HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

L. Schenn for Stastny

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2012, 10:39 PM
  #101
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,060
vCash: 500
This entire thread is just stupid and I feel bad that any Avs fan has had to actually argue any of this ****.

Stop telling us we need to hand over a top center to save money so you can get him at a discount. Keep your hand in your own cookie jar.. thanks


Oh and if you don't agree that he is a 1st line center.. STOP MAKING PROPOSALS FOR HIM.

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:40 PM
  #102
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,572
vCash: 3319
Guys, just stop replying to seanlinden. Forgive him for being clueless and ignorant about our team. He continues to insist that we are cap strapped and the fact that he's trying to convince us that Connolly and Stastny are similar makes me suspect he's trolling. Either way his opinion does not matter. Clearly he knows nothing about our franchise, team needs, and the direction were heading in. Just another fan who's trying to get Stastny cheap.

Avs44 is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:43 PM
  #103
outoftune
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 1000 Chopper Circle
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
We know were in a rebuild.... Your not bashing the Oil who only have a higher payroll than us because they took back Smyth and his 6.25 in a PR move so he could retire an oiler

outoftune is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:44 PM
  #104
Landeslog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Yeah -- generally when idiots get frusturated, they like to call the people educating them idiots, as you seem to have elected to do.

You talk about "handicapping future cap room" -- what do the Avs know that every other team in the league doesn't? that they need to spend the least amount of money in the league this year, and have $42m in cap space for next year?



Wonderful. A guy with a career high of 36 points, 5 years ago. What happens under the possibility that Duchene or O'Reilly get hurt?
Duchene has been out for 6 and a half weeks. LUCKILY we have Stastny.
And we have tons of young guys needing re-signing. It's not like other teams situations since rarely do teams have this many young guys needing large raises all at the same time. We don't need future cap room JUST for the new CBA. We need it to keep our core this year.

Landeslog is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:46 PM
  #105
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
This entire thread is just stupid and I feel bad that any Avs fan has had to actually argue any of this ****.

Stop telling us we need to hand over a top center to save money so you can get him at a discount. Keep your hand in your own cookie jar.. thanks


Oh and if you don't agree that he is a 1st line center.. STOP MAKING PROPOSALS FOR HIM.
The whole idea of "Toronto getting a discount" is laughable. Toronto would be trading fair market value for him. The packages would be along the lines of

A proven 20 goal winger under contract for a reasonable $3.25m, a scoring wing prospect with potential to jump into the NHL right away, and a veteran centre with 1 year left on his deal to help offset the immediate loss of Stastny and ensure that their #2 centre doesn't become a guy with a career high of 36 points in case of injury.

or

A high end prospect winger that would play right away, and that same centre.

If there's another team offering a better deal for a $6.6m 70 point centre, please, trade him there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Guys, just stop replying to seanlinden. Forgive him for being clueless and ignorant about our team. He continues to insist that we are cap strapped and the fact that he's trying to convince us that Connolly and Stastny are similar makes me suspect he's trolling. Either way his opinion does not matter. Clearly he knows nothing about our franchise, team needs, and the direction were heading in. Just another fan who's trying to get Stastny cheap.
"Colorado has the money to spend to the cap, but chooses to spend to the floor" -- priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam333 View Post
Duchene has been out for 6 and a half weeks. LUCKILY we have Stastny.
And we have tons of young guys needing re-signing. It's not like other teams situations since rarely do teams have this many young guys needing large raises all at the same time. We don't need future cap room JUST for the new CBA. We need it to keep our core this year.
Duchene being out is exactly why Connolly has value to a team like Colorado without Stastny.... think of it this way -- Trade Stastny for Kadri & a 3rd to get the high end prospect winger you want, then trade a 3rd for Connolly because you're now weak at centre.

Do the math, you'll struggle to spend anywhere near $42m.

seanlinden is online now  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:51 PM
  #106
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,296
vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Wonderful. A guy with a career high of 36 points, 5 years ago. What happens under the possibility that Duchene or O'Reilly get hurt?
Pretty bold statement considering he has the same amount of goals as Tim Connolly this season.

What happens when any NHL team's top two centers get hurt?

shadow1 is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:52 PM
  #107
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,728
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Wonderful. A guy with a career high of 36 points, 5 years ago. What happens under the possibility that Duchene or O'Reilly get hurt?
We'll trade for Leino. Duh.

Freudian is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:53 PM
  #108
hawkeyguru93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Windsor, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
Colorado would want something along the lines of...

To Colorado:
Kadri
MacArthur
Schenn
2nd Rounder

To Toronto:
Statsny

hawkeyguru93 is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:55 PM
  #109
outoftune
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 1000 Chopper Circle
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
Wow your giving up Kadri.... Oh my i never knew that Yes I TAKE THAT DEAL instantly Hes your superstar right........... future star of the NHL who could turn that deal down sorry all us AVs fans must have just been mistaken


Didnt the leafs have him on a poster outside their building when he didnt even make the nhl yet.... yeah must be a star

outoftune is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:55 PM
  #110
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Yeah -- generally when idiots get frusturated, they like to call the people educating them idiots, as you seem to have elected to do.

You talk about "handicapping future cap room" -- what do the Avs know that every other team in the league doesn't? that they need to spend the least amount of money in the league this year, and have $42m in cap space for next year?



Wonderful. A guy with a career high of 36 points, 5 years ago. What happens under the possibility that Duchene or O'Reilly get hurt?
The Avs know first hand what a CBA can do to a team. CBA last time around only crushed one team... the Avs. No team had to give up what we had to give up in order for us to be under compliance with the CBA.

The Avs aren't about to let that happen again and I praise them for it. Yeah it sucks not having a team that is Cup contender every season right now, but it sure as hell beats losing players like Forsberg and Foote because the league won't let you spend money.

Now lets hypothetically jump into the future to this summer when they are negotiating a new CBA. And lets hypothetically say that it is decided that the new cap is going to have to come down and its set at say roughly 59/60 million. That would put a bunch of teams in world of hurt. Look at teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Philly, Vancouver or pretty much any team at or around that number. These teams are going to have to make huge decisions on who stays and who goes.

Yeah you're probably not going to see players like the Sedins or Giroux or Malkin or Ovechkin hit the markets due to the CBA, but there will be some tough decisions on good players for example players like Cody Hodgson, would a team like Vancouver be able to keep him and all there others like Kesler, Raymond, Booth etc. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they choose to keep him but have to say goodbye to Raymond. If the cap goes down even in the slightest, there are going to be a lot of good players (not superstars) available.

I'm glad that the Avs won't be in that position and will have the financial flexibility to do as they please without having to make a potentially tough decision on who to keep and who to get rid of. Plus we will also have the financial flexibility to pursue some of these players that could become cap casualties, or if there are not any casualties then they will have plenty of money to after which ever UFAs they want.

Call it what you want but there is a reason that Avs are sitting where they are financially, its because they know better. Don't come crying to me if your team is burned by a new CBA, because I know my team won't be.

chet1926 is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 10:55 PM
  #111
Mouse21*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
this is a trade created out of pure ignorance.

Avs cant score, the last thing they need is another D man.

Mouse21* is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 11:20 PM
  #112
outoftune
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 1000 Chopper Circle
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
Assuming he got suspended...... but yes I think this ones generally a pass from the AVs side not enough coming back and no interest in connolly

outoftune is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:36 AM
  #113
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,842
vCash: 500
So much turd polishing going on in this thread.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:49 AM
  #114
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviking View Post
its funny that everybody want to have stastny but they all say he is crap......
A common misconception. Most people don't think he sucks, they just don't want want that cap hit. Believe it or not it's not a desirable contract for teams not looking to simply get to the cap floor.

Man Bear Pig is online now  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:58 AM
  #115
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,572
vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
A common misconception. Most people don't think he sucks, they just don't want want that cap hit. Believe it or not it's not a desirable contract for teams not looking to simply get to the cap floor.
Yet were not bothered by it, and we really don't give a **** what other teams think about it. Why is this so tough for people to understand? The Avs set the value here. We don't have to move him, so you either pay the price or you don't get him. We don't care if you dont like the contract. Too bad, were not going to give him to you cheaper because of it.


Seanlinden. Kindly do not reply. You've already embarrassed yourself enough. Your fellow Leaf fans have told you to get out. Take their advice and keep your opinion to yourself. Stop derailing this thread.

Avs44 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 01:33 AM
  #116
electricjib
Registered User
 
electricjib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,714
vCash: 50
Sorry this isn't to all leafs fans, but some of you need to go find a sand box and stick your head back in it. Stastny sucks, but we covet him. We say Schenn sucks but tell you he's good on the Forums board and talk **** about him on ours expecting you not to see it making you think your getting a steal. You don't watch Stastny, well most of you don't you go look at stats and make a comparison. There isn't anything on the leafs I'd blink at for Stastny.

As stated before we're happy to keep our Overpaid Stastny (who has proven more than ANY of Toronto's centers that he can be PPG) and our much better Center depth when healthy and keep growing as a team while you continue to look up at the roof of your building and go why is there nothing besides retired numbers. Well since thats not going for us lets try to trade what hasn't worked here.

electricjib is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 02:01 AM
  #117
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,411
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Fact: Leino would've been one of your 12 best forwards.
Fact: This isn't 7 years ago.

You seem to be missing the most important fact, they're a floor team. No GM runs a floor team by choice, they spend the money they have. Sherman just doesn't have it.

They're not going to trade Duchene or O'Reilly those guys are the futures. Stastny on the other hand.... likely just a matter of time.

Spending wisely (which the Avs have done so far) is predicated on spending all (or at least most) of it. Spending wisely doesn't matter if the team just sits on that extra money. As long as you have extra money, it doesn't really matter how you spend it, because it's better than not spending it at all. Cap space doesn't win you hockey games, despite popular belief on these boards.
You're lucky I have to refrain from insulting you from infractions. Ok, so you're trying to say no GM runs a floor team by choice. So lets take on the pretence that you're right. Sure, that is true in a rebuilding stage. Let's look at the penguins in the early/mid 2000s. They were a cap floor team for multiple years, so based on your logic they shouldn't have spent more money. Then why on earth are they a cap ceiling team now? If based on your logic every team that COULD spend the cap ceiling did and the pens did, chances are they wouldn't have got Malkin/Crosby/Fleury/Letang/Staal if they were spending the Cap Ceiling because they would've had lower draft picks.

Ok, now let's say the Avs are losing money yearly, obviously you wouldn't pour money into it if your team doesn't have a future. However, once your team looks like they have a chance at success, you start hedging a bit more. What part of that logic don't you get? Obviously teams like Toronto and Calgary are shining examples on where spending the max cap makes your team better. Maybe in NHL 12. In reality, you still need to consider the development of prospects, chemistry, contract extensions/resigning, etc.

The fact of the matter is, even IF the Avs have an internal budget right now, the past has shown they will spend the money if the team has a chance at contending. To say that the past is irrelevant is just being naive.

PAZ is online now  
Old
02-14-2012, 02:51 AM
  #118
falconski
Unregistered User
 
falconski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,039
vCash: 500
does nobody understand exactly how badly the avs were hammered by the last CBA?

falconski is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 03:34 AM
  #119
El_Loco_Avs
Registered User
 
El_Loco_Avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
does nobody understand exactly how badly the avs were hammered by the last CBA?
They really don't.

El_Loco_Avs is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 03:45 AM
  #120
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger
 
drugold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane,
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 2,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Oh, just saw you were previously Jfried.
This is soo funny

edit** this looked sarcastic but is genuine

drugold is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 03:57 AM
  #121
hockeyviking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: malmo
Country: Sweden
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
A common misconception. Most people don't think he sucks, they just don't want want that cap hit. Believe it or not it's not a desirable contract for teams not looking to simply get to the cap floor.
but every one tells us he is crap. so no one exept for us wants him...... so let ur keep him then.

hockeyviking is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 04:01 AM
  #122
hockeyviking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: malmo
Country: Sweden
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
.
we want stastny to stay and we dont want any of your left owers, is it so hard to understand ?

avs dont have a problem whit pauls cap hit.

You only have to wait untill the summer to realise that we arent going to stay at the cap floor, the money is there to spend but we just dont want to spend it on players like leino or connoly.

but i like it that you know avs better then all the people here thats tells you that you are wrong.

hockeyviking is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 04:26 AM
  #123
Hockey 4 Life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviking View Post
we want stastny to stay and we dont want any of your left owers, is it so hard to understand ?

avs dont have a problem whit pauls cap hit.

You only have to wait untill the summer to realise that we arent going to stay at the cap floor, the money is there to spend but we just dont want to spend it on players like leino or connoly.

but i like it that you know avs better then all the people here thats tells you that you are wrong.
I agree that the Op's deal isn't what Avs fans are looking for in regards to a possible return in a trade for a player of stasny's quality. With that being said to imply that luke schenn is a left over or a poor add on in a trade is absurd. All young players have growing pains and Luke is no different he's not as good as us leaf fans have hyped him up to be (to a lesser extent this year) and his value isnt as poor as other fans would have us believe either. Connolly on the other hand holds no value whatsoever in a trade to the Avs because of two guys named Matt and paul. I'd also like to say that I like colorado as an organization and think they will have a good future with the young guys they have as will the leafers thanks im out lol.

Hockey 4 Life is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 04:33 AM
  #124
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Yet were not bothered by it, and we really don't give a **** what other teams think about it. Why is this so tough for people to understand? The Avs set the value here. We don't have to move him, so you either pay the price or you don't get him. We don't care if you dont like the contract. Too bad, were not going to give him to you cheaper because of it.
I never said he would be cheaper because of his contract, I fully understand his value, which is high. The Avs aren't in win-now mode this season and are at the cap floor so it makes no sense to move him. From a Leafs perspective, being right up against the cap, it simply wouldn't make a ton of sense to commit that much to one player when we have players of our own like Kulemin,Grabovski,Gunnar etc who are going to be getting raises in the near future and need to be re-signed. We need to shed the dead weight i.e Komisarek before we make high cap hit moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviking View Post
but every one tells us he is crap. so no one exept for us wants him...... so let ur keep him then.
See, this is generalizing. Not everyone tells you he sucks. Given his cap hit and production? you could make the argument that he's not living up to that kind of money. He doesn't suck by any means, he's just overpaid like the majority of top 6 centers in this league.

Man Bear Pig is online now  
Old
02-14-2012, 04:51 AM
  #125
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 50
staz has been playing alot better, do not want to see him go, however i dont imagine we could get much more value wise out of him at the current time.

skip2mybordeleau is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.