Old
11-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

vCash: 500
New Hockey Helmet to Help Prevent Concussions

http://media.fans.nhl.com/_Messier-C...ntcmpid=sochp3

http://themessierproject.com/

I saw this on the News last night. Apparently the helmet inflates And deflates in order to cushion the head/brain.

Now if only we could get All NHL Players to do up their Chin Strap Properly.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
About time Cascade got into the hockey market. The inside of their helmets (in LAX) have always been more comfortable than my hockey helmet.

Also, has anyone been following the GM meetings? I love the idea of snap off visors. I can't believe no one has thought of that until now.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

I saw this on the News last night. Apparently the helmet inflates And deflates in order to cushion the head/brain.

A video about the helmet.

It looks pretty cool.

Old
11-11-2009, 03:18 PM
dead_golem

Send a message via AIM to dead_golem
Wasn't there a study done a few years ago that proved that most concussions come from the players biting down during impact--something to do with there is no cushioning in the mouth naturally and adding in mouthguards could reduce concussions dramatically?

dead_golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 03:22 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_golem View Post
Wasn't there a study done a few years ago that proved that most concussions come from the players biting down during impact--something to do with there is no cushioning in the mouth naturally and adding in mouthguards could reduce concussions dramatically?
A piece of plastic isn't going to do anything to protect your mouth from a puck, if that's what you're asking. The primary purpose of mouthguards is to act as shock absorbers in a collision (or check) and prevent concussions.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 03:25 PM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_golem View Post
I don't know abou tthe first part, but to the second part...yes, good mouth pieces dramatically reduces trauma to the brain druing a head impact. Concussions are less caused by a blow to the head than the brain banging around inside the skull when the head bounces around from the blow.
Good to hear about inflatable helments. I wore an inflatable football helmet in college and it absorbs a lot. I mistakenly thought all sports helmets were like that nowadays.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 03:33 PM
HockeyKrishna43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
I don't know abou tthe first part, but to the second part...yes, good mouth pieces dramatically reduces trauma to the brain druing a head impact. Concussions are less caused by a blow to the head than the brain banging around inside the skull when the head bounces around from the blow.
Good to hear about inflatable helments. I wore an inflatable football helmet in college and it absorbs a lot. I mistakenly thought all sports helmets were like that nowadays.
Proper helmets and mouth guards are a great start to reducing concussions. Not allowing players to hit each other in the head is an ever better precaution. I don't care if it's blindside or from straight a head, leading with a forearm or shoulder into a players head should be an automatic suspension of considerable length, on every level of play.

HockeyKrishna43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:

if Tie Domi was still playing, his helmet would look like the GoodYear blimp.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 03:52 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
About time Cascade got into the hockey market. The inside of their helmets (in LAX) have always been more comfortable than my hockey helmet.

Also, has anyone been following the GM meetings? I love the idea of snap off visors. I can't believe no one has thought of that until now.
Visors are mandatory in both the A & ECHL, I doubt visors that are snapped on achieve anything if you aren't accustomed to wearing one

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Visors are mandatory in both the A & ECHL, I doubt visors that are snapped on achieve anything if you aren't accustomed to wearing one
The Snap On/Off Visors would be for fights.
You'd snap it off for a fight.

Old
11-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

I emailed Cascade Sports for more info on Pricing & Kids Sizes and here is their response:

Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:38 PM
Subject: [Bulk] RE: M11

Thanks for the email.

Small size will be available sometime in Feb.
Cost is $159 for the combo.
Majer Hockey is closest dealer for you out of Toronto. 416-736-7444.

Cascade Customer Service

Kim Messie
Cascade Sports -Customer Service
4635 Crossroads Park Drive
Liverpool,NY 13088

315.453.3762 fax

helmets@cascadesports.com
www.cascadesports.com
www.themessierproject.com

NEWS

* M11 in stores now
* M11 Customer Helmet builder on online:
http://www.themessierproject.com/m11...r/m11_swap.php
* Hockey's Epidemic: http://www.themessierproject.com/theepidemic/
* Check out Lacrosse's most technologically advanced helmet:
http://cascadelacrosse.com/pro7/pro7swap.php
$159 Canadian for the Helmet & Cage isn't bad. I'll probably pick up one for my son when the kids sizes come out in February. I'd imagine the kids sizes will be a little cheaper.

The Make It Yours M11 Custom Colours Option on the Website is pretty cool:

http://www.themessierproject.com/m11...r/m11_swap.php

You can create some pretty funky colour combinations bwtween the Helmet & the Vents.

Last edited by Neely2005: 11-12-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old
11-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
The Snap On/Off Visors would be for fights.
You'd snap it off for a fight.

You rip off your mask and proceed to fisticuffs

It's like Wrastling!
That's not real wrastling boys!

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Frankie Spankie

Looks pretty interesting, I might go to Pure Hockey after they're released for a bit to try them on. It almost looks like those Farrell shoulder pads if they made a helmet out of them.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4ndy View Post
You rip off your mask and proceed to fisticuffs

It's like Wrastling!
That's not real wrastling boys!
lol - I just saw that episode of South Park a few days ago.

Old
11-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Waltah*

the helmet idea is great but is seems most of the concussions happen near the jaw and dead in the face.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
the helmet idea is great but is seems most of the concussions happen near the jaw and dead in the face.
My understanding is that concussions are caused by the Brain hitting the Skull so the helmet should still help. Mouthguards are good in that regard too.

Old
11-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Jatt

Once again the NHL is going the wrong way on equipment, instead of making everything bigger to 'protect' players against huge hits, howabout downsizing the chest and elbow pads so that it's not like a car collision when a person is bodychecked?! That or just use these Conan O'Brien helmets and get it overwith.

Jatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatt View Post
Once again the NHL is going the wrong way on equipment, instead of making everything bigger to 'protect' players against huge hits, howabout downsizing the chest and elbow pads so that it's not like a car collision when a person is bodychecked?! That or just use these Conan O'Brien helmets and get it overwith.

You raise a good point on the Elbow & Shoulder Pads though.
A combination aproach is probably the best way to go - softer elbow & shoulder pades, smarter helmets (worn properly with the chin strap done up) and mouth guards.

Also the NHL didn't have anything to do with this helmet.

Old
11-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatt View Post

That would be way too easy!

I love it how they are looking at these hit like they never happened, over the whole 100 year history of the NHL.

No, I remember only a decade ago when my elbow pads were made out of foam and my shoulder pads only had hard plastic to protect a small part of my shoulder. Now, if you look at Bergeron, his A is at a 45 degree angle!

Plus, less shoulder pad protectionw ould lead to less shot blocking. Don't we all was more offense?

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
My understanding is that concussions are caused by the Brain hitting the Skull so the helmet should still help. Mouthguards are good in that regard too.
I'm no doctor, but how does the helmet prevent the brain from hitting the skull when you're hit in the jaw? It's the whiplash effect that does it and it's completely internal, no? At most, the helmet will help when you hit ice after. The only thing that will prevent concussions from jaw hits (mouthguards do help but are not a cure-all obviously) is not to blindside people in the jaw with a hard shoulder pad in the first place.

I'm far from a pacifistic type when it comes to hitting and fighting in this game, but the Scott Stevens blindside shoulder-to-face hit needs to go away. It's just too dangerous to hit someone like that with these modern pads.

BTW this thread is about a month late to the party.

Last edited by Dogberry: 11-12-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
I'm no doctor, but how does the helmet prevent the brain from hitting the skull when you're hit in the jaw? It's the whiplash effect that does it and it's completely internal, no? At most, the helmet will help when you hit ice after. The only thing that will prevent concussions from jaw hits (mouthguards do help but are not a cure-all obviously) is not to blindside people in the jaw with a hard shoulder pad in the first place.

I'm far from a pacifistic type when it comes to hitting and fighting in this game, but the Scott Stevens blindside shoulder-to-face hit needs to go away. It's just too dangerous to hit someone like that with these modern pads.

BTW this thread is about a month late to the party.
The helmet has sensors in it that allow the helmet to inflate & deflate in order to soften the blow (both ways) and stop the brain from hitting the skull on both the way out and then on the way back.

But yes it would only work on the way out and not the way back if you were hit in the jaw - however most of these helmets will be sold with the Full Cage which will provide another level of protection.

Sorry but that thread isn't on the Bruins Board.

Old
11-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Marchy63

Didn't Lindros have a "concussion proof" helmet & mouth guard and Stevens still knocked him out. I think you can improve the helmet as much as possible but if you are getting hit by a 220-240lbs man traveling at a high speed wearing body armor. Change the shoulder pads and the helmets and make mouth guards mandatory

Marchy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:58 AM
billbruins72

I think this is a great idea (I also really like the snap off visor idea). I also think it's great that they've got the name recognition of Messier involved. It would be nice to see some NHLers that have suffered from concussions, like Patrice Bergeron, step up and give these new helmets a shot. It will definitely set an example for the younger kids because like the article said, they do follow what their favorite players do.

billbruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Finney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savard91 View Post
Didn't Lindros have a "concussion proof" helmet & mouth guard and Stevens still knocked him out. I think you can improve the helmet as much as possible but if you are getting hit by a 220-240lbs man traveling at a high speed wearing body armor. Change the shoulder pads and the helmets and make mouth guards mandatory
Lindros always kept his head down in the neutral zone - that is why he got concussion problems. He never learned to stickhandle with his head up and it cost him a great career. Sucks to be him, should have learned better.

Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:

I picked up one of these helmets for my youngest son a few days ago. It's a really nice helmet.