HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ben Bishop

Old
02-19-2012, 02:36 AM
djavan

vCash: 500
Ben Bishop

Blues are solid in goal, and quite a few teams need a goalie... while Blues could use a little more offensive

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:06 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavan View Post
Blues are solid in goal, and quite a few teams need a goalie... while Blues could use a little more offensive
He's only worth around a 3rd round pick. He's not NHL proven yet.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:09 AM
dtkblueshockey

If the Blues could net a goal scoring forward in a package deal (Cole/Colaiacovo, Bishop, picks, etc) I'd think that would be the best ideal situation for moving Bishop.

He won't yield much on his own.

The Blues are probably going to take their chances in trying to deal him before he becomes a free agent in the offseason / try their hand at re-signing him rather than lose him for just a draft pick.

dtkblueshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:10 AM
taylord22

His size + this year's play makes him an interesting player worth more than what some are assuming...at this time of the year, especially. But, he's not worth what the Blues are looking for in a deal by himself. His value compounds if part of a package, however.

The problem with trading him, from the Blues perspective, is outside of Stewart we really don't have anyone that makes for an enticing package. If a deal is to be made (and we're getting back a scorer) I expect a high round pick would HAVE to be involved.

taylord22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:19 AM
IdealisticSniper

Hes worth absolutely nothing. MAYBE a 5th round pick or later. MAYBE.

UFA goalie, basically zero NHL experience, and absolutely will not resign with STL.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:57 AM
Human
cynic

I'd like the Pens to make a move for him at the deadline.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Dr Quincy

The problem is that teams that "need" a goalie for the playoffs need a proven goalie and aren't going to trade for Bishop.

Most of the teams out of the playoffs, surprisingly, are set in goal. Really, I only see the following teams with any interest:

Tampa
Ottawa (but won't be selling what you want/need)
Columbus
Edmonton

If you want to make a nice package for Nash or Carter then I guess Biship could be one small piece, but he'd be a very minor piece in such a deal, and I don't think the other names mentioned in the thread (Cole/Cola and a pick) would get it done either.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:22 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Topic has been made multiple times past week or two, the answer is pretty much either as part of a package or about a 3d round pick to a team that could play him.

A team might only want to pay a 4th or 5th but Armstrong has made clear the price is what the price is, and he has value helping the AHL affiliate get the team (and other prosects) to the playoffs. As importantly, if a goalie goes down (sickness, getting run, standard injuries, etc.) you have someone you can comfortably bring up as the backup for the playoffs. They won't sell him just to sell him. Probably 50-50 at this point whether he moves.

As for the 17 games requirement, that part is definitely overblown. Technically, yes, he could refuse to sign a 1-way deal with a team acquiring him in order to test the market because he's only had 2-way deals. But the deal he'll sign will be a 1-way, 1-year 600K deal with the team who showed they wanted him enough to trade for him. He's motivated. Obviously if someone trades for him there's an opportunity in that new organization that has pretty much closed with the Blues.

In other words, there is some value in a team trading for him even if they can't play him 17 NHL games this year. He wants to be in the NHL. I'm sure he has no illusions of being a starter until he wins a job with his play at that level. He just wants to be a 1-way contract guy. He will show loyalty to whomever gave up something to get him, I'd bet on that.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Alexander Baigle

I think Toronto could use him. Maybe a 1 for 1 prospect swap?

Alexander Baigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
I'd like the Pens to make a move for him at the deadline.
Same. I wouldn't want us to try and get him until after the season though as I think it'd be a bit of a slap to Johnson to get him now.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Vitto79

again was he not waived earlier in the yr?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Wallachia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
No..

Wallachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
No. Elliott earned his spot before the season started and Bishop was sent down.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:46 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Hes worth absolutely nothing. MAYBE a 5th round pick or later. MAYBE.

