Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets trade Riley Holzapfel to Anaheim for Maxime Macenauer

Old
02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 500
Not sure why this trade bothers anyone. At best, we ended up with a better player. At worst, it was a wash. The organization seems to be proceeding with the plan they said they were going to follow.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:26 PM
nags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
Lol. Look at Mr. GM over here. It was fairly clear that TNSE said they wanted to assess the team for 1 year before making any major moves. Why can't people wrap their heads around that. You don't think the first thing other GM's were doing when he got put in place was trying to underbuy from him? This happens lots of times with new GMs walking into a new organization.. take a look at the Oilers and Tambellini in 08-09
Exactly correct. TNSE is a very deliberate organization. People need to get used to that.

And who's to say Chevy and Zinger haven't actually picked up a diamond in the rough. If anyone is going to find hidden talent in the AHL, it will be these two guys.

nags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:32 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/Maxime_Macenauer

nice write up here

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Hank Chinaski

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
Not sure why this trade bothers anyone. At best, we ended up with a better player. At worst, it was a wash. The organization seems to be proceeding with the plan they said they were going to follow.
This. I guess for some, acquiring a fringe NHLer for a non-prospect is a glaring example of why this management team is flawed and not doing its job. Guided by that logic, you might as well deploy a spam bot that says "Chevy sucks, he's not doing his job" each and every day he doesn't make a major league acquisition.

It boggles my mind how a GM can essentially come out and state that he won't build this team through rash trades, and that this would essentially be a year of evaluation, yet people still come out of the woodwork to cite his inactivity (or in this case, activity, kinda funny no?) as the reason he's a hack AHL-level GM.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:04 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 851
Why criticize Chevy on the deal. It wasn't a blockbuster but IMO we got the better player. There are many low level trades to every big one. I think Chevy will surprise us once before the deadline...it won't be a monster, but we will nod our heads in agreement.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Nice trade.

He's a physical checking center which is especially nice to have on our depth. Our AHL team is getting a little banged up at times, so it's nice to see the team traded a softer player for someone who can crash and bang. This helps protect some of the other prospects who are currently playing in the AHL.

That and he's played NHL games, so it would appear he has clear upside over Holzapfel.

It's also nice to see that ex-Atlanta fans aren't bitter and wouldn't try to create a problem out of thin air.

Maybe they should go rag on the Florida board where Dale Tallon makes dozens of these types of trades. Minor league GM my ass.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Ulf Hullberg

Gagnon, Maxwell, Cormier and Macenauer sure gives us a lot of bottom 6 depth down the middle.

I wonder who pulls out of this glut of role players and wins a job with the Jets next year.

Ulf Hullberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoBuff View Post
Gagnon, Maxwell, Cormier and Macenauer sure gives us a lot of bottom 6 depth down the middle.

I wonder who pulls out of this glut of role players and wins a job with the Jets next year.
I'm wondering the same thing.

Hopefully we can pull a pseudo Ottawa Senators and use our former AHL depth to really strengthen the big club next year to shut up the haters.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

I'm glad to see Chevy sorting through things from the bottom up. You can never have enough depth, and TN knows this from their AHL roots. Gives me a good feeling for the future, that they are into everything. Keeping the farm team under their control speaks mounds as to their plans.

Kinjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

Couldn't remember if Maxime had played in Winnipeg when the Ducks came to Winnipeg December 17, so checked the game sheet on NHL.com to see if he did not. He did not.

Then I find out on the Hockey News website that he actually was sent down to Syracuse on December 17.

Quote:
2011/12/17: Maxime Macenauer has been sent to the minors. Macenauer will report to AHL Syracuse. He has four points and 18 penalty minutes in 29 games with the Ducks this season. (Source: Ducks.nhl.com)
The previous entry in the "player news" of his bio on the Hockey News site indicates that the Ducks had been pleased with his play. Sounds like he was getting some PK action.

Quote:
2011/11/04: The Anaheim Ducks have been pleased with the overall play of Maxime Macenauer through the first month of the season. Macenauer almost made the Ducks last season out of training camp but spent a full season in Syracuse. He has taken over the role of the retired Todd Marchant and has been an excellent penalty killer in the early going. "All year in Syracuse, they were there and talked to me about that role," Macenauer said about taking on a checking role would be the quickest route to the NHL. "I knew they were expecting me to be that role, maybe a Marchant role. Just try to keep things simple and so far it's good." He has no fantasy value at this time. (Source: Orange County Register)

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...i?11163#283928

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:12 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

good depth signing.

im glad true north is committed to making a run for the cup.

just wish it was the other one.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
It boggles my mind how a GM can essentially come out and state that he won't build this team through rash trades, and that this would essentially be a year of evaluation, yet people still come out of the woodwork to cite his inactivity (or in this case, activity, kinda funny no?) as the reason he's a hack AHL-level GM.
I'm afraid that Chevy is going to keep the 'hack AHL-level GM' stigma until he proves he is capable of making a move that will benefit the NHL team.

Now if he wants to sits on his hands for another 6 months, a year or however long time he deems necessary, then I'm sorry but the stigma is going to remain.

This is NHL son. If you sit inactive, other teams will pass you by. At the start of the offseason just prior to the relocation, I think most people would agree that Atlanta Thrashers were a better team than Florida Panthers. By the end of the offseason, Florida had improved their team to go past the current Winnipeg Jets and as a result they have a very good chance at winning the division this season.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:52 AM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
I'm afraid that Chevy is going to keep the 'hack AHL-level GM' stigma until he proves he is capable of making a move that will benefit the NHL team.

Now if he wants to sits on his hands for another 6 months, a year or however long time he deems necessary, then I'm sorry but the stigma is going to remain.

This is NHL son. If you sit inactive, other teams will pass you by. At the start of the offseason just prior to the relocation, I think most people would agree that Atlanta Thrashers were a better team than Florida Panthers. By the end of the offseason, Florida had improved their team to go past the current Winnipeg Jets and as a result they have a very good chance at winning the division this season.
I hope you understand that the relationship between St.John's and Winnipeg is far better than the old one between Chicago and Atlanta. Considering all the injuries, especially at defense, this season Winnipeg was able overcome those challenges. Coaching staff in the organization is one the same line, unlike with ATL/ CHI in the old days. I'm convinced that the organization would be much closer to seller status right now if still in Atlanta, because injury call-ups wouldn't have meshed this well.

I hate to say this and I apologize to people like videofarmer & others. Most Thrasher fans never understood how a successful NHL organization needs to be build. Trading draft picks and prospects is exactly the wrong way. Very few realized how important active development in the AHL is. My friends in Atlanta told me that slow process was set in motion after 2007-08 when more folks asked questions about the relationship between CHI and ATL and about the sub-par draft results.

Florida last made the playoffs in 2000 while Winnipeg last made the playoffs in? This is a new team which isn't under pressure to the make the playoffs and to fill the building like Atlanta. There's no desperation and pressure to the fill the building because of relocation rumors like in Atlanta. MTSC is sold out for five years and they are no relocation rumors here. Nobody is desperate and under pressure!!! I suggest that you set your clock back to 2004 or 2005 and look at the current franchise again.

AF1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:25 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 233
Quote:
New Jersey traded for Alexei Ponikarovsky.

He may only be a 3rd liner but he has improved that team.
So Alexei Ponikarovsky's your litmus test?
really?

the NHL's been silent. few trades. Too many teams close to the playoffs, so no one's willing to make a move. wait 1 week.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:38 AM
King Woodballs
**** This Place

vCash: 375
Quote:

I don't know if you have been watching.... but pretty well every team has been inactive so far.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:02 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1982 View Post
I hope you understand that the relationship between St.John's and Winnipeg is far better than the old one between Chicago and Atlanta. Considering all the injuries, especially at defense, this season Winnipeg was able overcome those challenges. Coaching staff in the organization is one the same line, unlike with ATL/ CHI in the old days. I'm convinced that the organization would be much closer to seller status right now if still in Atlanta, because injury call-ups wouldn't have meshed this well.

I hate to say this and I apologize to people like videofarmer & others. Most Thrasher fans never understood how a successful NHL organization needs to be build. Trading draft picks and prospects is exactly the wrong way. Very few realized how important active development in the AHL is. My friends in Atlanta told me that slow process was set in motion after 2007-08 when more folks asked questions about the relationship between CHI and ATL and about the sub-par draft results.

Florida last made the playoffs in 2000 while Winnipeg last made the playoffs in? This is a new team which isn't under pressure to the make the playoffs and to fill the building like Atlanta. There's no desperation and pressure to the fill the building because of relocation rumors like in Atlanta. MTSC is sold out for five years and they are no relocation rumors here. Nobody is desperate and under pressure!!! I suggest that you set your clock back to 2004 or 2005 and look at the current franchise again.
Nice post and thanks for your perspective. Most Winnipeg fans have no problem with slow and steady, which is how most contenders are built. Winnipegers saw a lot of the current crop of Canucks develop in front of their eyes. I think it was Detroit that used the word "over-ripen" their young players in the minnors before they bring them up. That way their ready and hungry. You can only do this with a strong cooperative farm system. IMO we are a lot better off building a strong foundation before we try to buy some new furnature.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:15 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1982 View Post

No need to apologize. Although there used to be plenty of Thrashers fans that understood the process, most of them aren't still around. There was a wide gamut of opinions and comprehension levels just like there is among Jets fans. This board seems to have a high percentage of fans that "get it" but others who don't are out there too, I gather, from reading the comments about the radio show callers after games. As an example, the same debates that went on among Winnipeg fans about whether Scheifele should stay up or go back and develop happened between Thrashers fans over whether Burmi should make the team or not. Unfortunately the decisions of the management didn't always reflect the views of the fans.

