HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

2012 & 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide Series & Camping World Truck Series Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Eddie Shack

vCash: 500
Pocono is boring, even if it is shorter. Indy is Indy. Yeah, the racing sucks but being a historic venue I understand them going there. But there is no reason under the sun to run nationwide there. That's just plain stupid.

I'd be fine seeing a couple of more road courses. There seems to be enough passing opportunities on the road course to keep the races interesting and the courses are definitely challenging because they aren't just 4 symmetrical left turns. In fact I'd say they are more interesting than many of the ovals.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Pocono is boring, even if it is shorter. Indy is Indy. Yeah, the racing sucks but being a historic venue I understand them going there. But there is no reason under the sun to run nationwide there. That's just plain stupid.

I'd be fine seeing a couple of more road courses. There seems to be enough passing opportunities on the road course to keep the races interesting and the courses are definitely challenging because they aren't just 4 symmetrical left turns. In fact I'd say they are more interesting than many of the ovals.
Oh we are having this discussion again

A topic I always enjoy discussing.

To me making a race shorter is like admitting that the racing sucks.

It's almost like inflation. We can't make a profit on a 12 oz drink. So we will make it 10 oz and sell it for the same price and hope nobody notices.

So why go there, or more importantly why go there twice. How many times have they cut the distance down at New Hampshire?

The same thing is happening to Pocano now. First it was 500, now 400. In a few years it will be 300.

No need to go to these tracks 2x in a season when NASCAR only goes to Darlington once, Atlanta once. Could probably go to Montreal and other short tracks like Nashville be successful, ect ect.

If NASCAR keeps going to Pocano, New Hamshire and all these boring tracks where you can't have a decent race 75% of the time, that's just more sundays i won't be sitting in front of my tv for 4 hrs watching the race.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
What do you suggest as replacements for these tracks? Please don't say more 1.5 mile front stretch tri-oval tracks.

I would put Rockingham back on the schedule in place of one of the Kansas dates before I got rid of Indy or Pocono.
Agreed. I always liked Rockingham. It would eat the **** out of tires and it was always fun watching a guy get off sequence and watch him drive up through the field because he was about 10mph faster on new tires. A lot like the old Darlington. I'm not sure if it's been repaved or not since they stopped going there but it would be great if they brought it back. Taking 1 of the 1.5 or 2 mile snore-fests out would be ideal, but I'd even be fine with replacing one of the New Hampshire dates with The Rock, and I don't mind NHMS.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
Oh we are having this discussion again

A topic I always enjoy discussing.

To me making a race shorter is like admitting that the racing sucks.

It's almost like inflation. We can't make a profit on a 12 oz drink. So we will make it 10 oz and sell it for the same price and hope nobody notices.

So why go there, or more importantly why go there twice. How many times have they cut the distance down at New Hampshire?

The same thing is happening to Pocano now. First it was 500, now 400. In a few years it will be 300.

No need to go to these tracks 2x in a season when NASCAR only goes to Darlington once, Atlanta once. Could probably go to Montreal and other short tracks like Nashville be successful, ect ect.

If NASCAR keeps going to Pocano, New Hamshire and all these boring tracks where you can't have a decent race 75% of the time, that's just more sundays i won't be sitting in front of my tv for 4 hrs watching the race.
You do know that I'm in agreement with you, right?

Old
03-18-2013, 02:01 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
What do you suggest as replacements for these tracks? Please don't say more 1.5 mile front stretch tri-oval tracks.
rockingham, north wilkesboro, and road atlanta or elkheart lake.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Is North Wilkesboro still being maintained? I'm pretty sure someone was going to buy it years ago but nothing ever happened. It looks like they still have the "save the speedway" campaign going on.

I'm all for more road courses, and even one that would be featured as a Chase race, but a lot of fans of NASCAR hate them and it probably wouldn't go well.

Iowa might be one track that will get consideration from NASCAR soon.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
Agreed. I always liked Rockingham. It would eat the **** out of tires and it was always fun watching a guy get off sequence and watch him drive up through the field because he was about 10mph faster on new tires. A lot like the old Darlington. I'm not sure if it's been repaved or not since they stopped going there but it would be great if they brought it back. Taking 1 of the 1.5 or 2 mile snore-fests out would be ideal, but I'd even be fine with replacing one of the New Hampshire dates with The Rock, and I don't mind NHMS.
Rockingham has been re-paved since NASCAR stopped racing there and safer barriers were installed. The truck series ran there last year and they are working themselves back up the chain.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
I could be sooo down with any of those tracks replacing any of the boring (take your pick) races.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
You do know that I'm in agreement with you, right?
Yes, I know. I was just adding my 2 cents to your 2 cents.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
Yes, I know. I was just adding my 2 cents to your 2 cents.
LoL. I'm not sure our $0.04 is going to sway nascar. Year after year they have more fans attending the races disguised as empty seats but the rocket scientists at nascar can't figure it out. "Just bring in Danica, that's all we need". "Tell the drivers to lie about how good the gen 6 car is, that's all we need". "Send a nobody for PC training, that's all we need."

But I like how you think.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
LoL. I'm not sure our $0.04 is going to sway nascar. Year after year they have more fans attending the races disguised as empty seats but the rocket scientists at nascar can't figure it out. "Just bring in Danica, that's all we need". "Tell the drivers to lie about how good the gen 6 car is, that's all we need". "Send a nobody for PC training, that's all we need."

But I like how you think.
Thanks

Out of all the dumb ideas NASCAR has done over the years. One thing i think is really great is having Racebuddy for free for the Nationwide races.

I had my computer screen set on Kyle Busch for the Nationwide race and i got an eye opening on how drivers/crew chief/spotter truly interact and not the 5 sec clip fox shows me on their broadcast.

I also got to see the skill involved with dealing with lapped traffic. Chasing down cars for position, restarts, ect.

I barely watched the race on my 50 inch tv because i was so fixated on what Busch was doing and i got to watch racing during the endless commercials.

Bristol is a perfect venue for Racebuddy. Fontana where all the cars spread out after 15-20 laps, might not be as entertaining but i'll still give it a go.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Eddie Shack

Surprised nascar gives anything for free. Maybe their finally getting the hint.

I used to have season tickets to Fontana for many years but finally got fed up with everything about going to that race...Of course a buddy just called with free tickets so I'm going Sunday for the first time in about 5 years. Also going out Friday for quals...more free tix.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:29 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
Road America is already being run in Nationwide, (6/20-22), YOU likely won't see Road Atlanta, bc Atlanta handles that market on Labor Day

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:50 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Surprised nascar gives anything for free. Maybe their finally getting the hint.

I used to have season tickets to Fontana for many years but finally got fed up with everything about going to that race...Of course a buddy just called with free tickets so I'm going Sunday for the first time in about 5 years. Also going out Friday for quals...more free tix.
Been twice to the Cup race, once for IRL, once for Nationwide. Never paid for any of them. Not going this year though. Love going, it's right down the street, but ultimately other things took precedence so I decided not to pay for the first time. Regretting it now

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Been twice to the Cup race, once for IRL, once for Nationwide. Never paid for any of them. Not going this year though. Love going, it's right down the street, but ultimately other things took precedence so I decided not to pay for the first time. Regretting it now
I'm sure there are plenty of tickets available if you change your mind.

I've seen the IRL at Fontana quite a few times including in 1999 when Greg Moore died. Also last year when RHR just barely won the championship.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Fontana is my best track on NR 2003.

Not much else good about it. Well, it does promote Sunday afternoon nap time.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:50 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
43 entries for ACS; Notables: 19-Bliss; 30-Stremme, 32-Hill, 44-Riggs, & 55-Martin;

10 felony burglary charges dismissed against banned driver/owner Jeremy Mayfield;

42 entries for 40 spots in Nationwide's Royal Purple 300 @ ACS; Notables:

07-Harr;
15-Blum;
23-TBD;
33-Armstrong;
79-Harraka;
98-Swindell;

Carl Long still financially strapped after 200K Fine;

89-Shepherd may be forced out @ age 70; sponsorship now dictating schedule;

Last edited by CHRDANHUTCH: 03-19-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 11:03 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

note to Smoke as part of today's update:

Rush Truck Centers on the 14-Stewart entry; Bass Pro shifts back to the 1 of McMurray as part of its 2 race sponsorship;

NOS Energy joins RFR and the 17-Stenhouse, Jr.;

Cassill to sue BK Racing over $205K;

Clint Bowyer buys Emporia Motors (KS) Toyota dealership renamed Clint Bowyer Autoplex;

Nationwide:

Scott Riggs added to Royal Purple 300 entry list for TMG (#47)

Old
03-21-2013, 06:24 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Accell Construction returns to TBR/36/Yeley;

JJF (Jimmie Johnson Foundation) schematic added to Lowe's entry;

JJ also announcing "Helmet of Hope" presented by Blue Bunny Ice Cream in Iowa;

Mark Martin now overseeing MWR Training facility;

Video Slots center stage @ Gaming Tradeshow/Convention in Phoenix (3/24-27);

Sprint Fan Voting now open in 10th anniversary season for Sprint All Star Race (5/18);

Nationwide:

Driver update for Royal Purple 300: Harr to the 4 replacing Efland; 07 car withdrawn

Old
03-22-2013, 09:19 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

11-Hamlin secures pole for Auto Club 400 @ AC Speedway in Fontana; also apologizes for the Bristol run in w/ 22-Logano;

former team owner Warner Hodgdon to be memorialized by RCR @ AC;

VP-Media/Community Relations Director @ Sears Point/Infineon/Sonoma John Cardinale passes @ age 47 after battling stomach cancer;

Nationwide:

Driver updates for Royal Purple 300: Carl Long now in the 23; Tony Raines-70;

Above All Advertising joins JD Motorsports/Gary Keller as associates on both the 01/4;

MadsdiePlaceRock.com on 87-NEMCO/JRR (Nemechek)

Old
03-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Fontana after a restart = 7.5/10

Fontana 10 laps after a restart = 5/10

Fontana on a long green flag run = 2/10

Old
03-23-2013, 10:18 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Kyle Busch dominates NNS Royal Purple 300; 54th career win

Old
03-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

My Fox affiliate switched to SD right before that restart. I feel like I'm watching TV back in 2001.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Orange Thunder

Tuned in for the last 30 laps, great racing!

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Top 5 to all the way back in the mid 20's? WTF Tony.

The 22 may blow up.