HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Erik Karlsson Thread

View Poll Results: Does karlsson break the senators points record for a defenseman?
Yes 180 93.26%
No 13 6.74%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

vCash: 500
Wasn't Pittsburgh still winning most of its games when Malkin was injured?

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

PK is so much better. For one he has more points tonight than EK.
Actually just noticed how choppy his skating is.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:15 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddy View Post
Remember when people were saying Rundblad would be better?
Who?

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

Old
03-05-2012, 08:44 AM
dpw

IMO Karlsson needs to cool-it a bit.

He took two dumb selfish penalties yesterday in the third that hurt the team IMO.

Lately he's not been using his teammates trying to do everything on his own. This type of play will not be good for the playoffs as other teams can get under his skin quite easily and take him off his game.

dpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Comely

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw View Post

He took two dumb selfish penalties yesterday in the third that hurt the team IMO.

Lately he's not been using his teammates trying to do everything on his own. This type of play will not be good for the playoffs as other teams can get under his skin quite easily and take him off his game.
I dont know if the first one was selfish, as I thought he was swiping for the puck desperately and got feet instead. The second one was pure frustration and selfishness though and something he needs to overcome because teams are going to try and get to him every game. It is alittle annoying to watch just how much hooking and holding others are able to get away with against him.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:

Karlsson and Spezza are a lot alike in that sense.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

MacLean mentioned in his post game interview about taking selfish penalties. I'm sure he's having a chat with Erik.
I wonder if the Norris talk is getting to him, or the opportunity to hit such high milestones. There's certainly a new level of pressure on him currently, and I'm sure he'll learn from it and come through.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
MacLean mentioned in his post game interview about taking selfish penalties. I'm sure he's having a chat with Erik.
I wonder if the Norris talk is getting to him, or the opportunity to hit such high milestones. There's certainly a new level of pressure on him currently, and I'm sure he'll learn from it and come through.
I think that's probably the case. He's been getting a lot more attention league-wide and is becoming more than just a star in Ottawa. Last night was the worst of Erik Karlsson. He tried to do way too much offensively and didn't do enough defensively. The penalties he took at the end of the game were like poop icing on a really bad cake.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
Rare a player makes a rise like he has this season. So I wouldn't be surprised if there's mounting pressure.

As far as doing things too much himself as others have suggested...they need wins and they are getting them solely because Karlsson and Spezza have been putting up 2 points a game. Can't blame them for playing like the team is on their shoulders...not that it's right, just can't blame them after this long with 0 secondary scoring.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:40 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Rare a player makes a rise like he has this season. So I wouldn't be surprised if there's mounting pressure.

As far as doing things too much himself as others have suggested...they need wins and they are getting them solely because Karlsson and Spezza have been putting up 2 points a game. Can't blame them for playing like the team is on their shoulders...not that it's right, just can't blame them after this long with 0 secondary scoring.
There has been plenty of secondary scoring this yr on this team & it's the reason they are where they are along with a lot of good goaltending from Anderson. Karlsson & Spezza aren't the only ones producing, they had zero shots in this game. It's tiring to always here how good those two are & how crappy the rest of the team is when the rest of the team have won games on numerous occassions this yr. I don't believe for a minute they think they are carrying this team, there are a lot of veterans on this squad that will deflate that egotistic thought. Alfredsson, Phillips, Kuba, Gonchar, Michalek, Neil etc.. are also responsible to help carry this team & contribute too.

Yes, they are out two best players but not every night, not every game & not every period. Lots of other guys on this team have won games for them including the goalies. The defence as a whole is putting up a lot of pts this yr. It's one game, no reason to crap on the rest of the team because the two pretty boys had a bad game, it happens. On a positive note Klinkhammer had a pretty good game, any thoughts of his chances making the team next season after a very good yr in Bingo, they basically got him for nothing. I could see him replace Daugavins on the roster, if they want more scoring they need to put better scorers on the bottom 6, there is only room for two guys on Spezza's line.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
There has been plenty of secondary scoring this yr on this team & it's the reason they are where they are along with a lot of good goaltending from Anderson.
Last 10 games. Check it out....

October, November, December isn't even on the radar anymore.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:45 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Last 10 games. Check it out....

October, November, December isn't even on the radar anymore.
10 games in an 82 game schedule is a very small sample size. Yesterday it was Neil & Cowen that scored, not so long ago Spezza went a number of games without scoring. This is the time of yr when every team is bearing down trying to do whatever it can to win games. Teams that are out of the playoffs have players that are fighting for jobs & their careers. Teams that are in the playoffs are trying for home ice advantage. Teams that are on the bubble are fighting to stay in the playoff race.

Scoring goals is going to be very difficult for the rest of the season, we are already seeing desperate play from players diving for pucks. Once the playoffs start all the players are going to be pumped up & reved up to go. It will be the secondary players that will be depended on most to score in the playoffs. Karlsson & Spezza will likely both be shadowed everywhere & certainly targeted. The playoffs is where size, strength count most, stamina, determination & the compete level have to all go up a few notches.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
10 games in an 82 game schedule is a very small sample size. .
My lord...

10 games of the last 10 is more than enough to impact the way a player plays in that 11th game.

Just like 1 play is enough to change momentum.

I'm not arguing we don't have secondary scoring, I'm arguing that we haven't had any lately...it is a problem NOW, and as a result those two players (Spezza and Karlsson) that have carried us LATELY to wins, almost ON THEIR OWN, may get to a point where they feel if it's not them, it will be no one THESE DAYS.

Right or wrong, you've gotta understand the mentality these guys go through if no one else is contributing offensively lately.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:26 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

I think all the points and norris talk is getting to Karlsson's head. Both penalties were the result of him trying to do too much on his own. The first one he was trying to troll the other playing into chasing him behind the net, lost the puck and took a penalty trying to get it back. And the 2nd one was even worse.

What made Karlsson so good earlier this season was the fact that he was able to simplify his game when he needed to, making it hard to pressure him. His recent streak definitely got to his head, as yesterday Florida was pressuring him like madmen and he tried to battle through it all by himself, when other players on the ice were open as a result of all this pressuring. Even if he's been carring all the offense lately, in that game, if Karlsson makes the simple play more often when he's pressured by multiple players, he springs a few odd man rushes, making Florida think twice about pressuring him so hard. That gives him more room to do his stuff. The frustrating part is that he's been able to do that all season, and he just seemed to forget to do it the last couple games.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:32 PM
ShotDownCrosby

Personally I think that people are jumping the gun a bit. Karlsson had two bad games, give the guy a break. Of course he needs to be spoken to, but people are acting like he is on a massive slide.

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

We need to trade him now before he goes full Redden on us

Tap on the Ankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Magix

Karlsson has some pretty big holes in his game (size and strength), the guy is a beast offensively but I have yet to see him really give the opposing team's top lines difficulty. Yeah he has speed but as he gets older it will decrease.

trolololol

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:06 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
My lord...

10 games of the last 10 is more than enough to impact the way a player plays in that 11th game.

Just like 1 play is enough to change momentum.

I'm not arguing we don't have secondary scoring, I'm arguing that we haven't had any lately...it is a problem NOW, and as a result those two players (Spezza and Karlsson) that have carried us LATELY to wins, almost ON THEIR OWN, may get to a point where they feel if it's not them, it will be no one THESE DAYS.

Right or wrong, you've gotta understand the mentality these guys go through if no one else is contributing offensively lately.
Sorry, still don't agree. The mentality they go through, are you a doctor?

Below doesn't support your case, you are arguing others are not contributing lately but they are. I think people have such high expectations for Karlsson & Spezza & because they like them so much they over exaggerate what they do. Karlsson or Spezza trying to do too much is because that's how they play & others aren't doing enough is simply not true. Spezza always wants the puck & has it most of the time, it's not that he is doing too much it's that he is a puck hog. He has numerous opportunities to pass the puck but he would rather go back into the big skate around then deke out a couple of players while the rest of the team stands around waiting to see what he is going to do. He is his own worse enemy. If I was Maclean I wouldn't let him skate the puck into the other end & have someone else shoot it in, he's is much better when the puck is already in the zone then bringing it in, he seems to lose it too often.

IMO it's what I've seen from Spezza many times, he's a puck hog & wants to make the highlight play & when he doesn't he gets frustrated. It seems last game that karlsson caught the same illness. They both need to simplify their game, stop being too fancy, make the safe play, don't try & beat everybody on the ice & use their teammates more. You hear coaches say it all the time, simplify your game. Mentality??? Maybe their heads are getting too big for their helmets, more like.