The Jets are in the rare situation of having the freedom to build the roster without any pressure to give the fans some kind of gratification quickly (you already got a huge dose of it anyway!) and they should take full advantage of it. The worst thing I can say about Chevy is that I haven't seen enough form him to make a judgement about his performance, but what I have seen is that he is sticking to the plan presented before the season even started, may have picked up some questionable waiver wire players that did not create cap hit pressure and that he certainly has not been hosed in any of the lower level trades he has made to date. And that's not a horrible thing to say.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:

Hey man, I hear ya on that last paragraph. Really, I wouldn't mind seeing this small, soft team get blown up six ways from Sunday. TNSE needs to put their own stamp on the Jets, and the less this team resembles the Thrashers in any way, shape or form, the better.

I guess it's just that I question the logic of calling Chevy on the carpet, so to speak, for making what essentially amounts to a minor league swap that likely improves the organization. It suggest one of two things:

a) One should employ that spambot, get him to post "Chevy sucks, not doing his job" at 12 midnight (Winnipeg time please), each and every day he doesn't pull the trigger on a major deal. If you're going to rail on him when he makes a minor swap, why not be consistent?

b) Perhaps there's a bit of red mist lingering from the moment Cheveldayoff was hired. I don't want to use the term 'agenda', but it does make me chuckle that this transaction is used as a soapbox for anti-Chevy rhetoric. You've got Mittens off waivers, acquiring Fehr, heck, even drafting Scheifele as more appropriate segues to bash Chevy.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
If only the Jets had traded for Alex Ponikarovsky.

LOL

This thread is hilarious.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

LOL

How dare you not list the other trades that would have bolstered our team. There have been a ton of quality trades made to date, and all Chevy has been doing is sitting on his hands. Fire him.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Quote:

Not to be rude, ok I am going to be very rude, The Atlanta Thrashers did nothing in their entire existence as a franchise. Nothing. The only thing good that org did was suck that it ended moving to Winnipeg which we are all very grateful for.

The old Atlanta org left the new Winnipeg Org with very little in the way of assets. We don't have a ton of top notch prospects. We had to build an AHL team that was viable. We are not going to trade away Kovalchuk for some magic beans again or get Zhitnik for Coburn. Remember those fantastic deals?

Let's not get foolish and repeat the mistakes of Atlanta

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

LOL

And, if the amount of great trades made this season by other GM's isn't enough to prove my point in my post above, you also fail to mention the quality UFA signings made on or after July 1st.

- Scottie Upshall (3.5 million / 4 years)
- Joel Ward (3 million / 3 years)
- Ville Leino (4.5 million / 6 years)
- Tim Connolly (4.75 million / 2 years)
- Jamie Langenbrunner - A RW!!! former Captain, Stanley Cup winner (2.8 million / 1 year)

Chevy should have or could have at least done something! Even Don Waddell did something, at least he tried. There is a total of $18.55 million combined here in these 5 great UFA signings over ONE season, and look what they are doing for their teams and how the GM who brilliantly signed them is being rewarded. You can have all of this and what does your team get? A combined 21 goals in a total of 213 games for 18.55 million this season. A steal. At least these GM's tried.

And... Anthony Stewart. Don't get me started on Anthony Stewart. If his 4 goals in his final 45 games last season wasn't enough to keep him, what does Chevy and management do? let him go... for nothing. Where is he now? He passed through waivers just last week, which means 28 other GM's besides Chevy and Jim Rutherford clearly made a mistake. AHL GM's at best trying to cut it in the NHL... THE NHL.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Can't help but feel that the name Alex Ponikarovsky was initially dropped here for purely comedic purposes. If so, kudos.

I'm guessing that Chevy didn't trade for him because he's actually seen him play.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

The idea that Chevy has to do something or risk getting "left behind" is frustrating. Unless you believe that the overall talent level in the NHL is ever-increasing, it doesn't make sense. Some teams get better and some teams get worse. Standing pat does not mean you get passed by the 29 other teams.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Like others, I don't mean to be rude but I can't help but chuckle when I see posters from the old Atlanta days criticizing our management and implying that Chevy is taking a good thing and ruining it.

This Atlanta team was HORRIBLY run. If anyone is going to tell us they know what direction this team needs to head in, I doubt it's going to be someone who watched this team get run into the ground year after year.

Chevy deserves his assessment period. He's entitled to that and if he needs it to do a better job in the future, so be it. I'm not up for asking him to build Rome in a day.

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote