Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets trade Riley Holzapfel to Anaheim for Maxime Macenauer

Old
02-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Huffer

vCash: 958
A great GM can have his team competing for the playoffs and or cup year after year, AND have a very well run and decently stocked prospect pool.

Some GM's can either have their team in the playoffs continually and have terrible prospect pools to show for it (by mortgaging the future repeatedly), or have no hope for the playoffs and have a great prospect pool to show for it (by drafting low repeatedly).

What makes a terrible GM? How about not making the playoffs for many years, AND not having anything in the pipeline in the way of prospects? It takes a special kind of incompetence to pull that off.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
A great GM can have his team competing for the playoffs and or cup year after year, AND have a very well run and decently stocked prospect pool.

Some GM's can either have their team in the playoffs continually and have terrible prospect pools to show for it (by mortgaging the future repeatedly), or have no hope for the playoffs and have a great prospect pool to show for it (by drafting low repeatedly).

What makes a terrible GM? How about not making the playoffs for many years, AND not having anything in the pipeline in the way of prospects? It takes a special kind of incompetence to pull that off.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 500
Is Alexei Zhitnik available? Scheifle for Zhitnik

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Only Poni can save us now.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Only Poni can save us now.
And if only Chevy wasn't sitting on his hands we could have also acquired Brendan Morrison. But no, Chevy let him go to Chicago and is clearly not even trying to improve this team.

$10 says Chevy spends most of his time playing NHL12, Be A GM Mode (of course) and he is guiding the St. John's Ice Caps to AHL glory while letting the Jets sit unattended. Heisinger probably comes over and sits beside him, gives his input on trades and stuff.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:24 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
And if only Chevy wasn't sitting on his hands we could have also acquired Brendan Morrison. But no, Chevy let him go to Chicago and is clearly not even trying to improve this team.

$10 says Chevy spends most of his time playing NHL12, Be A GM Mode (of course) and he is guiding the St. John's Ice Caps to AHL glory while letting the Jets sit unattended. Heisinger probably comes over and sits beside him, gives his input on trades and stuff.

post of the thread

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
He should really try switching to Rookie difficulty. An AHL GM like him clearly can't handle Pro.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

All Poni jokes aside, he did have pretty good chemistry with Antro in Toronto.

All we need now is the third part of that line: Mats Sundin

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:40 PM
The Fat Kid
1999-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Like others, I don't mean to be rude but I can't help but chuckle when I see posters from the old Atlanta days criticizing our management and implying that Chevy is taking a good thing and ruining it.

This Atlanta team was HORRIBLY run. If anyone is going to tell us they know what direction this team needs to head in, I doubt it's going to be someone who watched this team get run into the ground year after year.

Chevy deserves his assessment period. He's entitled to that and if he needs it to do a better job in the future, so be it. I'm not up for asking him to build Rome in a day.
come down off your high horse for a minute then.

are people that follow the franchise not allowed to give their opinions on a GMs moves? is your opinion supposed to be more highly valued because you're a winnipeger over an atliens?

does the fact that we were fans of a terribly run franchise some how discredit our knowledge?

The Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
He should really try switching to Rookie difficulty. An AHL GM like him clearly can't handle Pro.
I support this message.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Kid View Post

are people that follow the franchise not allowed to give their opinions on a GMs moves? is your opinion supposed to be more highly valued because you're a winnipeger over an atliens?

does the fact that we were fans of a terribly run franchise some how discredit our knowledge?
No, unfortunately like most things on the internet, I think the vocal minority that posts ideas contrary to a large majority of accepted opinion (not only by people on message forums but even published/respected hockey writers and pundits abroad) discredits your knowledge.

That minority shouldn't be held as the "stereotypical" former Thrasher fans, but unfortunately on internet message boards, it is.

unrelated: I want "if only we had poni" to become a meem

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Aerial

Chevy, why won't you buy us a Poni?

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:03 PM
The Fat Kid
1999-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
No, unfortunately like most things on the internet, I think the vocal minority that posts ideas contrary to a large majority of accepted opinion (not only by people on message forums but even published/respected hockey writers and pundits abroad) discredits your knowledge.

That minority shouldn't be held as the "stereotypical" former Thrasher fans, but unfortunately on internet message boards, it is.
is this steering towards the north saying the south doesn't know about hockey?

Old
02-14-2012, 01:05 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
is this steering towards the north saying the south doesn't know about hockey?
how did you get that from his statement?

Old
02-14-2012, 01:06 PM
The Fat Kid
1999-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
how did you get that from his statement?
couldn't get anything else out of... i just know i'm often told to stick to nascar.

one person from atlanta made a negative comment about the GM then people start saying atlantans don't know **** about hockey because we had a **** franchise

Old
02-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

We could have had this.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:09 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
couldn't get anything else out of... i just know i'm often told to stick to nascar.
yeah you are kind of right

I re read it again.

I dont think he is saying that... but refering to the media I guess.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:09 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
We could have had this.

without the ugly jerseys and the self entitlement

Old
02-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

I think the first thing to note, everyone that posts here is following this franchise. Some longer than others, yes. But that's where it starts to get tricky.

For whatever reason, hockey discussion tends to get obfuscated by claims of "following x team longer" or "having played hockey at a high level", as though it somehow adds validity to an opinion. It's almost like a science undergrad proposing a project to a prof, and the prof dismissing the experiment because "I've got a Ph. D" and "I've been studying molecular bio for 30 years longer than you have".

Some opinions have more validity than others, of course. But why does it have to become a question of background?

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:12 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I asked Chevy for a Poni for Christmas and all I got was "Mittens". Chevy always finds ways to "Dodge" my requests but he insists that he's being "Fehr".

Because he's sat by on his hands and hasn't made a significant move, we will miss the playoffs and my tears will "Flood" a "Little Ladd's Wheeler". At least he hasn't given away my "Kane".

Last edited by untouchable21: 02-14-2012 at 01:19 PM.
untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:24 PM
The Fat Kid
1999-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I think the first thing to note, everyone that posts here is following this franchise. Some longer than others, yes. But that's where it starts to get tricky.

For whatever reason, hockey discussion tends to get obfuscated by claims of "following x team longer" or "having played hockey at a high level", as though it somehow adds validity to an opinion. It's almost like a science undergrad proposing a project to a prof, and the prof dismissing the experiment because "I've got a Ph. D" and "I've been studying molecular bio for 30 years longer than you have".

Some opinions have more validity than others, of course. But why does it have to become a question of background?
my NHL 96 team was undefeated - that's all the background you need...

Old
02-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Snowman

I think a lot of people that post on here really think it's as easy to build a Stanley Cup winner in the NHL as it is in their NHL12 game.

They go by: "Well, I was able to take the Jets in NHL12 and through some shrewd trades was able to win the SC in my very first year as GM... why can't Chevy do that??"

They just can't fathom that there is actually another human GM that has to want to make a deal... not just an Intel processor.

Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:

one person from atlanta made a negative comment about the GM then people start saying atlantans don't know **** about hockey because we had a **** franchise
Sorry that is not at all what I was trying to go for.

I was attempting to state that it seems general consensus that big flashy trades/free agent signings are often unlikely to yield the expected result and that the "wait and build" approach is usually considered superior.

I wasn't trying to be confrontational and was hoping to merely point out that message boards and anonymous forums generally lead people to making rash, sweeping, and unfair assumptions about each other and their opinions.

Thus a few people (in this case Atlantians) making statements that many do not agree with, people will often just assume you hold the same ideas.

I do not want a north vs south debate, as i firmly believe if you like a sport and follow it, then your as educated on it as anyone else that's put the same energy and love into it, regardless of where your from.

Again i apologies if i wasn't clear, I firmly do NOT believe that your opinion is inferior, merely trying to highlight that the aggressive echo chamber that online forums generally create is why your likely to get "i know more then you" responses.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Denny 204

Chevy had me scratching my head with his draft choice and obviously his big signing of Eric Fehr didn't pan out so I am having my doubts on what he can do.

I'd like to see something done. He neither increased our prospect pool or our current roster yet.

I just hope TNSE isn't holding him back by not allowing him to spend any money. We are in the top 10 in revenue, I think we earned a goodt team in the next few years.

Denny 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:26 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny 204 View Post
Chevy had me scratching my head with his draft choice and obviously his big signing of Eric Fehr didn't pan out so I am having my doubts on what he can do.

I'd like to see something done. He neither increased our prospect pool or our current roster yet.

I just hope TNSE isn't holding him back by not allowing him to spend any money. We are in the top 10 in revenue, I think we earned a goodt team in the next few years.
How many times does TN have to say publicly we are gonna build this team through the draft not through free agency?????? Of course they are holding him back not letting him spend big money on free agents...they have said many many times this is the way they intend to do business. So we can all dream of the quick fix to make a run in the next year or two but this will not happen IMHO

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote