HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New Jersey/Vancouver BLOCKBUSTER

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
So Vancouver is giving up a starting goalie, a slightly overpaid 3/4 d-man, a fringe second line winger who's expected to turn into a respectable 2nd line winger and a good second line forward who's still got a shot at turning into a first line forward for.... A top-4 man who's expected to turn into a decent #1 d-man and an elite 2
way first line forward who's questionably injury prone?

I honestly don't know what to think. That is a huge trade, but as far as
blockbuster deals go you've gotta hand it to the OP on this one. Not bad.
Did you really just say that? Seriously? This just might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. Edler is a #1 D-man, easily top 15 in the leauge, and on an absolute sweetheart of a deal.

If your allowed to say that then I'm going to call Larsson a bust. A guy who at best will turn out to be a 5/6 D-man. I'm also going to call Parise a mediocre 1st line winger who ideally would be on the 2nd line. What I just said was just as dumb as what you said about Edler.

Anyways, pretty awful deal for the Canucks. They give up a guy who is arguably a top 10 D in the leauge, a rookie on pace for 50 points, Schneider, and a 2nd line winger. In terms of value...
Edler>Larsson
Hodgson+Schneider+Raymond>Parise.

Brutal.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:46 AM
pucknutz
Rookie User

vCash: 500
crazy idea into the playoffs..never, off-season maybe

Old
02-14-2012, 12:54 AM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan View Post
ARe u ****ING insane that is our captain and Phil kessle our leading goal scoring.
[Ranier Wolfcastle voice]

That's the joke.

[/Ranier Wolfcastle voice]

Old
02-14-2012, 01:01 AM
El Duderino

Quote:
overpaid 3/4 d-man
Not sure if trolling, or just straight up ignorant. Edler is a 25 year old defenseman who makes $3.25M this season and next, who has put up 7 goals and 39 points in 56 games this year (nearly a 10 goal, 60 point pace) while playing well defensively, eating minutes and throwing some nice hits. The dude is an underpaid top-pairing defenseman.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:03 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Not sure if trolling, or just straight up ignorant. Edler is a 25 year old defenseman who makes $3.25M this season and next, who has put up 7 goals and 39 points in 56 games this year (nearly a 10 goal, 60 point pace) while playing well defensively, eating minutes and throwing some nice hits. The dude is an underpaid top-pairing defenseman.
I hope Edler thinks he's overpaid for us to extend him this summer.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Nice. I'm still in shock someone would have the ignorance to call Edler an overpaid 3/4 D man.
Nice to see that there are actual rival fans who can be objective when arguing and not be biased whatsover. Kudos to you, sir. I agree calling edler a top 3/4 overpaid defenceman is just ridiculous and downright laughable. Not sure what made him think that way.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:13 AM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara77 View Post
Nice to see that there are actual rival fans who can be objective when arguing and not be biased whatsover. Kudos to you, sir. I agree calling edler a top 3/4 overpaid defenceman is just ridiculous and downright laughable. Not sure what made him think that way.
I'm also a Canucks hater but Edler is one of the few players I like on that team. He's a stud and like someone else mentioned, under paid. Future Norris winner imo.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

I know others have already weighed in on the ridiculousness of calling Edler a slightly overpaid 3/4 dman, but it deserves piling on. Just an awful player evaluation, or a semi-decent troll.

Edit: and I wouldn't trade Edler for Parise straight up.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:31 AM
apice3*

Not only do we give up the best forward we've had possibly ever, but we're giving up the best young asset we have.

Gotta love HF.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Brentwood1

As a neutral blues fan, this deal is actually good value for both teams...

Old
02-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Not only do we give up the best forward we've had possibly ever, but we're giving up the best young asset we have.

Gotta love HF.
Not only do the Canucks give up their #1 defensman, they give up a rookie on pace for 50 points, a 2nd line winger, and a young goalie who should already be a starter.

Gotta love HF.

Oh yeah, this is all for an impending UFA, and a guy who at best will turn out to be Edler. Funny.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:

Gotta love HF.
Yeah, because the Devils get basically nothing in return. Especially players in positions that they aren't weak in AT ALL.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
02-14-2012, 02:02 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:

Gotta love HF.
Um yeah Vancouver is giving up nothing? just a top 10 D man who is on pace for 60pts only about 10 points less of what Parise is on pace for, our best young player we've had since the Sedins who is on pace for 50pts in his 1st NHL season with 3rd line mins, a 2nd line winger and a young soon to be star goalie who most Canuck fans want to keep and trade Luongo. Vancouver gets worse in this deal and we can't even afford Parise next contract anyways with the Sedins, Kesler and Booth all here.

Old
02-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Kip96

I like Adam Larsson and Parise is also very solid (big cap hit though) but the Canucks pass big time

Old
02-14-2012, 02:54 AM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Yeah, because the Devils get basically nothing in return. Especially players in positions that they aren't weak in AT ALL.
he didn't say the devils get nothing in return.

neither fan base would do this trade so there's no point in arguing about it.

Old
02-14-2012, 03:06 AM
sunnyvale420

Then let's close this thread. I vote that thread OPs must be held accountable. If a trade is reasonable, makes sense, and benifits both teams while appeasing thinking fans - those OPs should be cheered and given recognition fortheir triumph.

However, those who create trash trades out of ignorance, no knowledge, or bad trolling should be publicly outed on these boards.

Old
02-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

oh god somebody just called edler a 3rd d-man lmfao.

The guy who is top 5 in D scoring this year, and hits like a truck

Old
02-14-2012, 03:32 AM
huntison

Quote:
So Vancouver is giving up a starting goalie, a slightly overpaid 3/4 d-man, a fringe second line winger who's expected to turn into a respectable 2nd line winger and a good second line forward who's still got a shot at turning into a first line forward for.... A top-4 man who's expected to turn into a decent #1 d-man and an elite 2 way first line forward who's questionably injury prone?

I honestly don't know what to think. That is a huge trade, but as far as blockbuster deals go you've gotta hand it to the OP on this one. Not bad.
You friggin must mean ballard right?

Old
02-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

A signed Parise, Larsson and we have to add a second? Do you want us to add Henrique, Merill and our 1st rounders for the next 20 years as well? ****ing horrible.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:11 AM
MastuhNinks

Are people ITT serious saying that Larsson is Edler at best? Perhaps in terms of value right now but I think the sky is the limit for his ceiling. I mean I'm admittedly high on the kid but I think at best he could be much better than Edler is now (not to undermine Edler as a player, he's excellent).

EDIT: In Edler's first 'full' season (3 years after he was drafted) he scored 20 points in 75 games (22 point pace over a full season). Larsson, meanwhile, is scoring at a 27 point pace as an 18/19 year old. I think it's pretty clear that, 'at best' Larsson is at least a little bit ahead of Edler in terms of offensive upside, and I'd argue he has better defensive upside too. Whether or not he reaches that potential has yet to be seen, but let's give the kid credit where credit is due.

Last edited by MastuhNinks: 02-14-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old
02-14-2012, 05:36 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
A signed Parise, Larsson and we have to add a second?
You'd have to add a lot more than that for us to accept, actually.

If there's one thing that I'm taking away from this thread, it's that Alex Edler is still grossly underrated.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:40 AM
BeautBabeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Are people ITT serious saying that Larsson is Edler at best? Perhaps in terms of value right now but I think the sky is the limit for his ceiling. I mean I'm admittedly high on the kid but I think at best he could be much better than Edler is now (not to undermine Edler as a player, he's excellent).

EDIT: In Edler's first 'full' season (3 years after he was drafted) he scored 20 points in 75 games (22 point pace over a full season). Larsson, meanwhile, is scoring at a 27 point pace as an 18/19 year old. I think it's pretty clear that, 'at best' Larsson is at least a little bit ahead of Edler in terms of offensive upside, and I'd argue he has better defensive upside too. Whether or not he reaches that potential has yet to be seen, but let's give the kid credit where credit is due.

Hate this argument. Obviously not all players develop at the same rate. Look at Joe Thornton vs Sergei Samsenov for the bruins, 7 points in 55 for Joe, 47 in 81 for Sergei (and the Calder). Who turns into the better player?

PS, drafted in the same year and played on the same team.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

Pass... Just too many assets going the other way, and I don't think the Canucks are moving Hodgson any time soon... kid is just getting better game after game and is showing the potential he has as a 1st line player. Also his rookie contract is going to be huge for the Canucks next year...

Old
02-14-2012, 05:48 AM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautBabeC View Post
Hate this argument. Obviously not all players develop at the same rate. Look at Joe Thornton vs Sergei Samsenov for the bruins, 7 points in 55 for Joe, 47 in 81 for Sergei (and the Calder). Who turns into the better player?

PS, drafted in the same year and played on the same team.
So does one outlier mean we should just disregard stats early in a player's career completely?

Look, I'm not saying it's a fact that Larsson will be better than Edler, but to say that Larsson at his very best could only be as good as Edler is now is selling him short.

Old
02-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Hopeless Unbeliever

I also think Larsson's ceiling is probably higher than Edler's, but if he develops into the player Edler is at 25 (and is on Edler's contract at 25) I think Devils fans would be more than happy.

Also, I'm sure the gentleman above must have meant Ballard, I went back to double check it wasn't Ballard in the deal certainly.

Trying my best to take my homer glasses off, this is definitely a better deal for NJ than it is for Van. Both teams are pretty high on their 1st round draft picks in Larsson and Hodgson although Larsson has more value, but not enough to balance out the overpayment in Edler, Raymond, Schneider for Parise. Edler is very very good and is still improving.

Closed Thread