Last Ten Games Goal Scorers: Spezza (6), Karlsson (6), everybody else (23)

Florida - Neil & Cowen scored
Chicago - Michalek scored
Boston - Karlsson scored
NYI - Michalek, Spezza, O'Brien, Turris & Neil scored
Boston - Alfredsson (2) & Karlsson scored
Washington - Michalek (2), Karlsson, Phillips & Foligno
NYI - Spezza (2), Karlsson (2), Phillips & Lee
Florida - O'Brien, Michalek, Daugavins, Butler Alfredsson & Kuba
Tampa - Spezza (3), Karlsson
Edmonton - Karlsson, Alfredsson & Michalek

Old
03-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Sorry, still don't agree. The mentality they go through, are you a doctor?

Below doesn't support your case, you are arguing others are not contributing lately but they are. I think people have such high expectations for Karlsson & Spezza & because they like them so much they over exaggerate what they do. Karlsson or Spezza trying to do too much is because that's how they play & others aren't doing enough is simply not true. Spezza always wants the puck & has it most of the time, it's not that he is doing too much it's that he is a puck hog. He has numerous opportunities to pass the puck but he would rather go back into the big skate around then deke out a couple of players while the rest of the team stands around waiting to see what he is going to do. He is his own worse enemy. If I was Maclean I wouldn't let him skate the puck into the other end & have someone else shoot it in, he's is much better when the puck is already in the zone then bringing it in, he seems to lose it too often.

IMO it's what I've seen from Spezza many times, he's a puck hog & wants to make the highlight play & when he doesn't he gets frustrated. It seems last game that karlsson caught the same illness. They both need to simplify their game, stop being too fancy, make the safe play, don't try & beat everybody on the ice & use their teammates more. You hear coaches say it all the time, simplify your game. Mentality??? Maybe their heads are getting too big for their helmets, more like.

Last Ten Games Goal Scorers: Spezza (6), Karlsson (6), everybody else (23)

Florida - Neil & Cowen scored
Chicago - Michalek scored
Boston - Karlsson scored
NYI - Michalek, Spezza, O'Brien, Turris & Neil scored
Boston - Alfredsson (2) & Karlsson scored
Washington - Michalek (2), Karlsson, Phillips & Foligno
NYI - Spezza (2), Karlsson (2), Phillips & Lee
Florida - O'Brien, Michalek, Daugavins, Butler Alfredsson & Kuba
Tampa - Spezza (3), Karlsson
Edmonton - Karlsson, Alfredsson & Michalek
Look at the point totals in these games.

Secondary scoring is an issue.

Old
03-05-2012, 06:02 PM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

OT - Is it just me, or do Vancouver fans really seem to like the Sens all of a sudden?
(this seems like the best thread to put this in, cause they especially seem to love Karlsson)

KarlssonMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:43 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:

Lmao, this post kills me. So does anything else going against Karlsson.

Karlsson committed ONE bad move last night. Arguably two. His one bad move was the slash. EVEN THEN, the Sens got the penalty back 10 seconds later and were 4on4. Karlsson did not cost us the ****ing game.

If I was Karlsson I would have played the same, check back to periods one and two. Every single ****in time he would pass- or any of our defense to the forwards- they would lose it, especially Turris and Spezza not to mention the horrible Butler, forcing our defense man to hold onto the puck some more and leading into that bull****.

Our forwards were beyond horrible at receiving the puck and controlling it from the defenders. He tried to hold onto it at the end because nothing else was working and he got caught after getting hooked and whatnot and then took a penalty which we got back seconds later and yet HE is being blamed like no tomorrow?

If anything, Kuba played a horrific game from the get-go, worse than Karlsson.

Karlsson's worse move was the pinch that lead to the Skille goal. Even then, the cover was bad, board play by the forward was limited and support was no where.

We desperately need top-line scoring and secondary scoring to start clicking.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

Erik Karlsson has been fined $2,500 for the slash on Bergenheim.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=620779

Quote:
Ottawa Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson has been fined $2,500, the maximum allowed under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, for slashing Florida Panthers forward Sean Bergenheim in NHL Game No. 977 on Sunday, March 4, in Sunrise, Fla., the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 14:06 of the third period. A minor penalty for slashing was assessed to Karlsson.

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenacusMaximus View Post
Erik Karlsson has been fined $2,500 for the slash on Bergenheim.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=620779
Holy crap, I wonder if he'll have to rethink buying a new house now.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:52 AM
KarlSen

That slash was worth $2,500, but Kane gets his goon shot without a penalty. Karlsson is now a target, will the league have his back when he is gooned?

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote