HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

L. Schenn for Stastny

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2012, 09:11 PM
  #76
JoemAvs
Registered User
 
JoemAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Pittsburgh is also a cap team, with 2 of the best centres in the world, for whom it doesn't matter who the wingers are (even though they actually have pretty good ones). Duchene/O'Reilly aren't at that level.

If the Avs truly had the spending ability to be at the cap, they wouldn't be at the floor. They may have left a $4-5m buffer, but not the $10m+. There isn't a team in the league that would artificially limit their success.



As mentioned above, thinking that the Avs are magically going to become a cap team is living in a fantasy world. You talk about "saving the money for young guys" -- if the Avs had money to spend, they wouldn't have needed to. They're over $42m off the cap for next year!!

It's a good thing you're not running the Avs -- making decisions based on emotion rather than objectivity.

Stastny is a better goalscorer (and player) than Connolly, so of course he's going to have more success with crappy players. If you acquired Connolly, you'd have the budget space to spend on wingers... which would also be included in a deal with Toronto.
Ok lets follow your twisted logic for once.
Lets say trading Stastny makes sense because otherwise there would be too much money locked up into the most important position in hockey. Why would we give him away to the Leafs?
Why not just acquire a young top line potential winger to compliment ROR/Duchene? In a trade they will come cheaper as by trying to get one in Free agency. Why should we replace Stastnys cap hit with the burden of Connoly making 4.75m as a 4th liner for another season? Does not make too much sense huh?

JoemAvs is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:14 PM
  #77
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
The question is...IF Grabo hits the open market, do you believe that he'll get 4-4.5, because I'm not so sure...
If the Leafs resign him, it will likely be before July 1st.. If after, it would still be less then 6.5m..

Stastny is the marginally better player but Grabo competes harder.. I take Grabovski at a min 1m discount 8 days a week.... And its likely closer to a 2m discount.

sparxx87 is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:19 PM
  #78
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,593
vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Pittsburgh is also a cap team, with 2 of the best centres in the world, for whom it doesn't matter who the wingers are (even though they actually have pretty good ones). Duchene/O'Reilly aren't at that level.

If the Avs truly had the spending ability to be at the cap, they
wouldn't be at the floor. They may have left a $4-5m buffer, but not the $10m+. There isn't a team in the league that would artificially limit their success.

As mentioned above, thinking that the Avs are magically going to become a cap team is living in a fantasy world. You talk about "saving the money for young guys" -- if the Avs had money to spend, they wouldn't have needed to.
They're over $42m off the cap for next year!!

It's a good thing you're not running the Avs -- making decisions based on emotion rather than objectivity.


Stastny is a better goalscorer (and player) than Connolly, so of course he's going to have more success with crappy players. If you acquired Connolly, you'd have the budget space to spend on
wingers... which would also be included in a deal with Toronto.



If that were the case, then what
kind of disgrace of a GM would say "I'm not going to use the resources available to me to improve my team", and choose to
lose? They've got $42m to spend next year if that were the case, so what's his excuse for spending none of it?


NHL owners are millionaires and billionaires. They don't make and keep their money by spending it foolishly. The Avs, just like his
other teams, are businesses that operate autonomously. Just because the NFL is a guaranteed money-maker, doesn't mean he's going to sink that money into the Avs.
Couple things messed up here. First. Has it ever occured to you that we don't feel like drastically overpaying in a mediocre free agent market just for some dubious success? Look at Burke. Lost out on Richards and then went and overpaid Connolly. You guys are a cap team but aren't any better than us. Cap does not=success.


As above, you said the why would Sherman not spend if he was allowed too, and continue "losing." Hmmm, were almost equal with the Leafs in points, spend way less, but were the losers here?


You said I'd not be a good GM. I agree. However YOU would easily be the worst GM in the leauge. 29 other teams would have you on "block" because of your dubious reasoning and awful proposals.


You say we'd have the budget space if we acquired Connolly to "buy" wingers. Hmmm, 2 million bucks is going to give us enough? Great idea.