UFA goalie, basically zero NHL experience, and absolutely will not resign with STL.
i am not trying to bash you here and i understand why you would say this but i really disagree with both of your points.

even though he does not have NHL experience, that does not mean he has no trade value. he is a lot better this year and was the AHL all-star MVP. his confidence grows with every game and he has every chance to become a solid backup at minimum. if i were a team with goaltending issues, bringing him on now and showing him some playing time could be very useful for resigning him at the end of the year.

now to the second point. if the blues do not deal him i would imagine he would have to take a look at staying here. goalies take longer to develop and he is 25. two more years and he could be fully ready to hit the NHL with his feet moving. im not saying this is ideal but it would definitely be something he will consider due to the fact this is his home town.

there is more to this situation than meets the eye

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Any chance of Bishop re-signing left when Brian Elliott got a 2 year extension

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Puckclektr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
No. Elliott earned his spot before the season started and Bishop was sent down.
I thought I read earlier that he was the best goalie in camp and the Blues decided to go with experience.
I think he might bring in more than some people think.
I still think that Eliot is the one that gets traded. He will bring in a lot more and Bishop can be an excellent back-up.

Something along the lines of Elliott, Tarasenko and a 1st for Nash. Or Elliott Schwartz, Stewart and a 1st.

Puckclektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:56 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Brett Clark for Bishop. St. Louis gets an okay 5-6th defenseman who is one of the best at blocking shots and value for a player they would lose for nothing. Tampa Bay gets to try out Bishop vs NHL teams before they commit a ton of money/assets to a goaltender.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Blues0307

I'd much rather get a draft pick for Bishop than get a marginal player in return.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:18 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho Labrie View Post
Brett Clark for Bishop. St. Louis gets an okay 5-6th defenseman who is one of the best at blocking shots and value for a player they would lose for nothing. Tampa Bay gets to try out Bishop vs NHL teams before they commit a ton of money/assets to a goaltender.
They would've likely valued Kubina for his larger size, shot blocking, ability to play 20 min a night and Cup experience over Clark. Once Kubina went elsewhere I think Bishop to Tampa ended, unless you're giving up your 3d or better return (which isn't Clark).

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Bishop for Tampa's 3rd please

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:29 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Bishop for Tampa's 3rd please
I'll pass. That should be a high 3rd for a player not guaranteed to return and we would have a very good chance to talk to him on July 1st, not worth it.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Stillflexin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckclektr View Post
I thought I read earlier that he was the best goalie in camp and the Blues decided to go with experience.
I think he might bring in more than some people think.
I still think that Eliot is the one that gets traded. He will bring in a lot more and Bishop can be an excellent back-up.

Something along the lines of Elliott, Tarasenko and a 1st for Nash. Or Elliott Schwartz, Stewart and a 1st.
You're crazy if you think we are getting rid of Elliott or Halak

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:04 AM
FrontenacSens

What would it take Ottawa to get him and Stewart (I'm not saying they will trade him, just wondering).

FrontenacSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:06 AM
bberard34

Grabovski for bishop, 1st and 3rd

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Pitlick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
The problem is that teams that "need" a goalie for the playoffs need a proven goalie and aren't going to trade for Bishop.

Most of the teams out of the playoffs, surprisingly, are set in goal. Really, I only see the following teams with any interest:

Tampa
Ottawa (but won't be selling what you want/need)
Columbus
Edmonton

If you want to make a nice package for Nash or Carter then I guess Biship could be one small piece, but he'd be a very minor piece in such a deal, and I don't think the other names mentioned in the thread (Cole/Cola and a pick) would get it done either.

I wouldn't mind picking up Bishop for a 5th rounder, or a low-end prospect; maybe go 4th rounder even. Alex Auld is awful, and I'm concerned about Anderson playing practically every game, it looks like he's going to get 75 starts, and that's too many. I'd assume Bishop is better than Auld (not saying much).

However the concern would be upsetting team chemistry as Auld is a nice guy.

If the Sens could somehow resign Bishop and make him their backup next year it would be great (assuming he's up to it). Lehner has been poor this year, and needs some competition within the organization to light a fire.

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote