HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2012, 10:00 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

vCash: 500
What's this garbage about Collberg? We've seen Collberg at the WJC. He's definitely not 5'9". 6' sounds about right unless he wears skates with heels...

Old
02-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Et le But

Anyone else on Team Forsberg?

Old
02-21-2012, 10:06 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
4-1 Oilers now. Nice.

I am drawing a bit of a blank...was Gusev on Grigorenko's line during the Russia-Q games in November?
Kuznetsov,Yakupov and Gusev was the line in the WJC's.Grigorenko only played in the Quebec game where Roy was coach for the Q.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:09 PM
TheGoalJudge

Anyone else think it's very possible we pick a defenceman?

Old
02-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Only if the 4 forwards (Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg) are all gone before we pick.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:24 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Only if the 4 forwards (Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg) are all gone before we pick.
Luckily we're in 27th right now! Lets keep on falling!

Old
02-21-2012, 10:25 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
I would be surprised personally.. I think Subban and Emelin are here for a long time, Gorges is signed long term, Diaz has looked pretty good at times this season and we have guys like Beaulieu Tinordi Ellis Bennett who all look very promising.. Having the chance to draft an impact foward is possibly something we will see once in a blue moon and something we havent had for years in the system, so hopefully we fall deep enough to draft a very good one cause this team really lacks top end skills up front..

Old
02-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Honestly, if we are picking top 4, I would be horrified with picking a defenceman. And I like Murray and Dumba, but it would be just overkill at this point.

How do you properly develop Beaulieu AND Tinordi AND Murray/Dumba over the next 3 years in the NHL? You can only have so many very young defencemen on your roster if you want to be competitive.

And I am in no mood to wait 4-5 years for this year's pick to play.

Furthermore, we've never had an issue finding quality defence prospects outside the top 10.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I am quite sure it will end up being either Forsberg or Galchenyuk. Grigorenko could fall past 2, but not sure about it. He is a very skilled player no doubt. His team is pretty bad in the Q.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
I am quite sure it will end up being either Forsberg or Galchenyuk. Grigorenko could fall past 2, but not sure about it. He is a very skilled player no doubt. His team is pretty bad in the Q.
But his team is coached by future Habs savior Patrick Roy no?

On a serious note..after Yakupov this team has a lot of good players who may or may not be great. When you consider there's no other must-haves, Grigorenko still makes sense as number 2, considering what position he plays and with the only other C in the draft with an equally high ceiling having a few questions themselves. Of course a lot of the other teams in the running need D badly, but I can't see Grigorenko dropping that much when you consider how much potential is there.

I actually think Galchenyuk might be a better fit for the Habs, but of course there's some questions there too. And I think Forsberg is a great fit for this team.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Beakermania*

Lets not forget the Devils still have to forfeit a first round pick, either this year or next year. I could very well see them forfeiting this years pick which would mean our second rounder moves up 1 spot. (and all subsequent picks).

Old
02-22-2012, 02:29 AM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Lets not forget the Devils still have to forfeit a first round pick, either this year or next year. I could very well see them forfeiting this years pick which would mean our second rounder moves up 1 spot. (and all subsequent picks).
Forgive my ignorance, but why do the Devils have to forfeit a pick?

Old
02-22-2012, 02:54 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but why do the Devils have to forfeit a pick?
attempt at cap circumvention re: kovalchuk's contract

Old
02-22-2012, 04:41 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
I'm not as up to date as everyone else in this stuff and I may have missed this, but simple question.

I know Alex G is injured and it made his rank go down, I also know that he still may be under grigo even if he were healthy. My question however is what is the pros and cons of both? Who's better skater, two-way player, offensive player, who has a better compete level? That's basically it.

Old
02-22-2012, 07:17 AM
WestIslander

We need to look at our needs and at this point our needs are at centre and on the wing, at defense we are in good shape for at least the next decade and we can build around: Gorges, Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Nash, if Tinordi and Beaulieu develop like they are speculated to then we are fine and might have the bext defense in the league one day.

So, I think that we need to land Grigorenko, Forsberg or Galchenyuk!

Grigorenko comparable = Malkin
Forsberg comparable = Forsberg and Hossa
Galchenyuk comparable = Hossa

At this point, I would also dangle Tomas Plekanec to a team with a top 10 pick and try to land another forward, maybe a Radek Faksa or even Brendan Gaunce.

Old
02-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
We need to look at our needs and at this point our needs are at centre and on the wing, at defense we are in good shape for at least the next decade and we can build around: Gorges, Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Nash, if Tinordi and Beaulieu develop like they are speculated to then we are fine and might have the bext defense in the league one day.

So, I think that we need to land Grigorenko, Forsberg or Galchenyuk!

Grigorenko comparable = Malkin
Forsberg comparable = Forsberg and Hossa
Galchenyuk comparable = Hossa

At this point, I would also dangle Tomas Plekanec to a team with a top 10 pick and try to land another forward, maybe a Radek Faksa or even Brendan Gaunce.
Not sure where you get the Malkin comparison. I saw him last weekend and he looks more like Pouliot than Malkin. Some are getting blinded by Grigorenko's strengths and ignoring his weaknesses.

I think if we get a top 5 pick, it would be a huge mistake to draft on need unless the players in question are even.

Old
02-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Tribu

The Canes won't draft a D-man in the first round. THey never do. Carolina, Buffalo and Columbus are the most likely to draft forwards with the top picks

Old
02-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasoad View Post
The Canes won't draft a D-man in the first round. THey never do. Carolina, Buffalo and Columbus are the most likely to draft forwards with the top picks
They picked Jack Johnson.

The draft is strong on defense, I wouldn't be surprised if 3 of the top 5 picks were Murray Dumba and Trouba.

Just look at the ridiculous prices paid for d-men at the deadline.

Edit. forgot about Murphy also.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 02-22-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old
02-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Ryan Murphy, 12th overall last year.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
They just drafted Ryan Murphy at 12.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm not as up to date as everyone else in this stuff and I may have missed this, but simple question.

I know Alex G is injured and it made his rank go down, I also know that he still may be under grigo even if he were healthy. My question however is what is the pros and cons of both? Who's better skater, two-way player, offensive player, who has a better compete level? That's basically it.
Galchenyuk is/was the better skater (we'll see where he's at once he returns in March) and has the better compete level, because apparently it's through the roof.

Grigorenko's game is built more on smarts and a cerebral approach rather than wowing you on every shift. He's the type of guy you won't notice much for a good chunk of the game but at the end of the night he has 2-3 points and can strike at any moment.

Offensively, from what I have seen, it's just about even in terms of hands skills.

Better two-way player? That I am not sure about.

If Galchenyuk had stayed healthy this year, I have no doubt he would be the 2nd pick in this draft.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:08 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'm happy picking 4th. Chances are with that we'll have our pick of Galchenyuk or Forsberg.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'm happy picking 4th. Chances are with that we'll have our pick of Galchenyuk or Forsberg.
Would you take Grigorenko if he fell at #4?

Old
02-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
If you were Timmins who would you pick of those two?

Old
02-22-2012, 09:15 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
You never know with this draft. All teams like Galchenyuk, so if he has a monster playoff, then he might get picked real high.

I really believe in picking the BPA, but I don't see how Edmonton could pass on Murray. Sure he's ranked lower than a couple of forwards, but I think he gets a bad rap for that game against Russia. He's an excellent player.

I think the Habs are eyeing Galchenyuk. Who is the last Swede they drafted? Torp in the 7th round a few years ago? I doubt they draft a Swede playing in a Tier 2 league.

Closed Thread