HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Eastern Conference drafting in the past decade (NYR Management Appreciation)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2012, 01:01 PM
  #51
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Never understood that argument. That would make sense if Sather had not spent the last 5 years throwing money at every serious free agent available.

The only real difference is the drafting (and development) is infinitely better. There is actually a team to add these players too.
He could have more like he did in the past.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:04 PM
  #52
Calad
Section 422
 
Calad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Did I indicate otherwise?
Yes you did, by saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
mahon - Crosby and Ovechkin were both 1st picks overall. The Rangers never played bad enough for those picks. The Brendl pick was a trade with Tampa Bay that got us the 4th overall pick.

The pick for Bure wound up being a #10.
Lindros was acquired a package plus a 3rd rounder
The Rangers traded for Kovalev, which was a salary dump for Pittsburgh. I don't think picks were moved in that trade.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:26 PM
  #53
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,206
vCash: 50
The Rangers did play bad enough for the Crosby pick (they had 3 balls in the lottery, as did Pittsburgh, Columbus and Buffalo). We just didn't get the draw

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:26 PM
  #54
nyrmessier011
Registered User
 
nyrmessier011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
That has to one of the worst draft picks ever for this team. Its not even like you can say well he was supposed to be a great player but he just didnt pan out or he was picked where he should have been. I dont think that guy was on anyones radar. I remember guys who follow the draft and prospects saying the Rangers should draft a bunch of guys that were there when the Rangers were picking and they took Jessiman instead.

It really is sickening looking at the names taken after him. Just to make everyone throw up a little:
Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Brian Boyle and Corey Perry just in the 1st round
Easily. And I'm no draft guru I'll be the first to admit, but it's truly unbelievable with who else was taken after us how bad that pick was.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:49 PM
  #55
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He could have more like he did in the past.
Not sure what you mean.

When you say "more like" do you mean similar to the way he used to do it or literally signing more players?

I doubt he could have done the latter, most big ticket free agents have been locked up by the teams that held their rights. The Rangers have certainly signed (more than) their fair share. Plus the drafting and developing hasn't left the team with nearly as many holes.

As to the former, well drafting Redden was certainly pre-lockout-Sather-esque.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:26 PM
  #56
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Not sure what you mean.

When you say "more like" do you mean similar to the way he used to do it or literally signing more players?

I doubt he could have done the latter, most big ticket free agents have been locked up by the teams that held their rights. The Rangers have certainly signed (more than) their fair share. Plus the drafting and developing hasn't left the team with nearly as many holes.

As to the former, well drafting Redden was certainly pre-lockout-Sather-esque.
I'm saying the cap has forced him reign in his spending. I agree that there is still a similar M.O. as it pertains to free agents. He just can't come back with the highest offer now under a cap system.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:43 PM
  #57
drewcon40
Registered User
 
drewcon40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: born LI, live SI
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Yes you did, by saying
Nah, this is a case of look at me fabricate an assumption even though I already acknowledged the Crosby lottery. That isn't an intelligent argument.

I don't buy it.

The real answer was "yes, you are right, we never traded first round picks for Lindros or Kovalev"

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:15 PM
  #58
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm saying the cap has forced him reign in his spending. I agree that there is still a similar M.O. as it pertains to free agents. He just can't come back with the highest offer now under a cap system.
When has he not come back with the highest offer and not gotten his man? Gomez. Drury. Redden. Gaborik. Richards. Who has he pursued that he did not get? Almost all big name free agents that we did not sign ended up re-signing with the teams that held their rights. Hossa maybe? If he thought we were a cup contender. Maybe. Havlat?

I really do not see much of a difference.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
  #59
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
When has he not come back with the highest offer and not gotten his man? Gomez. Drury. Redden. Gaborik. Richards. Who has he pursued that he did not get? Almost all big name free agents that we did not sign ended up re-signing with the teams that held their rights. Hossa maybe? If he thought we were a cup contender. Maybe. Havlat?

I really do not see much of a difference.
It's not a question of not getting his man. It's a question of not getting every man.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:06 PM
  #60
Calad
Section 422
 
Calad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Nah, this is a case of look at me fabricate an assumption even though I already acknowledged the Crosby lottery. That isn't an intelligent argument.

I don't buy it.

The real answer was "yes, you are right, we never traded first round picks for Lindros or Kovalev"
Sigh..

In your original post you said the rangers didn't play poorly enough to get Crosby or Ovechkin. Someone reminds you that Crosby was an unweighted lottery. You said that you didn't indicate otherwise, while you specifically said that the rangers didn't play well enough for crosby. What i pointed out was pretty straightforward to be honest, I wasn't making any assumptions.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:29 PM
  #61
drewcon40
Registered User
 
drewcon40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: born LI, live SI
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Sigh..

In your original post you said the rangers didn't play poorly enough to get Crosby or Ovechkin. Someone reminds you that Crosby was an unweighted lottery. You said that you didn't indicate otherwise, while you specifically said that the rangers didn't play well enough for crosby. What i pointed out was pretty straightforward to be honest, I wasn't making any assumptions.
There was a weighted lottery. The point is the Rangers never play bad enough to get a high pick. I was actually goingbtonuse Toews and Tavares as further examples. At the time the readers were getting the point. I assumed everyone knew that.

My bad, calad


Last edited by drewcon40: 02-14-2012 at 09:35 PM.
drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:46 PM
  #62
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's not a question of not getting his man. It's a question of not getting every man.
Oh, my Singin'. Wow. Right down Broadway.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.