I undertake your a Leaf fan, so not spending to the cap would probably seem like a sin to you, but money does not=success. I actually thought you as a Leaf fan would get that, considering how far your cap team has gone the last few years. Why wouldn't Sherman save money for our young players, and let them develop, while adding certain pieces where nesscessary? Were a fringe playoff team right now, give our young players and couple years then let's see where we are. No need to panic and go drastically overpay mediocre UFAs just for the sake if being a cap team.

Avs44 is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:20 PM
  #79
outoftune
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 1000 Chopper Circle
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
I never said the Avs can't afford to keep him, I simply said that it may not be in their best interest. They're a floor-team...both of their younger and (arguably) better centres are up for new contracts. This season, O'Reilly / Duchene will make no more than about $2.7m. Next season, they're probably looking at no less than $6.5m combined. That money's gotta come from somewhere, and while they could ditch wingers / defencemen, does it really make sense to tie up almost $15m (and more than 1/4 of the budget) on 3 centres?

That money could be much better served to help facilitate the success of Duchene / O'Reilly as the team's 1-2 punch for the long haul at centre.

As for Connolly, if you followed the Leafs, you'd realize that he's nothing more than the whipping boy flavour of the week because the Leafs have him playing alongside Matt Lombardi & Joey Crabb. The only reason Toronto would even consider trading him, is if they had a better centre who slots in on the top line coming back (hence requiring his cap hit to be moved).

Im not sure why everyone assumes we are a financially frustrated team were only about three years off from having one of the highest salaries in the league and yes we have the same owners..... I really dont think that money is an issue for the Kronkes..... so losing skill to take on a MUCH worse center since he has a smaller salary really in the cards.... were one of the youngest teams in the league and yes right now a floor team but its because we are young next year we will be much higher just due to all our RFAs coming this year in need of raises....That money you speak of is coming from the almost bottomless pockets of our owners since we are a floor team we dont have any cap or salary issues

outoftune is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:26 PM
  #80
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,885
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
If the Leafs resign him, it will likely be before July 1st.. If after, it would still be less then 6.5m..

Stastny is the marginally better player but Grabo competes harder.. I take Grabovski at a min 1m discount 8 days a week.... And its likely closer to a 2m discount.
That's a fair response...though I should point out that no one has ever had doubts to Stastny's work ethic either.

But I agree with on this point, there is no doubting Grabo's work ethic

RockLobster is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:28 PM
  #81
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel
 
Bordeleau Of Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftune View Post
Im not sure why everyone assumes we are a financially frustrated team were only about three years off from having one of the highest salaries in the league and yes we have the same owners..... I really dont think that money is an issue for the Kronkes..... so losing skill to take on a MUCH worse center since he has a smaller salary really in the cards.... were one of the youngest teams in the league and yes right now a floor team but its because we are young next year we will be much higher just due to all our RFAs coming this year in need of raises....That money you speak of is coming from the almost bottomless pockets of our owners since we are a floor team we dont have any cap or salary issues
People assume it because they want to believe it. It lends credence to their laughable assertions that the Avs will have to give them Stastny for scraps because they somehow can't afford him. People have been spouting that nonsense for roughly a year now, so it's just more of the same really.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:30 PM
  #82
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel
 
Bordeleau Of Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
If the Leafs resign him, it will likely be before July 1st.. If after, it would still be less then 6.5m..

Stastny is the marginally better player but Grabo competes harder.. I take Grabovski at a min 1m discount 8 days a week.... And its likely closer to a 2m discount.
Marginally better? Let me know when Grabo has three 70+ point seasons. In fact, let me know when he has one.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:38 PM
  #83
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Ok lets follow your twisted logic for once.
Lets say trading Stastny makes sense because otherwise there would be too much money locked up into the most important position in hockey. Why would we give him away to the Leafs?
Why not just acquire a young top line potential winger to compliment ROR/Duchene? In a trade they will come cheaper as by trying to get one in Free agency. Why should we replace Stastnys cap hit with the burden of Connoly making 4.75m as a 4th liner for another season? Does not make too much sense huh?
You're not giving him away. You're gettting a proven 20 goal guy that makes $3.25m, a goalscoring winger that can step into the lineup right away, and a draft pick.

You replace Stastny's $6.6m salary with Connolly's $4m salary because you need a veteran presence / depth at the most important position in hockey, without committing multiple years, and getting a guy that plays the same #3 role that Stastny has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Couple things messed up here. First. Has it ever occured to you that we don't feel like drastically overpaying in a mediocre free agent market just for some dubious success? Look at Burke. Lost out on Richards and then went and overpaid Connolly. You guys are a cap team but aren't any better than us. Cap does not=success.


As above, you said the why would Sherman not spend if he was allowed too, and continue "losing." Hmmm, were almost equal with the Leafs in points, spend way less, but were the losers here?


You said I'd not be a good GM. I agree. However YOU would easily be the worst GM in the leauge. 29 other teams would have you on "block" because of your dubious reasoning and awful proposals.


You say we'd have the budget space if we acquired Connolly to "buy" wingers. Hmmm, 2 million bucks is going to give us enough? Great idea.


I undertake your a Leaf fan, so not spending to the cap would probably seem like a sin to you, but money does not=success. I actually thought you as a Leaf fan would get that, considering how far your cap team has gone the last few years. Why wouldn't Sherman save money for our young players, and let them develop, while adding certain pieces where nesscessary? Were a fringe playoff team right now, give our young players and couple years then let's see where we are. No need to panic and go drastically overpay mediocre UFAs just for the sake if being a cap team.
First, has it ever occured to you, that the difference between Stastny & Connolly in terms of average offensive output over the last few years is about .15 points per game, and that's being generous to the former. Stastny at about .85, Connolly at about .7. That's an increase of 20%, while Stastny makes 65% more than Connolly next year.

Both teams are losers right now -- the difference is, Colorado could've easily become winners by spending money and adding talent. Toronto couldn't because we're basically capped out.

Colorado needs all the money they can get to spend on wingers. $2.6m is a lot to a team with such low budget. There's nothing wrong with teams that don't spend to the cap because they can't afford to. But you're absolutely off your rocker if you think Sherman is going to sit by watching his team lose with money in the budget. He's not neccessarily going to spend all of it, but there's no way a GM who has the money to spend to the cap is going to sit at the floor.

I don't know why you're trying to convince the HFboards world that Sherman is a GM that likes to lose... because that's what you're implying here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftune View Post
Im not sure why everyone assumes we are a financially frustrated team were only about three years off from having one of the highest salaries in the league and yes we have the same owners..... I really dont think that money is an issue for the Kronkes..... so losing skill to take on a MUCH worse center since he has a smaller salary really in the cards.... were one of the youngest teams in the league and yes right now a floor team but its because we are young next year we will be much higher just due to all our RFAs coming this year in need of raises....That money you speak of is coming from the almost bottomless pockets of our owners since we are a floor team we dont have any cap or salary issues
Teams with money do not stay at the cap floor. The Avs of 3 years ago were teams that went far in the playoffs and picked up big time gate receipts. That's not the case anymore.

The Avs have already lost out on a ton of skill because they didn't have the money to spend.

seanlinden is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:39 PM
  #84
Crisp Breakout
Registered User
 
Crisp Breakout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,784
vCash: 500
Sean you can say what you want about staying at the floor, but there weren't any attractive ufas last year. At least considering our needs. With Parise and Suter heading to FA and the new CBA impending, we're poised to make a big offer.

Crisp Breakout is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:51 PM
  #85
JoemAvs
Registered User
 
JoemAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 250
I just dont get your logic. Connolly is grossly overpayed. And you know it. If he is close to Stastny why would every leafs fan desperately want to get rid of him?. If we are trading Stastny for cap concerns, the winning offer would be 1st + prospect + scrub making 1 M. Than you go and invest the 6.6 M and get the "veteran presence you are alluding to". The last thing a cap floor team should do is take on a contract like Connollys. If Stastny is put on the block, the Leafs only get him if they overpay. Why? Because they simple do not have the pieces the Avs desire. (namely a top winger prospect)
What you are offering is not close to his market value.
May I ask you which roster spot you have Stastny occupying after this trade?
Let me guess? First line center?

JoemAvs is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:51 PM
  #86
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Sean you can say what you want about staying at the floor, but there weren't any attractive ufas last year. At least considering our needs. With Parise and Suter heading to FA and the new CBA impending, we're poised to make a big offer.
Do I need to remind you who they presently have playing with Paul Stastny?

If the Avs were a cap team, they could've signed Ville Leino, Erik Cole, AND STILL had space to sign every RFA, while making an offer to one of Parise/Suter.

You guys are living in a fantasy world talking about Parise / Suter... it's really getting old. The fact is -- the Avs are a budget team. The reason they had all of those contracts expire this year is two-fold. One is coincidence / having players that weren't worth committing the long term deal to, the other was so that they could resign Duchene/O'Reilly to whatever deal they want, and not be put in a position where they're forced to clear cap.

However, that doesn't mean they won't move cap space around (away from centre) if the right deal comes along.

seanlinden is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:53 PM
  #87
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated
 
Pual Statsny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Awesometown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
You're not giving him away. You're gettting a proven 20 goal guy that makes $3.25m, a goalscoring winger that can step into the lineup right away, and a draft pick.

You replace Stastny's $6.6m salary with Connolly's $4m salary because you need a veteran presence / depth at the most important position in hockey, without committing multiple years, and getting a guy that plays the same #3 role that Stastny has.



First, has it ever occured to you, that the difference between Stastny & Connolly in terms of average offensive output over the last few years is about .15 points per game, and that's being generous to the former. Stastny at about .85, Connolly at about .7. That's an increase of 20%, while Stastny makes 65% more than Connolly next year.

Both teams are losers right now -- the difference is, Colorado could've easily become winners by spending money and adding talent. Toronto couldn't because we're basically capped out.

Colorado needs all the money they can get to spend on wingers. $2.6m is a lot to a team with such low budget. There's nothing wrong with teams that don't spend to the cap because they can't afford to. But you're absolutely off your rocker if you think Sherman is going to sit by watching his team lose with money in the budget. He's not neccessarily going to spend all of it, but there's no way a GM who has the money to spend to the cap is going to sit at the floor.

I don't know why you're trying to convince the HFboards world that Sherman is a GM that likes to lose... because that's what you're implying here.



Teams with money do not stay at the cap floor. The Avs of 3 years ago were teams that went far in the playoffs and picked up big time gate receipts. That's not the case anymore.

The Avs have already lost out on a ton of skill because they didn't have the money to spend.
If the game of hockey were as one-dimensional as direct correlations between cash flow and points per game then you would be a fantastic GM. Likewise, if cash flow and points were all that mattered, it would be consistently Toronto versus the Red Wings every year for the Stanley Cup. Unfortunately, your statistics for payment of Stastny versus Connolly are based on a straight-line depreciation model which, unfortunately, does not exist in hockey. It also fails to take into account other factors of the game including defense, injury potential, age, establishment in the marketplace (as a DU NCAA championship winner, Stastny is somewhat of a local sports legend), and potential. Stastny has higher potential still, and there's a reason he was the first line center for team USA.

Also, stop assuming that Stastny is a 3rd line center. Actually, he's the 1st center; there was a stretch of about 10 games (at most) wherein he played 2nd line behind O'Reilly because of a lack of chemistry with linemates.

There are far many more factors going into free agency spending than simply spending money. First of all, players are humans and humans are unpredictable. Second, sometimes signing an abundance of free agents works (Florida) and sometimes it doesn't (Buffalo).

Pual Statsny is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:10 PM
  #88
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgeduck View Post
If the game of hockey were as one-dimensional as direct correlations between cash flow and points per game then you would be a fantastic GM. Likewise, if cash flow and points were all that mattered, it would be consistently Toronto versus the Red Wings every year for the Stanley Cup. Unfortunately, your statistics for payment of Stastny versus Connolly are based on a straight-line depreciation model which, unfortunately, does not exist in hockey. It also fails to take into account other factors of the game including defense, injury potential, age, establishment in the marketplace (as a DU NCAA championship winner, Stastny is somewhat of a local sports legend), and potential. Stastny has higher potential still, and there's a reason he was the first line center for team USA.

Also, stop assuming that Stastny is a 3rd line center. Actually, he's the 1st center; there was a stretch of about 10 games (at most) wherein he played 2nd line behind O'Reilly because of a lack of chemistry with linemates.

There are far many more factors going into free agency spending than simply spending money. First of all, players are humans and humans are unpredictable. Second, sometimes signing an abundance of free agents works (Florida) and sometimes it doesn't (Buffalo).
I didn't say there was. I'm simply pointing out the ridiculousness of calling Connolly drastically overpaid at $4.75m (while now his effective salary has been lowered to $4m for a team like the Avs), in comparison to Paul Stastny at $6.6m.

I'm not "assuming" he's the 3rd line centre -- he is. Duchene & O'Reilly are the top priorities for a team like Colorado.

While there are many human factors in free agency, the fact that you get what you pay for holds true to a certain extent in hockey. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that spending money makes you a worse team... while there is evidence to suggest that spending money makes you a better team. If you crunch the numbers, you will find a strong correlation between money spent and success on the ice.

So, there is one of 2 possibilities. Sherman likes to lose, or doesn't have money to spend. I'll leave you to pick which one.

seanlinden is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:12 PM
  #89
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
I just dont get your logic. Connolly is grossly overpayed. And you know it. If he is close to Stastny why would every leafs fan desperately want to get rid of him?. If we are trading Stastny for cap concerns, the winning offer would be 1st + prospect + scrub making 1 M. Than you go and invest the 6.6 M and get the "veteran presence you are alluding to". The last thing a cap floor team should do is take on a contract like Connollys. If Stastny is put on the block, the Leafs only get him if they overpay. Why? Because they simple do not have the pieces the Avs desire. (namely a top winger prospect)
What you are offering is not close to his market value.
May I ask you which roster spot you have Stastny occupying after this trade?
Let me guess? First line center?
Where do you think you're going to get a veteran centre that can put up points like Connolly can for less than 1 year at $4m?

You want to talk a top winger prospect -- Nazem Kadri is a definite possibility as well. However, the idea of trying to move Stastny while taking minimal salary back is one that makes absolutely no sense, because the Avs don't need to clear all $6.6m, and it would significantly diminish the potential return.

seanlinden is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:13 PM
  #90
Landeslog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,130
vCash: 500
OH DRAT we could have LEINO? How did we miss out on that!

Fact: Our owner is the 2nd richest in the league after Pegula
Fact: Before the cap, this same owner gave us the money to have the most expensive team in the league

Fact: Last CBA we lost Forsberg and Foote due to the cap and not being able to afford them

They've said numerous times that Sherman can spend what he wants. How many UFA's last year took 1 year deals? With all the young guys we have to re-sign and the new CBA coming up it would be straight up STUPID to spend to the cap this year. STUPID. We're not ready to compete so why spend a bunch of money to get an overpaid guy with way too many years on his contract to be mediocre longer?

We've been screwed by the CBA once before, we won't be again. We're not financially struggling, we're financially SMART.


Now, if we trade Duchene or O'Reilly away this off-season because we can't afford them then I take all this back but seeing as how Sherman himself has said he can spend to the cap and is saving money for the young future superstars, I'll choose to believe that.

Landeslog is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:15 PM
  #91
Landeslog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Where do you think you're going to get a veteran centre that can put up points like Connolly for less than 1 year at $4m?

You want to talk a top winger prospect -- Nazem Kadri is a definite possibility as well.
We don't need a veteran center...We are fine with our center situation. To us the extra 2+million it costs for Stastny is so much more worth Connolly that it's not even worth talking about.

We have NO REASON TO TRADE STASTNY. NONE. We can afford him, he's better than Connolly. End of story

Landeslog is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:18 PM
  #92
Crisp Breakout
Registered User
 
Crisp Breakout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Do I need to remind you who they presently have playing with Paul Stastny?

If the Avs were a cap team, they could've signed Ville Leino, Erik Cole, AND STILL had space to sign every RFA, while making an offer to one of Parise/Suter.

You guys are living in a fantasy world talking about Parise / Suter... it's really getting old. The fact is -- the Avs are a budget team. The reason they had all of those contracts expire this year is two-fold. One is coincidence / having players that weren't worth committing the long term deal to, the other was so that they could resign Duchene/O'Reilly to whatever deal they want, and not be put in a position where they're forced to clear cap.

However, that doesn't mean they won't move cap space around (away from centre) if the right deal comes along.
Seriously? Did you see how much Leino got?

Perhaps you don't understand, but top free agents in UFA get the moon nowadays. In a world where Erhoff gets a 10 year contract, you better be in love with a free agent before entering the bidding war.

I think our conversation is going nowhere because you clearly can't distinguish between being cheap and spending wisely. Again, Leino?

Crisp Breakout is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:22 PM
  #93
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam333 View Post
OH DRAT we could have LEINO? How did we miss out on that!

Fact: Our owner is the 2nd richest in the league after Pegula
Fact: Before the cap, this same owner gave us the money to have the most expensive team in the league

Fact: Last CBA we lost Forsberg and Foote due to the cap and not being able to afford them

They've said numerous times that Sherman can spend what he wants. How many UFA's last year took 1 year deals? With all the young guys we have to re-sign and the new CBA coming up it would be straight up STUPID to spend to the cap this year. STUPID. We're not ready to compete so why spend a bunch of money to get an overpaid guy with way too many years on his contract to be mediocre longer?

We've been screwed by the CBA once before, we won't be again. We're not financially struggling, we're financially SMART.


Now, if we trade Duchene or O'Reilly away this off-season because we can't afford them then I take all this back but seeing as how Sherman himself has said he can spend to the cap and is saving money for the young future superstars, I'll choose to believe that.
Fact: Leino would've been one of your 12 best forwards.
Fact: This isn't 7 years ago.

You seem to be missing the most important fact, they're a floor team. No GM runs a floor team by choice, they spend the money they have. Sherman just doesn't have it.

They're not going to trade Duchene or O'Reilly those guys are the futures. Stastny on the other hand.... likely just a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam333 View Post
We don't need a veteran center...We are fine with our center situation. To us the extra 2+million it costs for Stastny is so much more worth Connolly that it's not even worth talking about.

We have NO REASON TO TRADE STASTNY. NONE. We can afford him, he's better than Connolly. End of story
The Avs absolutely need a veteran centre after they trade Stastny. You can't expect to run with 3 young guys.

The extra $2.6m Stastny costs over Connolly is worth it for the Avs, but what isn't is giving up the opportunity to get guys like MacArthur, Frattin, Kadri, and/or picks while at the same time spending an extra $2.6m at centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Seriously? Did you see how much Leino got?

Perhaps you don't understand, but top free agents in UFA get the moon nowadays. In a world where Erhoff gets a 10 year contract, you better be in love with a free agent before entering the bidding war.

I think our conversation is going nowhere because you clearly can't distinguish between being cheap and spending wisely. Again, Leino?
Yeah I did, if the Avs weren't a budget team, adding Leino's salary would've been irrelevant to them. He would have been an improvement to the Avs playoff chances, simple as that.

Spending wisely (which the Avs have done so far) is predicated on spending all (or at least most) of it. Spending wisely doesn't matter if the team just sits on that extra money. As long as you have extra money, it doesn't really matter how you spend it, because it's better than not spending it at all. Cap space doesn't win you hockey games, despite popular belief on these boards.

seanlinden is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:25 PM
  #94
Crisp Breakout
Registered User
 
Crisp Breakout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,784
vCash: 500
Oh, just saw you were previously Jfried.

Crisp Breakout is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:26 PM
  #95
Landeslog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Fact: Leino would've been one of your 12 best forwards.
Fact: This isn't 7 years ago.

You seem to be missing the most important fact, they're a floor team. No GM runs a floor team by choice, they spend the money they have. Sherman just doesn't have it.

They're not going to trade Duchene or O'Reilly those guys are the futures. Stastny on the other hand.... likely just a matter of time.



The Avs absolutely need a veteran centre after they trade Stastny. You can't expect to run with 3 young guys.

The extra $2.6m Stastny costs over Connolly is worth it for the Avs, but what isn't is giving up the opportunity to get guys like MacArthur, Frattin, Kadri, and/or picks while at the same time spending an extra $2.6m at centre.
Leino would be one of our TWELVE best forwards. That's not good enough for that price tag. Not even CLOSE. Almost all the FAs got overpaid. Just stupid. Our owner is a billionaire, I don't care if it's not 7 years ago we have the same owner and if anything he's MADE more money since then.

Just because your GM doesn't chose to be a floor team doesn't mean it's not smart. We spend to the cap and the cap goes down after the CBA we're forced to trade someone. We've already gotten screwed that way once.

We have no reason to trade Statsny.

And how does that benefit your team? You have less cap space than us even with our budget. If Connolly is just as good as Stastny KEEP HIM.

Quit trying to act like we need to this and like we benefit by downgrading at our only strength

Landeslog is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:27 PM
  #96
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,008
vCash: 50
Tim Connolly: Veteran center. The kind of solid hard working guy young centers need for support.

Perhaps we could get Stajan. He is even more veteraney. Shame Comrie retired now, he is veteran gold.

Freudian is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:31 PM
  #97
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam333 View Post
Leino would be one of our TWELVE best forwards. That's not good enough for that price tag. Not even CLOSE. Almost all the FAs got overpaid. Just stupid. Our owner is a billionaire, I don't care if it's not 7 years ago we have the same owner and if anything he's MADE more money since then.

Just because your GM doesn't chose to be a floor team doesn't mean it's not smart. We spend to the cap and the cap goes down after the CBA we're forced to trade someone. We've already gotten screwed that way once.

We have no reason to trade Statsny.

And how does that benefit your team? You have less cap space than us even with our budget. If Connolly is just as good as Stastny KEEP HIM.

Quit trying to act like we need to this and like we benefit by downgrading at our only strength
If Colorado has $15m sitting unallocated in the budget, then wtf does it matter how much Leino gets paid?

Improve your team, win more hockey games, it's a real simple concept.

I'm also not saying that the Avs should spend to the cap. It decreasing is a legitimate concern. However, there's no reason to be $15m off of it. $4-5m would make much more sense if that was what was going through Sherman's head.

seanlinden is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:31 PM
  #98
outoftune
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 1000 Chopper Circle
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Sean seriously everyone on this board is calling u an idiot.... Just give up please...... your just not right and thats that.... and on the spending... handicapping your future caproom for zero change now is not smart.... do you want the messes that came out of the last FA class like come on leino? Flash?.... .look at columbus overpaying can kill a team

outoftune is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:34 PM
  #99
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,296
vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
The Avs absolutely need a veteran centre after they trade Stastny. You can't expect to run with 3 young guys.

The extra $2.6m Stastny costs over Connolly is worth it for the Avs, but what isn't is giving up the opportunity to get guys like MacArthur, Frattin, Kadri, and/or picks while at the same time spending an extra $2.6m at centre.
Jay McClement is the current 3rd line center; a solid veteran who wears an "A" most nights. Best third line center the Avs have had since 2001-2002, actually.

shadow1 is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:36 PM
  #100
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftune View Post
Sean seriously everyone on this board is calling u an idiot.... Just give up please...... your just not right and thats that.... and on the spending... handicapping your future caproom for zero change now is not smart.... do you want the messes that came out of the last FA class like come on leino? Flash?.... .look at columbus overpaying can kill a team
Yeah -- generally when idiots get frusturated, they like to call the people educating them idiots, as you seem to have elected to do.

You talk about "handicapping future cap room" -- what do the Avs know that every other team in the league doesn't? that they need to spend the least amount of money in the league this year, and have $42m in cap space for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Jay McClement is the current 3rd line center; a solid veteran who wears an "A" most nights. Best third line center the Avs have had since 2001-2002, actually.
Wonderful. A guy with a career high of 36 points, 5 years ago. What happens under the possibility that Duchene or O'Reilly get hurt?

seanlinden is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.