup of coffee after being drafted in 2006?

Might be a small / insignificant trade, but these type of trades have to get done. IMHO, our cupboard of assets got a slight bit fuller - who's to say that Macenauer won't play a part in a LARGER trade later?

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:15 PM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post

garbage in, garbage out.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Fordsy33

Possible replacement for UFA Jim Slater? #19 could be walking in the summer..if not at the deadline.

Fordsy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:31 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordsy33 View Post
Possible replacement for UFA Jim Slater? #19 could be walking in the summer..if not at the deadline.
This is what I was initially afraid of. With that said, I do not see Chevy giving Slater-like minutes to Max. Not next year anyway

No Name Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Fordsy33

With Mac, Cormier and Scheifele on the way, a spot at centre has to open up somewhere. I'm excited to see what else is coming now.

Fordsy33 is offline   Reply With Quote